HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
It may just be for simplicity in the diagram, but I don't like how it suggests that it will be 100/3 that has the diamond and not 100/2. Highway 3/2 traffic should bypass Oak Bluff by using the Highway 2 alignment across the Perimeter, in my opinion.
I was told they will kill one of the connections. I can't say which one because I believe the new grade separation will be at a new alignment altogether. Either way there will be NO access to the Perimeter in this area other than the grade separation......which is how it should be.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Manitoba's first diamond interchange!
Sorry, been living in Manitoba too long but is Bishop/Pembina not a form of a diamond interchange? The exists from Bishop are diamond style but the exists from Pembina are full interchange style.

As for the Kennaston/Perimeter intersection my feeling is it will be similar to Pembina/Perimeter or the newly built CCW/Perimeter as it is meant to service both Kennaston and the planned St Norbert by-pass which will then become the main connection from the Perimeter to 75.

My bigger question is if these Perimeter upgrades will include removing all the at-grade low volume crossing that seem to exist primarily for agricultural access.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:19 PM
ABOVE people like you

All I have to say is....welcome out of the 1950's Winnipeg Street planners. Referencing the U.S. in the article as if it's so foriegn and futuristic design is laughable. Just take a drive through the other provinces, they ahve had these for years.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Sorry, been living in Manitoba too long but is Bishop/Pembina not a form of a diamond interchange? The exists from Bishop are diamond style but the exists from Pembina are full interchange style.
It's actually a partial cloverleaf, or parclo. Incidentally, this would be a much better interchange design for 100/3 than a regular diamond. Fewer left turns = fewer collisions.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

My bigger question is if these Perimeter upgrades will include removing all the at-grade low volume crossing that seem to exist primarily for agricultural access.
Apparently the Province is working to remove all of there low volume crossings on the Perimeter within the next couple of years. Their plan is to have NO uncontrolled intersections anywhere on the 100/101.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:32 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I think there are actually 8 or 9 that cross the Perimeter at-grade, but most of them rarely have any train traffic. The only one that I can think of with regular traffic that has an at-grade Perimeter Crossing is the CN line at Dugald.
The line crossing the north perimeter for example used to be one a week, but I think it is even less now. They use it to haul scrap metal and cars to Selkirk.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:36 PM

Along with the one near Dugald, the crossing just west of Lagimodiere on the south Perimeter gets a fair bit of traffic. The rest are infrequently-used branch lines.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Along with the one near Dugald, the crossing just west of Lagimodiere on the south Perimeter gets a fair bit of traffic. The rest are infrequently-used branch lines.
Ah yes, that's right. Used to get held up on Bishop or Fermor a lot back in the day with that train. Not quite as bad these days.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Apparently the Province is working to remove all of there low volume crossings on the Perimeter within the next couple of years. Their plan is to have NO uncontrolled intersections anywhere on the 100/101.
I would be interested to learn if the plan is to remove uncontrolled crossings or if all uncontrolled intersections are on the list, including the "right-only" ones that currently exist.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 1:32 AM

I'm going to suspect they'll still have the right turn only type access. Gunn road on the east perimetercould be one. It's pretty busy and could be a future diamond location once that are is built out.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
It may just be for simplicity in the diagram, but I don't like how it suggests that it will be 100/3 that has the diamond and not 100/2. Highway 3/2 traffic should bypass Oak Bluff by using the Highway 2 alignment across the Perimeter, in my opinion.
I agree with this...however the likely reason for choosing 3 as the interchange point is that Hwy 2 currently does not continue northeast of 100 into the city.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:01 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
All I have to say is....welcome out of the 1950's Winnipeg Street planners. Referencing the U.S. in the article as if it's so foriegn and futuristic design is laughable. Just take a drive through the other provinces, they ahve had these for years.
I like how 'Interstate-style" and "Interstate standards" is the real buzzword in all of this. Again, nothing new here, but we're also really making the public think that they're getting "Interstate quality highways" ... which... not really. Yes yes, the flood proofing will be equal to I-29, but Hwy 75 itself will be nowhere near interstate standards! Full grade separation, limited access.

Such a poor way to promote this. Just leave the "Interstate" in the US, where it belongs, and focus on the facts -- flood proofing, grade separations, safety improvements, repaving / rebuilding, etc.

Still, good to see the Province making the commitment to upgrade Hwy 75, 100/101, and hopefully soon announce the Headingley Bypass. St. Norbert would be later I guess.

So, does this mean the 59/101 interchange is now bumped back to 2027?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
I agree with this...however the likely reason for choosing 3 as the interchange point is that Hwy 2 currently does not continue northeast of 100 into the city.
Looking at how the CCW/Inkster exchange was handled something similar could have been done with Hwy 2 and McGillivary.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:24 PM

I believe Biff confirmed on the last page that the crossing at 2/3 will be a new alignment.

I assume they'll include an Oak Bluff bypass as part of it, but I guess we'll see.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 11:54 PM

The latest info on the South Regina Bypass. Very little new information was presented at this open house.

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/adx/as...ory+Boards.pdf

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 6:55 PM

Looking at the MIT website, and all the recent announcements regarding highways funding.
-CCW opened/Headingley Bypass is coming
-Southwest Perimeter upgrades, including interchange(s)
-PTH 9 upgrades
-PTH 10 upgrades
-PTH 59 upgrades
-PTH 75 upgrades
-Various other projects

One would think that an announcement of some kind has to be coming for the 59n/101 interchange?? Maybe?? Hate to beat a dead horse here. I know the scope, etc has now changed... But really, spending hundreds of millions on all these other projects. When you've been trying to get this project completed for 20 years now, at least.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerF View Post
The latest info on the South Regina Bypass. Very little new information was presented at this open house.

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/adx/as...ory+Boards.pdf
Thanks for posting! I didn't even realize there had been another open house regarding this project. Much appreciated

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
Thanks for posting! I didn't even realize there had been another open house regarding this project. Much appreciated
Still shocked by the two "Access Points" or as we call them, level crossings. A $Billion freeway with 2 level crossings?

They are clearly illustrated at the link.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Still shocked by the two "Access Points" or as we call them, level crossings. A $Billion freeway with 2 level crossings?

They are clearly illustrated at the link.
But is Highway 6 a freeway? It's highway 6 that has the level crossings.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 10:07 PM

They both have grade crossings. We like to call those "Manitoba Freeways"!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan