HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Chinatown Supermarket opens in South Salt Lake
Quote:
SOUTH SALT LAKE — More than 100 people eagerly filed into South Salt Lake's newest business Wednesday behind a larger-than-life dancing lion and a band of drummers

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:09 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I've been waiting for this for a long time. I always stop at the similar mall in Vegas when I'm there. I'm going to go there tonight.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:49 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I'm glad they finally did somthing usfull with that old Grand Central / Fred Meyer building and property.... It has looked horrible for years. The Chinese strip mall is a huge improvement. :-)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
I've been waiting for this for a long time. I always stop at the similar mall in Vegas when I'm there. I'm going to go there tonight.
Let us know how it goes

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I'm glad they finally did somthing usfull with that old Grand Central / Fred Meyer building and property.... It has looked horrible for years. The Chinese strip mall is a huge improvement. :-)
Ah, so that's where it's actually located. Somehow, I never really connected the former announcements with that location. Anyway, very much agree. Finally they're putting that big dumpy lot to good use. It's been a long time coming.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 5:37 AM

Unfortunately the renderings for the cottonwood mall site are old. The redesign on the site is being done right now. The shortsighted residents voted down the village portion of the project which allowed for greater density. What they will build will more than likely be something along the lines of Jordan landing. Such a shame.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 2:27 PM
West bench livin'

I can report that the re-construction of Valley Fair is well underway on the the north end of the mall with a complete re-working of the north entrance and additional outside facing retail. Sadly, my camera wasn't working well to take some shots...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 8:00 AM

Riverton Park / Dome Church replica

The work on the dome church replica in Riveron Park has been extremely slow. There will be weeks at a time where nothing happens at all.

Here's a recent update, although nothing has changed on it for a week. They've added some dark red brick with a dark beige brick base. To the right, you can see the main pavilion of the park under construction.

Dome Church, Riverton 081214
by stenar, on Flickr

Brick detail

Brick Detail 081214
by stenar, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 10:54 PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ughes.html.csp
It looks like in addition to the Smiths now there is going to be a new theater going in at the old Cottonwood Mall site. Maybe it is picking up some more momentum than we are even seeing. It does stink for the movie theater right across the street, but that was an older one anyway I guess. Hopefully this site will turn into something good.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 9:41 PM

I wrote up a post about it as well. Although it is great news that the project is moving forward, the area needs better transit options to accommodate the growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerop View Post
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ughes.html.csp
It looks like in addition to the Smiths now there is going to be a new theater going in at the old Cottonwood Mall site. Maybe it is picking up some more momentum than we are even seeing. It does stink for the movie theater right across the street, but that was an older one anyway I guess. Hopefully this site will turn into something good.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
I wrote up a post about it as well. Although it is great news that the project is moving forward, the area needs better transit options to accommodate the growth.
Your post is a tad inaccurate. The 45/228 combine to make 15-minute frequencies at peak hours. But the situation actually improves starting as soon as this Monday. The 45 will come every 15 minutes all day and connect directly to FrontRunner. The 220 and 228 already connect directly to downtown and the U and the 220 and 45 run until 11 pm. Point being: by SLC standards, this development will have okay transit service.

My worry is how this project faces inward, not outward onto existing streets. How cool would it have been if this project directly fronted Highland Drive and Murray-Holladay Road? I know the creek forms a barrier on Highland, but still.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
Your post is a tad inaccurate. The 45/228 combine to make 15-minute frequencies at peak hours. But the situation actually improves starting as soon as this Monday. The 45 will come every 15 minutes all day and connect directly to FrontRunner. The 220 and 228 already connect directly to downtown and the U and the 220 and 45 run until 11 pm. Point being: by SLC standards, this development will have okay transit service.

My worry is how this project faces inward, not outward onto existing streets. How cool would it have been if this project directly fronted Highland Drive and Murray-Holladay Road? I know the creek forms a barrier on Highland, but still.
I went off the current schedule, but I can add the new schedule information. My main point is as stated that it will be the largest project of its kind not adjacent to rail. But thanks for the new schedule info, I'll had those changes. I think a BRT would be a great fit for the area and would be cheaper than rail. Imagine a BRT going along the 45 route and then connecting to Trax and Frontrunner in Murray.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 8:10 PM

Facade goes up on Park City Film Studios

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...m-Studios.html

The facade is up and roof beams are being placed for Park City Film Studios, Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2014, in Park City. The $125 million, 134,000-square-foot project will be a digital movie studio and will include special-effects stages, restaurants, a hotel and a film school. The studio is just off I-40 near the Park City/Kamas exit is slated to be finished in 2016 or 2017.
Tom Smart, Deseret News

Last edited by delts145; Oct 1, 2014 at 1:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:47 PM

A letter to the editor from the Salt Lake Tribune:

"Letter: Central Pointe project should be unique
First Published Aug 25 2014 05:48 pm • Last Updated Aug 25 2014 05:48 pm

Finally it looks like the Central Pointe project in South Salt Lake will become a reality.

The 12 acres owned by the city stand on the west side of 2200 South State Street on the new streetcar line. The Boyer Company is in negotiations with the city to develop it. Construction should begin next year with completion in 2016.

I hope the Boyer Company and the city remember to develop the area with a central theme and a personality that is distinctively different from other shopping areas.

Bob LeMone

South Salt Lake"

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:51 PM

I saw on Fox 13 news today that the AISU school officially opened. (formerly 49th Street Galleria, Fun Dome, World's Largest Pet Hospital)

Unfortunately I could not find the link online to post though.

Edit: Found these on the AISU site
Video Rendering of Entrance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6aadA4hiYU
Video Rendering of Commons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmv_h0ZJ10

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:59 PM

I was at the AISU opening (in fact, some of the video from the news was mine). The school should be interesting. They've only just begun to use that space. The next few phases of plans includes football and soccer fields, and a huge, state of the arts performing arts center.
One of the coolest things about the school is their doing a shuttle from the FrontRunner station to the school, encouraging most of the kids to ride mass transit to and from school.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 6:41 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Liked it better as the Fun Dome. Don't we already have enough schools around here in the valley? Hell, there's already TWO other college/schools just down the road......"University of Phoneix" and "Eaglegate College" Seems like there's some kind of a "College" or "University" on just about every corner now where they take your money, but leaves many students jobless with a big loan to then pay off. There becoming just as bad as those title loan places that are everywhere. Is this one different then most others?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 6:43 PM

AISU isn't it a college. It's a charter school, kindergarten through 12th grade.

But I agree, when I was in there, it made me lament the loss of the 49th Street Galleria. It was cool.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 6:44 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
AISU isn't it a college. It's a charter school, kindergarten through 12th grade.

But I agree, when I was in there, it made me lament the loss of the 49th Street Galleria. It was cool.
Oh ok. That makes me feel a bit better about this then. First I thought this was just another money making college.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonkey View Post
A letter to the editor from the Salt Lake Tribune:

"Letter: Central Pointe project should be unique
First Published Aug 25 2014 05:48 pm • Last Updated Aug 25 2014 05:48 pm

Finally it looks like the Central Pointe project in South Salt Lake will become a reality.

The 12 acres owned by the city stand on the west side of 2200 South State Street on the new streetcar line. The Boyer Company is in negotiations with the city to develop it. Construction should begin next year with completion in 2016.

I hope the Boyer Company and the city remember to develop the area with a central theme and a personality that is distinctively different from other shopping areas.

Bob LeMone

South Salt Lake"
Are there any renderings of this development?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West