HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 2:52 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ I love purple light blocks! What was the point of those things anyhow? They are so cool that they must have an awesome purpose!
Here's the story as I know it: I might well be corrected.

When the city raised the sidewalks to accommodate the sewer system, many of the old front doors were thrown into darkness. The compromise with property owners (who obviously were benefiting from the sewer - little reason to complain) was to grant them use of space within sidewalk vaults (a decision that is still haunting us today - many of these in the DT area are in frighteningly poor shape). The purple glass was installed as a means of partially illuminating the sidewalk vault areas.

I adore them as well, and I think at least a few of them should be landmarked by the city. This would be similar to how they have protected the Wood Block Alley south of the Cardinal's mansion.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 2:56 PM
BANNED

^^^ Interesting, do you have a link or something with more info on the raising of the sidewalks and the use of sidewalk vaults and the purple light blocks? I don't quite understand what happened.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 3:39 PM

Centro 18

I was googling around on streetview and came across the property on South Peoria between W.16th and W.18th. It is a very large parcel on both sides of Peoria. It has been totally cleared and is ready for construction.

I cannot find much on the developers website: http://www.centro18.com/home.asp other than that Henry Cisneros is a principle of the firm and 2 10 storeys are proposed. http://www.americancityvista.com/chicagoSunTimes.htm Any news on this project?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 4:08 PM
THAT Guy

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=26722

Archdiocese hires broker to sell HQ
By Alby Gallun

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago said it has hired Chicago-based brokerage firm L.J. Sheridan & Co. to sell its Pastoral Center in Streeterville, a property that is expected to attract interest from condominium and hotel developers.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Interesting, do you have a link or something with more info on the raising of the sidewalks and the use of sidewalk vaults and the purple light blocks? I don't quite understand what happened.
Are many of you familiar with the elevated streets and sidewalks on the south-east side where the main levels to the houses are below street level? Some moved the entries to the second floor or just made an elevated porch level with the sidewalk and street.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 3:49 PM
BANNED

^^^ I found that by typing "Chicago Vaulted Sidewalks" into Google you find many informational sites on this matter. I always wondered what those purple blocks were about!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Which is exactly the point of Roosevelt Collection.

Wells might work as a two-level street. It would basically be a long ramp starting at River City and going up to meet Taylor Street, and then extending south to Roosevelt. Unfortunately, Roosevelt Collection plans retail along Wells at grade level, meaning that any street raisings there would block those businesses.

Elevating Wells would also succeed in establishing the semblance of a streetgrid in that area, euphemistically referred to as "LaSalle Park". If done properly, it could also form a safe pedestrian passage from Printers' Row and the Loop to the Roosevelt Corridor.

Being a condo owner at River City and attending the association meetings I can tell you that none of this will be happening. We are kept in the loop on all of the developments that effect the area. I'm glad Vetro and Printers corner are wrapping up construction getting down Wells has been a challenge all summer.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
North Avenue Bridge reconstruction with new cable stay span - Web cam

http://www.astekcams.com/webcam_live.asp?camid=6
Great find - I couldn't see - why ?

I almost took that today, haven't been that way for months,
now I have to take it tomorrow.

Wrong bridge, found it on google street view - my wife says it needed widening a long time ago.

Last edited by harryc; Oct 13, 2007 at 5:36 PM. Reason: wrong bridge.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 9:43 PM
The City

Unfortunately, you have to have an account to read the whole article.

By Steven R. Strahler
Proximity pays in Evanston
Office vacancies shrink; rents rival downtown's
Evanston is emerging as something of a Greenwich of the Midwest, as hedge funds, private-equity firms and other financial players pick the city as a headquarters site.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...ticle_id=28606

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:24 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownBill View Post
Being a condo owner at River City and attending the association meetings I can tell you that none of this will be happening. We are kept in the loop on all of the developments that effect the area. I'm glad Vetro and Printers corner are wrapping up construction getting down Wells has been a challenge all summer.
It was only an idea - didn't I make that clear in my post?

Actually, in a perfect world, IMO, I would connect Wacker Drive to Wells across the Franklin Point property and then make South Wells into a 4-lane boulevard, renamed to South Wacker Drive. It would ramp up to an intersection at Roosevelt, then continue south to Chinatown and become Wentworth.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Here's the story as I know it: I might well be corrected.

When the city raised the sidewalks to accommodate the sewer system, many of the old front doors were thrown into darkness. The compromise with property owners (who obviously were benefiting from the sewer - little reason to complain) was to grant them use of space within sidewalk vaults (a decision that is still haunting us today - many of these in the DT area are in frighteningly poor shape). The purple glass was installed as a means of partially illuminating the sidewalk vault areas.

I adore them as well, and I think at least a few of them should be landmarked by the city. This would be similar to how they have protected the Wood Block Alley south of the Cardinal's mansion.
These things are great, I love seeing them in the courthouse area in river north. There are a bunch of these in Seattle, where they have some walking tours down in the vaults. Cool stuff.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 6:13 PM
The City

Green light for pilot at former U.S. Steel site
By Jeanette Almada | Special to the Tribune
October 14, 2007
Sixty-five vacant, city-owned parcels adjacent to the former U.S. Steel site in the South Chicago neighborhood will see long-anticipated residential development in a pilot program for a model energy-efficient neighborhood.

"We have a huge opportunity to turn the area's [Rust Belt] reputation on its head," Marilyn Engwall, a project manager from the Chicago Department of Planning and Development, said last week.

Engwall and other city planners have worked with residents and neighborhood leaders, including Ald. John Pope (10th), to plan a green neighborhood that includes streets, sidewalks, parks, housing, commercial districts and possibly a streetcar network to carry residents to the three major Metra stations that serve the area or to its retail and entertainment establishments.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,4303699.story

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 3:24 AM

www.smithgill.com is now up with a small amount of content. Here is one the Chicago related items:

A wind turbine studded "Eco-Bridge"; An homage to Burnham.

http://www.smithgill.com/ecobridge.htm

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 4:07 AM

QUOTE=ardecila;3110810]It was only an idea - didn't I make that clear in my post?

Actually, in a perfect world, IMO, I would connect Wacker Drive to Wells across the Franklin Point property and then make South Wells into a 4-lane boulevard, renamed to South Wacker Drive. It would ramp up to an intersection at Roosevelt, then continue south to Chinatown and become Wentworth.[/QUOTE]

I've long thought about that as well as an extended drive's relation to the vacant rail site between Roosv Rd and (roughly) 18th St. While only a wild-hair idea, I think that space could support some kind of heavy density [U]surrounding[U] a new park with an extended Wacker and other perpendicular park border streets providing building access. The Rock Island tracks would have to be dealt with (build over? build roadway over? leave open and screen? etc). The neighbors across S. Clark St. would surely hate a high, dense project; but the park might be a sweetener. As a side benefit, the complex could visually ramp down the S. Loop skyline from most angles as it stretches toward Cermak. Wacker could go all the way to Cermak. I've done a pathetically rough "paint" diagram.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 4:09 AM

Whoops, pic didn't post. Must have done something wrong. Can someone tell where to acess tutorial/instruction on uploading pics? Thanks. Original photo from BartShore on Flickr.

Last edited by DCCliff; Oct 16, 2007 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 4:20 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Keep in mind that building on the bridge is an olympic torch.

I still want to see the flame on top of the Spire though.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Keep in mind that building on the bridge is an olympic torch.

I still want to see the flame on top of the Spire though.
I don't think it is a torch. It may be an appropriate place to house a torch. Even if Chicago doesn't get the Olympics, the building is still functional as an observation tower.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 4:52 AM
BANNED

That would be a sweet observation tower! It would also be a sweet torch!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 5:01 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

if its an obs tower....NO EFFING WAY.

"forever open, free, clear, etc."

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 5:54 AM
BANNED

You would be against it if it had a Observation deck? Why, I believe there have been other Olympic torches that do the same thing. Besides, if you really want to permentantly put the OD issue to rest, make one here, in a sculpture (a la Statue of Liberty) where you can't get any better lake and skyline views...

I think its a little rash to just decide something shouldn't be built just becasue it is suggested that an OD might be built East of LSD... Besides, don't you think Forever Free and Clear doesn't apply when the changes include a massive amount of green space being added with just a small amount of development?

If they were thinking that way when they built Grant Park then they wouldn't have put Buckingham Fountain there because it is marring the free and clearness of our park... I know its an extreme example, but it would have seemed pretty radical to build such a large and extravagant fountain at the time...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development