HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 7:28 PM

I caught a glimpse of the Nigeria vs South Korea match from here in Southern Africa as it was being re-broadcast this morning on SuperSport, a major African sports network. Always fun to see my home province on TV when abroad.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 1:41 PM

I think that the attendance numbers are actually not bad for the Under 20's, I think next year when its the actual Womens FIFA world cup, we will see larger crowds, more people travelling for abroad etc. You can see online that the Under 20's seem to draw a lot less than the actual Womens world cup of. I'm already planning on purchasing tickets for next year!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 4:58 PM

I agree and there's gonna be a lot more awareness about the World cup. The u20 wasn't advertised that much but they are already promoting next years event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I think that the attendance numbers are actually not bad for the Under 20's, I think next year when its the actual Womens FIFA world cup, we will see larger crowds, more people travelling for abroad etc. You can see online that the Under 20's seem to draw a lot less than the actual Womens world cup of. I'm already planning on purchasing tickets for next year!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from today's T&T:

FIFA tourney a success in Moncton, officials say
Friday, August 22, 2014
Times and Transcript
By: Tess Allen
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=13658

Organizers and volunteers with the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Canada 2014 say Moncton has much to be proud of in the wake of Wednesday’s final local match, a semifinal between Nigeria and North Korea.

“From the facilities, competition and hospitality point of view… it was a resounding success,” said Codiac Soccer president and event volunteer Dale Briggs, who helped out with ticketing at the FIFA matches held in Moncton over the last month.“I’m very proud of the city and the ability to generate volunteers which give of their time freely and friendlily – that was one of the comments made with the wrap last night … Moncton does itself proud from that perspective.”

Briggs said he’d like to see promotion amped up for next summer’s 2015 Women’s World Cup in efforts to increase attendance, which he said floated just above 4,000 at each local match this year and would have liked to have seen closer to 6,500 or 7,000.

“I think what has to happen is there has to be a recognition that … the Moncton market is very different perhaps from Toronto or Montreal and our market is not the city but rather the Maritime region and likely the Atlantic region,” he said, adding that FIFA officials are anticipating around 20,000 to fill the stands at each match in Moncton next year.

“The promotion has to be done in at least the three Maritime provinces as opposed to just Moncton”

Norval McConnell, who helped man the transportation side of things at this year’s event, couldn’t agree more. He believes organizers will need to do more to promote not only the importance of such an event,but the sport itself in the region.

“Soccer is a growing sport in this area and we have to do more to let people know of the level of play and the excitement of the games,” said McConnell. He added that because soccer is not a large spectator sport in Canada,“there isn’t a following for it yet – at least here.”

McConnell doesn’t believe 20,000 people is an unrealistic goal, but said it will require a“focused plan”that will involve a wider scope of promotion.

“If the Maritimes are going to host something and it happens to be in Moncton because we have the facilities, it’s not really a Moncton event. It’s a Maritime event,” he said.“I think we have to set (20,000) as a target… (but) we need to start putting that plan in place now to be ready for next June.”

As they head into the debriefing period following the conclusion of Moncton’s share of the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Canada 2014, venue general manager Stéphane Delisle said this is certainly something organizers will take into consideration.“We’re relatively happy with how things have gone. We’re excited that not only have we done a great job in Moncton with the volunteers, contractors, staff and everyone involved, but when you look at the big picture, this is one organization that has delivered an international tournament over four cities and we’re really happy as to how we came together as one big team”said Delisle.

“As with any event operator, whether it be (for) a festival or a rock show or a sporting event, we’d like to see more people in the stands. We will certainly, as part of our debrief this fall, (ensure) that people across the Atlantic provinces really understand the opportunity (of the 2015 Women’s World Cup)”

The 2015 Women’s World Cup will be held next summer from June 6 to July 5 with Moncton matches slated for June 9, 13, 15, 17 and 21. The official draw to decide which teams will come to Moncton is slated for Dec.6,but tickets for next summer’s tournament will begin going on sale on Sept. 10.

personal note - I went to several of the matches and I found the atmosphere surrounding the games to be quite neat. The management of the event by FIFA was very professional. I think an average attendance at the games of around 4,000 was decent, and given the size of our city, was respectable given the attendance levels at other host cities.

The article states that they want 20,000 people out to the games next year. This obviously means temporary end zone seating, which is a surprise. I think achieving attendance levels like that for the 2015 event will really be a stretch. While the senior Women's World Cup will be a more prestigious event, and should draw more people, I would imagine 10-12,000 attendance would be a more reasonable expectation.

As an aside, I'm sure that local retailers did benefit from having the event here. I was at the Jump+ store at Champlain Place last week and the entire Nigerian soccer team was there, essentially buying out the store. Sports tourism can be a powerful economic generator…..

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 3:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the City of Moncton website:

July’s building figures in Moncton highest in a decade
August 29, 2014

MONCTON – A combination of residential and retail development, school repairs, and commercial construction combined to push the City of Moncton’s building figures to their highest month of July in the last 10 years.

A total of 128 permits valued at $21.9 million was a substantial increase over 2013’s total of $13.8 million. The second highest total in the last decade was $20.9 million in 2010.

It was welcome news to city officials. The year, up to this point, had been coming in below the last few years.“The big increase in July’s building permit figures signals a strong and continuing economic development of our city,” said Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc.

“What is encouraging is that it represents a good cross-section of interests, from residential to retail and from institutional to government. To grow confidently and prosper, a city needs all these sectors moving forward and this month shows what happens when they do,” he added.

Fuelling the growth was a total of 50 residential construction permits for 193 housing units at a total value of $17.4 million. That brings the year’s total in residential building construction up to $37.9 million.

Commercial and industrial construction combined amounted to $3.2million spread over 28 permits. The highest permit ($1.68 million) was issued to Mapleton Holdings Inc., 90 Wyse St. to construction a 1,453 square metre building for the future Goodlife Fitness. The same firm took out a $50,000 permit for an exterior retrofit and $130,000 for an interior fit-up to create retail space for Chaussures Pop Shoes along with two further shops for future tenants.

Renovations to the existing Pizza Delight restaurant at 1313 Mountain Road amounted to $177,555 while a $179,500 interior fit-up at 360 Elmwood Drive by Tier Too Properties Inc. will create retail space for a new Starbucks.

Total commercial construction permits topped $2.8 million while industrial construction amounted to $426,500.

The highest permit issued in the institutional category was $400,000 to the Province of New Brunswick, Department of Education to replace the metal siding, brick cladding, windows and three entrance doors for Bernice MacNaughton High School.
The Université de Moncton took out a $100,000 building permit to construction temporary partitions to accommodate FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Total institutional construction was valued at $850,000.Total building permits for the year to date are valued at $70,874,493, down from $140,289,597 at this point last year.

Building permit totals for June were $12,932,925, up slightly from June of 2013 at $11,135,197. In May of this year, the total was $13,181,869, down slightly from $15,754,256 in 2013.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 10:25 PM

You can tell summer is coming to and end, the forum has become very quiet the past two weeks.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 2:46 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

You're right. But the end of construction season means the start of speculation season!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 11:12 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting stats about the greater Moncton area from the Colston Property Group website. They are a major developer of (mostly) warehousing and distribution properties in the metro area.

Why Moncton?

Fast-growing, business-friendly - Moncton, long touted as the Hub of the Maritimes, is the ideal place to locate your operation, and the Greater Moncton Area is an excellent place live and work in Atlantic Canada.

- KPMG’s Competitive Alternatives 2012 & 2014 study found Moncton to be the most cost competitive city for business in Canada.
- Greater Moncton is the 5th fastest growing community in Canada with 17.8% growth 2001-2011.
- Bilingual - More than 47% of its population speaks both French and English
- Centrally located, more than 1.3 million live within 2.5 hours of Greater Moncton... more than 1.5 million within 3 hours.
- Convergence of the highway network, rail lines and regional air service positions Greater Moncton as the geographic transportation hub of the Maritimes.
- The excellent highway access is a major reason three of Canada’s ten largest trucking companies are headquartered in Moncton.
- Moncton is home to proven, successful industrial parks, and a broad range of local, national and international businesses.
- There are over 300 firms active in the transportation, logistics and warehousing sector in Greater Moncton.
- In total, these firms employ more than 5,100 people.
- There are more than a dozen mid-sized or large transportation firms, 27 regional distribution centres, as well as air transportation and rail cargo assets.
- Adjusted for the size of the overall workforce, there are more people working in the transportation, logistics and warehousing sector in Greater Moncton than any other metropolitan area across Canada

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 1:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

RIP - Hub Meat Packers

This is apparently their last day of operations.

While this is a loss to the local economy, it is not insurmountable. The plant formerly employed about 1000 workers, but have gradually been cutting back on their workforce over the last 4-5 years so the current closure will only affect maybe 200 people.

Resurgo - we will rise again......

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 1:56 AM

Just wanted to let's yas all know that I'm not a resident of this beautiful city! I'm usually a pretty regular contributor to the Moncton threads anyway as I love the city but I'll likely be more involved now!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Welcome to Moncton Josh!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Just wanted to let's yas all know that I'm not a resident of this beautiful city! I'm usually a pretty regular contributor to the Moncton threads anyway as I love the city but I'll likely be more involved now!
I assume you meant "Now"? Welcome to the Hub city. I wish I could get down there more often, but I'll make due talking about Freddy instead.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:33 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Welcome to New Brunswick Cat_Eyes!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from CBC:

Allied Fibre says Moncton the hub of fibreoptic superhighway
Giant fibre optic cable laid down in 2000 at a cost of $960 million
CBC News Posted: Oct 15, 2014 10:13 PM AT
Last Updated: Oct 15, 2014 10:13 PM AT

Moncton's position as a commercial hub in the Maritimes could once again give it a huge economic boost, but this time the boost would be in the form of a long forgotten underground cable.

The giant fibre optic cable was laid down in 2000 by a company called 360networks at a cost of $960 million.

The company went bankrupt and a new company called Hibernia bought it. It carries a lot of the internet traffic between Europe and North America as well as phone and cable service.

American company Allied Fibre looks for cables like this, in particular where two of these cables cross.

Turns out running underneath Moncton is a second cable from another company, placing the Hub City in the hub of a fibreoptic superhighway.

The cable has the ability to send terabytes of information back and forth between the two continents in less than 60 milliseconds and Allied wants to give local companies direct access to that cable.

George Donovan runs Gojii Games in Moncton, creating internet games that requires access to large amounts of secure bandwidth.

“So all of a sudden we're looking at terabytes of data in 24 to 48 hours that we never thought we would have to manage and if you don't have an infrastructure to deal with that, games go down, customers get frustrated and the opportunity is lost,” he said.

Two years ago he spent a lot of time and money trying to hook up to giant fibre optic cable and wishes he could have done it locally.

Allied Fibre says this would be the first in Atlantic Canada, allowing companies and universities to access multiple internet providers on demand.

Doug Robertson is with Venn and works to promote technology startups in the province. He says this kind of link would be a big attraction for Moncton.

“It's the next wave of our role in the region as a hub in this case a hub as a data centre as a connector for any company that relies heavily on the use of date and manipulation of big data,” he said.

Ben Champoux is with the economic development corporation, which has been renamed 3+.

He says the hook up to the super cable will allow him to recruit new companies he couldn't before.

“Over time we can flirt with the big players the Amazons, Googles, Facebook any one of these that for example have huge data centres,” he said.

Allied Fibre says it's in the final stages of closing on a $2 million building.

personal note - so Moncton could become the server farm capital of eastern Canada. That's great and all, but I don't think that server farms generate that many actual jobs. I could be wrong though.....

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 5:36 PM

I'm looking for a list of major developers here in Moncton and/or in the Maritimes? Could pay some $$ for Service New Brunswick records but....you know.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from today's T&T:

Moncton named one of best places to retire
Thursday, October 30, 2014
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=13966

A new report from Yahoo News suggests Moncton is one of the best places in Canada for cash-strapped retirees to live out their golden years.

Moncton was joined on the list by Halifax, Stratford, Ont., Brandon, Man., and Lacombe, Alta.

“It made the list because of its cheap real estate,” the report’s author said of Moncton.

“The average price of a home was $158,680 in September, according to the Canadian Real Estate Association. The average price of a one-bedroom rental apartment as of April is $626, according to the CMHC.”

Noting the city will celebrate its 125th birthday next year, and mentioning that Reader’s Digest on separate occasions named Moncton the most honest and most polite city in Canada, the report noted, “New Brunswick has the second highest number of family physicians per 100,000 in Canada,” and that,“a monthly bus pass for seniors goes for $47, while gas was going for as low as $119.9 as of Oct. 25, Gas Buddy reports.”

It further said New Brunswick’s “consumer price index is lower than that of the country as a whole, and that the city is “great for walking: its four parks, including Riverfront, with a trail that follows the Petitcodiac River, have groomed trails that are open year-round.”

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Colour for the page:

Moncton City Hall on Coronation Day - June 2nd, 1953
From the Vintage Moncton Facebook Page.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 2:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from CBC:

Moncton warned about future spending as economy cools

Moncton’s chief financial officer is warning city councillors that they cannot keep spending the way they have grown accustomed to in recent years.

John Martin will unveil the city’s proposed budget for next year at Monday night’s council meeting. He will use the presentation to remind city politicians that the local economy is not growing as fast as it used to.

The warning comes as the city is embarking on a $107-million future downtown sports and entertainment centre.

Martin said he is worried about the number of major projects on the city's wish list.

“So when your revenues are falling and your expenses are growing, you've got a problem that you have to deal with,” he said.

The city wants to build a new police station for an estimated $42 million, along with a new fire station, a recreation centre in the northwest part of the city and it wants to repurpose the Moncton Coliseum

But the city has lost $6 million in provincial grants, as well there is less property tax coming into city coffers because of a stagnant housing market.

He said there were only five subdivisions created last year as opposed to 15 the year before.

The cooling off of the city’s housing markets means revenues may not grow at the same rate as they did in previous years

“If you remember, seven or eight years ago we were seeing lots of growth in the city, fast, rapid growth. growth in the value of our homes, things like that,” he said.

“We're seeing that that is slowing down a bit. There's a large inventory of houses that need to be sold or moved. And until those things happen, the prices are going to be suppressed and that will suppress the amount that we'll receive as far as an assessment lift.”

On top of slowing revenues, Moncton has to dig deep to pay for a large, unexpected expense.

The city needs to pay $1.2 million for RCMP services after the June deaths of three constables.

Martin said he can just balance the budget for next year but that's it.

“We have a hole in our revenue that we have to fix,” the chief financial officer said.

“And until we do, I'm encouraging them to take the time to sit back and think about it strategically.”

Personal note - definitely some warning signs here. Of all the projects the city wants to undertake, probably the first to go would be the community recreational centre in the northwest end. This saddens me because this is the part of the city that I live in. The new police station might have to be sacrificed as well, although a new station downtown would be a potential stimulus to further growth in the core.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 2:27 PM

Never read the comments. Of course the first CBC comment is to "Nix the Convention Centre", which would be extremely short sighted at this point. Yes, it is expensive. But cancelling it now would be throwing away everything that has been sunk into it now, along with all the growth it would bring, and literally leave a big hole in the downtown core which helps no one.

The rec centre and the police station seem to be ideal things to defer for a year or two at least, until things stabilize a bit. As is, until the Convention Centre is realized (and to a lesser extent until the Pipeline and other big provincial projects kick off to boost the overall economy and maybe restore some transfer payments), budgeting is probably going to be a bit tight and more guesswork than usual.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They have completed the seeding for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup in Ottawa today.

France, England, Colombia and Mexico will be in Group "F" based in Moncton.

Not too shabby at all!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces