HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 1:35 AM

What would have been a better design for the Mercedes Benz stadium

the moving panels should have composed the upper half of the outer wall and one eighth of the roof. position on the left shows the stadium almost closed and position on the right shows the stadium completely open.

instead, they went with a translucent indoor stadium that essentially has a fancy looking skylight. it's still not an outdoor stadium and doesn't offer that experience. something like above would of course be a lot more engineering and would require pretty large motors to retract the roof. but they've done more at other stadiums.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

the moving panels should have composed the upper half of the outer wall and one eighth of the roof. position on the left shows the stadium almost closed and position on the right shows the stadium completely open.

instead, they went with a translucent indoor stadium that essentially has a fancy looking skylight. it's still not an outdoor stadium and doesn't offer that experience. something like above would of course be a lot more engineering and would require pretty large motors to retract the roof. but they've done more at other stadiums.
That would've been nice. I really wish when the roof was open, it would give a true outdoor experience.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 3:04 PM

Arthur Blank wanted an outdoor stadium but once it was determined that keeping the Dome and building another stadium was not feasible, that possibility was basically out the window due to all of the events that will held at the new stadium. And I wouldn't call it a small opening because it is the size of the football field, but of course it won't feel anything like an outdoor stadium. On the other hand it will be a lot more open than the Dome ever could be. The design of the roof is already complicated enough to cause a major delay in its construction and increased cost of the stadium.

If an outdoor experience was the primary objective, they would have chosen the other option.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Arthur Blank wanted an outdoor stadium but once it was determined that keeping the Dome and building another stadium was not feasible, that possibility was basically out the window due to all of the events that will held at the new stadium. And I wouldn't call it a small opening because it is the size of the football field, but of course it won't feel anything like an outdoor stadium. On the other hand it will be a lot more open than the Dome ever could be. The design of the roof is already complicated enough to cause a major delay in its construction and increased cost of the stadium.

If an outdoor experience was the primary objective, they would have chosen the other option.

I understand what you are saying. I believe that there are other companies who could've accomplished more of an outdoor feel. The new stadium going up in Minnesota is really cool.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I understand what you are saying. I believe that there are other companies who could've accomplished more of an outdoor feel. The new stadium going up in Minnesota is really cool.
Do you think the stadium in Minnesota will have more "outdoor feel"? From what I see, I don't.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
Do you think the stadium in Minnesota will have more "outdoor feel"? From what I see, I don't.
It's a dome with a partial-glass roof. It won't retract at all. And it still cost $1+ billion.

At the end of the day, I think it is ultra difficult and expensive to engineer and build a fully retractable stadium that will work properly at all times. That's why you don't see many of them around the world, if any exist at all.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta