HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 1:10 AM

Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) designs "shifted" skyscraper in Frankfurt

Read More: http://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/metz_o

Quote:
On June 30, 2015, Danish firm Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG), led by Bjarke Ingels, released designs for a new mixed-use development sited in Frankfurt, Germany.

The project, which is a collaboration with local firm Bollinger + Grohmann, will house two types of office settings in addition to residences. The exterior is clad in upright partitions and windows, but broken up in the middle by a series of twisted floors. The subsequent extension of the floors create outdoor patios for residents. The architects chose this design method to accommodate for the urban setting so that it would both fit in and compliment the surrounding area.

BIG-Bjarke Ingels Group and Bollinger + Grohmann is announced as the winner of the international competition to design a new 185 m high rise in Frankfurt's downtown financial district, combining work, living and public areas under one roof. Located at the former Metzler Bank site in downtown Frankfurt, the 65.000 m2 / 645,835 sf mixed-use tower is the latest addition to the city’s evolving skyline.

Tishman Speyer, a leading international developer and fund manager headquartered in New York, selected the winning design from among a total of five proposals. Initial demolition work has already begun on the site, and the tower is estimated to be completed by 2018. Tishman Speyer is currently developing the new Deutsche Bank Campus and has so far completed the MesseTurm, OpernTurm and TaunusTurm buildings in the city’s financial district.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 1:07 AM

Fuck this pop architecture, and fuck BIG.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 9:50 AM
BANNED

You're crazy. BIG kicks ass. This building kicks ass. Shame so much of North America is opposed to design on this level.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 10:57 AM
don't *meddle*...

I don't like it, but it's a great deal better than the new 2WTC.

Last edited by hunser; Jul 10, 2015 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:34 PM

His work is absolutely garbage.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:47 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
You're crazy. BIG kicks ass. This building kicks ass. Shame so much of North America is opposed to design on this level.
He's an overrated hipster, know-it-all schmock. Just look at the 2WTC debacle where he praises his "design" as revolutionary. But in fact, it's just garbage, unfortunately a 1,300 foot tall one.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:52 PM
arf

He's gotten a bit derivative. I've liked some of his work and not so much others. This one I actually like quite a bit. It seems to work with the surrounding built environment. I don't like 2WTC as much. It's not fitting the context as well, but I don't hate it with the vitriol some have.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 9:49 PM
BANNED

Wait... I'm living under a rock. Did 2WTC get redesigned? It's no longer the Foster design?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 11:29 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Wait... I'm living under a rock. Did 2WTC get redesigned? It's no longer the Foster design?
Unfortunately, it did: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1089

Also, look up the 2 WTC thread for more info.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 3:27 PM
Ascension

I might be the minority on this one but I quite like this.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 3:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Don't forget the SSC thread for WTC2. Some funny stuff. We took it like civilized folk over here, but there...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 3:23 PM

This guy is pumping out some of the worst designs I've seen in a while. How many millions will he get paid to take a plain glass box and cantilever a few floors in the middle? It looks like someone tripped with the clay model and they just squared off the mistake spot. Of course he will use crazy meaningless expressive language to describe the 'synergistic energy of the perception shifting outdoor terraces'.

Quote:
What, a 5 year old level? Sorry we expect more from our 'starchitects' then a child's play blocks.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 10:16 PM

I haven't seen a building built like this before on this scale.

Perhaps I have simple tastes, but I quite like it.
(I also really like Frankfurt, so, maybe it's just me)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
He's an overrated hipster, know-it-all schmock. Just look at the 2WTC debacle where he praises his "design" as revolutionary. But in fact, it's just garbage, unfortunately a 1,300 foot tall one.
Apparently the new design for 2wtc is a masterpeice. Either that or its supporters over on the 2wtc thread have successfully pushed out all of those with a decenting opinion. If you go over there it is just a giant circle jerk of how great stacked boxes are.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Apparently the new design for 2wtc is a masterpeice. Either that or its supporters over on the 2wtc thread have successfully pushed out all of those with a decenting opinion. If you go over there it is just a giant circle jerk of how great stacked boxes are.
The 2WTC thread is a total mess, it consists of nothing but the same 2 obsessed users spamming words like "stunning!" and "gorgeous!" over and over and over again, occasionally paired with an image of an already seen render.

It's like if they tell themselves the same thing enough times eventually they'll actually believe it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
The 2WTC thread is a total mess, it consists of nothing but the same 2 obsessed users spamming words like "stunning!" and "gorgeous!" over and over and over again, occasionally paired with an image of an already seen render.

It's like if they tell themselves the same thing enough times eventually they'll actually believe it.
Yeah, I am done with it. I am sick of being personally attacked just for pointing out that the level of design of the new tower is something I would have received a D- for sophomore year.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 12:33 PM

BIG are building a suburban style office building and green space/park at Philly's Navy Yard now - recently announced:

Inhabitat describes the building’s design as “an optical illusion,” as the four-story structure appears to be leaning. To date, only rendering’s of the building’s exterior have been circulated. -

See more at: http://www.bdcnetwork.com/big%E2%80%....Tn0a9oqR.dpuf

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Yeah, I am done with it. I am sick of being personally attacked just for pointing out that the level of design of the new tower is something I would have received a D- for sophomore year.

Calm down Suze. Nobody is preventing posters from trolling New York threads. Heck 15 of your last 16 posts are about Two. Stop feigning oppression. If the cheerleader/troll dynamic is so upsetting to you, then maybe you should stay away. Or keep doing what your doing. No one cares.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 5:06 PM

At their best BIG does a clever job of mixing geometry and typology to make something new and interesting.

But nowadays everything they do is just doing geometric transformations (with little concern for anything else) for the sake of making iconic forms. They're cashing in by stacking/twisting/shifting boxes.

All that said this won't be a terrible building, and it's better than what most corporate firms would have done. But I also don't think BIG currently deserves to be considered proper "Architecture". But then again maybe BIG fits right in with most of the other starchitect firms. BIG is playful boxes and Zaha Hadid is sexy blobs, and neither of them go much deeper than that.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Calm down Suze. Nobody is preventing posters from trolling New York threads. Heck 15 of your last 16 posts are about Two. Stop feigning oppression. If the cheerleader/troll dynamic is so upsetting to you, then maybe you should stay away. Or keep doing what your doing. No one cares.
Like you bring so much to the conversation... And no one asked you for your opinion. Go ahead and keep spouting nonsense if you want slick, but I've got news for you, no one cares about you on here either. Its an internet forum for people to spout opinions about billion dollar projects that they have no direct control over. By the way, it was 6/16 posts. Great counting skills smart one.

Last edited by Guiltyspark; Aug 23, 2015 at 1:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture