HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 1:48 AM

I do work for Lehi as a planner, and as far as I know there isn't anything taller than UCCU coming down the pipe soon but I've heard conversations about possibly going up to 10 floors. TP and TM have height restrictions but the city doesn't so things could go up! I am always encouraging taller buildings but to go beyond the 5 or 6 story height the cost of fire protection keeps most developers from doing it. Once property values increase enough then it could outweigh that cost.

I would hate to think all this office development in Lehi takes away from downtown SLC but I'm surprised to see some of the projects we're getting up there too! The map that shows future areas in Lehi covers most of what is around Thanksgiving Point and TM but there is property along 2100 N west of the Jordan River with commercial zoning that I have seen some concepts with more office and retail space. It may take some time before we see anything out there but the City and Camp Williams are working on a sewer line out there that could get some things moving. Honestly I'd rather see things build out in TP and TM before things develop out west. I could talk all day on this stuff but I will post on here as we get some good submittals!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 4:47 AM

I wouldn't want all development to be concentrated downtown anyway. I'm a big proponent for developing "community centers" that focus higher density development in suburban city centers (as opposed to giant office parks on the edge of cities). Enough developments of that sort and commute times and traffic will inevitably improve across the board, and people will be more encouraged to move "in" instead of "out". Of course, that's a long-term outlook, but the trend is certainly looking in that direction.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 4:31 PM

Wow, there's a lot of building happening in Spanish Fork now. The walls of the wal-mart are up, and the roof's on. It'll be opening the end of October, I believe. Also, there's quite a bit of development happening next to the Gold's Gym, though I'm not sure what they're building there. Also, north of the Starbucks two additional buildings are being put in.

There's also quite a bit of dirt being moved behind the Winger's on the east side of highway 6. I don't know what's going to be built over there, either.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:31 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
Wow, there's a lot of building happening in Spanish Fork now. The walls of the wal-mart are up, and the roof's on. It'll be opening the end of October, I believe. Also, there's quite a bit of development happening next to the Gold's Gym, though I'm not sure what they're building there. Also, north of the Starbucks two additional buildings are being put in.

There's also quite a bit of dirt being moved behind the Winger's on the east side of highway 6. I don't know what's going to be built over there, either.
  • Mattress Firm is the building that will back US6 north of Gold's.
  • Walgreens is moving dirt at the corner of 1000 N and US6.
  • Good Earth Natural Foods will be facing north between 600 E and 700 E.
  • Nebo Credit Union just received their building permit for 463 E 1000 N.
I haven't found definitive evidence of what will be in the two buildings north of Starbucks but I have heard strong rumors of Zupas, Five Guys, and Cubby's; likely candidates for those two buildings. Unfortunately, none of what I've found is a sit down restaurant (like Chili's, etc.).

CONFIRMED UPDATE 2014-08-08:
  • Zupas indicates on their Coming Soon page (www.cafezupas.com) they are coming to 507 E 1000 N; the building that is framed and backing US6 (north of Starbucks).
  • Culver's is saying they will break ground this month. They will also back US6, but between the intersections of 1000 N and 700 E.

UPDATE 2014-08-11:
From Spanish Fork City's Facebook page
"There are a few new businesses coming to town and you are probably noticing all the construction. The buildings that are in construction just west of Starbucks on Highway 6 are going to be the new locations for Cubby’s, Five Guys, Zupas and Malawis Pizza. You will also notice some construction off Highway 6, west of Gold’s Gym. Walgreens, Culvers, Good Earth, and Mattress Firm will all be in that area. Culvers and Walgreens have not started construction yet."
(emphasis added)

Last edited by tygr; Aug 11, 2014 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 4:01 AM

Somebody built this at the mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn0M...youtu.be&t=23s

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
Somebody built this at the mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn0M...youtu.be&t=23s
Do you reddit?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Do you reddit?
Yes. Where else would I find cool stuff to kill time at work and get paid.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 5:02 PM

Didn't know this was projected to open next year...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/enterta...-lake.html.csp

The ambitious dream of Evermore Park on its way to reality in Utah

By Michael McFall
The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Sep 05 2014

Quote:
Lindon • Ken Bretschneider stands in front of a miniature version of his dream, a sprawling park with an imposing castle, a derelict pirate ship, soaring overgrown ruins, woods filled with magic and a bustling town square.

Painted blue rivers in the model snake around the hamlet and ruins, streaming into the luminous caverns, where boats will ferry visitors to where pirates hide their gold. There are the two- and three-story Victorian buildings where, depending on the time of year, costumed men and women glide across a ballroom, Sherlock Holmes hunts for clues and Christmas sights and smells pull people into yuletide fantasies. There are the trees dotting the model’s landscape that mark the forest, where brave explorers will take lanterns in hand and delve into the depths of a catacomb, at the direction of a witch they meet.

And that’s just a taste of what Evermore Park plans to offer. It’s all quite ambitious. The 45-acre park (slightly less than half the size of Lagoon) is tentatively slated to open in Pleasant Grove next year and will cost more than $150 million.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:40 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Didn't know this was projected to open next year...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/enterta...-lake.html.csp

The ambitious dream of Evermore Park on its way to reality in Utah

By Michael McFall
The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Sep 05 2014
When I talked to Ken at Comic Con, he stressed that they hope Phase I to be complete next year - i.e. the Main Square and Old Town. The other areas or Chapters of the park would be opened periodically at later times.

Regardless, I hope this works - this looks to be a great, unique family adventure destination for Utah.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:48 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
When I talked to Ken at Comic Con, he stressed that they hope Phase I to be complete next year - i.e. the Main Square and Old Town. The other areas or Chapters of the park would be opened periodically at later times.

Regardless, I hope this works - this looks to be a great, unique family adventure destination for Utah.
Did you by chance talked to him about the "Urban Air Center" development?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:02 PM

The article I posted also mentioned something about the AIR Center,

Quote:
Bretschneider acknowledges that the project has its skeptics. But he is backed by a successful career. He founded the Lindon-based online security provider DigiCert in 2003 and was named as a finalist in Ernst & Young’s Utah Entrepreneur of the Year in 2012. Retaining leadership at DigiCert, while also founding the charitable organization People Water, he’s also now building the Urban Air Center, slated to become the tallest building in downtown Salt Lake City’s skyline upon its completion.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 10:14 PM

Photo Bump

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 9:10 PM

Unraveling the proposed University Mall CDA

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...2f53f726e.html

OREM -- In the next few weeks residents of Orem will be pushed, poked and prodded about what they know and how they feel about the Community Development Area (CDA) that includes 133 acres around the University Mall -- soon to be renamed University Place.

The mall, opened in 1973, is the flagship project of the Woodbury Corporation. Woodbury has partnered with Ivory Homes to help build out University Place, a mall development that some people are calling City Creek South, in reference to the redeveloped mall in downtown Salt Lake City...

Constructions continues on new buildings at University Place in Orem, home of the University Mall, on Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014. The Orem City Council met Tuesday night to discuss the planned Community Development Project Area that will see major development changes at University Place. SPENSER HEAPS, Daily Herald

SPENSER HEAPS, Daily Herald

SPENSER HEAPS, Daily Herald

Last edited by delts145; Oct 22, 2014 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 5:42 AM
Bring out the cranes...

1600 North Tower

1600 North Tower
1385 West 1600 North, Orem, UT 84057
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18215...North-Orem-UT/

Eight floors with 15,400 SF floor plates divisible to 5,000 SF. 10' ceiling heights, unobstructed views - no columns, open floor plates. Full redundant backup generation (generator & UPS systems) available upon request & multiple telecom providers. Covered parking & reserved / covered parking available. Security controlled access.

Freeway visibility with freeway signage. Located in the area that has attracted multiple "Fortune 500" companies. Immediately off I-15's 1600 North interchange.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 10:24 AM

^^^
I remember something like this being proposed for this lot a few years back. Is this the same proposal finally coming to fruition, or another tower in the same vicinity? I don't remember if they ever built that original tower. It does look like there's another tower up the hill to the East in that West view.

View Facing The West/Freeway

View Facing The East

Last edited by delts145; Oct 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:02 PM

three things about this building that I wish they would do...

1. Make it a bit thinner
2. Make it 4 stories taller
3. Move it to down town Provo

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:06 AM

Mike, It would seem like there are a lot of projects around Lehi that are pretty far along in the construction process. If you get a chance snap a few pics for us while your out and about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highrise_Mike View Post
I do work for Lehi as a planner, and as far as I know there isn't anything taller than UCCU coming down the pipe soon but I've heard conversations about possibly going up to 10 floors. TP and TM have height restrictions but the city doesn't so things could go up! I am always encouraging taller buildings but to go beyond the 5 or 6 story height the cost of fire protection keeps most developers from doing it. Once property values increase enough then it could outweigh that cost.

I would hate to think all this office development in Lehi takes away from downtown SLC but I'm surprised to see some of the projects we're getting up there too! The map that shows future areas in Lehi covers most of what is around Thanksgiving Point and TM but there is property along 2100 N west of the Jordan River with commercial zoning that I have seen some concepts with more office and retail space. It may take some time before we see anything out there but the City and Camp Williams are working on a sewer line out there that could get some things moving. Honestly I'd rather see things build out in TP and TM before things develop out west. I could talk all day on this stuff but I will post on here as we get some good submittals!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:55 PM

Lehi-based Vivint debuts innovation facility

Jason Lee - Deseret News

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-facility.html

Vivint’s Innovation Center marked its grand opening in Lehi Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014. The building is 125,000 square feet and has 320 employees. (Vivint)

Last edited by delts145; Oct 22, 2014 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:06 PM
Wen Lambo

Part of the University Place overhaul, I saw this in the paper the otherday...

http://www.heraldextra.com/business/...611f6dca8.html

"OREM -- It will be almost like having one of those old, huge drive-in movie screens inside when Cinemark completes its new XD theater at University Mall early next summer.

Cinemark and Orem City announced Tuesday the theater chain has submitted plans to add a 300-seat XD theater to the current theaters at University Mall. The Premium Large Format (PLF) makes the fourth wall of the theater the whole screen from top to bottom and side to side, according to Bryan Jeffries, Cinemark national marketing director.

An XD screen is comparable to an IMax screen, but the XD is solely a Cinemark product and trademark.

"There are only 107 XD screens nationally," Jeffries said. "Not every theater can have it.

"This will be the fifth XD theater in the Wasatch Front. There are screens in Farmington, Draper, West Jordan and West Valley."

Jeffries said the Salt Lake and Utah county markets have always been good for Cinemark and the University Mall theaters are some of its busiest..."

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 9:19 PM
Closed account

Sale closes on Midtown Village; Orem gets $2.9 million -
October 24, 2014 5:08 pm • Genelle Pugmire DAILY HERALD4
OREM -- Paid in full.

That is what the city of Orem and other subcontractors heard Thursday afternoon when the partnership of the Ritchie Group and Allen Kreutzkamp closed on the sale of Midtown Village, a defunct mix-used development in the heart of Orem.

At the closing, Orem city received a $2.9 million check that takes care of payments left from a Special Improvement District Bond. The SID was issued to help build a public parking structure at Midtown, and has been the bane of some residents who disagreed with the city's involvement since the beginning.

The Midtown Village Project, started in 2004 and was advertised as the "it" place to live and shop. Hale Center Theater Orem was going to build a new theater on site. By 2007 the real estate market plummeted and the development went into bankruptcy, then foreclosure. Litigation followed....

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca..._medium=direct

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West