HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1tyguy View Post
This area isn't "pedestrian friendly"? You've got to be kidding me. I live at 6th and Kenmore (I don't own a vehicle). Both 6th street and 3rd street are MAJOR commercial corridors. If this area isn't walkable, I don't know what is.

I'm sad to be losing the current building on the corner for this fortress.
I was trying to avoid having to break this all the way down thinking that everyone on this thread was able to get it on the first try.

let me rephrase it for those who seem to be struggling. The area itself is very pedestrian friendly, very dense, very walkable. I think we can all agree on that, reason why I NEVER SAID AREA , I am referring to that specific neighborhood/block/street.... I mention how 6th street and Wilshire street are very ped friendly/commercial streets on their own and that they are near by. BUT this development sits on 5th street. An interior residential street that has no ground floor retail on any of its buildings in the specific vicinity because its just that. its purely residential and nothing more.

I feel sorry for some of you LA fourmers who haven't had the chance to venture outside of LA. No city on earth, not even NYC, has ground floor retail on every city block, every street and every traffic corridor. that would over saturate the city with unused retail space since not all of it can be used or would be used. I laugh when some of you get upset because not all new proposals have ground floor retail. that's not how city planning works. Travel more. you will see what im referring to.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 2:51 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Jaycruz, if you go back to my post, I make no mention of retail, nor did I assume that every block will have retail. I said that the way it interacts with the street is awful. And that still rings true, no matter where it is located. Having open parking decks on the 2nd floor is a terrible way to interact with it's surroundings. Putting that level of parking underground, and making the second floor apartments is a much better way of presenting itself to the pedestrian or its neighboring buildings. No retail is required, just better, more thoughtful design.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycruz View Post
I was trying to avoid having to break this all the way down thinking that everyone on this thread was able to get it on the first try.

let me rephrase it for those who seem to be struggling. The area itself is very pedestrian friendly, very dense, very walkable. I think we can all agree on that, reason why I NEVER SAID AREA , I am referring to that specific neighborhood/block/street.... I mention how 6th street and Wilshire street are very ped friendly/commercial streets on their own and that they are near by. BUT this development sits on 5th street. An interior residential street that has no ground floor retail on any of its buildings in the specific vicinity because its just that. its purely residential and nothing more.

I feel sorry for some of you LA fourmers who haven't had the chance to venture outside of LA. No city on earth, not even NYC, has ground floor retail on every city block, every street and every traffic corridor. that would over saturate the city with unused retail space since not all of it can be used or would be used. I laugh when some of you get upset because not all new proposals have ground floor retail. that's not how city planning works. Travel more. you will see what im referring to.
Took your arrogance pills this morning?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 4:51 PM

http://www.latimes.com/business/real...624-story.html

Developers want to add a hotel to a planned condo complex in Beverly Hills.

The planned development, now called One Beverly Hills, is next door to the venerable Beverly Hilton Hotel and a new Waldorf Astoria hotel under construction at the intersection of Wilshire and Santa Monica boulevards. The Wanda hotel would be on the south side of One Beverly Hills facing Santa Monica Boulevard. Condo development at 9900 Wilshire was approved by the city a decade ago, but the proposal to include a hotel in the project will require the developers to go before city officials again. The developers hope to secure permission for the altered project within 18 months and begin building it in early 2017. Construction would take at least two years.

The height and density of the project would not change from the approved design.

I like how you can see construction of 10000 Santa Monica in that rendering.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 5:54 PM

Ahh, that explains the delay.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 6:35 PM

That would do much to enliven the ped-experience on SMB and connect Beverly Hills to Century City. Hooray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
Sad to see no street level stuff on Selma east of Vine. Selma had some potential to build a nice block after block type of retail situation given what's west of vine on selma, but this development kills that apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
http://www.latimes.com/business/real...624-story.html

Developers want to add a hotel to a planned condo complex in Beverly Hills.

The planned development, now called One Beverly Hills, is next door to the venerable Beverly Hilton Hotel and a new Waldorf Astoria hotel under construction at the intersection of Wilshire and Santa Monica boulevards. The Wanda hotel would be on the south side of One Beverly Hills facing Santa Monica Boulevard. Condo development at 9900 Wilshire was approved by the city a decade ago, but the proposal to include a hotel in the project will require the developers to go before city officials again. The developers hope to secure permission for the altered project within 18 months and begin building it in early 2017. Construction would take at least two years.

The height and density of the project would not change from the approved design.

I like how you can see construction of 10000 Santa Monica in that rendering.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 7:21 PM

Quote:

Where did all of this come from? I was simply responding to your statement "the neighborhood isn't exactly pedestrian friendly." You're now just contradicting your own statement and proving why it was wrong. You're right, just because a block isn't lined with retail doesn't mean its in an unwalkable neighborhood. Purely residential neighborhoods can just as well be walkable, as is the case in this portion of Koreatown. A development's interaction with the street contributes to a neighborhood's walkability factor and the development of mention is severely lacking these crucial street-frontage elements (no set-backs, ground level transparancy, etc.). Not having retail is not the problem here.

You can take your arrogance elsewhere, I happen to be a practicing city planner and totally understand the dynamics of a urban environments. Bye girl.

Last edited by c1tyguy; Jun 24, 2015 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:

Damn! Chill son, it's not that serious.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 4:21 AM

A bit of East Hollywood love:

5550 Hollywood, a.k.a. High Line West (still don't care for the name)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 1:13 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/another-mixe...east-hollywood

Mixed-use development planned across the street from stalled Hollywood Target. 293 apartments, 34,500 sq. ft. of commercial space.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 3:24 PM

Good cause that's sorely needed. East hollywood getting some love

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:23 PM

New Lakers training facility in El Segundo-

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300107075.html

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:28 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Love! First class facility for a first class organization.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 1:21 PM

California Landmark Group has finished the LC Apartments, now open at Larchmont and Melrose (85 units, 3,500 sq. ft. of retail).

http://urbanize.la/post/first-look-inside-lc-apartments

Progress on the Collective in Playa Vista. These buildings will be Yahoo's new offices.

http://urbanize.la/post/creative-off...od-playa-vista

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 12:56 AM

Snapped a quick pic of Movietown Plaza on my way to the store. Sorry for the poor quality:

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 1:10 AM
Paramoderator

From Curbed LA:

Los Angeles Working on Plan to Cover City in Digital Billboards

Quote:
People in Los Angeles love digital billboards!! We can't get enough of them! Give us more!!! Oh, thank god, the LA City Council is ON IT. Lawsuits have tragically darkened so many of those blinky, flashy ads, but yesterday the City Council's Planning and Land Use Management Committee voted to bring them back big time. They want to create about two dozen sign districts spread throughout the city where ad companies could go nuts with the digital billboards, and then also make it possible for digital billboards to go up anywhere in the city through a special permitting process, "giving sign companies more options for placement," as the LA Daily News puts it.
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...billboards.php

One part of me thinks this is kinda cool with the whole life imitating Blade Runner thing, but at the end of the day, it kinda sucks to have LA covered in giant electronic billboards. It's *fine* in South Park right now, but I feel like if it spreads, it just becomes more blight.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 1:26 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/apartments-a...mpic-boulevard

New mixed-use development planned by Jamison Services at 3060 Olympic Boulevard. Seven stories, 226 apartments plus ground-floor retail. Architect is the KTGY Group.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 9:09 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Pretty decent, especially for Koreatown. And it's only an 11-minute walk to the Wilshire/Normandie station. I just wish the city would take easy, simple steps to making relatively walkable neighborhoods more pedestrian friendly. How hard is it to paint two white lines to denote a crosswalk? People would be more willing to walk to places.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 4:17 PM

About one mile away...

http://urbanize.la/post/apartments-r...-hughes-center

Altitude at Howard Hughes Center

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 7:17 PM

10000 SMBLVD
10000 Santa Monica Blvd-1239 by Eesomest, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations