HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:58 PM

Austin NIMBY story - some of you are familiar with

Neighborhoods oppose three Austin projects that would boost density
Residents' concerns are similar - traffic, environment, fitting in.
Click-2-Listen
By Suzannah Gonzales

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

In Tarrytown, a development of more than two dozen townhomes and condominiums is planned for Exposition Boulevard. In West Balcones, designs are under way for a community of 362 rental apartments. In North Loop, there were plans for a four-story project of 250 luxury apartments.

And in each neighborhood, residents have opposed them.

(enlarge photo)

MOST POPULAR STORIES
Neighborhoods oppose three Austin projects that would boost density
Nebraska's skid takes edge off its Texas trip
Longhorns football notebook
First commuter cars arrive in Austin
Time Warner Cable at odds with NFL Network
Share This Story
del.icio.usdigg
Newsvinereddit
Yahoo!Facebook
What's this?
They have gone door to door, collected signatures, started Web sites, contacted city officials. In the North Loop case, the developer pulled out after a swell of opposition.

In neighborhoods throughout the city, residents have mobilized against specific developments. The projects are the kind that city leaders want — the dense kind.

The residents have common concerns: The development isn't compatible with its surroundings, and it will increase traffic, burden infrastructure and add stress to the environment, they say. The residents say they're not against density, just where it's proposed.

The developers say some of the concerns are unfounded, that vocal residents aren't representative of entire neighborhoods and that it's hard to make everyone happy.

By and large, the 80 neighborhoods that decided whether to allow increased density lot by lot have supported vertical mixed use, said Austin City Council Member Brewster McCracken. He said a small handful of neighborhoods, including Allandale, East Riverside Drive and Hyde Park, don't want any more density, even on major corridors.

The West Balcones and Tarrytown sites were not among those the neighborhoods considered in deciding about vertical mixed use. Neighborhood residents did opt in for vertical mixed use on the North Loop site.

"We're not trying to jam density in the neighborhoods. But we do have to plan responsibly for the future," McCracken said.

Setting precedent?

About 750 petition signatures have been collected opposing multifamily zoning for a 2.2-acre site on Exposition Boulevard, formerly part of the Austin State School grounds. The City Council postponed the matter until next month, suggesting that a facilitator meet with neighbors and the developer, Burlington Ventures Inc.

Area residents say that multifamily zoning would set a bad precedent if other parts of the school are sold.

They also are facing potential commercial development on the nearby 345-acre Brackenridge tract owned by the University of Texas.

The proposal for 27 townhomes and condominiums on Exposition is too dense, they say. They said they would support a buffer on the Austin State School property and along Exposition that would allow six units per acre.

The developer disagrees that the plan is out of character for the neighborhood, pointing to other multifamily and commercial properties in the area. Also, the complex would offer a variety of housing options, the developer says, and it would be held to strict standards because it would sit on environmentally sensitive land.

Concerns about setting precedent are premature, said Steve Beuerlein of Burlington Ventures. "It presumes that the state will sell off the property piecemeal."

There are no plans to sell or redevelop any more of the property, said Cecilia Fedorov, an Austin State School spokeswoman.

Displacement fears

David Kobierowski is among the West Balcones residents concerned about a proposed zoning change for the Northcastle Apartment Homes at 8100 N. MoPac Blvd. He worries that current residents of the complex, which would be demolished, will lose their homes, which rent for about $650 a month.

Brent Stewart of Trammell Crow Residential said it plans to offer tenants — about 65 percent of the complex's 170 units are occupied — a relocation program that includes refunding security deposits and right of first refusal on affordable units, which might be included in the new development. The average rent for the 362 apartments will be $1,500.

Trammell Crow is under contract to purchase the property, Stewart said. The project still needs the zoning change to allow for the development; a hearing on that was postponed until next month.

Question of suitability

North Loop residents used the Web site ilovenorthloop.org to get the word out about a four-story, mixed-use project with 250 apartments planned in their area.

Jody Horton, a founding member of the Web site, said residents aren't against vertical mixed-use developments or adding density. "There are sites that are suited for it, and there are sites that are not suited for it," Horton said. Traffic is the main concern.

In a 77-76 vote, residents registered their opposition to the project during an Oct. 1 neighborhood meeting after a door-to-door campaign against it.

The opposition came despite the fact that the proposal aligned with the neighborhood plan, said Sebastian Wren, president of the Northfield Neighborhood Association. After the neighborhood voted no, Endeavor Real Estate Group terminated the contract to buy the former site of Howard Nursery on East Koenig Lane.

"A few very organized people really can derail something like this," said Wren, who supports density.

Jamil Alam, of Endeavor, said he enjoyed working with the neighborhood and would do it again, but he was disappointed. "Silly us, we thought the neighborhood wanted a VMU project," Alam said.

The dissenters were misleading about the impact on traffic, he said. And he said he can't react to every request or negotiate the development with different neighbors.

"I'm trying to figure out who won," Alam said, referring to the sellers, developers and neighborhood. "As I see it, everyone lost."

sgonzales@statesman.com; 445-3616

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:29 PM

I would write more, but I don't want to get banned.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:35 PM

Not only do they need to put multi-family over there, they need to put some affordable housing over there too

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:24 PM
passion for patterns

This is so infuriating. This article is one of the reasons I was happy to leave Austin. So short-sighted. "We support density, but not anywhere actually within Austin - perhaps in Houston we support it, but 10 condos will overburden our Mercedes' access to Exposition Boulevard!"

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:31 PM

I think these few Neighborhood association leaders personally don't want this... and they are more vocal than the majority. They can swing votes and delete posts on their web sites.

The NA'a and public input process is a little too overboard in Austin IMO. Certainly with the NAs as there are no requirements for that position.

To an extent the best cities in the world were built by Kings and Popes...

This will be THE biggest issue facing Austin as it matures... will the city change to become more progressive?? ...because the vocal residents IN the city certainly are not.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:44 PM

I'm sorry to say, but I can't say that I blame them. Look around at 20 year old apartments. They are typically not well kept. The tax code certainly helps with this, after 10-20 years, everything in the building is depreciated and it is time to sell. Often to someone who does not perform huge reinvestments. These big developments are typically run by national management companies who are profit driven and don't see the local area on a daily basis. It would take some strong real estate codes and enforcement to get this to change. Which of course would drive up costs and make these developments more costly. The city of Austin probably needs to change just as much as the attitudes of people in these neighborhoods.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:51 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
I'm sorry to say, but I can't say that I blame them. Look around at 20 year old apartments. They are typically not well kept. The tax code certainly helps with this, after 10-20 years, everything in the building is depreciated and it is time to sell. Often to someone who does not perform huge reinvestments. These big developments are typically run by national management companies who are profit driven and don't see the local area on a daily basis. It would take some strong real estate codes and enforcement to get this to change. Which of course would drive up costs and make these developments more costly. The city of Austin probably needs to change just as much as the attitudes of people in these neighborhoods.
They're complaining about traffic and "environment", not about decaying buildings. Most of the older condos in the nice neighborhoods have aged well. It's the cheap stuff off East Riverside that hasn't.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
They're complaining about traffic and "environment", not about decaying buildings. Most of the older condos in the nice neighborhoods have aged well. It's the cheap stuff off East Riverside that hasn't.
That might be what they are complaining about publicly because it is a more defensible argument. Older condo's may age well, but I don't see too many apartments that have.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 7:58 PM

I live around north loop... several older places have been remodelled and look retro 50's chic... pretty well done.

The big complaints are traffic however. If you live in central city Austin I think you should carry a responsiblity related to the city's culture to protect the environment and minimize sprawl traffic. density is one thing we must adapt to.

All of the proposals turned down were VMU so you are spared a bit from the traditional small scale urban apartments that may eventually dillapidate. In contrast these developments would only raise property value in their neighborhoods.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 8:02 PM

Tarrytown residents opposing development proposals is hardly news.

With that said, where on Exposition is the land that used to be part of the Austin State School? The only part I'm aware of is the area that is currently part of the school, near 35th Street.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 9:58 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/22/real...ion=2007102215

I saw this today. Seems to be on topic.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
That might be what they are complaining about publicly because it is a more defensible argument. Older condo's may age well, but I don't see too many apartments that have.
Exactly, they just consider that a more acceptable public reason than we don't want apartments around.

When I read that article, NIMBY is what I thought. Many of those people are in favor of more density, just Not In My Back Yard. I also get tired of the "property values" mantra being used to block anything and everything...of course if we were "over-mortgaged" it might be a consideration but they have put themselves in that situation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin