HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Like they were just pouring over dirt. I thought it was be crushed stone and rebar before pouring.

Any concrete expert now what's going on?
They're pouring a concrete "mud slab," which is a nonstructural base on which the actual steel reinforced foundation will be constructed and poured.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
They're pouring a concrete "mud slab," which is a nonstructural base on which the actual steel reinforced foundation will be constructed and poured.
And there you go.

Thanks PF!!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 7:56 PM

Starting to put down rebar under the main tower.
The back part along Sansom is deeper, but nearing completion on that dig too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:27 PM

Construction update video, it's a week old, forgot to post it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B53gKV4Dw7d/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Construction update video, it's a week old, forgot to post it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B53gKV4Dw7d/
Great video. Something I’ve always wondered about when I look at the base of these cranes is that they just look so damn flimsy given the massive weight they hold? I don’t understand engineering so while I know this all works, I don’t understand how. It looks like a few bolts holding the red section onto the base, does the red section go deep into the concrete? Also, what is the diameter of that base, I’ve seen them in person from a distance and it’s hard to tell in the pictures but they never seem big enough considering what they hold up. When I think of that thing hoisting 21,000lbs plus its own weight, add in wind & other forces, all 300 feet off the ground without any support up high - it just seems impossible.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 2:10 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I had the same thoughts. I could swear other cranes and how their bases are attached were more robust!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 2:18 PM

Look at the yellow ladder in the foreground. Standard ladder width is about 16". So those members are pretty substantial. Also it appears the mount is embedded in the concrete.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Great video. Something I’ve always wondered about when I look at the base of these cranes is that they just look so damn flimsy given the massive weight they hold? I don’t understand engineering so while I know this all works, I don’t understand how. It looks like a few bolts holding the red section onto the base, does the red section go deep into the concrete? Also, what is the diameter of that base, I’ve seen them in person from a distance and it’s hard to tell in the pictures but they never seem big enough considering what they hold up. When I think of that thing hoisting 21,000lbs plus its own weight, add in wind & other forces, all 300 feet off the ground without any support up high - it just seems impossible.

Those are solid steel pins holding the base tower section to the anchors.
The towers are incredibly strong with the way they are built and the steel tubing they are constructed from.
The red tower section does not go into the concrete it is pinned to the anchors and they are what is poured into the concrete and rebar.

The towers are 8' x 8'

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I had the same thoughts. I could swear other cranes and how their bases are attached were more robust!
This is actually a typical setup for all tower cranes anchoring into concrete.
From the shortest of cranes to the crane the was atop the W hotel was anchored this way.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Look at the yellow ladder in the foreground. Standard ladder width is about 16". So those members are pretty substantial. Also it appears the mount is embedded in the concrete.
good catch, I didn't even notice that thing until you pointed it out, does give a good perspective as to the size of those sections. I got pretty close to the ones at CTC when they were disassembling it on the west end & recall they were fairly hulking in size. I'm more amazed at how they're attached to the ground than anything, & read one of the other replies that the initial red section that joins the base doesn't go deep into the concrete, that to me seems crazy, if a lot of lateral force is exerted how does it not rip those pins out. I guess most of the wind just blows right through it rather than causing it to lean in any direction? Does the jib and the counterweight move like a weather vane into the wind? Once there's a tie-in to the building to stabilize it, it all makes perfect sense (even to me ), but just in its free standing form it's tough to comprehend.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
good catch, I didn't even notice that thing until you pointed it out, does give a good perspective as to the size of those sections. I got pretty close to the ones at CTC when they were disassembling it on the west end & recall they were fairly hulking in size. I'm more amazed at how they're attached to the ground than anything, & read one of the other replies that the initial red section that joins the base doesn't go deep into the concrete, that to me seems crazy, if a lot of lateral force is exerted how does it not rip those pins out. I guess most of the wind just blows right through it rather than causing it to lean in any direction? Does the jib and the counterweight move like a weather vane into the wind? Once there's a tie-in to the building to stabilize it, it all makes perfect sense (even to me ), but just in its free standing form it's tough to comprehend.
The lower tower sections of this crane are larger than the upper sections (beefier steel) but same size overall dimensionally, which allows it to free-stand higher.

The cranes do "WeatherVane" when they are not in operation. On a typical windy day, after working hours, if you look at all the cranes in the city they will more than likely be pointing the same direction due to them being able to spin freely.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 7:06 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead401 View Post
The lower tower sections of this crane are larger than the upper sections (beefier steel) but same size overall dimensionally, which allows it to free-stand higher.

The cranes do "WeatherVane" when they are not in operation. On a typical windy day, after working hours, if you look at all the cranes in the city they will more than likely be pointing the same direction due to them being able to spin freely.
love this first hand info - thanks so much for providing all of these insights

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 11:49 AM

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 2:45 PM

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 6:08 PM

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 2:09 PM

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Looks like The Laurel will partially or completely obstruct views of Liberty Place from the South Street Bridge. That's been an iconic shot since 1 Lib opened in '87. I'm all for this project, but I confess I'll miss that classic view. The Laurel is several blocks closer to the bridge than most of the high-rises in view so it is really going to dominate the right side of the frame.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:32 PM

I don't think this building will obstruct the view of Liberty Place; its a tall building but if its near the height of the building formerly known as the Blue Cross Building; it won't be tall enough to obstruct the view.

I may certainly outshine Liberty Place at night; I sort of wish Liberty Place would return to its classic look.

Last edited by JohnIII; Jan 8, 2020 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:34 PM

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:57 PM

^That works out nicely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive