HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:16 PM

The completion date is set for 4 months before the Rio games. By that time, hopefully some Olympians will be training in W-S. I had no idea this building had what looks to be a grand staircase? A brewery on Main Street steps from the IQ, a new hotel and apartments should do well here. I cannot wait for this to open.

to all this new energy this city is attracting. Dash attendance is up, Cycling skyrocketing, Tennis is building, all the new festivals...great times.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 5:10 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

National Black Theatre Hall of Fame:
The Arts Council is attempting to buy this building, from the developer currently purchasing the Journal Site. According to news reports, this 1926 Independence Hall Building will become part of the National Black Theatre Hall of Fame project. Two universities will also offer community classes in the building. Very exciting!

Credit: Mary Beth Knight

Credit: Robert B.

Vine Street Conference Center:

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Home Price Increase:
Winston-Salem had the second highest home-price increase in North Carolina, according to CoreLogic.

Mixxer Makerspace:
It appears as if this is the building they will renovate? They may use STITCH Design Shop as their architect?

Credit: Mixxer

National Center for Design Innovation:
This facility will open in Fall 2015. From the photographs, at this point, I think construction is likely completed and they are moving-in or preparing to move-in? I will leave it on the construction list until it officially opens.

Credit: CDI

Novant Health Clemmons Medical Center:
The second phase of this project is now in design. Winston-Salem based Novant Health has hired BBH Design as the architect. It's a $49 million, 90,000 square foot, 50 bed tower and will include 3 new operating rooms. The project could scale back the number of beds, but we won't know for sure until next month, at the earliest. Construction is expected to begin in December and take 18-20 months to complete (Summer 2017). No general contractor is selected at this time. The design is expected to look similar to Novant's new Haymarket Medical Center in suburban Washington D.C.,. This expansion will create 100 new hospital jobs.

Wake Forest School of Medicine:
Wake Forest University's downtown medical school and a Winston-Salem Symphony concert in the park. I see paint on the west side! I also see the openings on the western end of the roof are now closed, so the mechanical penthouse can be constructed above them. Take note of the metal beams, which I'm guessing are part of the framing for the mechanical penthouse?

Credit: Jason Williams

An aerial view, from the Plaza Building, of the painting work!

Credit: wb256

UNCSA's School of Drama:
It's off-subject for this thread, but I'll post it anyway: The UNCSA School of Drama is ranked 6th in the world, again, by the Hollywood Reporter. We do have students in other states, applying to universities in Winston-Salem, who are reading this thread.

50 West Fourth Apartments & Retail:

Credit: Jon Dillon

Best U.S. Cities for a Staycation:
Wallet Hub ranked Winston-Salem as the best city in North Carolina, and one of the nation's top 20 best cities, for a staycation. The list is based on recreation activities, food and entertainment options, and rest and relaxation opportunities.

Interesting 1938 Streamline Moderne House:
A little off-topic, but I'll add it anyway. This is located in the Ardmore Neighborhood.

Last edited by Matthew; Jun 9, 2015 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 5:32 AM

[QUOTE=Matthew;7055579]Projects & Construction:

National Black Theatre Hall of Fame:
The Arts Council is attempting to buy this building, from the developer currently purchasing the Journal Site. According to news reports, this 1926 Independence Hall Building will become part of the National Black Theatre Hall of Fame project. Two universities will also offer community classes in the building. Very exciting!

Was there a risk of the purchasing developer destroying or otherwise ruining it? As long as they preserve that beautiful building, then go for it!

I love your posts and look forward to them constantly. Keep up the great work!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 5:42 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you.

I'm not sure if it was in danger of demolition or not? The loss of state historic tax credits could place some structures at risk of demolition, but I would like to think the developer would've saved that structure and incorporated it into whatever they have planned for the site.

Projects & Construction:

Third & Cherry Hotel:
And we lead with the biggest story. Demolition is about to start for this hotel. We could see demolition by the end of this month or early next month?

The bank building with 4 evergreen trees and neighboring brick building will be replaced by a hotel:

Credit: a/perture cinema

455@Vine... Virginia Tech?:
According to BioMed Realty, the building at 455 Vine Street is now 100% fully leased. It hasn't been confirmed, but it's believed the Virginia Tech Joint Biomedical Engineering & Sciences School may have leased this 115,300 square foot downtown space and could include dorms for students in their plans? The Virginia Tech Engineering School would work with the downtown medical school. Don't get too excited... Nothing involving the tenant has been confirmed or officially announced at this time. We just know it is 100% leased.

Credit: Ken Cruise

The Courtyard:

The Edge Flats Tower Two:
Work on this building is almost complete. This image (below) is a fully loaded lounge with eat-in kitchen. It has an updated 1969 appearance, in my opinion? Very unusual. These are fully furnished apartments. If you're interested: (336) 283-8660 These are very reasonable, have several great amenities, and, again, they are fully furnished. If you need a "furnished" apartment, go there and take a tour.

Credit: Edge Flats

Science & Office Building:
The Governor spoke in Winston-Salem on the importance of this building and encouraged people who support the bonds to contact their legislators.

Credit: Design Collective

50 West Fourth Apartments & Retail: Built!
I'm really not sure, but it appears as if the first tenant moved-in around 6 weeks ago? So, I'll label it as built. These are very nice apartments from one of the best developers. The location is among the best in the city, in the historic courthouse square (this was the county courthouse at one time)! I highly recommend these units. They are 1-2 bedrooms. This building only has 58 units, so if you're interested, talk to them today! (336) 602-1733.

Credit: Mike Wilson

Credit: Robert 58

The building was built in 1896 and expanded twice (1925 & 1959).

Credit: 50 West Fourth

Workers are building the skylight and mechanical penthouse at the university's downtown medical school.

Mechanical Penthouse on the Left - Skylight on the Right:

Urban Outfitters Renovating Downtown Woolworth's Building?
According to someone at WSTB, a rumor around downtown is: The renovation at the Woolworth's Building is possibly for Urban Outfitters? We can't confirm this at this time, but I can say it is a big renovation. Just the exterior renovation alone will cost around a quarter-million dollars. This building was the site of the First Sit-in Victory, so it is an historic site. I'm not sure why the historic marker is across the street though? We usually don't follow restaurant/retail renovations in this thread. However, due to the construction value of this renovation and the history of the site, we may follow this renovation?

1798 Philip Hoehns House:
This 217 year old structure is now fully restored to its original appearance, by Tom Gray and his husband Paul Zickell. Even the rooms are in their original 1798 locations! This is now their primary residence and they didn't want any photographs of the interior. We can still enjoy the beautiful exterior. I love this restoration! Even the orange paint on the foundation was matched to the original 1798 color!

Credit: Lisa O'Donnell

RAI Hiring 1,000 People?
The the $29.3 billion RAI - LO merger is rumored to have created around 1,000 new jobs, but nothing is confirmed at this time. The company is saying a "significant" number of new jobs. If you're looking for a job in Winston-Salem, RAI is hiring!

Kimpton's The Cardinal Hotel & Residences:
Could this be an outdoor pool and bar area, with a view... or maybe just mechanical?

Credit: Mike Walker

Downtown Urgent Care Center:
The site for this proposed facility is now at 650 Highland Avenue. The industrial building, currently on the site, will be demolished and replaced with a new building.

Camel City BBQ Factory:

Credit: Andrew Dye

Bailey Power Plant:

Credit: eeigenauer

Credit: Andrew Timmons

A Movie Filming Downtown:
It appears as if a movie is filming at the recently completed ARTivity on the Green. That has become a very popular park.

Credit: Tim Adams

Grubb Properties Project:
According to TwinCity at WSTB, a new bidder has emerged for the Center City West Parking Deck on West Fourth Street. Grubb Properties is proposing a project that could cost no less $53.8 million (if the value conversions are correct?), which has many people there, including me, talking SkyHouse. However, at this point, no one really knows what this developer is interested in building. We do know it could cost 50% more than the 760 West Fourth mixed-use highrise and must be completed by 2019. The winning developer will keep the large parking deck and use it for their proposed development. Whatever it is, it could be a very big project. The project would have to locate within 1,000 feet of the parking deck, if you want to guess the site and what could be built there. A piece of land beside the parking deck, the developer can use for a residential project, is also included with the parking deck.

Yes, this is the same parking deck the mixed-use 760 West Fourth highrise developer is bidding on. The parking deck will go to the highest bidder. If Grubb Properties wins the parking deck bidding war, I'm not sure what impact it would have on 760 West Fourth?

Smith Reynolds Airport:
The airport commission will ask the county for matching money to relocate Taxiway A and work on Taxiway F and remove terrain obstructions from one of the runways.

McHugh Sisters Flats:
Salem College's new downtown residence hall is looking great! Be sure to donate to the Women of Purpose campaign.

Credit: Wayne Reich

I know you want to go inside, so lets go inside!

Transportation Infrastructure:

Creative Corridors:
Wow! Big meeting tonight! We may not have all of the details of this meeting at the time of this SSP Update? If not, I'll update this topic again next time.

The room was packed!

Credit: Creative Corridors

Alternative Transportation:

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:

This is Walter Hood:

Walter Hood was the 2009 recipient of the prestigious Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award. Most of his work is on the west coast, but he did work on the Center for Civil and Human Rights in Atlanta.

The Winston-Salem Land Bridge Walter Hood Designed:

Yes, the expressway is hidden from cyclists by the landscaping!

Donald MacDonald designed the new Green Street Bicycle & Pedestrian Bridge. Donald MacDonald is also the visionary behind Portland's Tilikum Crossing Bicycle & Pedestrian Bridge.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:30 AM
Fourth and Main

Do you see a project on the first page list of this thread that was completed? Maybe it's shown as proposed and construction has started? Leave a post and tell me! I suspect the B/E Aerospace Engineering Development Lab is built? I think architect Deborah Berke & Partners' amazing Film Production Design Center is also built? I just can't seem to confirm this. The Semans Arts Library will stay on our list until August, according to a recent update.

Projects & Construction:

A look "inside" the university's new downtown medical school. Yes, we are going inside the downtown medical school construction site, with Whiting-Turner Construction, in this update! Be prepared to see the 6 or 7 storey atrium with skylight under construction! WOW!

Credit: Sam Wright

Dogwood posted a big update on multiple construction projects at WSTB. I'll only share a few. As usual, if you're on WSTB, be sure to thank the photographer! The image below shows Fifth Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood @ WSTB
Semans Arts Library:
This new library will officially open on August 14, at 9 a.m.,.

D1 Sports Training:
NBA star Chris Paul's (cp3) D1 Sports Training facility in Winston-Salem is almost finished. Workers installed the XGrass synthetic turf last week.

Credit: Sports Med Properties

Chatham Manufacturing Adaptive Reuse
Forum member Dogwood, at WSTB, posted an amazing update on the apartment and office space renovation project at Union Carbide's former Chatham Works. I won't post all of the images, so if you want to see more, be sure to visit Dogwood's post at WSTB.

I think this part of the building is from 1906 or 1907?
Quote:

Salem College Science Campus:
A donation from RAI's foundation will help Salem College reach their goal of building the first building in their new Mathematics and Science Campus.

455@Vine Office Building:
The "rumored" Virginia Tech Biomedical Engineering and Sciences School. No tenants are confirmed for this space at this time. Just rumors from a good source.

Quote:

Grubb Properties Project:
Thank you to TwinCity at WSTB for finding this. Grubb Properties has a site under contract (and is about to close on it) on West Fourth Street. The site is across from the Center City West Parking Deck they are trying to buy. It's good to see it will be on Fourth Street!

McHugh Sisters Flats:
Salem College's new downtown residence hall.

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Creative Corridors:
Walter Hood, who designed the landscape at the MH deYoung Museum in San Francisco, said: “On the north side, coming from downtown, we actually have the opportunity to make a park experience before you get to the bridge. Once you get on the bridge you actually have the vegetation coming all the way in. And our early examples show that we were trying to bring big trees as far out as possible, so we’re actually using them as buttresses." From what I'm reading, the NCDOT said the larger trees must stop, just before the bridge, on both sides. The landbridge will use medium sized, flowering trees, on the actual bridge deck. The NC Department of Transportation is currently putting the designs through a rigorous set of engineering and cost reviews and it appears as if these bridges can be constructed and within budget. The budget is $10 million in public funds and $5 million in private money, to be raised by Creative Corridors.

The transparent walls on the Peters Creek Parkway Bridge renderings are glass barrier walls. Since bricks aren't allowed by the NCDOT, they will create a brick motif, lining the walls of the expressway.

Happy Father's Day:

A fun story from Gannett News Service. Downtown Winston-Salem's former Reynolds Building, which is now known as The Cardinal Hotel and Residences, was officially recognized as "The Father of the Empire State Building" in 1979, when the Empire State Building's Vice-President & General Manager sent this card.

1979 Birthday Card from The Empire State Building:

Credit: Gannett News Service

This is what the card says:
Quote:
"HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DAD

On the 50th anniversary of the Reynolds Building, we would like to offer our congratulations to the structure that served as the architectural model for New York's famous skyscraper. The Empire State Building is one of the world's wonders and we are appreciative of its roots in Winston-Salem, N.C. We hope that the Reynolds Building will continue to serve R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. well, just as the Empire State Building serves the people of New York City.

Robert L. Timber

Vice-President and General Manager

THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING"
This card, along with awards and other recognitions, were offered to Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants for display in the new hotel's lobby. So, when the hotel opens, at the end of this year, be sure to look for this card.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 5:43 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Texas Pete Downtown Headquarters:
Should we say TW Garner Headquarters or Texas Pete Headquarters? I think TW Garner is more accurate, but so many people are calling it the Texas Pete Headquarters.

TW Garner has signed a 12 year lease at the Nash-Bolich Building on West Fourth Street, on downtown's Restaurant Row. The Nash-Bolich Building will become TW Garner's new corporate headquarters. TW Garner is best known as the maker of Texas Pete Hot Sauce, CHA! sriracha sauce, and Green Mountain Gringo salsa. They make other products as well. Yes, this is an adaptive reuse of a former business college's Beaux Arts building from the 1920s. A downtown headquarters will help the company attract and hire future corporate employees, provide increased visibility, and is a better location for visiting chefs and clients. Some of the company's top executives already live downtown. Though this is an adaptive reuse, the interior will be modern. Much of the original 1920s business school is still there, including the original chalkboards. It should be interesting to see if they preserve them. The building will include an expanded test kitchen on the back side, visible from the corporate boardroom. This is where the company will experiment with new products and invite chefs, food companies, and retailers to find new ways to incorporate TW Garner products into their recipes and deli offerings. Workplace Strategies and Evergreen Hill Studio will design the interior. No general contractor is selected at this time. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

A look inside Draughon’s Business College in 1939 (Future TW Garner Headquarters):

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library

455@Vine Office Building:
Recently, Bruce Kats spoke of the unanchoring of anchors; where research institutions in small towns or rural areas are moving major research assets to urban innovation districts, to seek the highest return on their investment. Sometimes these innovation districts are in other states. This possible investment by Virginia Tech in downtown Winston-Salem is a great example of this. I view it as a positive step in the development of downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. Appalachian State University is also working with the IQ District's largest anchor and has even designed housing for the IQ District!

Credit: Lindsey Piper Potter

A stormy night over 455 Vine Street:

Credit: Jerry Cooper

Credit: Jerry Cooper

Winston-Salem - 3rd Best City for Financial Jobs in the United States:
Winston-Salem was ranked third in the nation for growth in financial jobs in the past five years, according to selfstorage.com's blog about moving. Winston-Salem was ranked first in financial job growth in North Carolina. WOW! If you are looking for a job in banking or insurance, consider moving to Winston-Salem.

Third & Cherry Hotel:
According to dtws @ WSTB, a person at a hotel owned by this developer said this could be an 8-storey Hampton Inn & Suites with 150 rooms. Workers were soil testing at the site last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtws @ WSTB
Bull City Ciderworks at The Depot District:
A relocation from Durham! Bull City Ciderworks, a manufacturer of gluten-free hard apple cider, will relocate its production center and research and development operations to the new Depot District development. Bull City will also open a retail operation in the building. This is an adaptive reuse of a former warehouse. This will become the largest employment center for Bull City, with 66% of the company's employees working there. Bull City plans to eventually take over the entire building for their operations. Production of hard apple cider, in this building, will begin in September.

Bailey Power Plant:
The deal with BioMed Realty is about 85% completed, according to a source at WSTB. We could see a big news story on this project at any time.

Credit: Urban Mez

TruAtlantic Expanding:
If you're looking for a job in aerospace, Greenwich AeroGroup's TruAtlantic is hiring. They are projecting to double in size.

Pepper Building Apartments & Retail:

Credit: David B.

Atlantic Capital buys Investment Bank:
Atlantic Capital, the holding company for Hattaras Financial and ACM Financial Trust, has purchased Denver based Pingora Asset Management. You may remember, Atlantic Capital recently completed a new downtown headquarters on West Fourth Street. I think their building is now fully leased? Could we see a newer and larger Atlantic Capital Headquarters in the near future?

D1 Sports Training Built!
NBA star Chris Paul's (cp3) new D1 Sports Training facility is now open. The building contains indoor football fields, basketball courts, and an extensive physical rehabilitation and training center. D1 Sports said it focuses on replicating top college and pro training environments, with an emphasis on athletes between ages 7 and 22. This was an adaptive reuse project, converting a former wholesale floral warehouse into a sports training facility. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Credit: Steve Frazier

D1 Sports Training Winston-Salem

D1 Sports Training Winston-Salem

Software Company Moving to IQ District:
Intelligent Business Solutions (IBS Inc.), a software company, is considering relocating to downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District.

Update on the university's downtown medical school. The address for the downtown medical school is 475 Vine Street.

WOW! Both 475 Vine Street and 455 Vine Street in one photograph!

Credit: Justin

Mixxer Makerspace:
Mixxer hasn't acquired a building at this time, but the building in the last Mixxer update is one they are considering. The location will most likely be the north end of the Arts District or somewhere near Old Salem. They prefer a downtown location that is bikeable from most of the city. Expect to see an official announcement on the location in the next three or four months. Mixxer is one of two proposed makerspaces in downtown.

Broad Branch Distillery:

Credit: Broad Branch Distillery

Best Performing Stock in NC:
Winston-Salem is home to five of North Carolina's top 10 companies for stock performance, in the past five years. The list is from financial tech company SmartAsset. SmartAsset said "We wanted to find the companies with stock prices that have grown the fastest and paid the most in dividends while providing the least amount of risk to investors."

I'm guessing that is HVAC equipment?

Speaking of HVAC, look at this "Before & After" upgrade from the original 1928 equipment to new HVAC equipment!

Credit: David Heckler

The spandrels on the right are cleaned/restored:

Credit: Jamie Rose

A better photograph of the spandrel restoration:

Credit: Jesse Hall

Credit: Southern Noir

IQ District "Green" Tour:
The US Green Building Council will offer a "Talk and Walk" tour of downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District on July 28. This is a great chance to see all of the green features in the Innovation Quarter. It's almost sold-out, so visit the website and register. The contact is Katie Daniels.

50 West Fourth Apartments & Retail: Built!
It's now officially completed and we can make a big photography post on it. There are more photographs at JournalNow, if you want to see more. This building opens with two-thirds of the apartments already leased! As I've said before... apartments lease fast in downtown Winston-Salem. This is why so many out-of-town developers want to build massive apartment developments here. If you want one of these units, you need to visit their leasing office today! This is one of the best developers, with an interesting building, and these are at a good price. These are highly recommended by me. The building was built in 1896 as a courthouse and was expanded in 1926 and 1959. You can lease a unit with part of the original 112 foot (34 meter) tower, built in 1896, still visible. The amenity area is a fully restored courtroom, with judicial bench, original wood paneling, acoustical tile, original crown molding, and flags. With this project, the National Park Service required preserving original hallways and many walls. It's not like the usual factory conversions. The developer was actually required to restore the tile flooring in the amenity space. This building also has memorials and even a time capsule from 1949, under the floor, that aren't owned by the apartment developer. These are protected by easements. It wasn't an easy renovation. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Fully Restored Courtroom Used As Amenity Space: (Notice how thick the walls are!)
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1050
Credit: David Rolfe / JournalNow

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=697

Original 1896 Staircase:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=699

Original 1896 Walls:

The Courthouse... As It Appeared in 1896:

Original 1896 Vault Door: (Look at the face at the top of the door!)
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=766

1926 Expansion:

1926 Expansion's Elevator Lobby:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=771

Apartment Inside 1959 Expansion:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=667

East-West Expressway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
Update from City Beat: Winston-Salem and Forsyth County officials are seeking federal funds to build a project that will put cyclists on an equal footing with automobiles. The project will connect bicycle commuters at the university medical center / Ardmore with West End, West Salem, BB&T Ballpark, Brookstown, The Financial District, The Government District, and IQ District on a grade-separated path. This East-West bike path will also intersect two existing North-South bike paths downtown, allowing those North-South bicycle commuters to use this East-West bicycle path. A future bike & pedestrian bridge (separate project), to be built by WFIQ/BioMed Realty, will connect this bike path to a third North-South grade-separated bike path through the Innovation Quarter, along an old rail line. The Winston-Salem Metropolitan Planning Organization has already voted to allocate $1.5 million in regional transportation dollars to the project. Councilman Dan Besse said they are now applying for federal money from the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Funds, which have a July 15 deadline. The company in charge of design and engineering for the bicycle path is RS&H. Stimmel Associates will design the landscaping.

Building a bicycle commuter path beside an expressway is a relatively novel concept in the United States, but it is common in Europe and Australia. You can find many successful examples of projects like this in Europe. The path must be constructed inside the NCDOT right-of-way. To protect cyclists, the path will be at a different grade from the expressway.

According to the designers, this is intended as a piece of alternative transportation infrastructure for bicycle commuters. It's not a recreational path for relaxing walks. Though it is designed for bicycle commuters, pedestrians will be allowed to use it. Dan Besse said “I think judging from the kind of reaction I get from my constituents and the big turnout at the last public works committee, where we were discussing this project, there is a great deal of interest particularly from cyclists in the area of Ardmore and the Baptist Hospital complex who want to ride to downtown."

Credit: City Beat

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 3:10 AM

Love the courthouse photos. That project turned out better than I expected. Thanks for the updates!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 5:34 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

325 N. Broad Street:
And we start with the new mixed-use proposal for downtown! What do we know 100% as fact: This is a mixed-use building, with residential units, office space, and retail. Yes, it does have underground parking, with the underground parking entrance on West Fourth Street! You can see the underground parking entrance in the rendering. How tall is it? We really won't know for sure until we see the roof. It could reach 9 floors, including the mechanical floor, and will likely be the height of a 10-storey building from the underground parking entrance and the Fourth and Spring streets intersection. I'm "guessing" (due to the projection on the north side) it may also have a spire on the Fourth Street side, to add a little extra height, but we won't know this until we see a rendering or elevation showing the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtws @ WSTB
Inmar Expansion:
Tech company Inmar has purchased Cincinnati based Scanner Applications. No word at this time on how many jobs this could bring to Inmar's downtown headquarters, in the IQ District.

455@Vine:
Sunday July 12, 2015 drone update on this fully leased tech office building and the courtyard.

The Edge Flats - Tower Two: Built!
This project is built. If any photographs of the completed project are shared, in some type of official completion announcement, I will share those. As of right now, there aren't any interesting new photographs to share. It does appear as if this is completed. I think it was scheduled for completion last month? These are fully furnished apartments. If you're interested, talk to them today.

Woolworth's Building Renovation:
An update on the renovation of the site of the first sit-in victory. Its history makes it noteworthy for this thread. Did you know: Winston-Salem's downtown had two Woolworth's. This store on Liberty Street and another on Fourth Street. I guess if one store didn't have what you were looking for, you could walk to the other and see if they had it?

Holly Shop Restoration:
There appears to be a large amount of investor interest in Liberty Street, with investors buying retail buildings along the street, pressuring any long-time tenants to leave, and the new owner restores the building to lease it to higher paying tenants. With this happening, some building owners are now deciding to place their buildings on the market and see who is interested in buying on Liberty Street. Liberty Street is where the National Olympic Cycling Center is under construction and where the new ARTivity on the Green park is located. The city is working on plans to make Liberty Street more bicycle and pedestrian friendly as well. This building is beside the Woolworth's Building, which is discussed above.

Credit: TWC News 14

Without the 1940s store graphics, this building no longer meets the minimum requirements to be discussed in this thread. You can continue following it at WSTB or start a thread in SSP's regional forum.

The windows with the 1940s store graphics are gone:

More Aerospace Jobs:
Carolina Precision is hiring 25 people and moving to a larger space. If you're looking for a job in the aerospace industry, be sure to contact them.

Progress update for the university's new downtown medical school. A worker died at the site last week. Sad news like this, is a reminder of how dangerous construction work is.

Credit: Fox 8

http://i.imgur.com/sPVgSqv.jpg
Credit: Walt Unks / JournalNow

Credit: WXII 12

Credit: Walt Unks/ JournalNow

Keranetics Expansion:
Downtown-based regenerative medicine company Keranetics is quadrupling in size and received a grant to help develop a new pain medicine targeting combat burns.

Downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District is home to the Armed Forces Institute for Regenerative Medicine.

Does anyone have an update on this project? It's moving very slow and no one has any news on it. In photographs, it appears as if work has stopped?

Credit: Dominic Gray

Underdog Records Expansion:
I try not to post on construction of the restaurants and retail businesses. However, I do like to share any Kickstarter campaigns they may have. This allows you to become a part of what is happening downtown. Underdog Records has plans to double the size of their store (which sells records and used stereo systems/turntables), offer beer, host industry experts, host baseball nights, and install the PA equipment needed to host concerts. If you would like to be a part of this expansion, you can donate to their Kickstarter campaign. They are already over halfway to their goal.

To donate, click this link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-b-side-lounge

Technology Infrastructure:

AT&T Gigabit Network:
Apartment developers downtown are saying gigabit internet is actually helping them lease units, with many potential renters asking about it on their apartment tours. AT&T said they will continue to expand gigabit internet in the city throughout 2015 and beyond. Right now, all of the condos/apartments and offices downtown have gigabit internet available to them. Yes, right now! Contact AT&T to sign-up. AT&T continues to put a lot of fiber in the ground in Winston-Salem. They are actively building.

Did you know: The Wall Street Journal reports that gigabit fiber-optic connections can add almost $5,500 to the value of a $175,000 home!

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway:
The city will soon give the federal money to WFIQ's development team to build the second phase of their grade separated bicycle super highway. This is a north-south bike path and pedestrians will be allowed to use it. The $3.8 million in Federal Highway Administration money can only be granted to the city. A private developer can't apply for this grant, so the city applied for it and will give it to the private development team. The federal grant requires a 20% match (nearly $1 million), which WFIQ's private development team will provide. No city money is involved. WFIQ's development team will design and build the project in downtown's IQ District and will be responsible for maintenance. This will connect the elevated rail line to several existing bike trails to improve bicycle commuting. They will also create an asphalt bike and walking path along the Bath Waterway (downtown's waterfront trail). This will make development sites more attractive to tenants for BioMed Realty's $750 million next phase.

Off Subject: Large Protest
This will likely appear on the national news? Over 6,000 people on multiple downtown Winston-Salem streets and parks, angry over changes Republicans have made since taking control of the state government in 2010. WOW!

Credit: Colin Holtz

Credit: Heni

Credit: Rodney Coleman

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 5:41 AM
Fourth and Main

O'Hanlon's Building (1915): Development Opportunity!
Are you a developer interested in Winston-Salem? Do you know a developer interested in Winston-Salem? The 100 year old O'Hanlon's Building is now for sale at around $2.495 million. I think the elevators were replaced or renovated earlier this year and the building may have had other work completed on it? It's a great building for apartments. The ground floor is currently leased by retail/restaurant tenants. The upper floors had office tenants, but I'm guessing they were pushed out to sell the building? It is on the National Register of Historic Places. It's located at Fourth Street and Liberty Street, in Restaurant Row, near the under construction National Olympic Cycling Center. Just as we talked about earlier, this appears to be the next big street for downtown and this building is also part of the selling and renovating happening there. Please remove the 1970s windows and restore it to the original appearance, if possible.

If Interested: (336) 724-1715 or nick@ltmcommercial.com / ben@ltmcommercial.com

Credit: Jeff Skidmore

Credit: LTM Commercial

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:22 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
This week, we learn who won the battle among developers for 500 W. 5th, hear about a new building to watch for, and add a brewery and a temple or two to our list of projects to follow.

Wise Man Brewing:
Wise Man Brewing will open their new brewery and tap room in June 2016 in the historic former Angelo Bros. Building, in downtown Winston-Salem. It's beside the Ziggy's live music venue. "The Angelo Bros. building gives us everything we wanted. A 90-year-old brick building in a vibrant downtown location, plenty of room for production, a large tap room, and tons of outdoor seating. We believe Wise Man customers will enjoy the open floor plan accommodating both our brewery and taproom, along with plenty of outdoor space for a beer garden, food trucks, and special events.” The taproom will include "a very large bar with plenty of seating both inside and out with a rustic urban vibe" along with a small stage for live music. Wise Man Brewing will distribute their beers regionally, so look for them in your area! We will follow this project, so look for updates!

Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Angelo Brothers operated from 1917-2008. I really don't have much information on the building's history to make a large post on it. It's good to see a brewery renovating this vacant building.
Credit: Lauren Carroll / JournalNow

500 West Fifth Street:
Grubb Properties is in the process of buying this vacant single-tenant 21-storey Class B office building. It will be completely renovated to multi-tenant Class A office space and aggressively leased. According to Grubb, this building “has the best view in the state of North Carolina." This is not an adaptive reuse project, since it will remain office space. If you need 340,000 square feet or less of office space, with a wall of windows facing the Sauratown Mountains, contact Grubb Properties about this building. It does appear as if the demand for Class A office space by research & technology companies in downtown Winston-Salem has reached the point where developers are now updating older Class B office buildings to Class A office space, instead of renovating them to apartments. Several developers bid on this property. I do expect Grubb Properties to partner with someone, like maybe Rubenstein Partners, for this project?

Credit: Fred T.

This building was built in 1980 as the headquarters for Integon Life Insurance Corporation; the largest insurance company in North Carolina at that time. California-based architectural firm Welton Becket designed it in 1977 as the first integrated building and an early example of "Green" design, to reduce energy usage.

Credit: Noah Williams

Winston-Salem Hindu Temple:
The land for a new Hindu Temple is selected and they have also selected a general contractor (Aher Builders). The architect will be from India. Temples must meet certain design standards. Construction could begin later this year. Currently, local Hindus are meeting at the site regularly, participating in various ceremonies to purify the land. Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines participated in a tree planting ceremony at the site last month. This will be the Hindu Temple for the entire 12-county Triad region.

501 West Fourth Street:
Grubb Properties is in the process of buying the site to develop it. This developer is assembling a large collection of properties along the proposed streetcar line to develop. According to rumors, this could be a tall residential building. However, we don't have any renderings or details from the developer at this time to know exactly what is planned.

Enjoy this view while you can... it could soon be blocked by a new building!

credit: Jesse DeForest

Fourth & Green - Apartments and Retail:
This project could be built with money from outside the United States. The developer hasn't identified the investors or what countries they are from.

Repreve Expansion:
Repreve will build an 85,000 square foot expansion, with green features such as building materials made of recycled content, low-flow fixtures to reduce water usage, and energy-efficient lighting. This expansion will result in new jobs as well.

Masonic Temple:
Our first update on this construction project. The cornerstone from an older Masonic Temple, that was Winston-Salem's tallest office building in 1906, will be placed at the back entrance. So the next time you attend an event there, take the back entrance and look for it! The steel is up and workers are building the interior walls. This building will have high quality finishes, including porcelain tile flooring throughout. It will be a state-of-the-art facility. George Kalamaras said “There’s not going to be anything like it in the state." Stimpson Construction is the general contractor, Peterson-Gordon Architects is the architect.

1906 Cornerstone (surviving part of city's tallest skyscraper from 1906-1911)
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=620
Credit: Bruce Chapman / JournalNow

Credit: Bruce Chapman / JournalNow

Reportory Expands:
Winston-Salem-based tech company Reportory is expanding, but I don't have many details at this time.

Central Library:
Construction documents are completed and commissioners will vote next week to award the demolition and abatement contracts. Demolition begins August 1 and construction could begin August 26. Workers will demolish the historic Streamline Moderne structure and remove the exterior concrete panels from the 1979 addition and gut the 1979 addition to the frame. The 1979 frame will be reused as part of the new library. The library will reopen in Summer 2017.

Credit: Ratio Architects / JournalNow

Urban Mez:
One of my favorite photographers, with his work shown on this thread many times, has a photography show in downtown's Arts District. This is worth seeing! His work is on display at Center City Frame Gallery, at 625 North Trade. If you see him there, be sure to talk with him. He knows downtown and its buildings. He also sells photographs, so if you would like a big photograph for your wall, be sure to ask. Without the photographers, reporters, and researchers, who share the work seen in this thread, these updates wouldn't be possible.

Time Warner Cable Responds to AT&T:
To compete with AT&T's new gigabit internet service, Time Warner Cable will upgrade their speeds in Winston-Salem at no cost. This upgrade should be completed by January.

Gigabit Community:
Wake Forest University is working to identify opportunities involving software-defined networking and data analytics, created by Winston-Salem's next-generation broadband (gigabit speed internet). Sectors targeted for services include: health and wellness, education, smart homes, municipal services, public safety, transportation, advanced manufacturing, arts and culture, smart grids, and medicine. The overarching goal is leveraging ultra-high speed Internet and other technologies to bolster economic development, workforce training, and technology innovation. AT&T's Venessa Harrison said “Through collaboration, research and a shared desire to introduce exciting technologies, the potential is endless.”

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 5:17 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

757 North Apartments:
This is proposed for the north end of downtown's IQ District. A great update from TwinCity @ WSTB!

Credit: Neighboring Concepts

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
I have now confirmed through Hilton Worldwide: The new hotel proposed at Third and Cherry streets will be called Hampton Inn & Suites. I will use the name "Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites" when posting updates. I may have also found a rendering, but I want to be 100% sure it is the rendering for this hotel, before posting.

Window installation and fireproofing at Wake Forest University's downtown medical school.

Credit: Eric Price II

An update from rmhpmi at WSTB:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB

Wake Forest University Medical Center:
This hospital is ranked as second best in North Carolina and the best hospital in the Triad according to U.S. News & World Report. We currently have a construction project or two from their Hawthorne Hill complex on our construction list.

Cloverdale Redevelopment:
This $50 million project will replace a massive 1940s apartment development, built to create housing for soldiers returning home from World War II. The 1940s apartments are in rough shape and the owner has decided to replace them with a new mixed-use development. According to TwinCity @ WSTB, this new development will have 342 apartments and 75,000 square feet of office and retail space. This is located in the historic Ardmore Neighborhood, near the university medical center, and will become a walkable retail/restaurant hub for this city neighborhood.

Credit: Stimmel Associates

National Center for Design Innovation:
When the CDI opens this fall in downtown's IQ District, it will focus on the following goals: Cultivating Future Innovators (life-long learning); Prototype Design Center, Human Centered Design Research to look at the interaction of technology and how we live, work, and play; and CDILaunch which will be entrepreneurial programs, such as workshops and mentoring, design lab facility access, and maybe an incubator.

The Glade at West End: Built!
An update from the architect! We didn't see many updates on this project before it was completed. It looks good! This was an adaptive reuse of a former 3-storey YWCA into luxury condos. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Credit: William M. Marion

Credit: William M. Marion

Forsyth County Courthouse
We should know if this project will move forward by the end of this year.

1766 Builders' / Potter's House:
I love to share any archeological or renovation work in Winston-Salem's oldest colonial districts. As many of you know, there are archeological research sites around Winston-Salem and an archeology research center and office located in the old Coca Cola Building. The connection of this building to Winston-Salem's construction past makes it very interesting for this thread. This structure, built in January 1766, is where construction workers in the city lived during the city's early years. This house would become the Potter's House in 1834 and was dismantled in 1907. From what I've heard, it was in rough shape. Graduate students from several universities have found glass, ceramics, nails, an old medicine bottle, the location of the fireplace, and tile shingles. They are working to locate the corners of the house. The fireplace is interesting. It was 7 feet long and made of brick. It was removed from the structure sometime between October 30, 1857 and the 1880s. Next year, for the 250th anniversary of the structure's construction, a historic monument will be built on the site.

Vine Street Conference Center: Built!
I love the spaces built for Winston-Salem's research and technology companies in downtown's IQ District! This is one of the more interesting futuristic designs by Winston-Salem-based architecture firm STITCH Design Shop and developer BioMed Realty.

455@Vine Speculative Office Building:
Still waiting for the name of the tenant leasing 100% of this space in downtown's IQ District? I have confirmed it will be something university related. It is rumored to be Virginia Tech's Engineering School and dorm rooms for Virginia Tech students taking classes in downtown Winston-Salem.

Credit: Marko Rivas

The unusual construction elevator in action! Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants is now reporting the hotel will open in early 2016. It will have 113 luxury apartments with Kimpton hotel amenities.

McHugh Sisters Flats:
Salem College's new downtown residence hall, with its awesome view of the 34-storey Wells Fargo Center. The building will be completed and hold a grand opening on August 23, 2015, at 3:00 p.m.,. Wow! less than four weeks away from completion!

It's the brick building behind the trees:

Credit: gatorgirl4325

The Pepper Mill Coffee Shop is closing earlier every evening, so construction workers can complete work on the second floor. I recently did a little digging on the Pepper Building and U.S. Development. It appears as if U.S. Development isn't around anymore? This would explain why work is moving so slowly. Yes, there are still construction workers inside. I'm guessing the building owner is renovating it without U.S. Development? See WSTB for more details on this breaking news.

Did you know: The Pepper Building's first floor is 20 feet tall and the other floors are 14 feet tall. I don't know how tall the mechanical penthouse is?

A great view of the building's back side:

Credit: Chase

Bailey Power Plant Entertainment Center:
We can now add EV Charging to the Bailey Power Plant project. It's great to see so many construction projects downtown adding EV Charging. OpConnect now has three charging locations in the Winston-Salem Metro Area. It appears as if the Winston-Salem area and Washington D.C., area are their only east coast locations? They have several locations along the west coast.

Transportation Infrastructure:

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
When the building is stabilized, the city will apply for a federal grant to pay for the renovation.

Credit: Brett Lin

Off Subject! - Interesting photograph:
Winston-Salem actually has pole vaulting in the streets every July, with an event called StreetVault.

2012 Olympian Becky Holliday Pole Vaulting in Downtown Winston-Salem:

Credit: NCRunners

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:25 AM

I'm loving this increase in high density housing around WFBMC. This with a mix of higher end retail and multi story office does give the feeling of a true midtown.

And this new influx of what I consider anchors for downtown is definitely notable. Burger Batch on 5th, Miami's cafe on Broad, Camel City BBQ on Liberty, Wise Man Brewing on Main, legendary Pulliams on Trade, The Toastery in the Arts District.

I'm liking the new version of 757 North as well.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 5:08 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Broad Branch Distillery:
After being in contact with industry experts, such as Sherman Owen, Nancy Fraley, and Frank Williams, Broad Branch is ready to sell it's first product. Nightlab 1.0 uses hops, along with the traditional corn, malted barley, rye and sugar. John Fragakis said "The processes are crude and ancient, but the nuances are hard to believe." The mash cooker and still were custom designed designed by famed Appalachian distiller Frank Williams and manufactured in Portland by Global Stainless Systems. This is designed to be a large distilling operation. It will use non-GMO corn and rye from Western N.C., artesian well water from from the Sauratown Mountains area of Winston-Salem, and sugar from the Lula Sugar Factory in Louisiana. Broad Branch has rum aging and is preparing for their first batches of bourbon. This will be a farm-to-glass distillery. Fragakis said "We just felt we definitely wanted to be part of what's going on downtown. We wanted to be part of an urban setting."

Credit: Covington - TBJ / Business Journal

WSSU - Best HBCU in N.C.:
Winston-Salem State University is among the top five best Historically Black Colleges and Universities, according to College Choice. Winston-Salem State is also ranked as the best HBCU in North Carolina.

WSPD South District Station:
This is now under construction! City Council awarded H.M. Kern the contract to renovate the historic 1834 Nissen Wagon Works building into a police station for the 200 District. It will have a public space, offices, and a roll call room. It should be completed in Spring 2016. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Credit: Wake Forest University Library

The Variable Wins Advertising Age Award:
The Variable, which is moving to downtown's IQ District, won Advertising Age's Silver Award for Southeast Small Agency of the Year. This is the company that makes the Johnsonville Brats ads, along with many others. I've tried to find construction photographs of their new headquarters; which is an adaptive reuse of an old one-storey warehouse, built in 1916, into a two-storey office building. However, no one is sharing any progress updates. Construction should be completed next month. There are several advertising firms moving into the IQ District, including two nationally known firms. It's becoming the southeast's version of the old Madison Avenue.

Mullen Advertising Agency:
Continuing with the theme... This is our first update on this project! Yes, this is a block away from the project above.

Credit: Jordan Rowell

Grubb Properties / 641 West Fourth Street?
Looking toward Grubb Property's site. What will we see on this site? According to the rumors, it will be something tall. We still haven't seen an official announcement, though.

Credit: TowniesWS

Alta Vista Skate Park:
Last month, City Council awarded a contract to Creative Design and Construction Inc., to create the concrete slab, sidewalks, fencing, and a bike rack. A second phase will add equipment from American Ramp and restrooms. The park will be constructed for all skill levels and will be free (no admission). The signature attraction will be a pump-track that will wind in a 120-foot circuit with banks and humps to challenge the skateboarders. “You roll over a series of rollers and berms to propel yourself forward,” said Tim Babcock with American Ramp Co.,. Construction will be completed in the fall.

Trade Street Market:
The adaptive reuse project at Sixth, Liberty, and Trade streets (in the downtown Arts District) is called Trade Street Market. This will become an arcade, created from two formerly vacant historic buildings. One of the buildings is a multi-storey Neo-Gothic structure from 1923. Since this is a large project, we can add it to our list and follow it. While most downtown projects are luxury, this should be a more affordable place to eat and shop for the artists living and working in downtown's Arts District neighborhood. Tenants signed include a cigar store, a barber shop, a Mexican buffet restaurant, a clothing store, a UPS Store, Pulliam's hot dogs, an ice cream shop, and a Thai buffet restaurant. I've heard the alley beside the project will be used for outdoor dining. It's projects like this that add to the creative and fun feel of the district.

Since we have seen the exterior on a previous post, why don't we look at the basement!

Original Furnace:
Credit: Andrew Dye / JournalNow

Fallout Shelter:

HVAC Installation from last week.

McHugh Sisters Flats:
An update from DWSP on Salem College's new downtown residence hall.

Credit: Jason Thiel

This building was designed to look similar to the Victorian Second Empire rowhouses in the neighborhood.

It looks great with the neighboring Second Empire rowhouses on the left side of this photograph:

Credit: Jason Thiel

City of Winston-Salem Fiber Optic Network:
The City of Winston-Salem has decided to install a stand-alone fiber optic network. City Council approved buying the equipment and will complete this project later this year. NWN will supply the equipment and Performance Cabling Technologies will install it. The city fiber optic cables will piggyback with the fiber optic cables the state is installing for a massive city-wide transit, emergency services, and traffic management project in the city. This is separate from the AT&T Gigabit Network and the North State Gigabit Network. I think another company has fiber in Winston-Salem and is preparing to also compete with AT&T and North State for gigabit speed internet customers, too? With all of the competition in Winston-Salem, I expect gigabit speed internet to become very affordable in the near future. It's great to be a "tech city."

Alternative Transportation Infrastructure:

East-West Expressway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
We have renderings for the bicycle commuter path from the North Carolina Department of Transportation. This project includes everything from tunnels to bridges to a flyover ramp! Cyclists in Winston-Salem are saying this will give them equality with cars. Due to the path exiting to sidewalks in some locations, they must open the bicycle commuter path to pedestrians, but it is being designed for bicycle commuting. You can also see the bicycle flyover ramp. I would love to try that! I think this is also a 1.1 mile (1.8 kilometer) segment U.S. Bicycle Route 80?

Read about U.S. Bicycle Route System: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...e_Route_System

View of the Bicycle Commuter Lane from driver's point-of-view: (the lane is on the right with the railing)

Credit: NC DOT

The view from the bike & pedestrian lane:

A view of the Flyover Ramp and Proposed Bridge (the blue bridge is not the final design - see final design in next image):

The blue bridge is just a place holder generic image. This is the actual bridge proposed with the bicycle flyover ramp:

That is likely the best image I've seen of Walter Hood's Land Bridge for bicycles.

Big Announcement This Week:

National Black Theatre Festival:
The National Black Theatre Festival is happening in downtown Winston-Salem right now! If you're in Winston-Salem this week, be sure to buy tickets and see some of the world's best artists/performers. This week, the NBTF will officially announce their Hall of Fame project in downtown Winston-Salem. It appears as if it will be built near the Stevens Center? We could have all of the details on this project on our next update! You can see part of the exhibits that will be in the Hall of Fame by visiting the New Winston Museum.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:41 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:55 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

National Black Theatre Hall of Fame and Museum:
Downtown is about to gain another major attraction. The N.C. Black Repertory Company, the Arts Council of Winston-Salem & Forsyth County, and UNC School of the Arts have joined forces to create the National Black Theatre Hall of Fame and Museum. The location appears to be the former Journal & Sentinel Building (1926 Independence Hall Building) between the historic Stevens Center for the Performing Arts and Benton Convention Center. They are still in talks to buy the building from a large regional developer. A $15 million fundraiser will begin soon, as part of the project. The National Black Theatre Festival believes this museum will become a major tourism attraction for downtown Winston-Salem and will draw people to attend a biennial induction ceremony, which will likely be televised nationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Morgan
The National Black Theatre Hall of Fame and Museum will preserve the contributions of and pay tribute to the playwrights, directors, producers, artists and actors of black theater. It will be the hallowed ground where the history of black theater is preserved. Where we will have the opportunity to cherish their art and respect the artist. It will be the place where truth is told.
The proposed location for the National Black Theatre Hall of Fame and Museum:

We have more information about this project. Yes, the development team has changed, but overall it's still many of the same people. Since the developer and his partners are seeking city financing, they are required to add a small percentage of affordable units and also required to provide details on their project.

Developer: Monarch Capital Ventures / Mike Coe
General Contractor: McCrory Construction
Investor: Tom Skinner
City Financing: $1.6 million low interest loan
Number of Apartments: 54
Apartment Size: 310 to 786 square feet
Construction Cost $8,075,605

Yes, they do have federal historic tax credits, but state historic tax credits weren't listed as a funding source. We have to wait until September for any additional details on this project. At least now we know why work on this project slowed-down over the past two or three months.

With the rapidly increasing cost of housing in Winston-Salem, the city does have a requirement to add a small amount of "affordable housing" for every developer who seeks city taxpayer dollars for their project. It's not much, but it does help to keep Winston-Salem affordable for young college graduates and people working in the retail/restaurant/entertainment venues downtown. The requirement expires in 15 years.

Last chance to break into the Pepper Building for urban exploring or ...uh... rooftop yoga?... before construction begins.

Credit: Kai Ashtanga https://instagram.com/becomingorganic

Cloverdale Redevelopment:
Within the past year, affordability of housing has become a top issue. The growth of tech jobs over the past few years has created a luxury apartment boom. It's now reaching the point where older and more affordable apartments are being demolished for larger luxury developments. Opposition to this project is growing from those who view Ardmore Terrace as among the last affordable apartments in the city, a great community, and as a beautiful historic apartment complex. Councilman Dan Besse, who lives in these historic apartments, will hold a public meeting on August 24 to discuss the project. He is deeply concerned about the loss of these historic buildings and affordable housing. Besse said he wants to put together a proposal for the owners that would encourage historic preservation and housing affordability. He is working with city staffers to find money that could go toward that effort. The developers have said they will address this issue. What details do we have? It appears as if Carolina Investment Properties is involved! If they are involved, it should be a nice development. They are working on the massive Ralph Lauren project. This should be an interesting project to follow.

Semans Arts Library - Louis Moyse Archives:
The Semans Arts Library in Winston-Salem was given the archives of famous French flute player, pianist, and composer Louis Moyse. The archives will include his original compositions, editions, and arrangements of music for flute and chamber ensembles, as well as recordings, photos, letters, and other memorabilia. This is a great addition to the library's amazing collection. The Semans Arts Library's grand opening is scheduled for this weekend (August 14, 2015 at 9 a.m.).

Credit: Charles Hildebrandt

Home Prices Increasing Again:
Winston-Salem home prices are continuing their upward climb, with Winston-Salem having the second highest home price increase in the state. According to CoreLogic, there is no apparent end in sight for home price increases.

Chatham Manufacturing Adaptive Reuse:
An update from the developer on this apartment and office space renovation project at Union Carbide's former Chatham Works.

Credit: Belmont Sayre

Top Shelf Expansion:
The downtown Winston-Salem office of media conglomerate William Morris Endeavor Entertainment has purchased Top Shelf. This is expected to lead to more jobs in downtown Winston-Salem, as the newly puchased company adds clients.

This is a rare 3-in1 aerial update, showing the Wake Forest University downtown medical school, the 455@Vine speculative office building, and the Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Superhighway Project. Wake Forest University's downtown medical school will have an awesome skylight! Look at how large it is!

Credit: Jared Payne

Winston-Salem Open Tennis Facility:
I didn't know this was under construction! Fans can enjoy new seating facilities on Court Four this year, with more seating set to start construction soon on the other side courts and construction is set to start soon on a new 4,500 seat main stadium. The main stadium for the Emirates Airline US Open Series event is designed to also host concerts and other events. Don't forget to watch the internationally televised USTA Winston-Salem Open on August 22-29 to see the completed construction projects. I've watched it on TV and they do show great skyline views. If you want to attend, tickets are currently available.

For those who are not familiar with Winston-Salem, the city loves Sport Cycling, Tennis, and Soccer and attracts large crowds to these events. Yes, very unusual for a southeast U.S., city. The city's love of tennis dates back around 100 years ago, when the biggest tennis stars would play in front of large crowds at Hanes Park.

Winston-Salem Region VA Hospital:
Employees from the two existing Winston-Salem VA facilities should move into the new building in February and could begin outpatient services in the new building in early 2016. The nearly 400,000 square foot building will also have areas to help patients and their families relax, such as open areas with seating and two outdoor rooftop gardens with trees and other plantings. They should begin hiring for over 500 new jobs, soon.

It's great to finally have an update on this project!

This is a dialysis area:

An operating room:

Rooftop Garden:

Off Subject - Interesting Photograph:
A nice photograph of Winston-Salem's historic West End Neighborhood.

Credit: Teri

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 5:24 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
This update features several downtown job creation announcements. If you're looking for a job, there are companies hiring in downtown Winston-Salem.

Kailo Regional Headquarters:
I didn't know about this project! Cedar Falls-based healthcare technology company Kailo has signed a lease in the 30 storey Winston Tower skyscraper for their regional headquarters. The company held a grand opening for the new regional headquarters last week. They are already considering Winston-Salem for a major expansion that could happen later this year or early next year.

Since downtown's IQ District is fully leased, research and technology companies frequently lease space in Winston-Salem's skyscrapers. Winston Tower is nearly all venture capital, research, and technology companies. I think Liberty Plaza is actually owned by a software company?

Wells Fargo Center:
Wells Fargo has leased an additional 60,000 square feet in the Wells Fargo Center. The 34-storey domed skyscraper, designed by Cesar Pelli, is now 100% fully leased. Connecting with the previous topic, two life science tenants previously occupied the space.

The blimp (advertising a movie) has flown over downtown for the past few days:

Credit: anniedtm

Semans Arts Library: Built!
I was surprised none of the news sources covered the grand opening of this project. Be sure to visit this awesome resource the next time you're in Winston-Salem!

Credit: Ryan LeBar

BB&T Buys National Penn Bancshares:
Winston-Salem-based BB&T is now a top 4 bank in Pennsylvania, with the purchase of National Penn of Allentown. BB&T will gain around $10 billion in assets and around $7 billion in deposits. This deal increases BB&T's assets to around $201 billion. BB&T is currently the 8th largest U.S. bank by assets, as of June 30. I think their last purchase in Pennsylvania led to workers relocating to Winston-Salem and new hiring in Winston-Salem. Maybe this purchase will bring more jobs to downtown?

West Salem Townhomes:
Do you remember the proposal to build more townhomes in West Salem, from last summer? They are almost completed. Nothing really exciting. Just good infill in an area filled with a large number of existing townhomes and factory lofts. I think the other "older" townhomes in West Salem look better than these.

Credit: Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices

Old Vineyard Expansion:
This 60 bed, 43,000 square foot, expansion is now ready to move forward. It is expected to create 67 new healthcare jobs in Winston-Salem.

Central Library:
Abatement and demolition has started on this project. The big demolition work will happen in two weeks. A crane will also remove the precast concrete panels from the 1979 wing.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=750

Community Innovation Lab:
New York City-based EmcArts has selected Winston-Salem and Providence, R.I., as pilot cities for the Community Innovation Labs program. Winston-Salem and Providence were selected after a nationwide search involving 92 inquiries from 71 cities.

An update on the 100% leased speculative office building. Still, no word on the tenant.

Credit: Chad Leiser

Credit: Leanne Wieland

That crane would distract me from the concert.

DMP Leasing Downtown:
Engineering firm DMP Associates has signed a lease and is opening an office in downtown Winston-Salem, near the ballpark. The company has a large number of projects in the downtown Winston-Salem area and this office will allow the firm to become a part of the Winston-Salem community.

A look at window installation and the big crane at Wake Forest University's downtown medical school.

Credit: WFIQ

Awesome Panorama! (I just wish it was larger)

Credit: Phuzz Records (a Winston-Salem-based record label)

Credit: Ashlie Johnson

Credit: Wake Forest Law School

New Resources Leases 722 North Liberty:
Milwaukee-based tech company, New Resources, has leased the historic 1926 building at 722 North Liberty Street for their East Coast Regional Headquarters.

Kimpton is now hiring for this hotel. It could open in January 2016, with a bar, meeting space, and a destination restaurant.

What are the small papers in the windows?

Credit: Michelle Spangler Torres

Clinical Ink in Top Tier of Inc. 5000 List:
Medical technology company Clinical Ink, with their headquarters in downtown's IQ District, is ranked 57th in the nation in growth on Inc. 5000's list of the nation's fastest growing companies. Clinical Ink grew by 4,614% and added nearly 100 new employees in the past year. You may remember reading about their major expansion into new office space in downtown's IQ District and, within a few months, discussion turned to how they are outgrowing that space in less than a year! It appears as if all of these research and technology companies are extremely fast growing.

I do expect this company to sign a bigger lease soon. It is worth noting: There is very little available Class A space in downtown, due to the tech boom. Construction is currently underway on around 1 million square feet of Class A space in downtown Winston-Salem and it is all 100% leased! Another 920,000 square feet of Class A office space is very close to starting construction in downtown Winston-Salem. We could see 300,000 square feet of Class A office space begin construction downtown in possibly two months from now?

Off-Subject - Interesting Photographs:
A great way to introduce first time viewers of this thread to Winston-Salem. It's a very beautiful historic city.

This is actually a high school from 1923, designed by a famous architect:

Credit: Holly Stack

The 1922 Realty Building on the left and 1926 Nissen Apartments on the right:

Credit: Robert Lopez

Next week, construction will be completed on Salem College's new downtown residence hall! So, be sure to visit this thread again for next week's update.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 5:46 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

McHugh Sisters Flats: Built!
Salem College's new downtown residence hall is now completed! Each flat has a full kitchen with stainless steel appliances and living area, two bedrooms with walk-in closets, and two bathrooms. A great room, porches, and patios offer common areas that will foster collaboration among the residents. Each suite has a bank of windows, providing students with natural light and expansive views of the city and downtown skyline. Built in eight and one-half months, it was completed two months ahead of schedule to open on the college's move-in day. Repurposed architectural elements from the 1914 Starbuck House connect the Flats to the history of its site. Four fireplace surrounds and mantels salvaged from the Starbuck House now grace the lobby, the great room, and the hallways of the new building. Smaller elements, including doorknobs and mailboxes, have become decorative art pieces in the residence, and a five-panel door has been converted to a conference table. The McHugh Sisters Flats were designed to fit in with the surrounding architecture. It has a mansard roof that ties in with a similar Second Empire mansard roof on the historic rowhouses across the street. Light fixtures in one of the common areas are a contemporary twist on the Moravian star. Sophomore Mallory Long said, "it will be nice to be so close to downtown.”

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1025
Credit: Lauren Carroll / JournalNow

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Credit: Salem College

We are going-up in this, to see the new building from a blimp:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...size=620%2C364

MetLife Blimp View: You can see it at the top-left of the photograph.
http://i.imgur.com/ZkcBT18.jpg

It was fun following this beautiful project. I expect it to win several awards! It reminds me of the Second Empire Jenkins Brothers Shoe Factory, on the 600 block of West Fourth Street, built in the late 1800s. It was converted to a hotel (Greystone) in 1962, but unfortunately it was demolished in the 1990s. This is a great time to be at Salem College. The last image posted on this project should be the most awesome, so I'm posting a time-lapse video.

Video Link

Continue the construction at Salem College by donating to Salem’s Women of Purpose campaign. They are over halfway to their goal. You can donate to start construction on their Science & Mathematics Campus on the southern end of downtown's IQ District.

An update on Wake Forest University's new downtown medical school, located in the IQ District.

That is the nicest temporary construction fence I've seen anywhere!

Brookstown District @ BB&T Ballpark:
We haven't heard anything on this over 1 million square foot downtown project in a while. It's good to have an update. We are just weeks away from an announcement from the city on buying the decks. Without the decks, the project can't move forward! The mayor and city want the project to pay for itself, so no city tax dollars are required. As soon as both the city and county agree on the deck purchase plan, construction could begin in 90 days and the project would be completed in 2017. Brand Morgan said his company is in negotiation with tenants right now for the 300,000 square feet of office space. Could this office space also be 100% leased before it's completed? WOW! There’s been a large amount of interest in the office and retail space. The project is expected to create jobs and add amenities, such as a 30,000 square foot downtown grocery store, 250 hotel rooms, and 300,000 square feet of retail space. All of that in addition to the nearly 600 luxury apartments.

You Can Own a Yadkin Valley Vineyard:
Westbend Vineyards & Brewhouse will be auctioned this Friday. The vineyard opened in 1988 and has won many awards for its wines and beers. The house on the property was built in 1850. It's located in Forsyth County, just outside the Winston-Salem city limits. The name is from a bend in the nearby Yadkin River. With event spaces and multiple buildings, I'm guessing this will cost millions? The auction house said there is a lot of interest in the property, since it is a ready-to-go operation.

Stevens Center Tower:
I've seen evidence that someone (maybe a developer?) is possibly looking around this tower? The tenants in the tower are moving-out or preparing to move-out. This is part of a plan to renovate and expand the old silent movie theatre. I've heard this expansion could include someone building apartments or a hotel in the tower? Does anyone know if any developers are looking around it or if this deal to convert the tower to another use is happening? When it opened in 1928, it had 99 apartments.

Credit: hywy2

Winston-Salem Open Tennis Facility:
The changes we haven't talked about this year include a craft beer bar overlooking the practice courts and an expanded VIP Courtside Club. I've already posted on seating construction. I'm guessing they are building this in multiple phases? If you can't attend, The Winston-Salem Open will be televised in over 100 countries. All of the top players are from outside the United States, so expect a large international TV audience. Sadly, David Goffin of Belgium withdrew last week. If you do buy tickets and attend, look for the ESPN GameDay Desk later this week.

Credit: Alexandra Kosman

Credit: DWSP

Most Historic Southern Bars Worth Traveling For:
It's a little off-subject, but I'll post it anyway... Winston-Salem's Salem Tavern is ranked 9th on the list of the 16 Most Historic Southern Bars Worth Traveling For. Salem Tavern was actually built in 1775 and was lost to a fire. It was rebuilt of brick in 1784. The foundation of the building is from the 1775 building. The yellow building, next door (pictured below), is an annex built around 200+ years ago. The 1784 brick building is seen in the background of the photograph below. George Washington is the tavern's most famous visitor. He stayed in the hotel in the brick building in 1791. His room was restored to exactly the way it looked on his visit. The article said Salem Tavern "boasts craft and draft beers, wine, mixed alcoholic beverages, and mouthwatering dishes inspired by the Moravian cuisine of native Moravia families." Did you know: The founders of Winston-Salem actually built their brewery first, before building the city. http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/The...velingFor.html

Credit: Tiger Tales

Piedmont Triad Regional Development Corporation:
The Piedmont Triad Regional Development Corporation, headquartered in a new building near Winston-Salem's Union Cross Business Park, was selected by federal regulators as the economic development gatekeeper for the entire 12-county Triad region. The designation is from the U.S. Economic Development Administration and will offer more financing opportunities. It also includes financial support for the organization. Dudley Watts, Forsyth County’s manager, said the federal government looks to these groups to be a funding gatekeeper for regional projects. “It’s important. Will it directly impact Winston-Salem and Forsyth County? That sort of remains to be seen, but it gives you a huge advantage.” I'm guessing this is the "Economic Development District" they were seeking in a post made in this thread last year?

Sutton Center:
I'm guessing the Sutton Center is new to this thread and I highlighted it as a new project. It will be completed in December and will have two basketball courts and space for social events.

Credit: Betsy Chapman

McCreary Field House:
We haven't had an update on the McCreary Field House in months! It was paid for by the CEO of Vacations to Go and should be finished soon. You know you want to see both the Sutton Center and McCreary Field House from the blimp!

View from MetLife Blimp:
http://i.imgur.com/CXEXZxZ.jpg

BB&T Expanding in Ohio:
I need to make a correction, first: One of the latest articles said Winston-Salem-based BB&T currently has $210 billion in assets. The National Penn purchase will bring that number to around $220 billion in assets. BB&T is already hiring people experienced in Basel III, to prepare for the enhanced federal regulatory requirements of a $250 billion in assets and above bank. Though BB&T will still be $30 billion below that level, the bank is preparing "to bust through" the $250 billion in assets mark very soon. The bank wants to be prepared for a large acquisition. And this leads us to Ohio:

Back to Ohio: Those who follow BB&T are saying to expect a purchase soon in Ohio. “It’s a good bet that we’ll see an acquisition or two of similar size and deal structure in BB&T’s Ohio Valley territory, provided Kelly can identify an acquisition candidate similar to the National Penn franchise in that market," according to Tony Plath. BB&T likes to be in the top five, in market-share, in every state they operate in. Reading about the large acquisition and Ohio Valley, do you think Winston-Salem-based BB&T may try to purchase Huntington Bancshares? I guess we will see?

Bailey Power Plant:
I found this in the cover story from this month's issue of Building Design + Construction! The story is on Innovation Districts and covers several cities. It should be interesting to see this biotech office developer transform a huge downtown power plant into an entertainment and restaurant/retail venue. I do want to make a correction to the magazine's article and say Bailey Park isn't finished. Only the north end of the park is finished. The larger southern end is still proposed, with a "temporary" lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Building Design + Construction
(Thomas) Osha observes that a growing number of districts are looking to create a “spiritual center”—an iconic building, public park, creative remake of a historic structure—with spaces and amenities for all tenants and stakeholders, even the surrounding neighborhoods. In Winston-Salem, N.C., the Innovation Quarter is working with Wexford to transform the 1920s Bailey Power Plant, with its iconic 14-story smoke stacks, into a mixed-use retail, co-working, and community facility. “It sits on a park that we just completed, Bailey Park, where we host movies at midnight, daily yoga, and other activities to get innovators out of the buildings,” says Osha. “We’re looking at creative ways to develop innovation districts in such a way that they interdigitate into the environment.”

Credit: Frank Nitti

Clinical Ink:
Winston-Salem-based Clinical Ink was on NPR last week, as one of the east coast's fastest growing tech companies. Very awesome! Again, I think they will lease more space in downtown's IQ District very soon.

Thank you to Comfort Supply Inc., for providing HVAC updates.

Film Production Design Center: Built!
This project, designed by Deborah Berke & Partners, is now officially completed and includes drafting studios, molding & modeling shops and studios, and advanced graphic studios. It is a center for digital design, gaming, animation and visual effects. Since this project didn't have a grand opening, there aren't any photographs. If I find any, within the next month or two, I'll share them at a later time.

A view of the construction on this 100% leased speculative office building, taken from Bailey Park @ East End.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:47 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 5:28 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Central Library:
Removing asbestos and begining demolition. The library is two buildings. One of the buildings was completed in 1979 and the other was completed shortly after World War II. The older building will be completely demolished and they will reuse only the steel frame from the 1979 building. Workers will expand the 1979 steel frame, with new steel to the north, to create the new library. You won't know they reused anything from the site. It will look new. Reusing the steel frame from the 1979 building should help with LEED certification! Less waste in the demolition landfill.

This building will be completely demolished:

Credit: blib660

Another view of the building to be completely demolished:

Part of the building to be completely demolished:

This is the 1979 Building. Workers will demolish everything but the steel frame, which will be reused in the new building.

This auditorium has a 1970s look to it!

1979 Building:

1979 Building:

1979 Building:

Exterior View:

Credit: Melody Caroline

Winston-Salem Open:
The new main stadium will be completed in 2018. Did you know: The Winston-Salem open was attended by people from 30 states and 6 countries. There are only 11 ATP World Tour events in the United States. The Winston-Salem Open's television agreement with ESPN is through 2025.

Credit: Adam Mernit

The winner and runner-up of this year's Winston-Salem Open (yes, those are Moravian Star trophies!):

Credit: Fago White Franklin III

National Center for Design Innovation: Built!
I was surprised there wasn't a big grand opening event for this facility in downtown's IQ District? If photographs appear within the next month or so, I may post a few of them to show the finished project. Sadly, we didn't see many updates on this important research facility.

Credit: National Center for Design Innovation

Wise Man Brewing:
They have started interior demolition on this adaptive reuse project. There is no better way to celebrate the start of work on the new brewery than with a massive outdoor concert beside the new downtown brewery's building. This is Breaking Benjamin in concert. The red brick building is Wise Man Brewing's downtown building.

Credit: Camel City Nightlife

Davie Medical Center:
An expansion (adding 50 beds, additional offices, and 78,220 additional square feet to the hospital) is now under construction. It will be completed in Spring 2017. HKS Architects is the architect.

Credit: WFBMC

Credit: WFBMC

The latest update on the university's new downtown medical school. They are rebuilding the spandrel on the 6th floor and window installation is beginning at the neighoring 455@Vine Speculative Office Building.

The Downward Dog Days of Summer (Huge yoga gathering with construction in the background):

Credit: Holli Keeler

Bailey Power Plant:
From the same massive Dog Days of Summer yoga in the park event. I think this is a regular event in Bailey Park, if you're interested in attending? This is one of the better photographs of Bailey Power Plant. It's very difficult to photograph it without any skyscrapers or other buildings around it.

Credit: Elliott Watlington

Sheetrock Lifted to the 15th Floor:

Credit: Amy Foster

Credit: Steve H.

I was hoping they would make this an outdoor amenity area with a view, but it appears to be all HVAC:

Off-Subject Photographs:
This seems to be a part of Winston-Salem few people on the forums know about, even though it's just three blocks south of the city's tallest building.

Credit: Nicholas Weber

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:31 AM

A Sawtooth Center inspired convention center renovation and a downtown observation pier at the developing Quarry Park highlights bond projects.

journalnow.com

http://wfdd.org/post/rock-quarry-amo...moving-forward

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 5:16 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Convention Center:
The latest rendering for the convention center project. Construction is expected to begin in January 2016. It will take 16 months to expand and renovate the convention center.

Credit: WSCVB

New Craft Brewery at the Fishel Steel Factory:
Larry Folds Sr., is seeking a joint venture partner to start a craft brewery at the former Fishel Steel Factory, in downtown Winston-Salem. (Building Address: 534 North Main Street) I think this building has two floors? The brewery would feature a restaurant and entertainment. It appears as if this large brewery will have an indoor live music stage with a 20 foot (6.1 metres) tall ceiling and will keep some of the equipment on the ceiling used to move the steel, along with the rails in the floor? If you're interested in investing in this project, contact Mr. Folds at (336) 210-6321 He can tell you more about it than I can. He is also open to any ideas the joint venture partner may have. Yes, he is related to alternative rock musician and Winston-Salem native Ben Folds. If you want to be a partner in this project, be prepared to invest in the upfit of the building.

The BOOM at Quarry Park:
The latest addition to plans for this new park is an Observation Platform, built above the lake's 130 foot tall (about 40 metres tall) bluffs. It should provide a beautiful view of the lake, bluffs, and skyline. It's great to see the city making parks from it's many beautiful locations in the city.

Another Advertising Agency in Downtown's IQ District:
MediaHub is the newest tenant in downtown's IQ District. MediaHub is a division of Interpublic Group; one of the big four global advertising companies. Downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District is becoming a major center for the advertising industry.

Ritz Theatre Restoration:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time. Is it still an active project? Could this be our first cancelled project in this thread? The photographs suggest nothing is happening, almost a year later, and I see a "for sale" sign. I really wanted to see this building restored.

Credit: Cinema Treasures

First Phase: Ralph Lauren Complex: Built!
CBRE is reporting, the 843,000 square foot first phase of the 1.22 million square foot Ralph Lauren project is now completed. I really wanted to provide construction updates on this massive project, with 1,115 new jobs, but sadly I could never find any updates. I have only seen a site plan for the project. No renderings. No news outlets covered the building's completion, so we don't have any completion photographs. If a news outlet covers the opening in the next month or two, I may post a few late photographs. Since this project has a planned 377,000 square foot second phase, we may see the Ralph Lauren Complex reappear on our construction list, in the near future?

Wake Forest School of Medicine and 455@Vine Speculative Office Building:
A view of the rooftop skylights, penthouses, and the courtyard between the two buildings.

Credit: Rick Boucher

Davie Medical Center:
Rodgers Builders is the general contractor.

Forsyth Medical Center Expansion:
Forsyth Medical Center has recently completed a major expansion of their sleep center and is preparing for another expansion. The center has doubled the number of beds and doubled the number of employees.

We have a big update on this project.

Possibly the outdoor space for the spa or maybe the restaurant & bar?

Credit: SKA Engineering

Decorative Metal Screens, possibly for the Restaurant & Bar? (Is "M" a clue to the restaurant & bar name?)

http://www.standardandcustom.com/blog

It could be "M" for Main Street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard & Custom
Here are the first samples for one of our latest projects, The Kimpton Hotel in Winston Salem. In collaboration with Creme Design and Strada Architects, we are working diligently to get this project done in the upcoming months. These steel and brass pieces were cut on a water jet. We used a chemical process to give the steel a black patina. The image below will give you an idea of what these screens will look like when they are complete.

http://www.standardandcustom.com/blog

Another Free Bikeshare:
Are you ready for yet another free bike sharing program? Re-Cycle is the latest and it appears as if you only have to pay for the bike if something breaks, you return it late, you lose something, or the bike is lost. Go to Outdoor Pursuits, if you're interested. I also see something from Google you may have to fill-out for longer rentals?

While other cities require paid memberships to use their bike shares, bike sharing is always free in Winston-Salem.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:49 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 5:01 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Pepper Building Micro Apartments & Retail:
Construction has started on Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse on the ground floor of the Pepper Building.

Credit: Mike Coe

Plant 64 Office Space - The Variable Headquarters: Built!
Advertising agency The Variable has completed their new downtown headquarters in the IQ District.

Credit: The Variable

State Historic Tax Credits:
It appears as if the state historic tax credits could return, if the current state budget proposal is passed.

An update on the university's downtown medical school. Workers are reconstructing part of the cornice and finishing the exterior painting. Window installation is underway in the courtyard area. Workers are also installing the corrugated metal cladding and windows on the skybridge.

This image shows a spandrel being reconstructed:

This image shows the completed spandrel and forms for the cornice reconstruction:

Credit: David Norman

Workers installing cladding on skybridge:

Credit: Doug Rice

I wish they would cover these skybridges with highly transparent glass, so people could see the beautiful historic steel skeleton.

Wise Man Brewing:
Jim Spencer Architects is the architect for the new downtown craft brewery.

Camel City BBQ Factory: Built!
It's now completed! They had a soft opening over the weekend and an official opening on Monday. This is a three storey entertainment venue, a beer and wine bar, event space, and a restaurant. It's massive! You'll find every style of barbecue, from brisket, to ribs, to chicken, to pulled pork. All with an industrial/factory theme. It also has outdoor areas with a nice view of the skyline. This 1927 building was used by internationally known glass artist John Kuhn Studios, until recently. Yes, this is where the beautiful glass art, in museums around the world, was made. The building became too valuable, over the past few years, and was sold to the developers of this restaurant. Camel City BBQ Factory owner Steve Doumas said “With this project, we asked, ‘What in the craziest realms is possible?’ Some people start with the most practical option and then see how far they can take it. We start out in the furthest reaches."

Credit: CCBF

Credit: Annie

50 West Fourth Apartments & Retail:
Yes, it's completed, but we now know who the retail/restaurant space tenant is. Novant Health (Novant Forsyth Medical Center) has leased the space for a primary care office. A doctor's office connected to Forsyth Medical Center should be a nice amenity for downtown residents and workers.

Workers are painting the building and installing windows.

Credit: James Thomas Overholser

Credit: John Sherwood

You can see the painting and window installation in the courtyard area:

Credit: Tea Oh Bee Why

Credit: carriegaeun

Brookstown District @ BB&T Ballpark:
The City Finance Committee has approved incentives for the first phase of this project, which will include a grocery store, retail, and luxury apartments. The full City Council will vote on the incentives next Monday. If City Council and the County Commissioners approve the incentives, construction could begin in first quarter 2016.

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:
This will be the only land bridge of its kind in North Carolina and possibly the first urban land bridge in the United States. Look for a meeting in about three weeks, with more details.

Last edited by Matthew; Sep 15, 2015 at 5:13 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations