HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 1:14 AM

Downtown Tucson isn't that big. And 10 floors + 10 floors + 10 floors = 30 floor building.
Where else can you build a tall building in Tucson.

The reason downtown is having difficulty developing 30+ floor buildings is not lack of demand, it's the usual NIMBY's that are against such height and the developers that don't have enough $$$.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 9:10 PM

Haven't written in a long while here...but heading back to Zona so can't resist...

Dude, dude, dude...(shaking head)

Really? Demand for a 30 story building in Tucson? What's the vacancy rate of the only "real" high-rise there? 30%? When that baby is 90% leased, then maybe we can talk about demand...

On the plus side, the recent news about Caterpillar is HUGELY important for Tucson and bodes well for (eventually) real commercial growth in DT Tucson.

But I don't see another spec high-rise going up there...EVER. Somebody like Caterpillar would have to want to move there and need 200,000 sq ft before it's even possible.

Do I hope I'm wrong? Of course! I've been dreaming about another high-rise in Tucson since 1987, bro. But the world is different. Downtowns are coming back but Tucson needs a far stronger economic base before another spec tower is coming on the scene.

That said, there's nothing wrong with DENSITY. A nice mass of 10-story buildings is all a 1 million metro should really ever expect in these fractured times...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Haven't written in a long while here...but heading back to Zona so can't resist...

Dude, dude, dude...(shaking head)

Really? Demand for a 30 story building in Tucson? What's the vacancy rate of the only "real" high-rise there? 30%? When that baby is 90% leased, then maybe we can talk about demand...

On the plus side, the recent news about Caterpillar is HUGELY important for Tucson and bodes well for (eventually) real commercial growth in DT Tucson.

But I don't see another spec high-rise going up there...EVER. Somebody like Caterpillar would have to want to move there and need 200,000 sq ft before it's even possible.

Do I hope I'm wrong? Of course! I've been dreaming about another high-rise in Tucson since 1987, bro. But the world is different. Downtowns are coming back but Tucson needs a far stronger economic base before another spec tower is coming on the scene.

That said, there's nothing wrong with DENSITY. A nice mass of 10-story buildings is all a 1 million metro should really ever expect in these fractured times...
Dude, there's a proposed 23+ story building downtown. Bro, read several postings back

Kaneui's links, http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=788

http://tiboaz.biz/2015/12/15/one-sou...sion-possible/

Last edited by farmerk; Jun 11, 2016 at 9:08 AM. Reason: added links

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 11:22 PM

There's a proposal that I might actually get laid this year. Proposals...meh.

Seriously, don't mean to be a jerk or douse anyone's fantasies but if you're referring to that condo tower that a bunch of 25-year-olds are proposing...would be very surprised if that has any real teeth. I pray I'm wrong though...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
There's a proposal that I might actually get laid this year. Proposals...meh.

Lolz

We are all hoping as well. But you never know. Who would have thought CAT was putting their headquarters here? Although it makes sense to do so, I'm sure there was other good candidates. I think when more big projects like the arena site and ronstadt center come to fruition, others will start believing more. Our downtown is on the brink of becoming something wonderful. We just need a few more years to see the difference!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 6:01 PM

LIHTC approved for 2 downtown projects

Mayor Rothschild announced on Friday's Buckmaster show that Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) were recently approved by the state for both The Gadsden Co. (West End Station project) and the Tucson Diocese (The Marist at Cathedral Square).

http://www.buckmastershow.com/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
Mayor Rothschild announced on Friday's Buckmaster show that Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) were recently approved by the state for both The Gadsden Co. (West End Station project) and the Tucson Diocese (The Marist at Cathedral Square).

http://www.buckmastershow.com/
Looks like the West Point Apartments were also awarded funding.

https://housing.az.gov/sites/default...or_Posting.pdf

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:17 PM

Looking through last year's LIHTC allocations, I noticed that only one Tucson project received funding - 7th Avenue Commons. The website for the project, which I don't believe we've discussed before, can be found here.

Rendering

Current status of site

PRO indicates that the developers submitted an application for a neighborhood notification in April, so it looks to be a little behind schedule.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 1:44 AM

Downtown Links

http://downtownlinks.info/downtown-l...date-may-2016/

A link to a May 2016 update of downtown links project. A final design of the new alternative route from Broadway/ aviation to I-10. The final design is mainly a new alignment showing a straight roadway from aviation to the new barraza aviation instead of the current curve coming from aviation onto congress. The update also reveals two additional artwork pieces, a grand piano and a harp.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 5:48 PM

One West Broadway - 061216

AC Marriott - 061216

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:03 AM

1 West photo shows 3+ project sites

One West photo shows One West, but also the future West Point Apartments (Cope's LIHTC-approved project at the Westerner) and also Marist on Cathedral Square (FSL's LIHTC-approved project at current Diocese of Tucson building). This should be a very different view in a couple of years. Also of note: Right turn only sign points at HSL project and Karber's Tower could someday rise above the palm trees at left.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:45 PM

The City Council will be voting next week on a sale of the Access Tucson building at 124 East Broadway as well as the adjacent parking lot on the corner of Broadway and 6th. City staff has recommended that the sale require preservation of the exterior of the existing building.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
The City Council will be voting next week on a sale of the Access Tucson building at 124 East Broadway as well as the adjacent parking lot on the corner of Broadway and 6th. City staff has recommended that the sale require preservation of the exterior of the existing building.
That sounds good! I walk by that building almost every day and it is in need of some work. Do we know who wants to buy it yet?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
That sounds good! I walk by that building almost every day and it is in need of some work. Do we know who wants to buy it yet?
City council item includes a blurb that an adjacent property owner is interested but also says several potential buyers have inquired.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:23 AM

Took some pictures downtown today.

Sorry, took the pictures, put them on Imgur, but they're not showing up here for some reason when I put the url into the image uploader. And now I can't delete the post either. I'm a failure, LOL.

New apartments replacing Downtown Motor Hotel (taken from alley on east side of building)

New apartments replacing Downtown Motor Hotel (taken from Stone)

Two pictures of Stone Avenue Townhouses (taken from McCormick, directly south)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 8:25 PM

Fixed your mistake, you had http:// twice in the URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Took some pictures downtown today.

Sorry, took the pictures, put them on Imgur, but they're not showing up here for some reason when I put the url into the image uploader. And now I can't delete the post either. I'm a failure, LOL.

New apartments replacing Downtown Motor Hotel (taken from alley on east side of building)

New apartments replacing Downtown Motor Hotel (taken from Stone)

Two pictures of Stone Avenue Townhouses (taken from McCormick, directly south)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
Fixed your mistake, you had http:// twice in the URL
Thanks for the help. I was hoping someone more tech-savy than I would help me. Also want to give a thanks to ProfessorMole for messaging me with help too. Since it was fixed here I'm going to leave my post as is, but otherwise, Prof.Mole, I'd have fixed it with your help.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Looking through last year's LIHTC allocations, I noticed that only one Tucson project received funding - 7th Avenue Commons. The website for the project, which I don't believe we've discussed before, can be found here.

PRO indicates that the developers submitted an application for a neighborhood notification in April, so it looks to be a little behind schedule.
It looks like the Downtown Links realignment of 6th St. will go right through the south half of that block, so they may be holding off to either build their project concurrently or wait until after the road is finished.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 6:22 AM
Skyriser

I admittedly don't check this thread as often as I should, but if any of you should have technical problems, please let me know by private message.

That's what I'm (otherwise) here for.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
It looks like the Downtown Links realignment of 6th St. will go right through the south half of that block, so they may be holding off to either build their project concurrently or wait until after the road is finished.
Yeah, this is what I figured. Doesn't make much sense to start construction before it's realigned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest