HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 8:32 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Wasn't Lakeline a massive financial disaster? It opened waaaayyy too late in the lifespan of the indoor mall.

Still, they had a Sega City when it opened and a cool multistory movie theater, so I loved it.

Lacked ice skating rink so it was definitely not as good a hang as Northcross, but better than Highland or Barton Creek. Especially since Aladdin's Castle went bankrupt before Sega City or Tilt.
The mall was originally proposed in the mid 80s but was delayed nearly a decade for a number of reasons.

First there was the Texas real estate crash in the late 80s which resulted in a lot of developments being put on hold or cancelled altogether. Then there were further delays for environmental reasons due to the discovery of small caves containing endangered beetles on the property (I believe). Finally broke ground in 1994.

Interesting tidbit - the land the mall is located on was originally in the city of Cedar Park but was later transferred to and is still in the city of limits Austin. That's why the mall and many of the surrounding stores have a Cedar Park mailing address.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
The mall was originally proposed in the mid 80s but was delayed nearly a decade for a number of reasons.

First there was the Texas real estate crash in the late 80s which resulted in a lot of developments being put on hold or cancelled altogether. Then there were further delays for environmental reasons due to the discovery of small caves containing endangered beetles on the property (I believe). Finally broke ground in 1994.

Interesting tidbit - the land the mall is located on was originally in the city of Cedar Park but was later transferred to and is still in the city of limits Austin. That's why the mall and many of the surrounding stores have a Cedar Park mailing address.
2nd interesting tidbit- the mall and surrounding apartments are in the Round Rock ISD. So you live in Austin with a Cedar Park address and your kids go to RRISD schools. That is what happens when you draw boundaries out in the country before everything gets built up.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecreek View Post
2nd interesting tidbit- the mall and surrounding apartments are in the Round Rock ISD. So you live in Austin with a Cedar Park address and your kids go to RRISD schools. That is what happens when you draw boundaries out in the country before everything gets built up.
That is weird.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 10:30 AM

Also when ever we arrested someone at Sears for shoplifting, They would first be happy because they thought Travis county was picking them up. But their hopes were crushed when they ended up in Wilco.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:09 PM

Anyone know the history of Southwood Center? I've only ever been inside the Golds Gym and Rocket Banners there, but behind the Rocket Banners (which you can only enter through the back of the building) there's this weird space that looks like the inside of a shopping mall but it seems abandoned. Did this place used to be an indoor mall?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:36 PM

I found this site plan:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I found this site plan:

it's only a matter of time before this strip gets fixed up. i live in the neighborhood behind it, and the whole neighborhood is basically under construction. once St. Elmo is done, the light rail comes online and more and more people move down here, I think this strip is perfectly placed for a complete revamp.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I found this site plan:

Interesting! This explains so much. I didn't realize there was an entrance to that inner corridor space from the parking lot. Still a very strange way to design a strip center - sort of a hybrid between a strip center and a shopping mall I guess.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:13 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Interesting! This explains so much. I didn't realize there was an entrance to that inner corridor space from the parking lot. Still a very strange way to design a strip center - sort of a hybrid between a strip center and a shopping mall I guess.
Southwood was actually Austin's first mall. It and Hancock center are two of the older Mall's in town but the Mall bit has (mostly) been stripped out of it. Westgate was also a mall (parts of the movie theater date back to the mall) as was Northcross, though those were torn out much more recently than Southwood which turned into a strip mall in the 90s.

My grandparents live (well, grandpa at this point) on Gillis right behind the old Southwood theater (now laser tag). When I was a kid the mall part was still much more prominent than it is now including an interior atrium with a waterfall. Loads of big box stores have come and gone since then, most of my childhood there was a bulk foods grocer in there that moved out (sunflower, seedsomething?) to Brodie Oaks and eventually turned into Sprouts.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:48 AM
Meh

Quote:
Southwood was actually Austin's first mall. It and Hancock center are two of the older Mall's in town but the Mall bit has (mostly) been stripped out of it. Westgate was also a mall (parts of the movie theater date back to the mall) as was Northcross, though those were torn out much more recently than Southwood which turned into a strip mall in the 90s.

My grandparents live (well, grandpa at this point) on Gillis right behind the old Southwood theater (now laser tag). When I was a kid the mall part was still much more prominent than it is now including an interior atrium with a waterfall. Loads of big box stores have come and gone since then, most of my childhood there was a bulk foods grocer in there that moved out (sunflower, seedsomething?) to Brodie Oaks and eventually turned into Sprouts.
Sunharvest. And yep, Southwood and Westgate both were two malls we went to a lot in the late 80s. The Southwood Theatre was our theatre. We probably saw Ghostbusters there and a bunch more. The Southwood Theatre, not Blazer Tag, and the original Westgate Theatre where the Buffet Palace is now on Westgate at Ben White.

https://imgur.com/gallery/duVsIOr

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 2:52 PM

Not sure if this goes here, or in project updates BUUUUT...A little birdy told me that Austin will get its first "TX based" shopping department store downtown "scaled down urban version" sometime in the near future. Didn't get any further info...just that the retailer is "established". So weird considering we were just discussing something sort of similar!

Guessing west end of DT

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Not sure if this goes here, or in project updates BUUUUT...A little birdy told me that Austin will get its first "TX based" shopping department store downtown "scaled down urban version" sometime in the near future. Didn't get any further info...just that the retailer is "established". So weird considering we were just discussing something sort of similar!

Guessing west end of DT
love this! i guess it has to be Neiman Marcus?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:28 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
it's only a matter of time before this strip gets fixed up. i live in the neighborhood behind it, and the whole neighborhood is basically under construction. once St. Elmo is done, the light rail comes online and more and more people move down here, I think this strip is perfectly placed for a complete revamp.
Hi neighbor

You ain't kidding about the construction.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:41 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

I used to go watch movies with friends at that dollar theater (lazer tag). Now that I think back about it, we had quite a lot more freedom then compared to kids today. I used to walk or ride my bike all over and walk around inside Southwood Mall without adult supervision. Used to walk to St. Elmo and back home, either at alone or with a couple of friends. I'm talking when I was as young as 6 or 7 years, would be out and about even by the train tracks sometimes. A lot has changed for sure cause no way are kids that age out without their parents. It's just interesting to think back on my childhood and how much independence in terms of being out on the neighborhood streets.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:56 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
We have already have a needless markup at the domain, so it wouldn’t be our first. I don’t know of any other Texas based department stores, however.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Oh shit! I totally forgot Neiman's was TX based!!

Perhaps the downtown Dallas location could be an example of what they're doing (if it's them). Congress Ave would make a lot of sense, although not sure where for the space.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:35 PM
Austinite

Please let it be Weiners or Solo Serve!

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Please let it be Weiners or Solo Serve!

Video Link
Oh wow that brings back memories. There was a Weiner's and a Winn's both in the shopping center on Ohlen and 183. My mom would take me to Weiner's to buy school clothes, then we'd walk over to Winn's to get Gobots and Garbage Pail Kids trading cards!

I believe Skaggs Alpha Beta was on that corner of the strip center too.

Maybe that new shopping center store mentioned earlier could be the return of Joske's? I thought they were opening back up on the River Walk, maybe they're coming back here too. I remember the one in Highland Mall decades ago.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 9:49 PM

Pleats and huge sleeves. Timeless.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Pleats and huge sleeves. Timeless.
That's the 80s bleeding into the 90s pre-grunge.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin