BANNED

The Newport at Tempe to break ground later this month

http://azbigmedia.com/featured/newpo...ign=GPEConnect

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
The Newport at Tempe to break ground later this month

http://azbigmedia.com/featured/newpo...ign=GPEConnect
Nice. And, good to know of the connection between Bandersnatch and RevoBar.

This type of development would be great along Farmer or on some of the vacant land between Mill and College. Dense, Townhome projects really add an urban edge to a city's fringe.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 4:24 PM

Town homes near ASU

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...mpus/15543523/

Infill project in downtown Tempe. Only 3 or 4 stories and the one picture shown looks a little tacky for my tastes but nice to see more development east of campus.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 4:45 PM

The 'east' bit must be a typo- the address is 421 W 6th, which is just west of Farmer. Great location next to Encore and the Roosevelt Townhomes. Depending on how much land was purchased, there might be some frontage onto Farmer, which would be nice.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 8:36 PM

Here's the web site: http://421west.com/

Just the one external rendering. Not bad.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 1:58 AM

Floorplan shows the site: http://421west.com/pdf/UnitB.pdf

Looks like it won't quite reach Farmer or Wilson, which is a shame, since the homes on both streets are in rough shape. Though, I guess the hope can be that more investment in the area increases the chances that they'll get cleaned up? Should be able to see them from Ash, or Farmer at least, given the height. Given the talk about car-free living, a 2-car garage seems a bit... extravagant, no? Is that standard for townhomes being built on the light rail? I guess if it encourages true home-ownership, and even families, than the trade-off is almost worth it.

Yikes, I hate the floorplans, too. I haven't looked at many others for comparison, but the "den" is an add-on to the garage, and in the second floorplan, is the only living space on that level - the others add a powder room, which still wouldn't sell me on paying more money to what is basically the equivalent of 1 finished room in an otherwise unfinished basement. I also hate not having a powder room on the main living level which is consistent across all plans. The 4-level plans add a "master living space" which seems redundant with what they're trying to make the den out to be. I'm sure a lot of this is common in townhomes, but meh... I was already biased given the faux-ish architecture, though.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Sep 14, 2014 at 2:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Lease Deal Paves Way for $350M USA Place Project in Tempe

By Liviu Oltean, Associate Editor

In a milestone for the $350 million USA Place project in Tempe, the developers and Arizona State University officials have reached agreement on a 99-year lease for a site near the school’s campus. The deal paves the way for a December groundbreaking.

Located on an 11-acre site on the east side of Mill Avenue, USA Place will consist of a 220-room Omni Hotel, a 4,500-seat event center, a 30,000-square-foot conference center, 500 luxury apartments, 160,000 square feet of retail, and up to 200,000 square feet of office space, as CPE reported in August 2013. USA Place will also be the future headquarters of USA Basketball, the national governing body for men’s and women’s basketball.

The development team, USA Place L.L.C., is led by Susan Eastridge, CEO of Concord Eastridge; Michael Hallmark, co-founder of Future Cities, the project’s master planner; and Robert Harris, CEO of Harris Sports & Entertainment. Their initial plan was a phased build-out, but that is no longer the case, as the The Arizona Republic reported.

“This is an exciting and an incredible opportunity that offers nothing but positives for USA Basketball,” said USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo in an statement. “USA Place will offer USA Basketball an excellent site for the development of its office headquarters, a training center and event center that will provide the organization with a first-class site for hosting junior level events and will allow USA Basketball to continue to evolve.”

http://www.multihousingnews.com/citi...004107657.html

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Lease Deal Paves Way for $350M USA Place Project in Tempe

By Liviu Oltean, Associate Editor

In a milestone for the $350 million USA Place project in Tempe, the developers and Arizona State University officials have reached agreement on a 99-year lease for a site near the school’s campus. The deal paves the way for a December groundbreaking.

Located on an 11-acre site on the east side of Mill Avenue, USA Place will consist of a 220-room Omni Hotel, a 4,500-seat event center, a 30,000-square-foot conference center, 500 luxury apartments, 160,000 square feet of retail, and up to 200,000 square feet of office space, as CPE reported in August 2013. USA Place will also be the future headquarters of USA Basketball, the national governing body for men’s and women’s basketball.

The development team, USA Place L.L.C., is led by Susan Eastridge, CEO of Concord Eastridge; Michael Hallmark, co-founder of Future Cities, the project’s master planner; and Robert Harris, CEO of Harris Sports & Entertainment. Their initial plan was a phased build-out, but that is no longer the case, as the The Arizona Republic reported.

“This is an exciting and an incredible opportunity that offers nothing but positives for USA Basketball,” said USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo in an statement. “USA Place will offer USA Basketball an excellent site for the development of its office headquarters, a training center and event center that will provide the organization with a first-class site for hosting junior level events and will allow USA Basketball to continue to evolve.”

http://www.multihousingnews.com/citi...004107657.html
I can't tell if this is an actual update or if this web site is just reporting based-off of the AZCentral article from two weeks ago? Is the reaching of an agreement the new news here?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:56 PM

Work has started on the Lofts at HF. They are doing site work right now. I assume there won't be too much grading to do since the site already sits 15-20' below ground and I know they wanted to put one level underground parking. So hopefully it moves along fast. Is it possible we saw a tower crane like we saw for Skywater? No site movement for AC Hotel yet.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
Work has started on the Lofts at HF. They are doing site work right now. I assume there won't be too much grading to do since the site already sits 15-20' below ground and I know they wanted to put one level underground parking. So hopefully it moves along fast. Is it possible we saw a tower crane like we saw for Skywater? No site movement for AC Hotel yet.
Thanks for sharing, good to know. Happy to have an influx of new projects starting since University House II, Marina Heights and HFL III have all gone vertical (almost). Hopefully we truly get a December start on USA Place.

Has anyone driven by or taken pictures of Encore II? I haven't been by it in a few weeks...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Thanks for sharing, good to know. Happy to have an influx of new projects starting since University House II, Marina Heights and HFL III have all gone vertical (almost). Hopefully we truly get a December start on USA Place.

Has anyone driven by or taken pictures of Encore II? I haven't been by it in a few weeks...
Is Encore II (The Residences on Farmer) officially underway? Great news if so- bringing a retail component to the area will hopefully pave the way for a more diverse neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Is Encore II (The Residences on Farmer) officially underway? Great news if so- bringing a retail component to the area will hopefully pave the way for a more diverse neighborhood.

Believe so. Not sure though. I thought the site was to sit to the north of the current Encore at 5th/Farmer, but the site work is going on south of the current Encore. If so, that would make more sense and that site is certainly under construction. If so that would leave pretty much two lots remaining between 5th/University along Farmer for development. I'll go by between now and tomorrow and look at the environmental quality sign to see what the project is.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 9:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I can't tell if this is an actual update or if this web site is just reporting based-off of the AZCentral article from two weeks ago? Is the reaching of an agreement the new news here?
That's how I read it. It seems that the agreement hinged on getting the right lease deal from ASU. Now that it's been agreed to, work can begin, so I think this is new news.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 11:32 PM

Lofts at HF

Quote:

I thought this was the group that was told to redesign as they had some cheesy stucco design thing going contrasting this project with the adjacent classy HF glass buildings and the fairly well designed Marina Heights Buildings.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 7:36 PM

http://421west.com/about-421-west-6th-street.php

421 mentions Whole Foods on University and Ash again. Any updates on when this will start?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 10:09 PM

Okay, to clear up some things posted:

1. Spitfire: The Residences on Farmer was supposed to be north of the current Encore. If there is site work going on to the south, this is either a) a new project we haven't heard about, b) indeed The Residences and perhaps the developer owns the entire strip and switched locations, c) part of the Sam Fox development... he was quoted as saying he was going to do more than just extend his part of the University - lake pedestrian path; perhaps he is going to do the whole thing?

2. Phoenixwillrise: No, the Lofts at Hayden Ferry has always been approved as designed; the design is rather nice... you are thinking of the apartments that were proposed for SouthBank that were horribly suburban looking and ultimately denied twice.

3. Ciweiss: Almost every project going back to about 2008 has mentioned the Whole Foods project as an amenity; I wouldn't read too much into its mention as a sign that it is coming any sooner. The Tempe site lists Ash/University as being under preliminary review at only 82' which would be a real shame as we were all hoping for a tower of around 21 stories. 80~ feet is only 5 stories, which is where downtown seems to be stuck with Argo/Skywater, Hanover, USA Place (residential), etc. topping out around that height.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Okay, to clear up some things posted:

1. Spitfire: The Residences on Farmer was supposed to be north of the current Encore. If there is site work going on to the south, this is either a) a new project we haven't heard about, b) indeed The Residences and perhaps the developer owns the entire strip and switched locations, c) part of the Sam Fox development... he was quoted as saying he was going to do more than just extend his part of the University - lake pedestrian path; perhaps he is going to do the whole thing?

2. Phoenixwillrise: No, the Lofts at Hayden Ferry has always been approved as designed; the design is rather nice... you are thinking of the apartments that were proposed for SouthBank that were horribly suburban looking and ultimately denied twice.

3. Ciweiss: Almost every project going back to about 2008 has mentioned the Whole Foods project as an amenity; I wouldn't read too much into its mention as a sign that it is coming any sooner. The Tempe site lists Ash/University as being under preliminary review at only 82' which would be a real shame as we were all hoping for a tower of around 21 stories. 80~ feet is only 5 stories, which is where downtown seems to be stuck with Argo/Skywater, Hanover, USA Place (residential), etc. topping out around that height.
Thanks JJS

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:08 PM
BANNED

LANDMARK MONTI'S RESTAURANT SITE IN TEMPE TO GET HOTEL AND OFFICE TOWERS

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_...date=September

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:49 PM

Quote:
LANDMARK MONTI'S RESTAURANT SITE IN TEMPE TO GET HOTEL AND OFFICE TOWERS

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_...date=September
Great news, sounds like a similar plan that was supposed to happen before the recession. Glad to see this taking off again.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
Great news, sounds like a similar plan that was supposed to happen before the recession. Glad to see this taking off again.
Now we're talking. 16 and 14 stories, with a boutique hotel and ground level retail... it's likely too good to be true, but man, I hope it happens.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest