HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balugajames View Post
I understand, we all want towers, especially since they are never built anymore except in tier 1 and 2 cities. I hear the same things on the Denver forums.

Cheers!
Thanks for your reply and that valuable information.

What some naysayers and I are saying about this complex, was that this piece is sitting on probably the most valuable property in downtown Tucson. And a sleazebag developer will likely build (or not) a three floor cookie cutter strip mall 'luxury' apartment complex.

I wouldn't have any problem if someone build a pleasant looking 2 or even 1 floor building at that spot.

Let me add, about a mile from that spot and right by the U of Arizona sits several (and more) 10 plus floor buildings - away from downtown.

Hey, if you think it's ok to build that crap at that spot, I'll respect your opinion.

Cheers!

This would look great at that spot .

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 11:03 PM

The Auld Dubliner has closed. It will be interesting to see what goes in there!

http://tucson.com/thisistucson/eat/u...d776d1f37.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
The Auld Dubliner has closed. It will be interesting to see what goes in there!

http://tucson.com/thisistucson/eat/u...d776d1f37.html
They seemed busy to me, although I haven't been in years.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:27 PM

New mid-rise apartment building coming to downtown Tucson

Too bad they didn't stick to the original footprint. Which brings to mind comments about "towers", "skyscrapers", "mid-rise"...Each parcel(s) has its circumstance, size, location, opportunity. The 6-7 story "buildings", not mid-rises, are appropriate in my opinion for the two parking lots at the corners of Stone and Broadway. I would have liked to see taller, but the risk, timing and size of the lots made the 6-7 stories a success. However, these future loooong 5-6 story buildings...come on. Just because some of us don't always fall under the "something is better than nothing" category...or "any infill is good infill" team does not make that person a "tower"-only guy. For myself, I take each development on a project by project basis.

The 3 large horizontal apartment complexes will be architectural disasters. They are not mid-rises, they are not towers, they are taller than usual apartment complexes. A Design Review Committee should comment, condition, break-up, or stop the redundant facades, architecture, texture, patterns, etc. What's sad is that its typically the local developers building/proposing this stuff. Outside developers seem to have a better vision on larger scale projects. Again, the Main Square developments have been extraordinary. The "Sol" and "Luna" had the same owners, but built at close-to-maximum height into 2 buildings. If this was downtown by a local developer, it would have been ONE complex at 5-6 stories.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:10 PM

We all want architectural masterpieces in downtown Tucson, but we have to be realistic. This is a very fragile market, and there are not dozens of out-of-state developers lined up to invest in what, potentially, could be very risky .

My argument regarding this latest proposal, the "Rendezvous" is that it will destroy a perfectly good, although small, urban green area. This is a situation where going taller to preserve that green space would be a better option, IMO.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
We all want architectural masterpieces in downtown Tucson, but we have to be realistic. This is a very fragile market, and there are not dozens of out-of-state developers lined up to invest in what, potentially, could be very risky .

My argument regarding this latest proposal, the "Rendezvous" is that it will destroy a perfectly good, although small, urban green area. This is a situation where going taller to preserve that green space would be a better option, IMO.
We have the same problem in Phoenix. Everyone wants new Class A highrise office buildings but the Downtowns just aren't hot enough to attract that kind of demand.

Keep building these mid-rise apartments and once the population creates a desirable area with restaurants and activity office development will come. that's what happened in Tempe, Scottsdale, etc.

Why would a company build a vastly more expensive vertical suburban office park in a dead downtown when they could build a cheaper office park a few miles away.

There needs to be a reason to build downtown, once the population Is there, the offices will follow.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:31 AM
City Rider

Renderings of The Mark

Early renderings of The Mark at Park & Broadway.

http://www.rinconheights.org/the-mar...-broadway.html

Last edited by chenley333; Jan 11, 2017 at 3:41 AM. Reason: Picture didn't post

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenley333 View Post

I'm really impressed with that development. A case-in-point of how/where a long horizontal structure is appropriate on the fringes of and not IN downtown.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenley333 View Post

Good find. I'm hoping they get talked into some more variation on the roofline of the Broadway-facing portion. It's a little bland as is.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:47 PM

Feds pick preferred route for possible Tucson-Phoenix passenger railway

More apartments coming downtown

"....Broker Crystal McGuire-Moore says the complex opened in November with 40 units to lease and the downtown market's so hot there are only 10 units left"

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:24 PM

Houghton Town Center Expands Footprint, Breaks Ground on 56K SF New Retail

The same 3 stores will be opening soon in Marana at the AZ Pavilions.

Good retail growth.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:27 PM

Not sure if its a good or bad thing, but through the Open Houses I heard that the developers for the Ronstadt project are looking at adding a 3rd plaza on the corner of 6th and Congress and adjusting the footprints of the structures.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Good find. I'm hoping they get talked into some more variation on the roofline of the Broadway-facing portion. It's a little bland as is.
I totally agree, too flat. And if you're going to make such a flat roof there should be green space added. From the looks of it a cool space with trees and a view would be nice.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:31 PM

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:13 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/tucson.co...?client=safari

"One large furniture retailer is expected to enter the Tucson market this year, but specifics have not been made public"

May not be likely but an IKEA would be awesome

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:30 AM

American Airlines may collect $1Million from Tucson Chamber for the new JFK flight under performing, cut back to seasonal.

Arizona Daily Star - Tucson airport marks big 2016 but nonstop New York service falls short

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:14 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/tucson.co...?client=safari

"One large furniture retailer is expected to enter the Tucson market this year, but specifics have not been made public"

May not be likely but an IKEA would be awesome

Agreed that an IKEA would be sweet, but probably an American Furniture Warehouse or similar.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
American Airlines may collect $1Million from Tucson Chamber for the new JFK flight under performing, cut back to seasonal.

Arizona Daily Star - Tucson airport marks big 2016 but nonstop New York service falls short
Our family of 5 are taking a trip to NYC this summer...looking at tix last month, for 5 passengers it is cheaper to fly from Phx considering one vehicle to drive. If it was just one or 2 of us...considering the gas and mileage, it would be about the same to fly out of Tucson. But the higher costs round trip to/from Tucson adds up with 5...totaling to over $200 more.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Our family of 5 are taking a trip to NYC this summer...looking at tix last month, for 5 passengers it is cheaper to fly from Phx considering one vehicle to drive. If it was just one or 2 of us...considering the gas and mileage, it would be about the same to fly out of Tucson. But the higher costs round trip to/from Tucson adds up with 5...totaling to over $200 more.
The article states flights with a layover are cheaper, but that isn't what I found just searching Google flights.

Anyway while I was there I priced PHX and TUS and there were a number of days this month that TUS to JFK was as cheap or cheaper than PHX ($150 each way). When you go 4 or 5 months out though, PHX holds steady while TUS really jumps up.

BTW, check the price of flying from TUS and connecting in PHX vs just flying from PHX. Sometimes it's only another $10 or so... other times it just about doubles the price of the trip. I don't understand why catching that connection to TUS varies so widely, but it can be ludicrously inexpensive.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 2:06 PM

Downtown Tucson getting new Even Stevens sandwich shop

Photo: Andi Berlin

Quote:
The Utah sandwich chain Even Stevens is opening its first store in Tucson, inside the historic The Julian Drew building downtown.

Workers are currently renovating two storefronts on the western side of the 100-year-old building at 178 and 180 E. Broadway.

For every sandwich sold, they donate another sandwich to nonprofit organizations in the area. Last week the chain announced it donated its millionth sandwich.

The chain, which originated in Salt Lake City in 2014, is quickly moving into Arizona. Over the last few months it's opened shops in Phoenix, Gilbert and also Tempe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest