HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 10:34 PM
Posh

The color problem in photography (especially videos)

Lately I've been taking a lot of photos and videos and have been constantly frustrated at how wishy-washy the colors turn out. This is particularly true of videos. I realize technology may never be able to exactly replicate what we see with our eyes, and all that, but at least for videos, I can't seem to find anything that at least comes sorta close.

Here is a scene with a lot of green I took with my digital camera. This is reasonably close to what my eye sees, though it still seems to have too much blue.

Here is the same scene taken with the same camera, but this time using the video function. Notice it starts out at the exact same angle as the photo. I took them maybe a couple minutes apart, at most. But look how much more blue there is. As I pan to the left, the camera actually changes from too much blue, to more yellow. When I'm panning I'm moving towards the sun. The colors get a little closer to the quality of the photo, but as everyone knows, when taking photos into the sun, you get other problems.

Video Link

This next one is almost the same pan, but this time taken with my cellphone (taken the next day, but at the same time of day and similar weather). WAY too much yellow! Photos taken with this phone are of similar quality.

Video Link

To make things even more complicated, the cellphone has sharper videos, but the colors are worse than the camera.

The camera, BTW, is a Kodak and the cellphone is a Nokia.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this same frustration, and how (if at all) they have dealt with it besides playing around with it in video editing software or Photoshop? I don't want to have to spend a lot of time doing a lot of processing just to get it to look decent.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 4:22 AM

Instead of "Auto" white balance, use a preset white balance in camera for more accurate/consistent colours. The proper setting would be "Sunny" in this case. Otherwise I guess it constantly changes the white balance which would explain the colour shifts you see. Or maybe it's just the "Auto" white balance setting of your camera is not very good.

Shooting RAW instead of JPEG would also enable you to adjust the white balance after, but you should still get in the habit of setting the white balance manually before the capture instead of the relying on the camera to judge white balance.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 12:23 AM
Posh

Hmm, thanks. Unfortunately, both my cellphone and digital camera seem to have lots of options for settings taking stills, but not so much for videos. I'll have to poke around the user's manual I guess.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography