HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 4:26 PM

You guys are going to love Blake's. Sooo good!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 3:23 PM

No renderings yet, but nine townhomes are being developed on the empty lot just south of the Downtown Clifton on Stone.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 4:00 PM

Reflections...

1) Thank you for passing along TIBO...love that website.

2) I'm extremely excited about the Marist on Cathedral Square. I love the architecture/design of the building and how it re-purposes a parcel in a denser way.

3) In addition to the Marist, the architecture of One West Broadway, Main Gate Residence Inn, and even City Park (although the open windows concern me) is something I'm looking forward to. I'm holding my opinion on the AC Hotel by Marriot until it is built...and the Ronstadt Center I'm guessing will get more refinement as time passes on.

4) The term apartment "complex" scares me in regards to the re-purposing of La Placita. I've also heard apartment "towers" which is more suitable and appropriate for downtown.

5) Lastly, with all the residential moving at a fast pace east of Granada...I wonder how this will affect the Norville development and west downtown proposals...???

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Reflections...

4) The term apartment "complex" scares me in regards to the re-purposing of La Placita. I've also heard apartment "towers" which is more suitable and appropriate for downtown.
That is exactly what I thought. I can picture them rolling out plans for like a 3 story, multiple building, typical apartment complex. I am really worried about what they are going to put there. HSL scares me ahahah. I hope it is at least a mid rise with street level retail at the very least.. I mean it is such a large property with so many possibilities.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 10:54 PM

To stay downtown, diocese will restore Tucson's Cathedral Square

'4) The term apartment "complex" scares me in regards to the re-purposing of La Placita. I've also heard apartment "towers" which is more suitable and appropriate for downtown. '

If that does happen, I hope the City Council rejects that classical cheap grade cookie cutter apartment complex design. We have enough of those in Tucson.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 2:42 AM

Rio Nuevo buying vacant lot to build new Greyhound station

Rio Nuevo is buying a vacant lot near East Broadway and South Euclid Avenue to build a new bus terminal for Greyhound.

The 1-acre site cost $575,000. It’s located at 801 E. 12th St., behind the OfficeMax complex.

Greyhound wanted to be near Interstate 10, and the site puts them on the alignment for Downtown Links, a project that will allow buses to get to I-10 without going through downtown traffic.

It’s was Greyhound’s top choice of 12 sites Rio Nuevo showed the company’s representatives, said Rio Nuevo chairman Fletcher McCusker. It’s also close to the University of Arizona, and the majority of people who board a Greyhound bus in Tucson are college students, he said.

The property is in escrow. On Tuesday the Rio Nuevo board in a series of votes authorized an appraisal, a survey and an environmental inspection.

Rio Nuevo’s total budget is $1.7 million, including construction of a 1,500-square-foot terminal that would be open later this year. Rio Nuevo will start accepting proposals for the work.

Rio Nuevo will own the site and lease it to Greyhound.

The building will be state of the art, board member Edmund Marquez said. “It’s going to be beautiful — a huge upgrade to the trailer they’re in now.”

Greyhound has been in a portable building near Broadway and I-10 in downtown Tucson since 2006, when the city relocated the terminal from a site on Congress Street next to the Rialto Theatre to make way for student apartments. It had been at the Congress Street site since 1969.

Greyhound believed the relocation was to be temporary and thought the city was legally obligated to build a new terminal, McCusker said.

Meanwhile, Rio Nuevo was trying to sell its part of the property — known as the arena site — where the temporary building sat for a new hotel and exhibition hall development.

“The risk of that property ending up in litigation was very high and it would have derailed” the hotel project, McCusker said.

Rio Nuevo took over from the city as the landlord for Greyhound at the temporary site last year and negotiated the new location. It also sold the land to Nor-Generations developer Allan Norville, who already owned the adjacent 10 acres, for $5.6 million.

“By stepping into the city’s shoes, we eliminated the threat of litigation. We also now have a very valuable asset owned by the district and we have a Fortune 500 tenant,” McCusker said. “We enable the Greyhound to have a new terminal and we enable the arena lot project to go forward.”

Under the agreement, the city is still obligated to pay relocation costs, estimated at less than $50,000, and the city had set aside Greyhound’s rent payments to pay for the move.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Rio Nuevo buying vacant lot to build new Greyhound station

Rio Nuevo is buying a vacant lot near East Broadway and South Euclid Avenue to build a new bus terminal for Greyhound.

The 1-acre site cost $575,000. It’s located at 801 E. 12th St., behind the OfficeMax complex.
I like the new location, although I'm surprised they didn't look for something closer to the freeway. It will give some life to that corner, with Office Max and Del Taco, it's a bit sad at the moment.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
I like the new location, although I'm surprised they didn't look for something closer to the freeway. It will give some life to that corner, with Office Max and Del Taco, it's a bit sad at the moment.
I think it'll be totally fine with Downtown Links and, like the article states, students are the #1 Greyhound users here so proximity to campus is good. In the event we ever have discussions about extending light rail down Broadway, it'll also serve as additional reason to do so.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 1:42 PM

The building will be state of the art, board member Edmund Marquez said. “It’s going to be beautiful — a huge upgrade to the trailer they’re in now.”

Can't wait to see the renderings of this state of the art building. There's a bus route at Broadway closer to that new Greyhound location. Hopefully, more developments would follow around that area. Probably a coffee shop. Right now, there's only a Del Taco and Office Max, that would help feed students and buy school supplies.

Btw, I like this rendering.

I drove by Campbell Ave between Prince and Grant, the trees planted in the middle lane has this slow down (traffic) and calm effect on me. Maybe, Tucson should plant trees in the middle lanes at our major streets. It may reduce road rage plus it creates this urban feel. Let's leave the cactus in the surrounding deserts and create an oasis with trees within Tucson.

Last edited by farmerk; Feb 4, 2016 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 3:34 PM

The budget is about $1M. That's not a lot for new commercial construction, but it will be a lot better than a vacant lot at that location, and 100X better than the old bus terminal that was located between Congress and Broadway. This is a preliminary rendering.

http://tiboaz.biz/wp-content/uploads...undstation.jpg

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
The budget is about $1M. That's not a lot for new commercial construction, but it will be a lot better than a vacant lot at that location, and 100X better than the old bus terminal that was located between Congress and Broadway. This is a preliminary rendering.

http://tiboaz.biz/wp-content/uploads...undstation.jpg
I was thinking the same thing about the budget. After paying for the purchase of land there's only about a million dollars left. Not a lot of money. Even if the budget is in addition to land price, that's still not much money to build.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 4:13 AM

Rio Nuevo plan seeks to buy out city, develop 14 acres downtown

Rio Nuevo wants to buy out the city’s stake in an agreement to develop 14 acres on the west side of downtown.

Rio Nuevo, a special taxing district whose purpose is to develop downtown Tucson, proposes to pay the city about $1.2 million.

That’s the amount the city would receive if it decided developer Gadsden Co. has defaulted on a performance bond tied to the agreement.

Gadsden has been trying to develop the property since 2008, when the company agreed to buy and develop the land in phases. But many of its plans fell through in the recession, and last year the company lost out on low-income housing tax credits it said it needed to develop housing on the site. The city gave the developer several extensions.

Gadsden has done a lot in difficult economic times, Rio Nuevo board chairman Fletcher McCusker said.

Rio Nuevo is also investing $2.2 million in Gadsden’s expansion of the Mercado San Agustín, a Mexican-style plaza with a central courtyard, shops and restaurants in the Menlo Park neighborhood.

The company has a lender and a strong tenant demand for retail space, “which we’re very interested in supporting,” McCusker said.

“Yes, we’re trying to move this project along,” McCusker told the board Tuesday. “Are we trying to bail out friends of ours? No, no, emphatically no.”

If the city agrees to Rio Nuevo’s proposal, Rio Nuevo would take ownership of the property and sign a new development agreement with the developer. Under the new agreement, Gadsden would be obligated “unforgivingly” to meet deadlines or face financial penalties or foreclosure, McCusker said.

Rio Nuevo would lease the property to Gadsden and receive sales tax revenue from the new retail stores.

The Tucson City Council, Rio Nuevo board, their attorneys and the bond underwriters all would have to agree to the proposal for Rio Nuevo to acquire the city’s position in the development agreement.

McCusker said the proposal would move forward a development that has repeatedly stalled.

“If we don’t engage, the chances of that property remaining dormant last long beyond the lifetime of this board,” he said at a board meeting this week.

If the city were to call the bonds, the city would get its money, but the developer likely would be put out of business, McCusker said.

Right now “the city is in an untenable position,” McCusker said.

Councilwoman Regina Romero, a strong proponent of developing downtown’s west side, said it’s a win if Rio Nuevo partners in the development. “I don’t see where we could lose,” she said Thursday.

No one wins when there’s no development on the site, she said, so it would be a bad idea for the city to call the bonds. Rio Nuevo can help bring the housing and commercial projects to reality, and can build claw-backs into its agreement with Gadsden in case things go wrong.

Last summer, Mayor Jonathan Rothschild told the Star he wanted the city to take action, either by calling the bonds or coming up with a different solution. On Thursday, he said he wants to see the details of the Rio Nuevo proposal — including whether the city would be fully compensated — before deciding whether this is the right approach.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 3:43 PM

I've heard that, with Rio Nuevo's financing, Gadsden is looking to begin construction on the Mercado Annex and the Monier Apartments by summer, so let's hope the city agrees to this.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:56 PM

Rio Nuevo has been trying for several months to finalize an agreement to help finance Gadsden's Mercado San Agustin Annex, but negotiations with the city have dragged out unnecessarily, so their plan to buy out the city's position should get things moving. (Steve Kozachik has been suggesting for quite awhile that the city pull the plug on their deal with Gadsden and call in the performance bonds, but he hasn't had the support of other council members.)

Given their past history, I'm not too confident in Gadsden's ability to secure financing on their own, but now that Rio Nuevo has some cash to play with, they could be the key to getting the Mission District built out, especially with all the apparent demand for more housing downtown.

Last edited by kaneui; Feb 5, 2016 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:39 PM

Any news on the Block 175 Development?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Any news on the Block 175 Development?
No official announcements yet, although IDA is apparently in Phase II negotiations with one of the teams that responded to the RFP issued last summer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Rio Nuevo plan seeks to buy out city, develop 14 acres downtown

Gadsden has been trying to develop the property since 2008, when the company agreed to buy and develop the land in phases. But many of its plans fell through in the recession, and last year the company lost out on low-income housing tax credits it said it needed to develop housing on the site. The city gave the developer several extensions.

Gadsden has done a lot in difficult economic times, Rio Nuevo board chairman Fletcher McCusker said.

If the city agrees to Rio Nuevo’s proposal, Rio Nuevo would take ownership of the property and sign a new development agreement with the developer. Under the new agreement, Gadsden would be obligated “unforgivingly” to meet deadlines or face financial penalties or foreclosure, McCusker said.
The best way to develop this piece of property is to pull the plug on Gadsden and to find more developers. I like their renderings but they just need to go. They don't have any interest in building the rest of it. I believe they have been developing that area way before 2008 ... 2006 (when easy credit was available).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 8:51 PM

Tucson to get direct flights to Guaymas

From today's Arizona Daily Star...

Quote:
Eight years after losing our last international flight, direct air service between Tucson and Guaymas, Sonora, will begin by summer.

The governors of Arizona and Sonora, along with the mayors of Tucson and Guaymas, are set to announce the new air service later this month.

A domestic airline will fly a 50-seat Bombardier CRJ200 jet four times a week between Tucson and Guaymas, as well as Phoenix and Guaymas. The flight will originate in Phoenix and fly to Guaymas, then from Guaymas to Tucson and back and then leave Guaymas and terminate in Phoenix.

The 55-minute flights will land at the Guaymas airport, where shuttles, taxis and rental cars will be available, said Ernesto Bojorquez, finance director for the Guaymas airport.

San Carlos, which last year garnered the top spot in National Geographic’s top 10 list of ocean views, is only 15 minutes away.
The article also says that there are other new flights between Arizona and Mexico in the works.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Tucson to get direct flights to Guaymas

From today's Arizona Daily Star...

The article also says that there are other new flights between Arizona and Mexico in the works.
The article mentioned more flights, but didn't specify they're coming to Tucson. I imagine when these two regional Mexican airlines take their first step into Arizona, it will be Sky Harbor.

Also mentioned a price goal of $400 for a Round Trip, $200 each way... not bad at all considering neither is a major hub. Very cool news!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 6:54 PM

Sorry about the sun glare.

The HUB at Tucson II - 022116

Chaffin's Diner - 022116

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest