HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 5:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

^or this.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 7:00 PM
TL;DR

LOL that design's already been plagiarized.

I'll pass on the Zaha - her buildings are cool but I wouldn't want one in my city. Give me David Chipperfield or Jean Nouvel any day, though.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:42 PM
you know where I'll be

Not Acknowledging 4th floor any longer

Found it interesting that all new signage within the complex and promotional materials, etc no longer acknowledge the existence of the 4th floor........not sure what to read into this......several different possibilities, could be as meaningless as since there are no current tenants on the floor, this signage is 'temporary' (i don't think it's very well done and hope it's not intended to be longer-term) until CIM leases up the project......or of course, it could point to a few other - perhaps much more interesting - possibilities.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Mar 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:51 PM

Maybe they're resurrecting the hotel fantasy, modified to only be one floor.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 11:44 PM
TL;DR

I could imagine a situation where a floorplate is removed and the 3rd floor becomes double-height to host events or movies or something.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 10:21 AM

Also, possibly hotel negotiations could lead them to dedicate the top podium floor to hotel ballrooms and guest amenities.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:19 PM

New tenant for the Pedway. 1 down, 2 to go.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:29 PM
The City

^ Looks like their silhouette of the skyline contains Trump Tower.

A lot of silhouettes still only have the Hancock and Willis. Nice to see that updated..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 7:59 PM
TL;DR

Interesting. Chicago's pretty much banished this category of tourist-oriented gift shops/ticket shops from the Loop, except for 3 or 4 on Michigan. It's interesting that they're opening in the Pedway, though... I guess they're expecting tourists to arrive on the Blue Line.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 3:51 PM
you know where I'll be

Another tenant to bite the dust?

Since it hasn't been mentioned here yet, Crain's reported last week that the Block 37 Puma store may close. If it eventuates, obviously not great news in the very short-term, however their spot within the complex is so prime that it clearly would also present a great opportunity to land a real draw, a big tenant upgrade if you will. Also shouldn't be difficult at all to land a tenant, more a matter of strategically selecting the right one...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 5:34 PM
Urbane observer

Undoubtedly that's also the situation at Citadel Center (130 S. State) down the street. That big retail space between Akira and Starbucks remains vacant because they're strategically selecting the right one . . .

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:16 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Clearly there's something wrong with that particular space.....either it's unusually designed for streetfront retail such that it's a big turn-off for prospects or some other peculiarity at work, or the other potential would be the marketing of it/ownership motivation to cut a deal and get it filled - or lack thereof. Don't have insider knowledge of what the real cause is. However, you surely don't believe that if Puma left its corner spot at State/Randolph, they would have any difficulty landing a high-quality replacement in 6-9 months, max? All indications are that choice spots get spoken for very quickly on State, and solid tenant demand is pushing decent upward momentum in rents. Some structural issues yes - getting Block 37 filled and activiated with the right tenants, the dud of an 'anchor' in Sears, and the quality issues from around Adams, but these will be changing for the better....

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:26 AM

What about Gap's new huge store catercorner from B37 - their website seems to indicate it has opened finally but I haven't heard any details. I wonder if they built it with better street presence than the deadened look the Old Navy had. If they did, this could have a mild positive effect on B37 and that stretch of State in general.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 12:46 PM
you know where I'll be

^ It actually quietly opened at least a few weeks ago. Was surprised when I noticed activity inside as there certainly wasn't any media or other buzz around the opening. Haven't paid attention to what if any exterior changes were made but will take a look....

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 12:56 PM

^No big differences, except for windows on the second floor where there previously were none.

Anyway, I bet we'll see some tenant announcements in the next couple of months. CIM wouldn't take on a project like this if they weren't very confident they could at least bag an anchor tenant, like a movie theater for the 4th floor.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What if they closed the street stairs to the Red and Blue Line stations? People heading to the platforms would have to pass through Block 37. You'd need signage, of course.

src
Let's close I90 between Golf and Roselle Rd. People heading in and out of the city would have to pass through Woodfield Mall via Golf Rd? Pedestrian design should incorporate a natural flow....not forced.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 7:27 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Let's close I90 between Golf and Roselle Rd. People heading in and out of the city would have to pass through Woodfield Mall via Golf Rd? Pedestrian design should incorporate a natural flow....not forced.
The city (and the public) sank tons of money into this mall. If CTA can close a few entrances and reroute pedestrian traffic to help the mall thrive, why not? The public deserves a return on investment.

I was only thinking about the entrances on the west side of State/east side of Dearborn. I also suggested removing the doors between the subway mezzanine and the mall; it would be a huge waste of heating/cooling but you'd remove a significant mental barrier.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 2:42 PM

Personally I think that closing the street entrances to the CTA is a horrible idea. I would be really irritated if I was forced to walk through this mall rather than going right to the street. It would seem like another push of government corruption encouraging consumerism and patronage at a private business.

There is absolutely no public benefit to closing the street entrances.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 10:31 PM
TL;DR

I wouldn't. Those stairs are downright scary/treacherous when there's rain or snowmelt. The canopies help but IIRC those are only installed over escalators.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 3:02 PM

Where is the last actually clean and well kept CTA station you've ever been to? With the amount of abuse that a CTA station takes in a day I have no idea why you would want to take that into a new mall that is as mentioned is supposed to give taxpayers a return on their investment. The biggest problem with this place isn't foot traffic. Thousands of people walk past this place everyday. It's that no one even knows that it's a mall or has shops in it due to incredibly needless sign and design restrictions. The entrances are about as discrete and hidden as can be and the name Block 37 gives itself no help in identifying what it is. Seems more like a poor marketing and exterior design is it's main killer. The inside is actually really nice and I shop in there quite often. From the outside it just looks like an office building with storefronts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive