HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:21 PM

Starbucks is nearly finished on Fairville Blvd @ Plaza Blvd, on the former site of Co-Op.

Also, a Bell Aliant store is under construction in the former location of Benjamin Moore Paints, between First Choice Haircutters and The Co-Operators in that plaza.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:19 PM
Spem Reduxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
Any new stores coming to SJ? Moving back from Moncton and I will really miss it here so I am hoping SJ has some great shopping?
Welcome home! Yes, great shopping without the congestion and mega crowds...well except Wal-Mart ...that place is always nuts no matter where they put a store

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:39 PM
Spem Reduxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
Starbucks is nearly finished on Fairville Blvd @ Plaza Blvd, on the former site of Co-Op.
It will be a nice addition and much better place to get in and out of in the morning for the early brew

Quote:
Also, a Bell Aliant store is under construction in the former location of Benjamin Moore Paints, between First Choice Haircutters and The Co-Operators in that plaza.
This is interesting, rent must be cheaper here. One would think that a better suited traffic area is in or around Lancaster Mall. Overall, this would make it the third Bell Aliant store location in SJ with one out east by McAllister Mall and the other uptown on King Street.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 6:58 PM
Spem Reduxit

Other west side news is that the Staples has closed up shop. All the windows were papered up with posters from Staples management indicating the closure. Not too surprised as every time I went in, there were at least 3-4 people working and only me in the store.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 8:17 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk then Run View Post
Other west side news is that the Staples has closed up shop. All the windows were papered up with posters from Staples management indicating the closure. Not too surprised as every time I went in, there were at least 3-4 people working and only me in the store.
This is a trend for Staples locations across Canada. This must have been one of the last locations to open before head management decided that closing 100+ locations was required for the company to survive.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:22 AM

Looks like a new clothing store is opening on King Street next to Vogue Optical, great news for the street to see another vacancy filled. Also, for anyone that didn't know, Handworks moved into a larger location on King, in the former Gilbert McGloan Gillis law offices. Collectables (women's clothing retailer) moved from Brunswick Square into a vacant storefront on Germain, and said mall is gaining a Peddler's Creek location (the BBQ restaurant currently in KV).

In a bittersweet story, SJ is getting a David's Tea (great!) but it's in McAllister Place (meh). Was hoping for their arrival in the city for a while now, but was crossing my fingers they would choose an Uptown location not unlike their Spring Garden shop/cafe in Halifax.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 8:53 PM
ハルウララ

It confuses me why specialty food stores like David's Tea and frozen Yogurt places would choose a suburban mall over an urban centre. Even if the winter months are a bit brutal Uptown the summers Uptown must trump summers at McAllister. I'd like to see a comparison of rental rates and what, if any, difference the heritage designation makes on Uptown businesses.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:50 PM

I'd be curious to see which one came first in Halifax the one on Spring Garden, or the one in Mic Mac Mall.

Uptown SJ would be a great location as well.

Also I must say Im really glad Second Cup decided to set up uptown instead of over east. that place is typically always busy, only a few empty seats and they have quite the amount of sit down space at that.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 10:42 PM

Why is David's Tea opening up in McAllister? Especially when Teavana is already in there and doesn't seem to do so well.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Why is David's Tea opening up in McAllister? Especially when Teavana is already in there and doesn't seem to do so well.
We just live in a copycat world. Someone sees a frozen yogurt store open, they open one next door to it. Or in Saint John's case, one pops up in every vacant storefront. A gas station does well on a corner, someone else will open one across the intersection from it. (I don't know who came first, but ignoring that) Bass Pro says they'll open in Moncton, Cabelas do too. We'll probably end up with 8 tea stores before they all finally collapse.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
We just live in a copycat world. Someone sees a frozen yogurt store open, they open one next door to it. Or in Saint John's case, one pops up in every vacant storefront. A gas station does well on a corner, someone else will open one across the intersection from it. (I don't know who came first, but ignoring that) Bass Pro says they'll open in Moncton, Cabelas do too. We'll probably end up with 8 tea stores before they all finally collapse.
Sadly, this strategy seems all too true here. I have never seen anything like it. It's surprising more market research isn't done especially by franchises to determine if there is a need and if the owner can actually expect to make a livable wage. Case in point, Mr. Lube - personally, I hope they make a fortune but do we really need this along with the new Valvoline location.....plus all the dealers who offer the same service? How many $30 oil changes do you have to do to pay rent, franchise fees, salaries etc etc.?

I've said it before, I would rather see a lot or building sit empty until a viable business moves in rather than a constant flipping of businesses. It seems people just cross their fingers and hope!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 5:08 PM
ハルウララ

How many sushi places are there in the Uptown again? Like, four or five? Sushi's popular, especially in larger metros (like where I am now), but I can't imagine how multiple survive so close to each other.

It's not a bad thing if we're complaining about there being too many businesses, it just seems strange and not very economically feasible to have many of the same.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It confuses me why specialty food stores like David's Tea and frozen Yogurt places would choose a suburban mall over an urban centre. Even if the winter months are a bit brutal Uptown the summers Uptown must trump summers at McAllister. I'd like to see a comparison of rental rates and what, if any, difference the heritage designation makes on Uptown businesses.
Same here. I'm not a retail expert by any stretch, but based on foot traffic you'd think something potentially impulse-purchase driven like frozen yogurt would do better Uptown, especially on nights with cultural events, sport games, etc., let alone the thousands of high school students roaming around looking for sugar like 6-foot hummingbirds.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 8:37 PM

So in the Relish facebook page today they posted the following.

"We're looking for a great new home in Saint John that will allow us to better serve the Port City!

In the meantime, we're closing our current home while we look. We hope to be back as soon as possible and will announce any developments as they arise. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Do you know a great potential home for Relish? We'd love to hear about it!"

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philster View Post
So in the Relish facebook page today they posted the following.

"We're looking for a great new home in Saint John that will allow us to better serve the Port City!

In the meantime, we're closing our current home while we look. We hope to be back as soon as possible and will announce any developments as they arise. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Do you know a great potential home for Relish? We'd love to hear about it!"
I cant say that I blame them. I enjoy the food the few times that I have had it, but never seem to even think about it when I am dining out mainly based on location.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
I cant say that I blame them. I enjoy the food the few times that I have had it, but never seem to even think about it when I am dining out mainly based on location.
I would have to agree. Great food, great people, but poor location. I hope they can locate a new home that is successful and easy to access.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:09 PM

Relish was taken over by the franchisor as the franchisee couldn't make it.
They will come back once they have a new franchisee.
With all the retail experts on this forum, perhaps one of them will take it on?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Relish was taken over by the franchisor as the franchisee couldn't make it.
They will come back once they have a new franchisee.
With all the retail experts on this forum, perhaps one of them will take it on?
Same thing has happened here in Moncton too, except they're keeping the location (on Main Street) open while they look for a new franchisee.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:36 PM

From what I'm seeing Relish is not doing very well just about anywhere, they used to have a location in Miramichi and it closed down after less than a year being open...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
From what I'm seeing Relish is not doing very well just about anywhere, they used to have a location in Miramichi and it closed down after less than a year being open...
Their product is fantastic, but not $16/combo fantastic. You can get a similar burger in a sit-down restaurant for a tiny bit less.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces