HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
The Cache Valley thread died so this is the closes topic thread for Cache Valley/Logan News.

I had heard nothing recently of this Ski Resort getting past the litigation but as you can tell from this report it's a go.

http://fox13now.com/2014/08/14/utahs...n-this-winter/

It really is odd to me to think of a resort so close to Richmond, but this canyon feeds into to Franklin Basin which gets a ton of snow every year and then it dumps some on Beaver Mountain, which will be their main competition. Beaver has always been a family owned Mountain that didn't have to give you a great skiing experience because there was no competition. Maybe they will get their act together now with the new resort opening.

One benefit will be the drive to Cherry Peak. Logan Canyon is one crappy road in the winter and down right dangerous when snow is falling. I mean this resort is really close to the Valley. This would be like having a resort up City Creek Canyon, minus the population of course. Richmond is one small town but it has a Pepperidge farms factory

It would be great to see a new resort down in Utah County. I have always thought up Hobble Creek Canyon would be perfect. Also South Fork Canyon could do it too.
As a native to Richmond, who then moved to Minneapolis, Hong Kong, Chicago, Hawaii, San Diego, and Salt Lake City i post from time to time on this forum. Point is i know that the ski resort will be opening this fall. The lifts are completed and they are completing the lodge right now. The road has been widened and just started to get paved the beginning of this week.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strippadam View Post
As a native to Richmond, who then moved to Minneapolis, Hong Kong, Chicago, Hawaii, San Diego, and Salt Lake City i post from time to time on this forum. Point is i know that the ski resort will be opening this fall. The lifts are completed and they are completing the lodge right now. The road has been widened and just started to get paved the beginning of this week.
As a native of Salt Lake City who moved to Norway, Illinois, Portland, Norway, Sweden, Australia, New York City, and Salt Lake City, welcome.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 9:18 PM

Free Wi-Fi to cover downtown Ogden

Natalie Crofts, KSL

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=31503690&nid...&s_cid=queue-4

Quote:
A free Wi-Fi network was launched in Ogden and will soon cover the entire downtown area, city officials announced Tuesday.

The network currently runs from 21st Street to 22nd Street between Washington Boulevard and Grant Avenue, according to a statement from the city. Coverage of the entire down area is scheduled to be completed by December 2016.

“Creating a free Wi-Fi network over a large portion of the downtown area will give citizens far more Internet access,” Ogden City IT operations manager Andy Lefgren said in a statement. “The municipal wireless network provides greater access in more places and at speeds up to four times faster than the average home user is able to purchase presently.”

The city is teaming with WebNX to provide the service. WebNX is an Internet infrastructure company that recently decided to base its secondary data center in Ogden.

All of the hardware and networking infrastructure was donated to the city by WebNX, according to the statement from Ogden City. The company will also dedicate 10 Gbps of bandwidth to the project.

“The real estate in Ogden is a great value," said Marc Rosenthal, WebNX head of Business Development and Finance, in a statement. "Add to that a really business friendly atmosphere and a city who is great to work with and it just makes sense to do business here.”

Offering free Wi-Fi will help improve economic development and enhance public safety, according to the city. Officials said the creation of the network will not create any cost for the city or its citizens.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:08 PM

Ogden's Historic 25th Street named 'One of 10 Great Streets in America'

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=31793007&nid=481

OGDEN — Wednesday, Ogden’s 25th Street was named one of the greatest streets in America by the American Planning Association.

The organization ranked streets across America according to the “unique and authentic characteristics that have evolved from years of thoughtful and deliberate planning by residents, community leaders and planners. …(And) having a true sense of place, cultural and historical interest, community involvement, and a vision for tomorrow.”

25th Street was recognized for having the most complete contiguous row of turn-of-the-century commercial architecture in Utah — built to accommodate tourists who traveled there by rail.

While the street hasn’t always had a family friendly vibe — opium dens and brothels catered to residents’ and tourists’ vices at the turn of the century — its current state of being welcomes families, tourists, outdoor enthusiasts and others. And, to improve access for pedestrians and bicyclists, the street is currently under construction to for additional pedestrian, bike and transit connections.

If you’re interested in checking out the hard work of Ogden to revitalize its downtown, take an afternoon or evening to experience 25th Street.

Roosters Brewing
Located in a rustic, 119-year-old building, Roosters Brewing Co. houses home-style classic food with an Italian, German and Mexican influence. The two-story restaurant features a large banquet room used to host parties and corporate dinners. Roosters hosts annual events like "Birds & the Bees and the Flowers & the Trees" party and “Utah Beer Festival.” Diners travel from across the country to eat at Roosters and many boast their bread pudding as famous.

253 Historic 25th Street

Pandemonium Art
The Pandemonium Art gallery features local artists’ work and Pandemonium Paint Parties for beginner, intermediate and advanced artists. Each week, artists and novices venture to the gallery and recreate existing works on canvases using their own style. The gallery is also hosting Halloween-themed paint partings for the month of October.

155 Historic 25th Street

Union Station
Ogden’s Union Station has been part of 25th street’s rich history for 90 years. Formerly the junction of the Union Pacific and Central Pacific Railroads, the station is home to the Utah State Railroad Museum, the John M. Browning Firearms Museum and The Browning-Kimball Classic Car Museum. It is also a popular photography destination and wedding reception location. Union Station boasts three art galleries, and the Union Grill Restaurant appeases Ogden’s tourism.

2501 Wall Avenue

Sock Monkey’N Around
Sock Monkey’N Around Antiques offers vintage dresses, hats, accessories, toys and anything else that might have been popular on an “I Love Lucy” episode. The quaint shop is designed for friends who like to play dress-up and those who enjoy wandering down memory lane.

236 Historic 25th Street

Wiseguys comedy
For the funny-bone group, Wiseguys was named Best Comedy Club by City Weekly. Utah-based comedian Keith Stubbs started the club in 2003 and quickly gained local clout. A wide range of comedians have performed at Wiseguys, including The Soup’s Joe McHale, Melissa Peterman from "Reba," “Last Comic Standing” winners Alonzo Bodden and Josh Blue, Jamie Kennedy and Caroline Rhea. The 250-seater can also be rented for private shows.

269 Historic 25th Street

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 2:33 PM
Transit Advocate

Always loved 25th Street and Downtown Ogden from the day I set foot in Utah 20 years ago. Ogden arguably has the best downtown in the state second only perhaps... perhaps... to Park City. Parck City has the wow factor and the national cred but Ogden is much more my type of place. No other city in Utah comes close to the sense of community and pride in downtown as Ogden does. There's always something going on, some festival or event, farmers market, Christmas Village a nice stretch of bars and other local businesses on 25th street and two awesome nerd shops very nearby. If there was just a better employment base and job core, Ogden would be one smoking hot urban development area. I'm a SLC resident with a serious crush on O-town for 20 years. I would love to develop something really cool in downtown Ogden

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 8:54 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
Always loved 25th Street and Downtown Ogden from the day I set foot in Utah 20 years ago. Ogden arguably has the best downtown in the state second only perhaps... perhaps... to Park City. Parck City has the wow factor and the national cred but Ogden is much more my type of place. No other city in Utah comes close to the sense of community and pride in downtown as Ogden does. There's always something going on, some festival or event, farmers market, Christmas Village a nice stretch of bars and other local businesses on 25th street and two awesome nerd shops very nearby. If there was just a better employment base and job core, Ogden would be one smoking hot urban development area. I'm a SLC resident with a serious crush on O-town for 20 years. I would love to develop something really cool in downtown Ogden
Agreed. I think there is lots of potential for even more cool things in downtown O-town. Let's make something happen.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 4:34 PM

Cabela's coming to Farmington

The 72,000-square-foot store will open in the newly planned Park Lane Commons development adjacent to Station Park in Farmington in the spring of 2016

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=210&sid=32704241

Since this will be adjacent to Station Park, and (as Future Mayor often reminds us) Station Park in NOT a Transit Oriented Development- Does this make Cabela's a TAAD? (Transit Adjacent Adjacent Development)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 4:41 PM

I'm glad Davis County is getting a highly regarded retailer like Cabela's. The K-Mart in Woods Cross just closed and the owners are planning to redevelop the whole area so I wish the Cabela's would have gone there instead, but Farmington is ok too.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 12:44 AM

Defunct Ogden Exchange building gets new life with renovation
http://www.standard.net/Business/2014/11/02/Formerly-dilapidated-Ogden-Exchange-building-opening

A ghost of West Ogden’s past is set to come back to life.

This week, Ogden City will hold a special open house and ground breaking on blight reduction activities meant to prepare for a new business park on just over 50 acres surrounding the vacant Ogden Exchange Building near the old stockyards in West Ogden.

Cami Orr, Ogden marketing and communications administrator, said the event will include a historical presentation and walking tour through the Exchange Building. Orr said the public is invited to the event, which is set for 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Exchange Building, 600 W. Exchange Road.

The city has been involved in a process to purchase $5.9 million worth of land on just over 50 acres surrounding the Exchange Building since June. Five individual properties are being sought by the city so they can begin a redevelopment project being called the Ogden Business Exchange.

The city is working with an undisclosed developer to build a light-manufacturing, industrial and business park in the area, which city officials say will spearhead growth in an area of Ogden that has been void of any major business activity for years.

The project is included in an economic development project area called the Trackline Economic Development Plan, which was adopted last year by the city council to assist with financing the OBE park.

The plan replaced what was known as the Golden Spike Redevelopment Plan, which was created by the city in 1989 in hopes of enticing new manufacturing and industrial businesses to the area. The project area was created in part because a malt company wanted to bring a large plant to the area, but the project the city anticipated from the malt company never happened, and the plan has stood still for the past 25 years.

The more than 120 acres in the project area was previously used as a stockyard and for livestock exchange, but the area has been underutilized for years. The Exchange Building hasn’t been used in more than 40 years and until recently has resembled a scene out of post-apocalyptic movie with its beaten down, graffiti-covered appearance.

The city has already made visible progress on the outside of the building, removing weeds from the front of the building and removing the broken windows and replacing them with red painted plywood.

The building was designed by famous Ogden-area architect Leslie Simmons Hodgson, whose other work includes historical buildings like Ogden High, the U.S. Forest Service Building and the Ogden Municipal building.

“It’s kind of like a ghost of Ogden’s past that’s just there for years and years,” Orr said. “I think people will be interested in seeing (the inside of the building). Other than some vandalism, it’s pretty much the same as it was years ago.”

Preserving Ogden's History by Envisioning its Future
http://ogdencity.com/en/news/2013New...0Building.aspx

Ogden City, together with the Redevelopment Agency and local and federal partners, is working to achieve the vision of the Ogden Business Exchange, a 51-acre master planned business park located at the historic Ogden Union Stockyards.

To illustrate the vision of the project and to share some of the vast history of the site, a public open house and groundbreaking event for limited blight reduction activity was held on November 5 at 600 W. Exchange Road, Ogden, Utah. An exclusive tour of the Exchange Building was available to those that attended.

Beginning in 1917 and running through the late 1970s, the Ogden Union Stockyards dominated the livestock industry in the west and provided one of the largest economic engines within the city. Over 2.4 million head of sheep, hogs, cattle, and horses made its way through the stockyards in the peak year of 1949, resulting in over $87 million in annual revenue – the equivalent of $1.2 billion in today’s dollars. Adding to this enormous impact were three packing houses, all of which generated vast revenues themselves and added over 150 employees to the already 100 plus employed at the stockyards. The railroad may have helped establish Ogden’s presence as a western hub, but it was the livestock industry and the prominence of the Ogden Union Stockyards that fueled Ogden’s wealth and prosperity.

As the trains gave way to over-the-road trucking and modern efficiencies, the relevancy of the Stockyard dwindled. Sadly, the Ogden Union Stockyards were closed in January 1971. Forty-three years of neglect and decay have left the proud stockyards a ghost of what once was. Standing as a window to the past is the Exchange Building, the original administrative offices of the livestock operation. Constructed in 1931, the Exchange Building reminds us that history is the foundation on which the future is built; an ever-present cry that begs us to rebuild. This time, the glory of the stockyards will not come from cows and sheep, but from technology and industry. And the Exchange Building will be at the center of it all!

The Ogden Business Exchange is designed to be more than a collection of buildings and roads. Its proximity to the Weber River and internal walking/bike paths encourages a connection to the active outdoor recreation lifestyle that abounds in Ogden and its unique layout will embody the history of the site through open space development and preservation of important elements.

The City and Redevelopment Agency are working to secure development funding from local and federal sources.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 3:50 PM

Thanks for sharing these. Any development news for Ogden is good news in my book. I like that they are preserving the old building as part of this development. Looking at a map, this area is east of I-15 but west of the railroad tracks and lines up about with 25th street. This could provide a bit of a better gateway into downtown.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 12:29 AM

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 10:11 PM
Development Junkie

I don't think this has been posted, and I don't have any images of what their building will look like, but Osprey Packs is building a new 108,000 sq. ft. U.S. distribution center at Business Depot Ogden (BDO) that will be open by mid-2015. From what I've heard it will also include an outlet store.

"The distribution center location was chosen for close access to rail and truck shipping corridors suited for the company’s retail base."

It is a consolidation of several facilities currently in Cortez, Colorado.

Standard.net article, 9/22/2014

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 5:19 PM

big tech development coming to Brigham City

I guess the photos didn't turn out, but it looks like they will be renovating the old army/depot base there and add additional buildings. See the link for photos & renderings.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2177215-1...city-poised-to

Quote:
The newest kid on the block, Caribbean Pacific Foundation, is delivering a quantum leap - cutting-edge technology that will redefine the energy paradigm, and in the process, bring 3,000 new jobs to Utah within the next five to six years

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 10:44 PM

That article is weird. It really doesn't say much and it is "sponsored". I did not see it say where it would be, but there is no old army depo/base in Brigham City. There is a National Gaurd Armory, but it is very small, in a residential area, and as far as I know is not moving. There was also the Bushnell Army Hospital, later the Intermountain Indain School, but the land is almost entirely owned by Utah State University for their new campus, which for some reason is shown in one of the renders.

The most likely place would be near Corinne, close to the Procter and Gamble plant, where they are planning on having a business park.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I guess the photos didn't turn out, but it looks like they will be renovating the old army/depot base there and add additional buildings. See the link for photos & renderings.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2177215-1...city-poised-to

Good to see the Wasatch Front Tech boom expanding north to Brigham City.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeVaJe View Post
That article is weird. It really doesn't say much and it is "sponsored". I did not see it say where it would be, but there is no old army depo/base in Brigham City. There is a National Gaurd Armory, but it is very small, in a residential area, and as far as I know is not moving. There was also the Bushnell Army Hospital, later the Intermountain Indain School, but the land is almost entirely owned by Utah State University for their new campus, which for some reason is shown in one of the renders.

The most likely place would be near Corinne, close to the Procter and Gamble plant, where they are planning on having a business park.
It doesn't state specifically, but the photos seemed to indicate the old brick buildings that at least used to be where you could see them down from Hwy. 91 as you head up towards Logan. I thought that was some sort of old army depot/base. The rendered image and those photos look like those buildings. I just looked on google maps and it looks like most of those buildings have been demolished. And, there's a big x-shape on that site that looks like a building in that shape that was also demolished. One of the new renderings shows an x-shape building as if they are proposing to mimic the previously demolished building. Anyways, it does seem like that's where the development will be.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:07 AM

Yeah, that was the Bushnell Army Hospital/Intermountain Indian School. The x-shaped building is the new USU building currently under construction, and almost all the empty land is owned by USU.
I didn't think it would be there, but it looks like it is. The building with the zigzag roof is one of the few original ones left, most of the others being occupied with business or housing, but there are a couple of other lots owned by the same current owner of the zigzag building. I wonder what they would do there, as the location would be inappropriate for manufacturing.

Last edited by LeVaJe; Feb 16, 2015 at 8:22 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:40 PM

Ogden hopes art work creates pedestrian corridor

Standard Examiner

http://www.standard.net/Arts-Culture...erday-in-Ogden

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 2:53 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I've always loved the buildings on the west side of Kiesel Ave on the northern 2/3rds of the block. The one on the SW Corner of Kiesel and 24th would make fantastic urban residential lofts.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I've always loved the buildings on the west side of Kiesel Ave on the northern 2/3rds of the block. The one on the SW Corner of Kiesel and 24th would make fantastic urban residential lofts.
Actually Lotus Development wants to do luxury apartments in that building. I'll find the article when I have some time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West