HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 3:04 AM
Honored Member

Here's a bigger picture from today's paper of Downtown Fargo and the floodwaters:

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 3:57 AM
loving that Gary skyline

Wow. Does this just affect a park (or flood plain) along the Red River or have the floodwaters spilled over into any neighbourhoods? And how has the Moorhead side fared?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanCalcasieu
Wow. Does this just affect a park (or flood plain) along the Red River or have the floodwaters spilled over into any neighbourhoods? And how has the Moorhead side fared?
Only 2 homes have been lost this year and 75 are in danger of being flooded, so it isn't as if the whole city is in extreme danger or anything. If the river was a couple feet higher then things would be alot different but thankfully the Red has crested at 37.14 ft(2 ft below record flood in 1997), as long as the dikes hold Fargo-Moorhead will be ok. To put this years flood in perspective to 97 Fargo spent $400,000 on flood protection this year and in 97the city spent over $1.2 million. Some outlying towns and farms are still at risk though but it looks like most of the region will be safe this year. Here are some pictures of the flooding in Eastern ND.

Wild Rice River by Perley Minnesota

Argusville ND, 15 miles from Fargo

This in Fargo and of course the bridge in normally just a bit wider then the River

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 9:29 PM
What could go wrong?

I was just in Fargo over the weekend. The area around the mall is sure expanding. It is finally reaching across I94. Lots of new restaurants which is nice every time we come down.

The flooding wasn't that bad yet when we were there. I know here in Winnipeg they greatly misjudged the flood forcast and opened the floodway yesterday. We are still experiencing localized flooding in some areas of the city but generally the floodway is keeping us dry. Not so good for the areas outside of the floodway south of Winnipeg - they are fucked. Almost as bad as the flood of the century back in 97 - the flood that shit kicked Grand Forks. It seems that the flooding in the Red River Valley has been getting worse in the last 10 years. I guess that's why they are spending $650 million to expand the floodway.

Good luck to you Smiley!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 10:47 PM

hey, thats the nicest pic of fargos skyline I have ever seen.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 12:07 PM
Honored Member

Well, flood danger is over. The waters are expected to recede into Moderate Stage later today. In the meantime, there are two more development stories that made the news today. Here they are:

A new $15 million senior living-oriented development is expexted to startb construction this spring:

Better senior living?
By Teri Finneman, The Forum
Published Saturday, April 08, 2006

Construction is expected to begin this spring in south Fargo on a $15 million senior living facility in a 48-acre development devoted to people ages 50 and older.

Edgewood Development Group in Grand Forks, N.D., is planning to build a one-story 99-unit assisted-living facility connected to a three-story 85-unit independent-living facility at 4440 37th Ave. S.

The future Edgewood Village development will also consist of 34 twin homes, 48 patio homes, 11 single-family homes, a small business district, parks and ponds, said Phil Gisi, chief financial officer and co-owner of Edgewood Development Group.

“This concept is what our company has changed into over the last few years,” Gisi said of the expanded development. “We’re trying to build a neighborhood for really active seniors, or the 50 or better population.”

The development group does feasibility studies on communities across the Upper Midwest and has been eyeing Fargo as a site for many years, Gisi said.

After taking time to build out of state, the company decided to come back to North Dakota and expand more locally, he said.

The Fargo assisted-living and independent-living facility will occupy 13 acres of the development and is expected to be complete by summer 2007.

The facility will employ about 110 people and include a memory care unit for people with Alzheimer’s, Gisi said.

The assisted-living section will be joined to the independent-living building by a commons area that will include a chapel, hair salon, café and 40-seat movie theater, Gisi said.

The theater is set up where residents can bring in their own movies and watch in a nicer setting with popcorn and pop, he said.

Residents’ rooms will be designed like apartments. Assisted-living residents will have studio-size apartments, while independent-living residents will have large two-bedroom apartments, he said.

“It’s almost like a condominium,” Gisi said of the independent-living building. “People can buy their own units if they like, or they can rent them from us. If they need additional services, we can provide that in there also.”

Elsewhere on the property, six twin homes and patio homes are expected to be built by fall, Gisi said. More homes will be built as demand arises.

The patio homes will range from 1,300 to 2,100 square feet, while the twin homes will be about 2,300 square feet, Gisi said. Twin homes with a three-stall garage will be close to 2,800 square feet.

Gisi said Friday he didn’t know a price range for these homes yet, but said they would be competitively priced. The homes will belong to an association. No income guidelines apply.

“Basically, we sell it as an active lifestyle where you can move in and be safe and if you need help, it’s there,” Gisi said.

Edgewood Village will also devote more than 5½ acres to a park that includes an arbor walk and bike paths. Two ponds are also on the development.

Possible businesses for the small commercial area on the site include a bank, coffee shop and pharmacy, Gisi said.

The commitment by Edgewood Development Group to offer a quality living area is evident by the uniqueness of the project, said Alan Dostert, president of EAPC Architects Engineers. The Fargo firm is designing the development.

“This is great. I think it will make for a living environment that will just be tremendous,” Dostert said.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 12:09 PM
Honored Member

Wal-Mart finally got the go-ahead to build a Supercenter on the northeast corner of 52nd Avenue South and I-29. A SuperTarget will also be built on the southwest corner.

City staff advise Wal-Mart approval
By Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Saturday, April 08, 2006

Fargo planning staff have recommended the Planning Commission approve a plan that would allow for a Wal-Mart supercenter northeast of Interstate 29 and 52nd Avenue South.

Fred and Earlyne Hector have asked the city to amend its growth plan to increase the amount of commercial property in their parcel from 10 acres to 50 acres.

The Planning Commission will hold a public hearing on the request at 9 a.m. Wednesday at City Hall.

Due to strong neighborhood opposition to the proposed Wal-Mart supercenter, city planners prepared three land-use options for the Planning Commission to consider.

City Planning Director Jim Gilmour said the option being recommended by staff would increase the commercial area to roughly 45 acres – more than enough for a Wal-Mart supercenter.

“We looked at the evaluation factors and felt that it was an acceptable request,” he said.

Gilmour said city staff listened closely to residents’ concerns, but a traffic study didn’t show the cut-through traffic that residents feared. Existing residential areas to the east and north would be about a quarter-mile from the supercenter, he said.

Wal-Mart has agreed to follow design standards and to position the store so that the loading dock – which some residents complained would be too noisy and brightly lit – faces I-29 to the west, Gilmour said.

The recommended option also includes a green buffer space between the commercial and residential areas, and some office space would be replaced by green space.

The connection of 32nd Street to 52nd Avenue would meander to limit cut-through traffic, and a roundabout on 32nd Street would slow traffic.

Jay Manley, who lives on 46th Avenue South just north of the Hector land, said no option that puts Wal-Mart northeast of I-29 and 52nd Avenue is acceptable.

Wal-Mart would be landlocked between residential areas, and it makes more sense for the retailer to locate directly across I-29 on land also owned by the Hectors, Manley said.

“It’s not the right area for that kind of store,” he said.

The public hearing has been continued twice since October at the Hectors’ request.

Gilmour said he spoke to the Hectors’ attorney Friday and was told they don’t plan to seek a third continuance.

Under the Planning Department’s bylaws, landowners requesting a land-use change may be granted a maximum of three continuances, said Senior Planner Jim Hinderaker.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 1:03 AM
still here

Talking

I am so excited that the SuperTarget and SuperWal-Mart are going in.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 1:04 AM
still here

Talking

I live in Horace so with these new stores going in the value of my house is going to go up!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 2:51 AM
Honored Member

Oh, SNAP!!! We have another FM forumer!!! Welcome, F-Misthebest!!!

You live in Horace, you say?? That's cool. That town is growing like crazy, and last time I checked it was almost completely connected to WF. I consider it part of the urban area.

I'm a student at NDSU, btw.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 2:58 AM
Honored Member

Also, I just want to inform that I will be taking pics for a Fargo photo thread either later this week or early next week. I've got all of my schoolwork out of the way for now, so I'll be able to free up a day to do that.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 5:34 AM
BANNED

SmileyBoy will no longer be using "Only the Lonely" as his official theme song from this day forward!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 9:45 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^LOL. Hey Smiley, can a Fargo meet be far off?

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 11:29 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan
^LOL. Hey Smiley, can a Fargo meet be far off?
Hey, you never know. According to the thread in Skybar, there are around 24 SSP forumers living in Winnipeg, and Winnipeg is close to 4 times the size of F-M, so by that ratio, there should be at least 6 or 7 of us.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 11:41 AM
Honored Member

BIG FUCKING NEWS!!! I was just reading the local paper, and now Menards wants to build a THIRD store in the F-M area on the intersection of 52nd Avenue South and I-29 where the Wal-Mart Supercenter and SuperTarget are planned to be built!!! This will make the intersection of I-29 and 52nd a MAJOR commercial area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Fargo has new suitor
By Teri Finneman, The Forum
Published Tuesday, April 11, 2006

What does Menards have in common with Wal-Mart and Target?

Other than being big-box retailers, all are clamoring to build at the intersection of Fargo’s 52nd Avenue South and Interstate 29.

Menards representatives recently met with city planners to discuss their interest in property north of 52nd Avenue and west of I-29.

Wal-Mart is working through the planning process for land east across the interstate to build a supercenter.

Owners of land south of 52nd and west of I-29 have said they’ve been in talks with Target, but the real estate broker for the potential buyer won’t reveal who is interested in the land or for what purpose.

The Eau Claire, Wis.-based Menards is also planning a new store in Moorhead north of Interstate 94 and west of Main Avenue at the site of a current soccer complex. It could open by spring 2007.

The approximately 160 acres Menards inquired about in Fargo belong to Fred and Earlyne Hector, said Jim Gilmour, Fargo planning director.

Menards is eyeing the same piece of land some Fargo city leaders have been pushing Wal-Mart to pursue since neighbors east of the interstate protested.

Fargo Senior Planner Jim Hinderaker said Menards told city officials the company has an option to buy the Hector land north of 52nd Avenue and west of the I-29.

Neither the Hectors nor Menards have submitted any applications to the city regarding the land, Hinderaker said.

When reached by phone Monday, Earlyne Hector declined to comment.

However, Marv Prochaska, vice president of real estate for Menards, confirmed Monday the company does have the property under a contract to purchase and is in the process of developing a plan.

“It’s going to be throughout the summer. We will be working on it,” Prochaska said.

Menards is interested in 150 acres, with a large portion to be retail commercial, he said. Some will also be mixed-use residential. The city’s growth plan allows for about 30 acres of commercial development on the property.

The company also wants to create a buffer between the planned residential areas west of 42nd Street South, Prochaska said.

Growth in Fargo-Moorhead drove Menards’ decision to pursue another new store, Prochaska said. The retailer’s current area store is at 1300 13th Ave. E. in West Fargo.

“Every time you turn around, it’s something new growing,” Prochaska said of the area. “The demand appears to be there. We’re kind of hoping to fill that demand.”

The proximity of the proposed Wal-Mart Supercenter also influenced the decision for Menards, he said.

“Us being a big retailer, Wal-Mart being a big retailer will bring people here to shop,” Prochaska said.

Fargo City Commissioner Dr. Tim Mahoney said Monday he was aware of Menards’ interest in buying land in south Fargo.

The interest explains why the Hectors didn’t want to move the Wal-Mart Supercenter to the west side of I-29, he said.

The Fargo Planning Commission will have a public hearing on the Wal-Mart issue at 9 a.m. Wednesday at City Hall.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 12:21 PM
still here

Talking

That's is AMAZINGLY GREAT News! That would be wonderful to put in Menards! I think that they should build a Macaroni Grill and a Red Robin down south by the SuperTarget and the Wal-Mart Supercenter! If you go to southpointepavillions.com ( its a wonderful mall in Lincoln, Nebraska ) and see what else should go in Fargo. I think that Fargo is ready for a mall like this!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 12:25 PM
still here

Talking

I'm sorry. The website is www.southpointeshopping.com. Sorry!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 12:34 PM
still here

Hey SmileyBoy, you should draw some pics of Fargo buildings on skyscraperpage.com! That would be cool!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 6:16 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
Hey SmileyBoy, you should draw some pics of Fargo buildings on skyscraperpage.com! That would be cool!
Hey there, I've been busy all morning. In response to your asking if I have submitted any drawings, I learned that I don't have the correct software to do a diagram drawing, because doing that with MS Paint would be almost impossible. One has to be able to make the pics very small, something like 1 meter per pixle, or something like that, I forgot.

In response to your ideas on the development on 52nd, I personally hope they can eventually make it into a commercial area with mostly upper-scale, unique businesses to Fargo-Moorhead. For example, some of the restaurants I invision being built at that intersection are Chipotle, Popeye's Fried Chicken, Breugger's Bagels, Jimmy John's, PF Chang's, California Pizza Kitchen, Boston Market, Romano's Macaroni Grill, Fuddruckers, etc. I know that not all of those will be built, but it would be nice if some of these were.

BTW, I agree on Red Robin. Ever been to the one in Plymouth, MN?? REALLY good burgers.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 12:40 AM
still here

Smile

I have not been to the one in Plymouth but I have been to the one in Lincoln, Nebraska. And I know. Their burgers are the best!!!! I always get the bleu cheese burger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest