HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 9:09 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Cross-Border Communications: Detroit-Windsor

Quote:

Cross Broder Communication - November:

Cross-Border Communication is an interventionist performance series based on the desperate need to communicate with Detroit, Michigan from Windsor, Ontario.

Using a 6000 lumens projector, Broken City Lab will transmit a message to Detroit once a week for 45 minutes from September to November 2009. Each week will feature a different message that we write and project onto the CIBC building, located at Ouellette Avenue & Riverside Drive in Windsor and clearly visible from downtown Detroit.

Windsor, as the southern-most city in Canada, is geographically distributed along the Detroit River, and its proximity to the Motor City has, to say the least, left a considerable mark on the city’s economy, culture, and politics. Windsor has been forever in the shadow of Detroit, and now as Detroit crumbles with the fall of the Big 3, Windsor is not far behind—the cities are intricately connected.

Today, the view of Windsor from Detroit is dominated by Caesars Windsor’s glowing red sign and large-scale video display, broadcasting an ad campaign that claims, “This is the life you were meant to live,” filled with images of idealized and impossible lifestyles given the current economic realities. However, we think there is something more to be said. We want to communicate the reality of the relationship that exists between Windsor and Detroit, and more importantly, between Canada and the US.

Cross-Border Communication will attempt to hijack and transform communicative efforts between Windsor and Detroit, which has historically been based solely on economic exchange.

We will start the project with the message, “WE’RE IN THIS TOGETHER” and then generate the remaining 11 messages as the project unfolds, likely in response to any current political and social climates shared between these border cities.
All photos by Crustina

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 4:52 PM
I am a typical

It's kind of creepy.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 6:16 PM

The article mentions that the images have been projected on the CIBC but they're actually on the Chrysler building parking garage.

Along with the auto industry collapsing, Windsor's 2nd largest industry (tourism) has been devastated by the idiotic passport requirement that is keeping Americans from crossing the border.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 4:36 AM

Blitz, I was going to put a note about the switch of venue for the project, but didn't think anyone knew the area enough to care. lol

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
The article mentions that the images have been projected on the CIBC but they're actually on the Chrysler building parking garage.

Along with the auto industry collapsing, Windsor's 2nd largest industry (tourism) has been devastated by the idiotic passport requirement that is keeping Americans from crossing the border.
I didn't think you had to have a passport? It's been a few years but they let me cross with just a drivers license and birth certificate.

The real pain was the random searches and seeing German shepherds and guys with large guns.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
I didn't think you had to have a passport?
Read up on the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative:

Quote:
Land/Sea Travel

Beginning June 1, 2009

*U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), most commonly a U.S. passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST, or an enhanced driver's license. See the complete list of WHTI-compliant documents.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's kind of creepy.
LOL

For the record: Creepy is an overused word that is in the eye of the beholder with interpretation based on personal subjectivity and biased perception. Creepy is one's own personal issue.

Creepy is not a representation of objective facts regarding communications initiatives between Detroit and Windsor.

"...Oh, and do I need a passport to go across the border to Windsor? I thought I could just use my McDonald's gift card for identification - or my Burger King certificate...I'm American, you know, we are the most powerful and can kick Canada's ***. I just want to go across the border and get drunk in Windsor and vomit on the sidewalks...Passport? OMG! Sounds too complicated...They have no right to treat us like that...I will boycott Canada!"

Yours truly,
Typical American

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos