HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
Perhaps there could be a marketplace with street-vendors and such. It could be a small performance area with dancing/musical performers, or a place where public demonstrations (like the tobacco "truth" ads or something) are held. If there is enough pedestrian traffic, I could see this space being put to good use. Don't know how protective they are of that space though. It seems that after the majority of Peachtree is developed in this area (with buildings/stores up to the street), this open space might be valued and could be put to great use.
I would bet that the feds have very strict requirements about access to their buildings and their proximity to the road after the OK City bombing in 1995. The Federal Reserve was built so far back from Peachtree for a reason, and I am sure the aftermath of the OKC bombing played a big role in determining the building's placement on the site. With that said, I would bet that there is little they will let "us" do to utilize all that wasted space along Peachtree.

For all we know, the U.S. government might have had a significantly worse original plan for that site and the plaza in front of the Federal Reserve building may actually be the result of some type of compromise with the Midtown Alliance. Terminus - what do you know about the history of that project?

Rather than trying to do something with the Reserve building, I feel that the Midtown Alliance would have a much better chance convincing the federal government of the benefits of selling their anti-urban FDA building at Peachtree and 8th to a private developer and should focus any efforts with the feds on that.

Last edited by cokezero; Apr 12, 2007 at 8:34 PM. Reason: I had my dates wrong!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 8:32 PM

Even though it won't be a row of storefronts, I don't think it's all that bad. At least it has a park and greenspace...this could potentially be a place for people to go relax between shopping and dinner for example.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 8:35 PM

From Midtown Alliance:

http://www.midtownalliance.org/Docum...Tour_07_04.pdf

Not much new EXCEPT a picture of the added retail to 999 Peachtree (#21) and a picture of the new Mandarin Hotel (#13)!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNofAtlanta View Post
From Midtown Alliance:

http://www.midtownalliance.org/Docum...Tour_07_04.pdf

Not much new EXCEPT a picture of the added retail to 999 Peachtree (#21) and a picture of the new Mandarin Hotel (#13)!
Your link isn't working.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 8:42 PM

Here's the link: Midtown Development Tour

The Mandarin Oriental is...interesting. I think I like it!

Last edited by galaca; Apr 12, 2007 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 8:55 PM

It's freakin' awesome. Probably will be one of Midtown's most beautiful. I love the sloping roofline down to the street.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaca View Post
Alton Brown is awesome. I love how he gives you the "science" behind cooking. One FN "chef" I cant stand, however, is Sooondra Llllee and her wretched "food" kreations.

For the Midtown Mile, does anyone know if something is planned at the Federal Reserve. I know they probably wont allow any construction there, but can something be done to minimze this huge break in the street wall? I think a really attractive fence could be put up (to sort of give people something to "push" back on) or is that totally anti-urban?
I'm with you...something about Sandra Lee just gets under my skin.

I think she might need 12-step meetings are something...have you ever noticed how she always has a cocktail or two on the menu, even if she's doing a kid's menu????

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 9:07 PM
Urban Explorer

It's kind of...goofy. Reminds me of a building in Dubai. Either way, though, it will be something new architecturally for Atlanta, and the base looks awesome!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanthemanatl View Post
I'm with you...something about Sandra Lee just gets under my skin.

I think she might need 12-step meetings are something...have you ever noticed how she always has a cocktail or two on the menu, even if she's doing a kid's menu????
Oh yes! Sooondra lllloves her cocktail time! On one episode recently she even made a gag-worthy "kiddie kocktail." It was mostly giant chunks of fruits with an odd combination of jooses.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaca View Post
Oh yes! Sooondra lllloves her cocktail time! On one episode recently she even made a gag-worthy "kiddie kocktail." It was mostly giant chunks of fruits with an odd combination of jooses.
I don't know the woman and I don't know the show, but the idea of introducing little kids to "cocktails" is a little questionable...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Even though it won't be a row of storefronts, I don't think it's all that bad. At least it has a park and greenspace...this could potentially be a place for people to go relax between shopping and dinner for example.
I agree. it may not be urban or anything but at least it's interesting and potentially useful. If lines of street level retail have to be broken up by something, I don't mind it being this.

Oh, and Sandra Lee is clearly an alcoholic. Not only does she have a cocktail in every show she adds alcohol to EVERY recipe! regardless of whether or not it's at all appropriate. She craaaaaazy

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 5:06 AM

Mandarin Oriental Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:48 PM

Keep in mind that at the same time we all would like street level all the way up and down Peachtree, many of us have also expressed a desire for pocket type parks. The space in front of the federal reserve is a nice public park and I believe it fills the "pocket parks" requirement perfectly.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 12:54 AM

Midtown has pocket Parks

Retail development is like a great smile -- there cannot be too many gaps -- if you want sucess. Retail must be contiuous -- block to block, corner to corner.

In addition to the 180-acre Piedmont Park (just a couple blocks away) Midtown Mile is dotted with pocket parks - Bank of America, BellSouth, Spire Plaza, Margret Mitchell House, The Federal Reserve. The strret's leftover spaces must become retail if the Midtown Mile is to truly develop as a retail corridor.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 1:51 PM

As far as your list goes, the onle ones I feel could be considered parks are BoA, and BellSouth. Spire, and the Margeret Mitchell house have maybe 200 sq feet each, and Spire's is really just concrete. Furthermore, you can't hang around in the Bank of America and Bellsouth "parks" for too long before they start trying to get you out of there (I tried while I was in school).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popewiz View Post
As far as your list goes, the onle ones I feel could be considered parks are BoA, and BellSouth. Spire, and the Margeret Mitchell house have maybe 200 sq feet each, and Spire's is really just concrete. Furthermore, you can't hang around in the Bank of America and Bellsouth "parks" for too long before they start trying to get you out of there (I tried while I was in school).
Yeah, you need more than just grass to have a pocket park. Some centralized, inviting seating, maybe a fountain or sculpture, even a sign declaring it to be a "park" rather than the anteroom to BOA etc., would be helpful. Creating a streetscape where people feel comfortable hanging out in between appointments/shopping trips/dog walkings is something Atlanta has never really gotten the hang of.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 12:47 PM

Midtown MIle Video on Google

Just found this link snoopiong around:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=midtown+mile

I think it is on the MM website - but nice to see it on Google also.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:45 PM

Brand new Viewpoint Video

Brand new Viewpoint on the Midtown Mile Video online now:
http://www.viewpointmidtownmile.com/
What happened to the CVS and Gordon Biersch?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 7:41 PM

Love the Viedo!!!!! This is Novares best website yet. It makes me want to buy a unit and I don't even really like the building! Great job!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlaxican View Post
Love the Viedo!!!!! This is Novares best website yet. It makes me want to buy a unit and I don't even really like the building! Great job!!
That video isn't advertising the residences - it's advertising the retail space!

Check out http://www.viewpointmidtown.com for information on the residences.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta