HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 2:44 AM

I also hate when this city cuts down trees. It's infuriating and very sad. However, as bad as it is to lose these trees in front of hanny's, they weren't really mature. They were only a few years old. And I believe they were sissoo, which aren't very "rare" and they grow really fast.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 6:53 AM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I also hate when this city cuts down trees. It's infuriating and very sad. However, as bad as it is to lose these trees in front of hanny's, they weren't really mature. They were only a few years old. And I believe they were sissoo, which aren't very "rare" and they grow really fast.
If they were sissoos they needed to be taken out. Sissoo trees, native to India, were planted liberally over the last 10 years because they were fast growers but are now understood to have an invasive root system that, among other things, raises concrete.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 3:53 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The ones in front of Hanny's were sissoo and only a few years old. I planted two 10 gallon sissoo trees in 2011 and they're now probably 35 feet tall. Those trees grow like weeds.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 4:39 PM

Just came to post the news regarding the new ownership for the strip of bars along Central. While the buildings are nothing special, there are few places where nightlife can succeed and I hope the buildings aren't razed or converted into a different use. A hotel like Aloft with it's XYz Lounge or office tower with pub/bars on the ground level across the street would help make a nice pocket of nightlife, which is needed on Central much moreso than a parking lot or strip of 1-floor offices.

In positive news, I've heard good things about a makeover over at The Clarendon.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:49 AM

So, does anyone have more info on The Muse project slated for McDowell/Central? The design review was held 9/11. The general site plan can be found at this link, but no info regarding the height or uses of each of the 3 main buildings:

http://evanschurchill.org/2014/09/11...owell-sept-11/

Why in the world is the garage entrance off of Central and not 1st Ave? Assuming reasonable heights (7-8+ stories, though I would love to see double digits) and retail frontages on both Central and McDowell, the plan would be almost perfect if that were flipped.

Unfortunately, I see what look to be individual units throughout which make me believe we're in for a short, 3-4 story project with no retail, as the longer pieces fronting Central are almost guaranteed to be a fitness center and leasing office, which is the new rage in mixed use apparently.

EDIT: Judging by the way this was described by the DVC (low-slung, superblock...), I think I'm closer with the 3-4 single-use guess. Wish I knew what happened at the meeting.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This is a long-time coming. Once ASU left the Biomedical Collaborative, downtown's aspirations for biomed outside of the UofA was done. Yet ASU moved their nursing school to be closer to it all, and now one wonders what that exactly is.

In other news, the downtown mainstay of Amsterdam's nee The Bar on Central will be closing after this weekend--ending about a 20 year run for that corner, altho it's been a long time since its heyday of Club Miami/i would *love* to know the exact name of that Beach Club/Amsterdam's 3-bars-in-one of many years past. The word on the street is that all the buildings on the block have been sold to a new owner, tho there's only that small strip that's there besides the Westward Ho.

Any information on the subject would be welcome.
Sean, although I lived in Tucson at the time, I used to spend many weekends in Phoenix and I remember when Crowbar used to be at 702 N. Central back in the 90's. It was a pretty popular gay nightclub with some awesome music and I just happened to be there the night that Amsterdam opened a couple doors down as a piano bar. If I remember correctly, the bronze bar sculptures at Amsterdam used to be part of Crowbar. I thought I remembered the bar inbetween to be another "Works" like the one in Scottsdale (where Markus Schulz was resident DJ for several years), although I think it was the same owner who owned Crowbar and Amsterdam at the time (Steven Rogers).

Information about the architect of Crowbar and Amsterdam:
http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...amsterdam-bar/

I would be really upset if they raze those buildings as I feel there is a rich history there (with Phoenix nightlife). Sadly, Phoenix continues to forget about its history. I doubt many valley dance music listeners would even know that Markus Schulz spent many years here (and on "The Edge"), that Bil "LaTour" ("People are Still Having Sex") used to work at KZZP, or that Tim Byrd used to host a mixed dance show each week back in the early 90's on Power 92 called "Planet Dance" that also aired on Voltage FM in Paris, FR. Ahh...the good ol' days.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 2:51 PM

With ASU taking over the ground level of the Westward Ho - aka solidifying a deadzone from the strip of bars through Fillmore - it would be even more of a shame to see the buildings go. They're really the only sign of life in that immediate vicinity; if they could refresh the establishments and have them become more 24-hour (serving food during the day/music at night), that'd help immensely more than a parking lot or generic, wood-construction, single-use apartment building.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:47 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Why in the world is the garage entrance off of Central and not 1st Ave? Assuming reasonable heights (7-8+ stories, though I would love to see double digits) and retail frontages on both Central and McDowell, the plan would be almost perfect if that were flipped.
In the afternoon rush there is usually a line of traffic on First Ave trying to get out onto McDowell. If the garage exited onto First they would probably need a traffic signal there. On the other hand, exiting onto Central forces all traffic south due to the light rail, which means some will end up coming back up Third Ave. It does seem like First with a signal would work better.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 5:42 PM

The issue with the trees at Hanny's being taken down is that it was done by the owners of Hanny's, NOT the City. It sets a very bad precedent, and these trees were greater than 2 stories tall - I'd call that pretty mature, even if the species was not ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
In the afternoon rush there is usually a line of traffic on First Ave trying to get out onto McDowell. If the garage exited onto First they would probably need a traffic signal there. On the other hand, exiting onto Central forces all traffic south due to the light rail, which means some will end up coming back up Third Ave. It does seem like First with a signal would work better.
Not to mention, a garage entrance on Central is a complete disaster from a pedestrian standpoint. Keep in mind that rush hour is only a portion of the day. Definitely should be considered, and thanks for mentioning that as I hadn't known it got that bad. But you've already mentioned a solid solution - but shouldn't change the fact that of the two, 1st is the less active street for pedestrians and for cars 19/24 hours, and that a break in the sidewalk would do less harm there. It should also encourage more light rail usage for the business towers in Midtown that dumped their garages onto 1st.

Removing that entrance and parking lot would allow at least 1 retail spot to front Central. I think it's insulting that this is the second project this year to propose a parking lot fronting Central Ave adjacent to a light rail stop.

-----

Speaking of 1st Ave, looks like ArtHaus is still alive; this is the project that would fill in the remaining land that the Arizona Opera left. Unfortunately, it's only 30 units and 3 floors, but it's one less awkward empty lot on the rail line.

They received a loan commitment in May, before this action in July: http://www.publicnoticeads.com/AZ/se...4_21526022.HTM ; it's insane that Marina Heights Phase I has nearly topped out before ANY of the residential proposals in Phoenix dating back to 2013 have even broken ground (one exception: the heinous project at Highland/Central).

Last edited by Jjs5056; Sep 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 10:51 PM
BANNED

The actual good news here, I think, bolded.

High-rise apartment tower would undo Obama stimulus improvements to Phoenix station

Back in 2009, the Obama administration sent $5 million to the city of Phoenix and the Valley Metro transit agency to rehab and modernize the Central Station bus and light rail stop in downtown Phoenix. The money was part of post-recession American Recovery and Reinvestment Act stimulus program.

Now, the federal stimulus improvements to Central Station at Van Buren Street and Central Avenue might have to make way for a $72 million, 34-story apartment tower.

The city of Phoenix has picked Chicago-based Smithfield Properties for a Central Station redevelopment after soliciting development proposals for the transit station site.

Smithfield is proposing a 476-apartment, 390-foot building at the downtown site. It would be one of the tallest buildings in the state. A parking garage also would be built as part of the new development.

Metro light rail trains and Valley Metro buses still will run through the station.

Phoenix spokeswoman Sina Matthes said the city is working with the developer to salvage and reuse some of the stimulus funded improvements at the station.

“Through the development process, the city will work with the developer to salvage and reuse the improvements made on the site. The city is currently in negotiations regarding the items that will be salvaged and reused,” Matthes said.

Smithfield principal Bill Smith declined to comment on the project and its impact on the existing Central Station.

“We have no comment at this time,” he said.

Mark Stapp, a real estate professor and industry expert at the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University, said Central Station is a valuable piece of downtown real estate that can accommodate a high-density development.

“The more you can add multifamily the better off you are,” said Stapp.

The bus and light rail station is across the street from Arizona State’s growing downtown campus. Downtown boosters want to attract more housing to the central business district for ASU students and young professionals. That will help downtown shake its historical image of being a ghost-town after the workday ends, and attract more retail, restaurants and bars. Stapp said station property “is way too valuable” just for transit.

Stapp said the development’s prospects are aided by the fact that the Central Station land is publicly owned and the city wants the project.

Mike Sunnucks writes about residential and commercial real estate.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...07345&page=all

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Stapp said the development’s prospects are aided by the fact that the Central Station land is publicly owned and the city wants the project.
Great, can't wait for the Goldwater Institute to come in and starting suing everyone.

I love that the tower is round, something unique but I wish just once these developers would have a little more pride and increase the height a little...beating out Chase would be hard as that would be a significant increase but adding 3 more stories would make it the 2nd tallest building in the state.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 1:40 AM
Skyriser

I kinda feel sorry for all the people that got into 44 Monroe, including lessees, the owner, and whatever condo buyers that are left over that'll have their views blocked by this thing.

I would've said "big" in there, but it's a shame that this thing occupies so little of the block it's on.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 1:45 AM

They should aim to make this thing at least taller than US Bank just to make a statement, but it's still pretty tall especially for Phoenix standards and that's a good thing. If this goes through and the building keeps it's roundness, then this will be an excellent and unique addition to downtown.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 2:30 AM

I don't know why everyone is so positive about this project. As Sean mentioned, the apartment itself is occupying an incredibly small portion of the block it will be sitting on. The majority of the site will be dedicated to a garage and new MAG offices, with large setbacks and no retail fronting Van Buren - the street that has been designated by the City to become the 'retail' route of downtown.

Look around downtown; the whole office+garage superblock concept has been done over and over and has resulted in spurts of activity where the office hits the ground, surrounded by a sea of dead space. This shouldn't be tolerated in 2014/2015. The apartment is facing Polk St, which is to become a private entrance for residents; so, essentially, depending on the design of the WAG offices, very little of downtown's streets will be enhanced through this project.

I think its orientation is also heinous. Design has shifted from this kind of design for residential into more slender, sleek forms. I like the roundness, but this should take up no more than 1/4 the land over an underground parking structure, with a mixed use office tower taking up another 1/4, and either midrise mixed use residential taking the remaining 1/2, or have it left as a park for residents until the market dictates another use.

Finally, the City has let historic gem after another go to waste... and they want to salvage the crap they put up in 2009? Come on.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 2:34 AM

I know nothing about air rights, but you'd think a luxury condo like 44M would've made sure something like this didn't come in and completely wipe out its views.

However, due to the new 20' sidewalks and awkward setbacks that are proposed for the project, many units will still have great views. Those in the direct center are screwed, but they'll still get a decent city-scape view with this tower, OCPE, etc.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 3:33 PM

Quote:
I know nothing about air rights, but you'd think a luxury condo like 44M would've made sure something like this didn't come in and completely wipe out its views.

However, due to the new 20' sidewalks and awkward setbacks that are proposed for the project, many units will still have great views. Those in the direct center are screwed, but they'll still get a decent city-scape view with this tower, OCPE, etc.
I'm really not sure how much their views will be "obstructed."

First, they'll still have views of Camelback Mountain to the northeast.

Second, this is a highrise condo building, don't the occupants want urban views? What's wrong with having a view of a brand new skyscraper a few blocks up?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:00 PM

I agree with Nick. If I want to view mountains, I go back to Pinetop, where I grew up. I live in an urban environment for architecture, crowds and tall buildings.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:24 PM

Hi All,

Here the newspaper from AZ Central. This is for terminal 3 history.

http://www.azcentral.com/picture-gal...port/15728673/

Lots of changes, huh? It's been a long time.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 6:38 PM

Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I'm really not sure how much their views will be "obstructed."

First, they'll still have views of Camelback Mountain to the northeast.

Second, this is a highrise condo building, don't the occupants want urban views? What's wrong with having a view of a brand new skyscraper a few blocks up?
Exactly. Hell if you want dense skyscrapers not everyone can have the "view".

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know why everyone is so positive about this project. As Sean mentioned, the apartment itself is occupying an incredibly small portion of the block it will be sitting on. The majority of the site will be dedicated to a garage and new MAG offices, with large setbacks and no retail fronting Van Buren - the street that has been designated by the City to become the 'retail' route of downtown.

Look around downtown; the whole office+garage superblock concept has been done over and over and has resulted in spurts of activity where the office hits the ground, surrounded by a sea of dead space. This shouldn't be tolerated in 2014/2015. The apartment is facing Polk St, which is to become a private entrance for residents; so, essentially, depending on the design of the WAG offices, very little of downtown's streets will be enhanced through this project.

I think its orientation is also heinous. Design has shifted from this kind of design for residential into more slender, sleek forms. I like the roundness, but this should take up no more than 1/4 the land over an underground parking structure, with a mixed use office tower taking up another 1/4, and either midrise mixed use residential taking the remaining 1/2, or have it left as a park for residents until the market dictates another use.

Finally, the City has let historic gem after another go to waste... and they want to salvage the crap they put up in 2009? Come on.
* not meant for you *

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest