HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Not to speak for him, but in my own view, looking at their proposal, the combination of eliminating the bus loop and seemingly narrowing Central Blvd. at the same time (i.e. getting rid of a lane each side if those renders are to be read correctly), is what won't work, I think.
Or at least, I don't see how.
Just noticed that they seem to have buses cutting across under the guideway near the station and looping back on Beresford. Seems like it's an express bus lane coming from Willingdon and then maybe they all stop on the other side.

https://metropolismasterplan.com/wp-...View-03-R3.jpg

https://metropolismasterplan.com/wp-...At-Plaza-1.jpg

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Although Ivanhoe's a little optimistic in thinking TransLink will give up the bus loop without at least a 1:1 replacement - and no, an on-street "interchange" does not count.
Back when I went to the BC Parkway meetings (a long time ago now) Burnaby was also against moving the bus loop - they wanted to keep Beresford as a local street.

These new plans show some of the streets travelling from Kingsway through where the mall currently is, through the BC Parkway and on into the Maywood neighbourhood. Unless attitudes have changed (which is possible) then I suspect that's going to get a hard NO from the city.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Metrotown will never be the same without its large indoor mall.
Exactly. You are finally catching on to what proper urbanism should look like. Good for you.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Back when I went to the BC Parkway meetings (a long time ago now) Burnaby was also against moving the bus loop - they wanted to keep Beresford as a local street.

These new plans show some of the streets travelling from Kingsway through where the mall currently is, through the BC Parkway and on into the Maywood neighbourhood. Unless attitudes have changed (which is possible) then I suspect that's going to get a hard NO from the city.
Sounds like they'll keep the bus loop with a temporary relocation (if Translink/City agree)

Quote:
While the development is under construction, the Metrotown bus loop will have to be moved, but the developers said those plans are currently in the hands of TransLink and the City of Burnaby.
They also clarified what the local mobility hubs were:

Quote:
The mobility hubs would be a central place for locals to catch their car-share rides, food delivery, or even pick-up and drop-off of self-driving cars, according to Maxime Allaire, Ivanhoé’s director of asset management, retail.

The hubs would also include parking for bicycles and micro-mobility like e-scooters and e-bikes.

“This is where we’re trying to concentrate people coming in from those (transportation modes) and then dropping those things off and walking from there,” Allaire said.
Unit numbers:

Quote:
With seven parcels of land, the developer plans to build in phases, beginning with 15 new buildings in Phase 1 from 2025 through 2054.

Phase 1 of the development, over the next 30 years, proposes around 10,000 market units and 2,000 affordable rental units, the developer told the Burnaby NOW.
Quote:
“It’ll be a great mix of retail and residential eventually and we hope to see even more people come to the mall … with a more pedestrian feeling within a great enclosed mall that people are going to be able to come on rainy days,” Bourgon said, adding people were happy to hear part of the mall will be renewed.
https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...opment-8581482

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:03 AM

I wonder if Revery is involved in the Metrotown Redevelopment.

Cyclist & Pedestrian Bridge Burnaby - Concept Design 2022

Quote:
The Gateway to Metrotown creates a floating landscape between the road and the Skytrain tracks, with the idea of giving pedestrians and cyclists a continuous and safe journey, away from traffic and traffic lights.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5eEFfbR...=5&img_index=1

EDIT: Nevermind part of the Burnaby Parkway planning design

https://www.burnaby.ca/our-city/proj...cement-project

Last edited by jollyburger; Apr 18, 2024 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:07 PM

I hate it whenever they design bike infrastructure, like in the photo above, that it takes the most windy, convoluted, indirect route possible. The people want straight direct routes, not this BS. People who don't commute by bike should be disqualified from designing bike infrastructure I swear.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Exactly. You are finally catching on to what proper urbanism should look like. Good for you.
What? lol.

Mind you, I'm not giving up on the indoor mall, when many here favour the outdoor retail style which you most likely prefer.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley