HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 8:23 PM

While adaptive re-use is ideal for breweries (warehouse district), I would love to see a great brewery get built on a vacant lot near Garfield. A Four Peaks would draw convention goers and lawyers to walk thru ASU + higher end Portland residents to walk thru Roosevelt. It's just a pipe dream, but I've always thought a brand as powerful as Four Peaks could spur residential development on both sides of Downtown - if placed somewhere near the middle of our vacant lots.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 8:28 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
While adaptive re-use is ideal for breweries (warehouse district), I would love to see a great brewery get built on a vacant lot near Garfield. A Four Peaks would draw convention goers and lawyers to walk thru ASU + higher end Portland residents to walk thru Roosevelt. It's just a pipe dream, but I've always thought a brand as powerful as Four Peaks could spur residential development on both sides of Downtown - if placed somewhere near the middle of our vacant lots.
It may not be possible for Four Peaks to open a new restaurant anywhere. The brewery is currently approaching its production limits and under current law would have to close existing retail locations in order to make more beer. There's a bill pending in the state legislature that would fix that in part. Four Peaks could continue to expand production capacity, but it would come at the price of no more retail licenses for pubs, restaurants, or tap rooms.

http://www.azbeerbill.com/

Ultimately, we need to cultivate more breweries. Phoenix has just scratched the surface in terms of its potential to develop a robust urban beer culture.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post

http://www.azbeerbill.com/

Ultimately, we need to cultivate more breweries. Phoenix has just scratched the surface in terms of its potential to develop a robust urban beer culture.
Well put.

I hear the bill is gaining some really good momentum; I encourage everyone to sign it if they have a minute.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
I agree that that's ideal, but unfortunately, I don't think there are many empty spaces available that are priced low enough for a 1-story, 1-use retailer to purchase and build on. Plus, Adams seems ideal to go after conventioneers and the Warehouse District needs the boost.

But, really, one in all 3 locations should be able to succeed. That lot next to MonOrchid on 2nd Street/Roosevelt would be cool. Or, if going down the adaptive reuse, the house next to Bliss (formerly the Adult Actors Theatre) or the damn Roosevelt Tavern if it isn't going to ever reopen as some other establishment, would be nice.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 7:25 PM

work going on and a large crane at the Luhrs site.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 10:14 PM

Trying to locate large crane...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Trying to locate large crane...
How's this for larger

The crane is actually pretty large, the hole in the ground is about 2 floors deep.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Innovation Luhrs: How two historic high-rises will transform downtown Phoenix

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p....html?page=all

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p....html?page=all
can you paraphrase the contents of the article as you have to be subscriber to read it? thanks!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Two of the oldest buildings in Phoenix are ushering in a revival of small businesses and startups downtown.

The Luhrs City Center has undergone a $10 million renovation and already houses up-and-coming firms ranging from law to technology. The Tallwave High Tide startup commercialization program, announced last month, could change the atmosphere of the historic building cluster and offer a different vibe for a growing downtown business scene.

At least, that's what the property investors want to see out of the repurposing project.

See Also
Downtown vendor offers different perspective on Luhrs City Center

"Vibrant young professionals is what we want," said Billy Shields, an investment partner in Anaheim, California-based Hansji Corp., which owns the buildings.

He also is a longtime Phoenix political insider and a former head of the Phoenix Firefighters Union.

The goal of the High Tide program is to help entrepreneurs quickly and effectively build their ideas into viable, scalable and sustainable companies, said Robert Wallace, Tallwave's executive vice president of marketing.

"The primary goal is to draw innovation and make Luhrs City Center a tech and innovation hub in downtown Phoenix," Wallace said.

Tallwave will announce its selected companies in mid-March. The program will run from March 23 until June.

If companies are from out of town, the hope is that they will decide to stay in Phoenix, but that's not a requirement. Hansji officials also are hoping companies will want to lease permanent office space in their building.

Hansji, known primarily for hotel development, bought the historic Luhrs buildings for $28 million in October 2007. The city block bounded by Jefferson and Madison streets and Central and First avenues houses the neo-classical Luhrs Building and the 14-story art deco Luhrs Tower. The property also includes a one-story Luhrs Arcade connecting those two buildings, a 19-story Luhrs City Center Marriott under construction and a six-level parking garage.

Revitalizing downtown

Hansji bought into a vision that Phoenix could have a bustling downtown with the Luhrs buildings as a major component.

"We love Phoenix, and we're very passionate about what we're doing," said President Rajan Hansji, whose father, Shirish Hansji, started the company about 40 years ago. "We wanted to continue the history of the block. We felt this energy in downtown. We believed in it."

The Phoenix City Council awarded the company a $500,000 historic preservation grant in 2008 to restore the two main Luhrs structures.

At the time of the purchase, the Luhrs Building was vacant and deteriorating. Now, it is 100 percent occupied, and the Luhrs Tower is about 75 percent occupied. Hansji said he expects both buildings to be full by the end of the year with retail, startup law firms and tech companies.

"We wanted to work toward entrepreneurial companies and have a little more fun. Those types of companies who think outside the box will make these buildings even more unique," he said.

The developer is sweetening the pot for startups with an offer of $100,000, office space, living expense stipends, housing (if the company is from out of town) and $45,000 in commercialization resources. The business aid will come through the inaugural High Tide at Luhrs City Center business program, which starts at the end of March.

Building with startups

Scottsdale-based venture development firm Tallwave announced its first corp­orate partnership with Hansji in January and will run the High Tide program.

It's the fourth competition by Tallwave, and the first to include dedicated office space for the eight to 10 startups chosen for the program, said Robert Wallace, Tallwave's executive vice president of marketing.

"We wanted to help bring energy to this building. It was sort of a perfect match after meeting," he said.

The chosen entrepre­neurs will use the 3,500-square-foot third floor of the Luhrs Tower and be given the opportunity to build products and take them to market.

"We want it to be a very collaborative, open work space conducive to workshops, hands-on, rapid prototyping, position, branding and sales systemization," Wallace said.

At the end of the three-month program, two companies will receive $50,000 each in convertible notes, with no equity exchanged if the company doesn't raise money, Wallace said.

Applications are coming in from as far away as France and are the best Tallwave has seen in its competitions, Wallace said.

The goal is to continue the High Tide at Luhrs City Center program, and possibly entice graduating companies to move into one of the buildings permanently, Hansji said.

Already home

The center already has drawn some tech business interest. Giftcard Zen, a Flagstaff-based tech startup that purchases unwanted gift cards and resells them, is opening a second office March 1 on the seventh floor of the Luhrs Tower.

Giftcard Zen founder Aaron Dragu­shan said he wanted to open in downtown Phoenix to seek a better talent pool to keep up with the company's growth. The private company won't reveal revenue, but said it buys or sells a gift card every 10 seconds. The owners hope to add 20 employees to the 20 they will start with at Luhrs.

"I think this building has an amazing energy," said Dragushan, who started the company two and a half years ago. "We love the amount of light this floor gives us, and we love how stylish the building is. When you step off the elevator, you feel like you want to work here."

Hansji's efforts with Luhrs is not just about technology firms. Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour opened last May on the Luhrs Building's ground floor. Ross Simon, who calls himself the proprietor and principal barman, said opening the parlor was a lifelong dream.

"This space epitomizes what historic Phoenix wants to be," Simon said. "I love the energy. I love the light rail going by. I love the vibe."

The throwback bar and restaurant targets the dinner and weekend crowd, Shields said.

"The building speaks for itself," said Simon, who also likes the new apartments and condos in the area. "A bar like this is a perfect fit. It was an easy decision to open here."

Hayley Ringle covers technology and startups for the Phoenix Business Journal.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 10:06 PM

thanks for sharing, man! appreciated...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 8:46 PM

Has anyone seen the construction for the hotel at the Luhrs Center?

I haven't been down there in a while. Last I saw there was just a big hole. Is there a tower crane yet?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 5:41 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Has anyone seen the construction for the hotel at the Luhrs Center?

I haven't been down there in a while. Last I saw there was just a big hole. Is there a tower crane yet?
Not yet. Went by last night.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Not yet. Went by last night.
Why does this seem to be taking forever.

Also any news on Barrister going up across the street?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 11:34 PM

I've never had a good feeling about this project, especially with no full-sized renderings available (I know that means nothing); really hope we don't end up with a giant hole in place of the Luhrs Building.

Barrister Place isn't set to begin until the end of the year, but we'll see...

This is the first time I have read about the proposed retail square footage. I had heard they planned on only including retail in the Barrister building, but it appears that the 11,000 square feet mentioned is a part of the development agreement with the City, so maybe there will indeed be retail all along Jefferson and Central?

"PB Bell / Davis proposes to preserve the historic Barrister Building and construct two
adjacent six-story buildings as part of a $27 million mixed-use development. The
Barrister Building and adjacent buildings would include 11,000 square feet of ground
floor retail / commercial space fronting Jefferson Street and Central Avenue, with 114
rental residential units on the upper floors. The project would also include resident
amenities, structured parking, and public pedestrian and bicycle amenities at the street
level."

Last edited by Jjs5056; Apr 14, 2015 at 11:46 PM. Reason: City,

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 4:56 AM
Modulator

They've actually done a lot of below street level work for Marriott. I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like they may be including underground parking? The hole is deep enough for 2 levels.

As for Barrister, I thought I saw some equipment in the parking lot of couple days ago...possibly pre-site work? I shoulda grabbed a couple of pictures.

I really like how if all this comes together with Marriott and Barrister, it could start getting an urban-canyon feel for that area. Hopefully, Marriott will look at least decent. I don't like partial renderings

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 6:12 PM

Always nice to see new tenants Downtown... especially up and coming tech companies.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...onsmoving.html

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:45 AM

tonight I passed the hole where the new hotel will be and guess what was in it????? A CRANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 8:34 AM

tower crane but did I miss something, or have we still not seen a full rendering of this?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrrr View Post
tower crane but did I miss something, or have we still not seen a full rendering of this?
This is the most recent rendering on the Luhr's website (Click on Future tab at top).

http://pdf.leeazmail.com/pdfs/luhrsmarriott.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest