HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 2:13 PM
Me?!?

Philly biking is on the decline
Updated: MAY 14, 2016 — 5:53 AM EDT
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...5fozRtsiEFl.99

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:52 AM
Me?!?

Should an Atlantic City rail line start looking west instead?
Updated: MAY 16, 2016 — 9:59 AM EDT
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...64d4HCLAS65.99

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:16 PM

The biggest priority on the Jersey side right now should be a tunnel under the Delaware River. The BF is at capacity and PATCO is packed every morning. Without a tunnel it is impractical to talk about any further expansions.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:46 PM

In the short term, New Jersey needs to start implementing South Jersey-Philadelphia BRT in order to accommodate the growing ridership. I don't see a tunnel happening any time soon with the transportation funding we have right now. Heck, getting another tunnel to connect North Jersey and New York is still in limbo because neither side wants to cooperate on who funds and builds the tunnel. That being said, a tunnel across the Delaware River is necessary for any large expansion plans of transit between PA and NJ.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 3:47 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
The biggest priority on the Jersey side right now should be a tunnel under the Delaware River. The BF is at capacity and PATCO is packed every morning. Without a tunnel it is impractical to talk about any further expansions.
I bet you can shove a few more PATCO trains across the bridge if you automate the line.

The problem with a new Delaware River rail tunnel is that the old South Jersey commuter rail network's been ripped to shreds. It used to end at Federal Street Station ... which happens to have been where DRPA's HQ building is today. Other than the bit in Camden, most of the network is a bunch of freight spurs that could use some TLC.

So I would say the priorities are, in this order:

(1) Get more utility out of the AC line. Add a short turn to Hammonton and run it hourly, half-hourly during peak.

(2) Add PATCO capacity by automating the line. SEPTA can also look into automating the El (for the same reason), btw; it might be advantageous for both parties to use the same or compatible automation software.

(3) Develop the Glassboro light rail.

(4) Extend the Glassboro line down to Millville, and develop LR along the Mt. Holly, Carneys Point, or Salem lines, or the line through Audubon and Somerdale. The latter two will likely require heft of a development lobby, particularly one seeking to replicate Collingswood's success.

And then, when you've got 3 or 4 rail lines converging on Camden, can you take a look at a new Delaware River tunnel.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 9:03 PM

My understanding is that it's a structural issue with the bridge itself not a spacing issue. I think PATCO is actually already automated in a similar way to the DC Metro.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:28 PM
Me?!?

SEPTA, Uber team to ease suburban parking crunch
Updated: MAY 24, 2016 — 4:21 PM EDT
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...WM8Pl9gYCX9.99

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 12:45 PM
Me?!?

SEPTA approves deal for hybrid buses
Updated: MAY 27, 2016 — 1:08 AM EDT
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...Y2US08DIA81.99

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 5:07 PM

Media/Elwyn Crum Creek Viaduct

Don't think I've seen this posted, but with the shutdown of the line west of Swarthmore just two weeks away, here are links to the project website:
http://crumcreekviaduct.com/index.html

And to the webcams:
http://crumcreekviaduct.com/webcam.html

They are basically constructing the new bridge to the south of the existing one and will then slide it over once the existing structure has been removed.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 3:15 PM

Could Atlantic City's airport get a train station?

Could Atlantic City's airport get a train station?

Updated: June 7, 2016
By Emily Babay, Staff writer
Philadelphia Inquirer

Will travelers flying into, and out of, Atlantic City someday be able to take a train directly to the airport? And, will Philadelphians be able to hop on board from 30th Street Station?

That could be in flyers' future, if a bill that cleared an Assembly committee this week advances.

The measure would direct the state Department of Transportation and N.J. Transit to build a rail station at Atlantic City International Airport in Egg Harbor Township. The station would connect the Atlantic City Rail Line to the airport.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...n-station.html

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 6:21 PM

Philly deserve a 24/7 subway service again !!!!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:08 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Fridays and Saturdays we do.

Philadelphia deserves a transit system not run my myopic nail-chompers. That's the problem.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 1:54 PM
Me?!?

New name for Fifth Street subway stop
Updated: JULY 1, 2016 — 1:08 AM EDT
by Jason Laughlin, Staff Writer

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...bway_stop.html

The name for Fifth Street's subway stop got longer but more descriptive at a ceremony Thursday.

The Market-Frankford Line stop is now called Fifth Street Independence Hall Station. The change highlights the stop as a gateway to some of Philadelphia's most famous landmarks and makes using the subway easier for tourists unfamiliar with the city, officials said.

"Naming this station will make public transit even more embedded in our city," said Mayor Kenney.

SEPTA will be updating its station maps to reflect the change in the near future, said Jeff Knueppel, the authority's general manager.

The renaming is part of a more ambitious beautification plan for the station and the corner of Fifth and Market Streets. SEPTA is seeking a federal transportation grant to provide $7.8 million for a nearly $20 million renovation that will improve disabled access to the station, and add bike racks and cobblestones and bus lanes to the intersection.

Plans include glass canopies over the stairways leading into the station and remodeled platforms that include brick facades to give the station a Colonial-style accent. SEPTA applied for the grant last year, but wasn't among the winners. SEPTA is seeking the grant money again this year.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 10:52 PM
Me?!?

SEPTA: 'Significant structural defect' sidelines 120 rail cars
Updated: JULY 2, 2016 — 6:05 PM EDT
by Chris Mondics, Staff Writer

SEPTA said Saturday it had removed 120 Silverliner V passenger cars from service due to a "significant structural defect" - nearly a third of its passenger rail car fleet - and that they would remain sidelined until repairs are made.

The decision raised the prospect of considerable commuter delays when work schedules return to normal following the July 4 holiday weekend.

SEPTA spokewoman Carla Showell-Lee said the defects had been discovered since Friday and that the decision to pull them from service was made in a conference call of senior SEPTA managers. She said the agency still was trying to determine what the problem is, but that the cars were pulled after SEPTA staff observed that one or more of them were leaning off-center.

Bernard Norwood, head of the SEPTA conductors union, said he was told following a meeting of SEPTA officials Saturday that the defects likely did not pose a safety threat.

"They said it wasn't a serious problem but what they were doing is being very cautious," Norwood said.

It wasn't the first time that problems with the cars surfaced. Delivery of the cars, which began came on line in 2010, was delayed because of workmanship defects and other problems. The cars also have experienced trouble with doors opening and closing during exceedingly cold weather.

In its announcement, SEPTA said that it did not anticipate that pulling the cars would impact its light service schedule through the July 4th weekend, but the agency left open the possibility of disruptions when the normal commuter week resumes.

"SEPTA has identified a significant structural defect with its Silverliner V Regional Rail cars," said the SEPTA statement. "All 120 Silverliner V cars, which comprise approximately one-third of the Regional Rail fleet, are currently out-of-service for inspection. This will not adversely impact service through Monday July 4th, as the weekend/holiday schedules can be accommodated with the remainder of the fleet."

On any given day, some 15 percent of SEPTA's 400 passenger rail cars are offline for maintenance, upgrades and other forms of service.

Pulling the relatively new Silverliner V passenger cars from service would essentially double the number of cars unavailable to carry passengers on its already crowded lines.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...d_service.html

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 3:47 PM
Me?!?

SEPTA: Serious cracks found in 95 percent of cars inspected so far
Updated: JULY 4, 2016 — 1:07 AM EDT

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ed_so_far.html

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 4:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

Maybe cause they're too damn heavy?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 6:33 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Septa Urges Commuters To Find Alternate Transportation

Video Link

Commuters Suffer Through Day 2 Of SEPTA Delays

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 6:54 PM
Me?!?

SEPTA gives a look at the cracks that sidelined 120 rail cars
Updated: JULY 15, 2016 — 1:07 AM EDT
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...s.html?photo_2

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 4:28 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

What is the latest word on a City Hall SEPTA station make over? As we all know, it will be a challenging project, and it could certainly use a refresh.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
What is the latest word on a City Hall SEPTA station make over? As we all know, it will be a challenging project, and it could certainly use a refresh.
They plan on starting the project this fall: http://septa.org/rebuilding/station/city-15th.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation