HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:44 PM
Spem Reduxit

Thanks for the pics riverviewer Looks like they're leaving the Eatons/Bay section for last.

Last edited by Walk then Run; Oct 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM. Reason: grammer

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 12:24 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk then Run View Post
Thanks for the pics riverviewer Looks like they're leaving the Eatons/Bay section for last.
You can't even tell anything is happening from Main St. I think they are leaving the façade as a pedestrian safety barrier.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 11:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton council to get events centre update today
Monday, October 20, 2014
Times and Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

Moncton’s city manager, Jacques Dubé, will update council and the public on the city’s downtown events centre project when council meets tonight.

Council will also receive presentations from the Greater Moncton Dragon Boat Festival, the YMCA of Greater Moncton and the organizers of the Harrison Trimble High School Hangar Dance.

There will also be a presentation regarding the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015 and FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup Canada. Sandra Gage from the national organizing committee and Stéphane Delisle, the venue general manager for Moncton, will make the presentation.

The meeting starts at 5 p.m. in the council chamber on the ground floor of Moncton City Hall.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 1:31 AM

Well, as I previously thought construction of the events center is planned to begin this Spring assuming everything falls into place. That means after a long wait to see this project begin we're down to the last 7-8 months. If construction starts in the Spring, I'm hopeful this will also bring much more construction activity to the area.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 12:00 PM

I wonder if the new Liberal gov't will honour the previous PC gov't's promises of funding?
I also wonder about the feds, who have never pledged any funding and without which this project is in big trouble. I'm hoping the feds are just waiting until we get closer to the election date before jumping on board.
I have no idea, however, if it is common for a new provincial government to bail on commitments made by their predecessor.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 12:06 PM

The Federal side is still a bit of an unknown, but probably a safer bet once we get close to the election call one way or another.

As for the provincial side of it, Moncton is seeking that information already.

Probably the Liberals will delay a bit, say they need to examine the books and such; but I suspect they'll probably come on board eventually.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
The Federal side is still a bit of an unknown, but probably a safer bet once we get close to the election call one way or another.

As for the provincial side of it, Moncton is seeking that information already.

Probably the Liberals will delay a bit, say they need to examine the books and such; but I suspect they'll probably come on board eventually.
WEll with Brian Gallant's 900million dollar infrastructure plane there will be plenty of money for that project LOL... I think it will be part of a stimulus plan that he wants to put forward... Remember it will also be part of his job creation platform too LOL...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:30 PM

Presentation by City Manager

PMI NB is hosting a lunch and learn Thursday, November 6th, 2014 at Venn Garage. Jacques Dube, City of Moncton, City Manager will be presenting 'Moncton Downtown Centre: Transforming a Vision into Reality.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:26 AM
Random Contributor

Met and old Purolator call center coming down now.

Pictures on City's Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/cityofmonct...type=1&theater

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes, things will progress quickly now that the demolition has reached the main Street side of the mall.

The whole site will be a vacant lot by the end of November.

There is no question that the new events centre will be built. The only questions are the number of seats, the final configuration, private partners (if any) and confirmation of a federal contribution (either direct or indirect).

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Yes, things will progress quickly now that the demolition has reached the main Street side of the mall.

The whole site will be a vacant lot by the end of November.

There is no question that the new events centre will be built. The only questions are the number of seats, the final configuration, private partners (if any) and confirmation of a federal contribution (either direct or indirect).
One kind of has to the that Crombie is going to be a partner since they asked them to leave part of the building standing (presumably just framework) I can see it being attached to the other terminal building and becoming like a small mall.

I had proposed that in one of my paint drawings before haha except I had the mall running along main at.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 2:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Update from Councillor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page:

City Manager Jacques Dube gave his verbal update {at council meeting) on the proposed DT Centre. He told us that there have been 8 commercially confidential meetings with the two proponents (Ellis Don and Bird Construction, i.e.,4 each). The deadline for the RFPs is November 7th and it is anticipated that the preferred proponent will be selected before Dec. 25th...the decision will be debated by Council in private with the recommendation coming to a Public session of Council. He anticipates that January and February will be taken up with final legal and financial aspects with construction beginning in early Spring. The provincial funding needs to be re-confirmed due to the change in government and the Federal funding is hoped to be confirmed in the next 2-3 weeks. Highfield Square should be totally demolished by the end of November.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:22 PM

Quote:
So sometime between November 7th and December 25th, we should have a rendering of the project made public?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:49 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:

City Manager Jacques Dube gave his verbal update {at council meeting) on the proposed DT Centre. He told us that there have been 8 commercially confidential meetings with the two proponents (Ellis Don and Bird Construction, i.e.,4 each). The deadline for the RFPs is November 7th and it is anticipated that the preferred proponent will be selected before Dec. 25th...the decision will be debated by Council in private with the recommendation coming to a Public session of Council. He anticipates that January and February will be taken up with final legal and financial aspects with construction beginning in early Spring. The provincial funding needs to be re-confirmed due to the change in government and the Federal funding is hoped to be confirmed in the next 2-3 weeks. Highfield Square should be totally demolished by the end of November.
Awesome!! Very hopeful sounding update...heres hoping the funding is all squared away and we get a rendering for Christmas (the best type of present we could hope for on this site )

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 9:38 PM

Interesting that the provincial funding needs to be reconfirmed, since when it was announced the current interim leader of the PCs was very clear that the money was irrevocable as it was already budgeted.
And I thought he was the best of that bunch. Hoodwinked again I guess. And they wonder why people don't vote. How sad.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 1:06 AM

fascinating thread..
exciting news for this event centre!
Is there a seating capacity listed for this development yet?
I really hope they build it with the potential to increase its capacity later. The current major arenas in Saskatchewan such as in Saskatoon, Regina & Moose Jaw can each add over a thousand seats each still..

Quote:
Just to flesh out the above discussion…….

Largest Arenas in Canada (Wikipedia)

#1 Bell Centre (Montreal) - 21,273
#2 Saddledome (Calgary) - 19,289
#3 Canadian Tire Centre (Ottawa) - 19,153
#4 Air Canada Centre (Toronto) - 18,819
#5 Rogers Arena (Vancouver) - 18,810
#6 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton) - 17,383
#7 Rexall Place (Edmonton) - 16,839
#8 Pacific Coliseum (Vancouver) - 16,281
#9 Credit Union Centre (Saskatoon) - 15,195
#10 Colisee Pepsi (Quebec City) - 15,127
#11 MTS Centre (Winnipeg) - 15,005
#12 Metro Centre (Halifax) - 10,595
#13 Civic Centre (Ottawa) - 9,862
#14 Budweiser Gardens (London) - 9,100
#15 Memorial Auditorium (Kitchener) - 7,268
#16 Save-on-Foods Centre (Victoria) - 7,006
#17 Moncton Coliseum (Moncton) - 6,554
#18 WFCU Centre (Windsor) - 6,500
#19 Mile One Centre (St. John's) - 6,247
#20 Harbour Station (Saint John) - 6,200

So, as it is, Moncton currently has the 17th largest arena in Canada. If a new 7,500 seat downtown events centre gets built, then we would move up on the list to number 15. If we went for a 10,000 seat arena, we would move up to #13.

I still think 7,500 seats is too small for major events. A bare minimum as far as I'm concerned is 9,000. I would still prefer 10,000. We would then be in the big leagues as far as a performance venue is concerned. I think you break a certain psychological threshold if a venue can seat 10,000 or more.
Ricoh Coliseum (7,800) in Toronto
Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre (7,000) in BC
Stampede Corral (6,500) in Calgary,
could maybe be added to this list of arenas 6,200 or larger

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:10 PM

Heard from someone today that the demo of highfield square is on hold till a legal issue is dealt with!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck17 View Post
Heard from someone today that the demo of highfield square is on hold till a legal issue is dealt with!
Kate Letterick just tweeted a picture of The Bay being torn down...

https://twitter.com/LetterickCBC/sta...77109399732224

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 7:10 PM

Angry

Ya i seen that today guess the guy i was talking to was full of crap!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 7:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Kate Letterick just tweeted a picture of The Bay being torn down...

https://twitter.com/LetterickCBC/sta...77109399732224
In some ways this is very sad. I know that better and more exciting things are on the way for this property, but I have fond memories from the early 1990's of taking my young sons to the restaurant on the second floor of the Eaton's department store, snagging a table by the window and watching the trains passing by on the CN mainline while eating lunch. They were fascinated by trains, and watching all this activity would keep them amused all during the meal and this used to be a pleasant family outing that we would do at least once a month. Now this is all just a memory.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces