HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I think your figures are a bit off for Portland proper. The 2010 population was 584,000 and the current estimate is about 633,000. That's 49,000 in the past 5 years alone. Portland has added just over 100,000 since 2000.
if you trust the PSU urban affairs program, their reports estimate the current population at 613k more of less. so lets just split the difference between them and us census. https://www.pdx.edu/prc/population-reports-estimates. im curious how the upzoning in r2 neighborhoods along transit lines is going to play out. i think thats up for a vote pretty soon.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 4:36 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Could Beaverton go vertical? On Google maps I see an incomplete looking TOD around Beaverton Central MAX Station. Beaverton has a lot of what appears to be low-end suburban commercial areas in its older town center. You'd think that would be ripe for building up. It could almost be a Bellevue type edge city with the right impetus and effort. I know things like that take a lot of affluence and demand, but its not like the Nike campus isn't next door or anything like that...

The WES could be upgraded as well, with better frequency. Maybe ditch the current DMU's and get something that could run on MAX tracks as well? A diesel train probably couldn't go through the tunnel to downtown, but it could go the other way to Hillsboro.
Beaverton is a hot mess when it comes to their downtown. The first mistake was running the MAX so far from downtown, since the line runs so far north, they are basically at the mercy of building a new downtown from scratch. As far as I know, there hasn't been any organized masterplan for the area around the light rail stop and the Round itself is a hot mess that could have been a good idea....though to be fair, it has been years since I have been out to the Round, so it might be better today.

The WES needs to be ditched for a new light rail line, the westside should have at least 5 lines running though it now rather than what currently exists. Much of the traffic on the westside is the fault of the people on the westside who haven't been pushing for expanding light rail or expanding highways.

As for urban developments, we will probably see an increase of Orenco style developments, and Hillsboro has had grand ideas in the past for new urban districts and could eventually become the big satellite city on the west side of the metro.

It would be nice to see one of the suburb cities surrounding Portland to become a mini Bellevue, even better if it could be done with a new MAX line....so maybe along the SW corridor. Though I am expecting development to one day come to downtown Milwaukie since the opening of the Orange line, though that is some time down the line before I expect that to happen.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 7:52 PM

^^^the round did have a masterplan but the builder's financing fell thru a few times so the original plan was cut short. things were put on halt for a long time and the lofts had tons of water damage from neglect. I guess that settle now. WES is goofy too, I agree. a proprietary train self powered train design? I guess if that's what you want to do??? I think its too late for a portland Bellevue unless it happens at gateway or Lloyd district. im glad you mention milwaukie though, I think downtown milwaukie will turn into something great in 10 years. its got the form and its near the water. if they can mix the two, it could be what lake oswego should be, a urban village where you can actually access the water. ten bucks says, all transit eyes will be on barbur blvd within 5 years too.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:12 PM

I think Downtown Beaverton would be an excellent candidate for vertical growth and densification. There is bus, max, and wes service. The area is proximal to very large employers. And there is plentiful underutilized land. Not sure if there is demand for additional office space in Beaverton, but the addition of some 5+1 projects in downtown and the area NW of it could really change the character of the area.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:33 PM
Registered Ugly

There has been a ton of infill/midrise residential development the last couple of years by Beaverton standards. I'm hoping the momentum continues.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:39 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Yep, there are some going on right now between Hall Blvd. & Cedar Hills.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Ship those do nothing hipsters to the city limits of Detroit
hipsters now come with better resumes. all the lazy portlandia types got priced out. moustaches are optional.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 5:07 AM

its kinda depressing to think about the northwest in 20 years. its a pretty area and only two cities have light rail. or no cities with it if theres the earthquake. maybe boise will become the third major city. that would help seattle and portland.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 2:50 PM

when that happens the only way to get to the other side of the cascades would be by boat and who knows if over here there will be internet, maybe someone knows over. everything is run by the internet so how will we buy food? ive heard seattle runs the internet for the nw.

theres also buses that could get sorta close to the cities but there wont be many greyhounds since they mostly come from portland and seattle. there might not be many boats left, maybe hawaii would bring over boats? so many questions. most people would stay there i think, there isnt a city with no one in it over here for everyone to go to

[EDIT]...... thoses posts were deleted so guess im talking to myself lol. we were talking about a earthquake
going back to op i think there shoul be at least three big cities so portland and seatle dont turn into a non working cities because of sprawl
thanks for not deleting i hope someone knows here. i think boise will go on like nothing happened but oregon and washington though.

Last edited by dubu; Aug 25, 2018 at 4:00 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions