HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 6:19 PM

Its ok TUP, with that attitude I imagine you dont have to worry much about making friends in the first place. Enjoy your mindless consumerism, Im sure that will give you solace at the end.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 7:17 PM

I'm having trouble again differentiating between sarcasm and serious ideas on this forum. Isn't the community supposed to be what makes cities so great and not bland like suburbs?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 7:33 PM

I would say it was sarcasm, but I wouldn't put it past him having a commissioned oil painting of ayn rand hanging above his mantle either

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ To Hell with knowing your neighbors.

Great cities should be places where people aspire to be great and powerful, have novel ideas, and consume culture and material pleasures. In doing so, they get pissed off when people are in their way. There is no room for community. Community is for leafy places out in hodunk. Down with community, we must have more density, serendipity, and flow of ideas.
Libertyville.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 12:00 AM

I see that this was posted in the boom rundown but it might as well go here too. I'd go to this meeting if I could but don't have a clone and must work. I hope others here who post so passionately and have the time will attend.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...d-logan-square

By Darryl Holliday | March 28, 2015 12:26pm

"Twin Towers" Rental Project Proposal Downsized in Logan Square

LOGAN SQUARE — A development proposal that would create the largest residential buildings in Logan Square has been downgraded but remains supersized.

The “twin towers” were introduced in October 2014 to a divided crowd. After a round of revisions, the two connected towers have been downsized from 11- and 15-story-tall buildings to 11- and 12-story-tall structures at 2293 N. Milwaukee Ave., according to the Greater Goethe Neighborhood Association.

A community meeting will be held at Haas Park Monday, March 30 at 6:30 p.m. to review the new specifications for the lot — formerly the Max Gerber property.

Last edited by BVictor1; Mar 29, 2015 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 2:21 AM
The City

Sarcasm, guys, although I do feel that "sense of community" around here often means anti density

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 4:01 AM
BANNED

Last edited by bnk; Mar 29, 2015 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 6:46 AM
BANNED

Ugh. Not a fan of the 200' long blank wall dead space.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 12:40 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Ugh. Not a fan of the 200' long blank wall dead space.
I love how they absolutely smothered it in green to try to hide how void of life that wall would be. I wonder if they could cram small retail space there.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 1:13 PM
The City

^ Agreed, that blank wall is horrible.

It's crap like this that turns people against highrises--no sensitivity to the experience of the pedestrian.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Agreed, that blank wall is horrible.

It's crap like this that turns people against highrises--no sensitivity to the experience of the pedestrian.
I think the scene looks kinda pleasant as shown. It certainly looks better than it would with a another cell phone store or even worse, a vacant store-front.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
I think the scene looks kinda pleasant as shown. It certainly looks better than it would with a another cell phone store or even worse, a vacant store-front.
Imagine it in the 5 months of the year where it won't be green but gray, dirty, and tagged with grafitti

would be cool though if they let artists decorate it, to enhance the pedestrian experience but I highly doubt they would let that happen

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:01 PM

I kinda like it, look at how well it hides the smiling perv peering out from the green looking at the girls from behind.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
except theyre showing it in the best possible light. how many people do you think are really going to hang out there. how often are those chairs and tables really going to be set up? if theres nothing to draw people, or at least provide some sort of seclusion, theres no reason to linger and just stare at the street. and yeah that greenery will not be there 8 months out of the year

not to mention most of those trees will probably be chopped down after a couple winters. take a walk around town, esp the Loop, just to see how many of those sidewalk trees surrounded bu the metal grate are lopped off at the base. im assuming roadsalt is killing them, although the conditions are pretty awful to begin with. theyre essentially sticking them in concrete. whats even the point?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:24 PM
Content provider

nice blank wall for graffiti

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:30 PM
The City

^ yep. Don't be deceived by renderings. That blank wall will look like shit, it will be depressing. That is what the community should be bitching about, instead of jealously whining about how people more successful than them are moving into "their" neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
Imagine it in the 5 months of the year where it won't be green but gray, dirty, and tagged with grafitti

would be cool though if they let artists decorate it, to enhance the pedestrian experience but I highly doubt they would let that happen
Yeah, but that applies to all of Chicago. Nothing looks good with a mount of dirty snow piled in front of it. A public art installation would be nice as a part of the green space...(cue the Che Guevara/Cesar Chavez mural.)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:34 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I know it's been discussed a few times here, but the Malcolm X college expansion is on track, and looks like most of the framing is already complete, per the webcam:

(The school's website stated that it will be able to accomodate 20,000 students once the new campus is complete next year, about 6,000 more than current capacity).

http://oxblue.com/open/clarkconstruction/malcolmx

(renderings from the Archpaper article):
http://www.archpaper.com/news/articl...2#.VRlqzfnF9rI

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:35 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post

I agree. It'd be perfect to commission work from outsider artists like Mario Gonzales, Jr., Chris Silva, Ish Muhammad, Tewz, etc.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I see that this was posted in the boom rundown but it might as well go here too. I'd go to this meeting if I could but don't have a clone and must work. I hope others here who post so passionately and have the time will attend.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...d-logan-square

"Twin Towers" Rental Project Proposal Downsized in Logan Square

LOGAN SQUARE — A development proposal that would create the largest residential buildings in Logan Square has been downgraded but remains supersized.

The “twin towers” were introduced in October 2014 to a divided crowd. After a round of revisions, the two connected towers have been downsized from 11- and 15-story-tall buildings to 11- and 12-story-tall structures at 2293 N. Milwaukee Ave., according to the Greater Goethe Neighborhood Association.

A community meeting will be held at Haas Park Monday, March 30 at 6:30 p.m. to review the new specifications for the lot — formerly the Max Gerber property.

From the Logan Square Neighborhood Association:
http://www.lsna.net/mobile/calendar/5011

I'm reading some rather troubling rhetoric...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development