HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 2:43 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Work has now begun on the new Bryce Parkway that will connect 5th Ave E with Hackberry Lane.

Also, the parking deck for the sorority-monstrosity is nearly finished.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 8:44 PM

The mew band field looks awesome.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 9:49 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I know opted for artificial turf because of durability, but I always HATED marching turf. Just one of the many reasons I hated away games at Ole Miss... Reasons I hate it? Artificial turf marches faster than real grass and it gets incredibly hot.

So, yea, it looks awesome, but it's a pain in the ass to have to rehearse so much on field turf and suddenly perform on real grass...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 12:06 PM

Ah, never thought of that. I hated playing on turf when I played football high school.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:04 AM

UA signs research deal with Japanese electronics maker

Quote:
Japanese electronics manufacturer TDK Corp. and the University of Alabama have signed a research agreement focused on the next generation of new magnetic materials that could lead to technology breakthroughs in electronics.

The agreement between TDK and UA's Center for Materials for Information Technology (MINT) builds on an existing relationship between the two, according to Carl Pinkert, UA vice president of research and economic development.

"This takes that relationship to a much higher level," Pinkert said.

He said he also hopes the new agreement, which formally begins Sept. 1, will lead to future development of ideas and collaborative opportunities.

"This is just the start; that is something I am extremely enthusiastic about," Pinkert said.

The research agreement will focus on the development of alternative materials to rare-earth elements in magnets and soft magnet metals in high-frequency devices that allow for reductions of size, weight and cost of components.

"This collaboration between TDK and UA should help to better overcome the challenges in new magnetic materials development," said Kyung-Ku Choi, general manager of TDK's Material Development Center, in comments released by UA. "TDK believes that strong inroads have been made and pose timely opportunities in the development of both high frequency soft magnetic material and rare-earth free magnets through our collaborative efforts."

Choi recently signed the agreement with Pinkert in Japan, according to the announcement by UA.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:15 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Nice news!!!!!

Just some updates from the campus.....

It seems that work has begun on the parkway that will connect Hackberry to 5th Ave.

Also, work on the new classroom building between Shelby Hall and Bryce is progressing. Steel and reinforced concrete have made their way to the second floor.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 1:04 AM

UA-housed APR Named Best News Operation in Alabama

Quote:
The Alabama Associated Press honored Alabama Public Radio, housed in The University of Alabama’s Digital Media Center, as “Most Outstanding News Operation” in the state.

This is the fourth year in a row APR has received the award.

Student interns Valese Jones, of Birmingham, and Jasmine Haynes, of Grayson, Georgia, represented the newsroom at the Associated Press Media Editors’ annual awards banquet in Birmingham.

Both Jones and Haynes major in telecommunication and film at UA.

“Getting to see examples of the work that people were rewarded for was also a highlight for me,” Jones said. “The experience motivated me to work harder at my craft so I can one day be an award-winning journalist.”

“I was able to network and get a better understanding of what the news industry is all about,” Haynes said. “It was amazing to see what some of the other stations within Alabama covered throughout the year.”

The “Most Outstanding News Operation” award represents work accomplished in 2014. Among the stories covered was a year-long examination, by APR in tandem with AL.com, of the implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

The news team also looked back on the 150th anniversary of the battle of Mobile Bay during the U.S. Civil War. Historians credit this naval engagement with helping to end the “war between the states,” and putting Abraham Lincoln into a second term in office.

APR was similarly honored by the AP in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Along with the “Most Outstanding News Operation” award, APR’s Stan Ingold won “Best Sports” for “Wheelchair Boxing,” about a training program for University of Alabama’s adapted athletics program sponsored by WBC Heavyweight boxing champion Deontay Wilder.

The news team also won for “Best Documentary” and “Best Use of Tape” for “Damn The Torpedoes,” APR’s news special about the 150th anniversary of the battle of Mobile Bay.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 1:05 AM

UA Researchers Reanalyzing Tennessee Valley Artifacts in New Project

Quote:
Pieces of the past can tell a great deal about the people who once were — who they were, what they did and how they did it — and University of Alabama researchers are discovering new information about those who once called the Tennessee Valley home.

In a collaborative effort with the Tennessee Valley Authority, UA’s Office of Archaeological Research has begun a rehabilitation project on collections that were gathered 80 years ago with artifacts that span a 13,000-year time period.

“We’re seeing some of the most incredible archaeological materials ever excavated in the state of Alabama,” said Matt Gage, director of UA’s Office of Archaeological Research. “We’re discovering things that weren’t seen during the initial analysis.

“It’s relatively rare these days in excavations to find intact vessels, but we have hundreds of intact vessels,” Gage said. “Huge sandstone bowls, huge soapstone bowls … the material we’re seeing is the premiere material. It’s the best of the best. The art work on some of these vessels is just absolutely incredible.”

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 1:10 AM

Then also, new UA president, Stuart Bell, spent his first day meeting the students. Good guy. Ever since being announced the president, I've seen him all over Tuscaloosa and the University. He seems to be very inclined on getting UA more research and marketing the University for more than just collegiate sports.

New University of Alabama president spends first day meeting students

Quote:
New University of Alabama President Stuart Bell has spent his first days on the job meeting with students, faculty and local officials, beginning his presidency with assurances he would be accessible.

“Certainly, first and foremost, I want to be out there and accessible to our faculty and staff,” Bell said Wednesday.

Bell used part of his first official day as president to visit the Fresh Food Co., which was crowded with a lunchtime rush of incoming freshman on campus for orientation. Bell, shadowed by photographers from the university and local media, shook hands with students in the dining hall, as well as posing for photos. Bell said he was using the beginning of this time on campus to connect with students and their aspirations while at Alabama.

“The reason I want to be part of the university is I love young people, and I love the ability to help them aspire and achieve their dreams,” Bell said.

On Wednesday, Bell reiterated commitments that UA would remain a student-

centered institution as well as a resource, both locally and statewide, for research and economic development. A

student-centered world view and emphasis on research were among the priorities sought by the search committee that nominated Bell and among his initial talking points during his appointment by the UA board of trustees last month.

“My concern is to make sure we are doing everything we can to provide the environment on our campus that is going to help us succeed in our mission to help our students succeed,” Bell said.

Bell’s first official day was Wednesday, but he has spent the first days of the week meeting with members of the UA and Tuscaloosa communities. Bell’s meetings included talks with his predecessor, former UA President Judy Bonner, and Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox.

Bell said his message was that the university under his leadership would continue to build on UA’s momentum of the last decade and its existing relationships.

“You certainly accomplish an awful lot working with external groups, but the message I want to send is we are not perfect ... There is probably some things we need to be doing better, certainly from UA’s perspective,” Bell said. “We are going to continue to build on the great relationships we have already established but also make sure we are hand-in-glove in terms of our communication to make sure we are addressing the challenges we have in the future.”

Pending review and approval by the UA board of trustees’ compensation committee, Bell will make $625,000 annually in base pay and be eligible for a $105,000 per year as a goals-based performance incentive, according to the offer letter from UA Chancellor Robert Witt.

As president, Bell, like his predecessors, will be required to live at UA’s president’s mansion. The offer also includes a $12,000 per year automobile allowance.

With Bell on campus, UA will resume the search for a permanent provost, which was put on hold by Bonner to allow her replacement to participate in the process. The search will restart soon, Bell said. The interim provost is Kevin Whitaker.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:54 PM

Eleventh cannonball is unearthed near UA's Rowand-Johnson Hall

Quote:
Work crews at the University of Alabama uncovered a cannonball on Friday near the site where a cache of 10 were discovered last month.

The crews discovered the Civil-War-era cannonball on Friday morning while installing wiring for lighting and irrigation systems in front of Rowand-Johnson Hall to the northwest of the Quad.

Employees were asked to leave the building, and the stretch of Stadium Drive in front of the hall was closed for about 45 minutes while explosive ordnance disposal technicians from the Tuscaloosa Police Department removed the cannonball, said Cathy Andreen, UA media relations director.

Like the previous cache, the cannonball will be returned to the university museums' collection if successfully defused, Andreen said.

The site was scanned with ground penetrating radar in June, but the cannonball discovered Friday went undetected. At the time, a pile of soil prevented the spot from being scanned, Andreen said.

The area was rescanned with a metal detector and ground-penetrating radar on Friday, but no further signs of buried shells were discovered, she said.

On Friday afternoon, a crew from UA's Office of Archeological Research was scanning the area in front of Rowand-Johnson Hall with ground-penetrating radar along grid lines.

Virgil Beasley, a cultural resources investigator with the office and part of the team conducting the survey, was unsurprised the previous scan missed the cannonball.

"It would be probably very hard to detect that single cannonball if you weren't expecting it," he said.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 1:56 AM

University of Alabama expects to complete Bryce road work in summer 2016

Quote:
The University of Alabama expects to complete work on a new academic building and road, both currently under construction on the historic Bryce Hospital campus, by next summer.

The $31.4 million academic building on the west side of the Bryce Lawn is scheduled to be completed and ready to open by August 2016, Assistant Vice President for Construction Tim Leopard said. Crews now are putting up the structural steel for the building.

The building sits near the future intersection of Peter Bryce Boulevard and Hackberry Lane. The new boulevard, named after the hospital's first superintendent, and North Campus Way are part of a $24 million road project on the Bryce campus that would connect Fifth Avenue, Hackberry Lane and Jack Warner Parkway. Peter Bryce Boulevard is scheduled to be completed next summer, Leopard said.

Crews are in the process of demolishing buildings on the Bryce campus that are in the path of the roads. The AM Kidd 32 East and greenhouse have already been torn down. Crews are currently pulling down the old power plant/piggery building. The buildings are part of the second phase of the demolitions on the Bryce campus. The other outlying structures slated for demolition include the North 1 building, the dairy barn, fuel tank building, auto shop, adolescent unit, laundry, warehouse, lawn shop, stables, pavilions, engineer's office and morgue.

The main Bryce building is being renovated for use as a welcome and cultural center, museum, and facility for UA's department of theatre and dance.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 1:18 AM

I haven't seen this go underway yet. Anyone know when this is suppose to get started?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:14 AM
Cat Enthusiast

WOW! I've been wondering what the University was going to do with that property. I'm impressed!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 12:43 PM

I haven't gotten any pics of the new baseball facility yet, but man is it beautiful. I honestly cannot wait until baseball season, even with coach Gaspard still at the helm.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:22 PM

There's a new building being built on Hackberry. I must have been blinded because I didn't hear one damn thing about this building, but it looks like a new academic center. Also the old insane asylum is now being renovated, as it has been for the past year now.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
I haven't gotten any pics of the new baseball facility yet, but man is it beautiful. I honestly cannot wait until baseball season, even with coach Gaspard still at the helm.
http://www.rolltide.com/view.gal?id=182578

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:59 PM

I read where UA dropped to #96 overall in the US News College rankings. Still ahead of AU and TN, but that is the third consecutive year of us dropping. I wonder if Dr. Witt leaving a few years ago had anything to do with it. I know our Retention rate is a little below our peers and that our ranking with high-school counselors are lower than AU. Maybe we should focus more on in-state recruitment.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 8:43 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
I read where UA dropped to #96 overall in the US News College rankings. Still ahead of AU and TN, but that is the third consecutive year of us dropping. I wonder if Dr. Witt leaving a few years ago had anything to do with it. I know our Retention rate is a little below our peers and that our ranking with high-school counselors are lower than AU. Maybe we should focus more on in-state recruitment.
My adviser, who is an associate dean, has said that the instate HS graduates are basically tapped out; that's one of the reasons we recruit so many out of state students.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
That's a pretty bad drop considering UA was as high as what? 75? I expected UA to move up from the 80s last year due to the progress its made. School of Accountancy moved up to 8th in the nation, Law School is knocking at the top 20, and various numbers of research.

Hopefully Stuart Bell can get things rolling again.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 10:18 PM

Baseball field is looking good!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast