HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Movement on the Main Gate Square hotel project. Not clear if it's still slated to be a Residence Inn, though.

http://tucson.com/news/local/educati...9f8fdc6c2.html

http://www.hcwdevelopment.com/news-h...son,-az-28.php
Hope there's a paycheck deduction option, I'd pay $12 biweekly.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 4:20 AM

Two new tenants coming to the Houghton Town Center (Houghton Road and Old Vail Road). Currently the center has a Walmart, Panda Express, and a Discount Tire. The center will get a Brake Masters, to open sometime in 2015. The big news though is that the first free-standing Emergency Room in the Tucson are is set to open late in 2015 in the Houghton Town Center. I've long thought that a hospital was needed on the southeast side, as the closest to the fast-growing area is St. Joe's on Wilmot, just north of Broadway. Though this isn't a full hospital, obviously an ER there could help save lives. Here's the article (not sure when it was written): http://realestatedaily-news.com/tag/...print=pdf-page

Also, while on the subject of Houghton Rd., as some, if not all of you know, the intersection of Houghton and Broadway is now widened and opened, and the project is just beginning widening Houghton from Broadway to 22nd Street. Also, of course, the Houghton widening project is complete and opened from Irvington to Valencia. It appears the last of the southern projects will start next year. According to an AZ Daily Star article from August 25, 2014, (http://tucson.com/news/local/road-ru...8080515c9.html) three segments will be started next year.
"Pieces of Houghton currently being done, or still in the works, include:
- Irvington to Valencia is about done, needing just some signage and small erosion protection additions after the rains.
- The Houghton/Broadway intersection is about 80 percent done.
- The Houghton/Broadway Park and Ride project will begin Sept. 4.
- Broadway to 22nd Street utilities are being relocated for an anticipated October start to construction.
- The bridge over the Union Pacific Railroad is expected to start construction in June 2015.
- The bridge to I-10 is 80 percent designed, and also expected to start construction in June 2015.
- Funding for Valencia to Old Vail/Mary Ann Cleveland Way was just approved, with construction slated for April of 2015."

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 4:28 AM

So, this is a little off the topic of Tucson, but still important for the area, and urban growth in general, but not sure if anyone saw 60 Minutes on CBS this last Sunday (11/23/14). The first segment was titled, 'Falling Apart: America's Neglected Infrastructure'. Though the segment focussed on bridges and roads, it also mentioned the need for airport improvements - including new runways and a better air-traffic control system, seaport improvements, and High-Speed Rail. The segment mentioned that this is not only a safety issue, but also an economic issue for the United States, and highlighted that this is an issue that the US Chamber of Commerce and unions have actually come together and agreed on.

Here's a link the the segment. I urge everyone to take a look at it: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/falling-...nfrastructure/

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
So, this is a little off the topic of Tucson, but still important for the area, and urban growth in general, but not sure if anyone saw 60 Minutes on CBS this last Sunday (11/23/14). The first segment was titled, 'Falling Apart: America's Neglected Infrastructure'. Though the segment focussed on bridges and roads, it also mentioned the need for airport improvements - including new runways and a better air-traffic control system, seaport improvements, and High-Speed Rail. The segment mentioned that this is not only a safety issue, but also an economic issue for the United States, and highlighted that this is an issue that the US Chamber of Commerce and unions have actually come together and agreed on.

Here's a link the the segment. I urge everyone to take a look at it: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/falling-...nfrastructure/
Saw parts of it and, although many here many know this is a major issue, others do not. In Tucson, I'm thankful we're getting the new air traffic control tower and I believe a new runway is in the works but, on one of the most basic levels of infrastructure, our roads are just deplorable. Until we can convince the 49% of people who voted against our latest road improvement initiative that this is a major problem for everyone, we'll continue to suffer.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 12:29 AM

Never been so grateful for our dry, warm climate which eliminates a lot of the things that are tearing Americas infrastructure apart rapidly such as moisture, road salt, ice expanding and contracting. It definitely gives our bridges and other infrastructure extended life but they are by no means in great shape or up to the standard they should be.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 10:46 PM

There was a good segement on NPR's Here and Now regarding Streetcar development across the country. They spent a good 5-10 mins talking with the Project Manager on Tucson's Streetcar. Here is some info on the segement:

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/12/0...revival-tucson

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:46 PM

So, this article is horribly written, but it references a couple of developments, including the Residence Inn at Main Gate Square.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/residents-n...with-progress/

The second development is a new student housing complex on 7th Street between 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue. No rendering yet, but the site plan is on PRO and indicates 7 floors of apartments with an 8th floor pool. The architects are the same people who designed the District on 5th.

http://www.humphreys.com/portfolio/district-at-arizona/

Combined with the renovation of the Corbett Building, this seems like a great proposal for a currently empty lot that doesn't border any existing residential areas.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 12:14 AM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Article on the Star's website talking about Oro Valley buying the El Conquistador Country Club for a town rec center. Would come with a half-cent sales tax increase to pay for reno/remodel projects over the next 5-6 years.

Oro Valley Rec Center Purchase Proposal

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 3:14 PM

Campaign to Expand Reid Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMole View Post
Article on the Star's website talking about Oro Valley buying the El Conquistador Country Club for a town rec center. Would come with a half-cent sales tax increase to pay for reno/remodel projects over the next 5-6 years.

Oro Valley Rec Center Purchase Proposal
I think that it would be great for Oro Valley to do this. As most of you know there's a movement to expand Reid Park by using the current golf courses for multiple recreational uses. It has received a lot of push back.

http://www.naturaltucson.com/TUCS/Se...and-Reid-Park/

Anybody think that this has to do less with the conversion and financing of the proposed repurpose of Reid Park, and more to do with the populations that would benefit from Reid Park being repurposed?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 7:40 PM

In reference to that Corbett Site above. Any idea what they are going to do with the Corbett building on the Corner? Are they going to leave it as is and hope some other developer picks it up or will it be part of the site?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 7:52 PM

Not a lot of changes, these are from last week 11-27-14

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
In reference to that Corbett Site above. Any idea what they are going to do with the Corbett building on the Corner? Are they going to leave it as is and hope some other developer picks it up or will it be part of the site?
I know Scott Stiteler has been looking for people to redevelop the building for the past couple of years. The holdup has been that it needs a fair amount of structural work. Looks like it will be redeveloped and integrated into the project.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 9:21 PM

City sells land for another private dorm

By Mariana Dale Arizona Daily Star

"The proposed Hub II would be six stories and house nearly 300 students and there would be no retail element."

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 11:25 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
City sells land for another private dorm

By Mariana Dale Arizona Daily Star

"The proposed Hub II would be six stories and house nearly 300 students and there would be no retail element."
If anyone is looking for some early drawings of the building, link below goes to the Tucson PRO website where they're up for permitting and such.

1023 N Tyndall

EDIT: The photo that shows the actual building is 002_A001

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 1:56 PM

Here's the entire design package approved by the Main Gate District Design Review Committee.

http://pdsd.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/...age_082614.pdf

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 2:45 AM

Is the Guggenheim Coming to Sixth Street and Stone? We're Guessing No

Anyone know what this is all about?? Tucson Weekly says it's a hoax, which I tend to agree with, but why?? I was all excited when I drove by on my way to work today, kinda sucks if it is a hoax.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 6:56 PM

Only thing I can think of is some commentary on downtown links-- that particular plot of land will be islanded on 4 sides by paths/roads once it's complete.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 3:22 PM

Does anyone have insight into the future of the former Hotel Arizona downtown? Lopez closed that place over 2 1/2 years ago. I drive by it every morning and I am just surprised that space goes unused. There is a Streetcar stop right on the corner, the location is good for Downtown events, everyone wants a hotel downtown. If it is going to go unsued, lets do something better with the space.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Does anyone have insight into the future of the former Hotel Arizona downtown? Lopez closed that place over 2 1/2 years ago. I drive by it every morning and I am just surprised that space goes unused. There is a Streetcar stop right on the corner, the location is good for Downtown events, everyone wants a hotel downtown. If it is going to go unsued, lets do something better with the space.
Think Lopez is sitting on it until the city pays for him to fix it. Wish that guy would sell the property and get out of downtown forever.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Think Lopez is sitting on it until the city pays for him to fix it. Wish that guy would sell the property and get out of downtown forever.
Agreed. I hope things like the AC deal show him that his property isn't the only viable place for a hotel and he has much less leverage than he thinks he does. With the streetcar, any hotel along the route is a marketable bed for the city to advertise as convention-appropriate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest