HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This is (was) the Grand Central Hotel on Main Street in a photo dated 2/1/57.

Huntington Picture Library

Grand Central Hotel in better times.

USC Digital Library
The building to the left of the Grand Central in the top photo, and in between the Grand Central and the Baker Block in the bottom photo (and which GW just posted some very late photos of http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17620) had its beginnings here:

June 14, 1878 LA Herald @ loc.gov -- http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...arRange&page=1

That's John G. Downey (1827-94), the 7th Governor of California (1860-62).

P.S. Nice closeup of the Westmoore, HossC!

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Nov 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM. Reason: P.S.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 8:08 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid Beaudry beat you to it:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16322

I was sent a link to the HDL demo pics, some looked familiar, some didn't. Guess I missed the esteemed & too scarce Beaudry's post. But now I'm reminded--does anyone know the progress of the Hall of Justice? Has it reopened and I've missed that too? (Not that I couldn't Google, but NLA seems much more reliable.)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 8:35 PM

This amusing column-filler appeared in the Herald on June 3, 1899.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 9:03 PM

Quote:

Detail from photo at USC Digital Library

Excellent detail find, Hoss. I'm reminded of my own lamentations on this thread of the current urbanization to accommodate density (see http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1832 and http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1971), that the setbacks of old are being discarded--I supposed central Hollywood being the prime current example. But seeing the Westmoore from this perspective, with its addition built out to the sidewalk in line with other Seventh Street buildings, I'm reminded that this has been going on since the beginning.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 9:16 PM

[QUOTE=WS1911;6335608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
I know you guys have covered the Victorians of Angelino Heights before on NLA but I don't think anyone has ever mentioned the Stilson-Botsford House. It was probably one of the grandest in the neighborhood, with thirty rooms including a ballroom on the third floor. It was built for William Stilson, one of the original developers of Angelino Heights (along with Everett E. Hall, who jointly filed for ownership of the tract. It was then spelled "Angeleno Heights.") He built his own house on the northwest corner of Carroll Avenue and Edgeware Road in 1887, but died in the 1890's. The house was then purchased by California Bank president William Botsford. Here's a few photos of the place from the 1890's:

LAPL

Flickr

Tetsu - Thanks so much for posting these two great photos of the Stilson house. I have never seen closeup photos of it until now. I have often wondered how much of the original structure is left under that remodeling and whether the house could ever be restored.

I discovered Angeleno Heights in 1966 and at that time met Charles Pinney of 1355 Carroll Avenue. Pinney gladly showed me the ground floor of his home and also the garage where he had his early 1950s Cadillac stored. He told me he was 93 and had lived at the house since 1887. I'm thinking he may have moved away and moved back, but I'll never know. Pinney lived to be 106. His father, Henry, had bought their house at the northeast corner of Carroll and Douglas as well as the adjacent lot because he did not want a neighbor abutting his property. That lot now contains a huge tree.

------------------------
While I am not as good as most of you with finding old pictures, I am better with people. I did some background research on Charles Pinney. He apparently did not move away and come back. Here is what I found:

Some Census and other research reveals that Charles Lee Pinney was born on November 18, 1872 in Connecticut. He is listed on the voter registration at the Carroll Avenue house in 1896 along with his father. Charles is listed in that registration as being employed as a machinist.
His family appears in the 1900 Census at the Carroll Avenue address: father Henry, mother Emma, and three children: Louise, Charles and Frank. Two servants also are listed as living in the household in that Census. Henry Pinney is noted as being a “capitalist”
Charles is listed as living in the Carroll Avenue house in 1910 with his sister Louise and a housekeeper. At that time Charles is listed as being the proprietor of a Metal Works.
Charles married between 1910 and 1920 and is in the 1920 Census with his wife Bertha. When he filled out his draft card for WWI he was living at the same address. They apparently did not have any children.
They are in the Carroll Avenue house in 1920 and 1930. Voter Registrations in 1924 show Charles as being retired. In that year, he and Bertha took a trip to Cuba. They are listed as returning to San Pedro aboard the SS Finland. Their address is the same.
By 1940, while Charles is still living on Carroll Avenue, he is widowed. His wife Bertha died in November of 1935. Living in the house with Charles is his sister Louise, who is also widowed.
Charles died in Los Angeles on October 1, 1978. He is buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery, Glendale.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 10:02 PM

Wow, you are so right...when I first saw this pic, I thought someone had uploaded a recent photo and then I thought maybe it was photoshopped.. She definitely has a modern look and expression.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
While I am not as good as most of you with finding old pictures, I am better with people. I did some background research on Charles Pinney.
Hello oldstuff... interesting details about Charles Pinney. Any idea how he might have been related to Dr. Elbert Pinney, older by 47 years, also a Connecticut native and the builder of the well-known Pinney House in Sierra Madre? Elbert died in 1914 at age 90; while it's not exactly a rare name, the fathers of both Charles and Elbert were named Henry. More info on the Pinney House here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1851

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 10:11 PM

Getty Images
What color is the liquid on the sidewalk?

We've seen Mickey's Cohen's men's shop on the thread (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6181), but I've never seen the shot above before. 8804 Sunset.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 10:11 PM

bungalow court on steroids

I'm unsure if this was built during the post-war housing shortage or decades earlier by a over zealous developer.

S. Burlington Avenue and 5th Street

google_earth

-their basic shape makes me think of the wooden bungalows of the 1920s & 1930s.

GSV

I imagine the awful stucco was added much later (with a giant hose by the way they look )
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 6, 2018 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 10:18 PM

Arclight Cinemas

The Cinerama Dome under construction, 1962.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
These stairs are at Beechwood Drive and Woodshire Drive, and lead up to Belden Drive. This is a 1929 photo:

USC Digital Library -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...d/4254/rec/473

November 2013, from the bottom up:

Photo by me

From the top down; you can see repairs where the water used to flow:

Photo by me
This stairway is amazing Flyingwedge! I didn't even know it existed until your post.

It immediately reminded me of Harold Lloyd's fountain walkway at his Greenacres estate.

www.myloveofoldhollywood.com

Perhaps the heavenly stairway (1923) and Lloyd's fountain (1928) were designed by the same person.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I'm unsure if this was built during the post-war housing shortage or decades earlier by a overly greedy developer.

google_earth
I can't go back any earlier than 1948 on Historic Aerials, but it looks like they're complete on this view.

Historic Aerials

The roofs show up better on this 1952 aerial.

Historic Aerials

The bungalow in the eastern corner is missing by 1972.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Arclight Cinemas

The Cinerama Dome under construction, 1962.
LAPL has quite a few pictures showing the construction of the Cinerama Dome from different angles in black & white and color (including the one above). I came across them looking for pictures of the Vine Street Coffee Dan's a couple of weeks ago. Note the NBC building on the left.

lapl.org

Their notes put the date at 1963:

Quote:
Historical Notes

The Pacific Theaters' Cinerama Dome, located at 6360 Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, California, was designed to present widescreen Cinerama films and was originally developed by Saul Pick. It was adapted by the noted architectural firm of Welton Becket and Associates and opened on November 2, 1963 with the press premiere of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". Built in only 16 weeks, the domed roof is comprised of 316 pre-cast concrete panels, most of which are hexagonal, and each weighing approximately 3,200 lbs., with a wide screen measuring 32 x 86 feet. The Cinerama Dome, the first and only theater of its kind in the world, has been host to over four decades of premieres and blockbusters; it was declared a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument on December 18, 1998.
The 1963 18-story International Style Sunset Vine Tower, designed by architect Douglas Honnold of the firm Honnold & Rex, was the first skyscraper built in Los Angeles after the city repealed its 14-story building height limit.

Summary

Aerial view of a Pacific Drive-In Theater property construction site, and the future home of Pacific Cinerama Theatre, located at 6360 Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood; view is looking east. Cahuenga Blvd. is horizontally at bottom, curving at lower right; Ivar Ave. is horizontally just above; Vine St. is horizontally at middle; De Longpre Ave. is vertically at right; Sunset Blvd. is vertically at left; Hollywood (101) Freeway is visible in the distance. The Sunset Vine Tower is present on the left. Photograph dated July 1963.

LAPL

--------------------

Flyingwedge, I love those stairs, but I wouldn't fancy climbing them after a night out .

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 11:51 PM

Wilshire Boulevard house. -looks like the street number is 4472....GW?

ebay
__

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 11:55 PM

[QUOTE=oldstuff;6336681]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
I know you guys have covered the Victorians of Angelino Heights before on NLA but I don't think anyone has ever mentioned the Stilson-Botsford House. It was probably one of the grandest in the neighborhood, with thirty rooms including a ballroom on the third floor. It was built for William Stilson, one of the original developers of Angelino Heights (along with Everett E. Hall, who jointly filed for ownership of the tract. It was then spelled "Angeleno Heights.") He built his own house on the northwest corner of Carroll Avenue and Edgeware Road in 1887, but died in the 1890's. The house was then purchased by California Bank president William Botsford. Here's a few photos of the place from the 1890's:

LAPL

Flickr

While I am not as good as most of you with finding old pictures, I am better with people. I did some background research on Charles Pinney. He apparently did not move away and come back. Here is what I found:

Some Census and other research reveals that Charles Lee Pinney was born on November 18, 1872 in Connecticut. He is listed on the voter registration at the Carroll Avenue house in 1896 along with his father. Charles is listed in that registration as being employed as a machinist.
His family appears in the 1900 Census at the Carroll Avenue address: father Henry, mother Emma, and three children: Louise, Charles and Frank. Two servants also are listed as living in the household in that Census. Henry Pinney is noted as being a “capitalist”
Charles is listed as living in the Carroll Avenue house in 1910 with his sister Louise and a housekeeper. At that time Charles is listed as being the proprietor of a Metal Works.
Charles married between 1910 and 1920 and is in the 1920 Census with his wife Bertha. When he filled out his draft card for WWI he was living at the same address. They apparently did not have any children.
They are in the Carroll Avenue house in 1920 and 1930. Voter Registrations in 1924 show Charles as being retired. In that year, he and Bertha took a trip to Cuba. They are listed as returning to San Pedro aboard the SS Finland. Their address is the same.
By 1940, while Charles is still living on Carroll Avenue, he is widowed. His wife Bertha died in November of 1935. Living in the house with Charles is his sister Louise, who is also widowed.
Charles died in Los Angeles on October 1, 1978. He is buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery, Glendale.

Oldstuff - Thanks for spending the time to look up the very interesting information about Charles Pinney. I guess he lived at that house from the time he was 15 until he was 106 – that’s 91 years in the same place!

Pinney house at 1355 Carroll Avenue

Google Street View
-------------------------

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Tetsu, please say hi next time you see me working on the house (I'll be up on the veranda roof).

I'm happy to see a reference to Jennie Keil, because we've always found her to be quite an interesting historical figure, and have been dismayed at the way she's been ignored by the local historical cognoscenti. It seems to us that any woman transacting business on her own initiative in late Victorian times would merit a closer look than has been accorded Mrs. Jennie A. Keil.

She built this house in 1885 as an income property on an acre of land, specifically as a rental unit, according to tax documents. I don't have my documentation handy, but I believe it was at the corner of a 600-acre tract. In any event, I know that we are at the corner of what is now known as "Keil's Lakewood Tract."

You can find a lot of information about the house at the blog.
Will do, thanks! By the way - didn't see the photos you posted of the restoration in progress until after I initially replied yesterday. Looks great! Definitely gonna give the blog a read.

Oh, and here's where I originally found out a little bit about your place. I'm pretty sure you've already seen this, it's a book about Bungalow Heaven as a whole:

http://books.google.com/books?id=aDn...0house&f=false

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 12:18 AM

[QUOTE=oldstuff;6336681]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS1911 View Post

WS1911 - That's really cool you had the opportunity to talk to Charles Pinney personally. Wish I could've, didn't learn about Angelino Heights until the late 80's when my mom told me about it to help feed my growing interest in LA's classic architecture.

oldstuff, great info! The entry on the Pinney House on Big Orange Landmarks indicates that Charles Pinney did live in the house until he died, though it gives 1980 as the year of his death.

Also, GaylordWilshire, that's interesting to think about the possible connection to the Pinney House in Sierra Madre. Never clicked in my mind that the last name was the same.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4339106...3093/lightbox/
from Pasadena CHRID database
(My first time linking an image here; I hope it works)
[edit] Well, the link did not work per se, but at least you can click on it to see the picture. If one of you can smarten me up as to what I did wrong, I'd sure appreciate it.
Sorry Otis but I missed a day or two looking at the forum here, I would have
put this up sooner. While you're at Flickr, click the X to the upper right of the photo to get out of the lightbox.
To the lower right of the image, there's a star, a comment balloon, then a box
with an arrow that says more ways to share when the pointer is over it,
click that and choose the bottom line where it says grab the html/bbcode.
Go to the bottom line in the box and choose bbcode. One line above that is photo size, large 1024 works the best, choose that. Touch your pointer
in the area above that starts with "url=http" and click, when the area becomes blue, press the keys ctrl and c at the same time,
that copies the bbcode to your computer. Return to the forum and paste the bbcode into the
reply box. hit the keys ctrl and v at the same time to paste it. If this is overexplained, use your blog to post pics, it looked great. Eric

It should look like this.

p_3115_52_0490778b by Otis Criblecoblis, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I'm unsure if this was built during the post-war housing shortage or decades earlier by a overly greedy developer.

google_earth

-their basic shape makes me think of the wooden bungalows of the 1920s & 1930s.

__
There was a little more elbow room at Annetta Court, 5146 to 5154-1/2 Sunset Blvd.:

USC Digital Library -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/4264/rec/1

It's in the 1927 LA City Directory:
http://rescarta.lapl.org/ResCarta-We...=0&search_doc=

Here it is in 1948, right in the middle:

HistoricAerials.com -- http://www.historicaerials.com/

It was still there in 1954 but gone by 1972.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 2:43 AM

Quote:
LAPL has quite a few pictures showing the construction of the Cinerama Dome from different angles in black & white and color (including the one above). I came across them looking for pictures of the Vine Street Coffee Dan's a couple of weeks ago. Note the NBC building on the left.

lapl.org

Their notes put the date at 1963:

Quote:
Historical Notes

The 1963 18-story International Style Sunset Vine Tower, designed by architect Douglas Honnold of the firm Honnold & Rex, was the first skyscraper built in Los Angeles after the city repealed its 14-story building height limit.

LAPL

--------------------
Lee Tower at 5455 Wilshire was was erected by '61 and is 22 floors. I thought it held the distinction of first skyscraper built after repeal of 150' height limit? See: http://www.ciclavia.org/files/ciclav...3_web-9809.pdf

http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/01/97/03/67_big.jpg

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=5156605

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos