HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 10:38 PM

kznyc2k made that great discovery of Court Circle area remains along N. Freemont Ave. a couple of weeks ago. Today, I was looking at my mid-1950's poster of Los Angeles and noticed that this area was in the poster. I took this photo which shows about five houses remaining along that section of Freemont after the 110 freeway went through.

Earl Witscher, Modernage Photo Service

Kind of close to the freeway!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post
Hollywood, this photo is at a place I know very well. I used to ride the Red Car past here every day on my way to Thomas Star King Jr. High from my home on Scott Ave. near Elysian Park. Of course that was c. 1954 long after the overpass was completed. I remember a small meat market just beyond the market on the right maybe even directly under the apartment clinging to the side of the cut. My dad would go there to buy horse meat to feed our cat. Also there was a place right about there that processed and sold turkeys at Thanksgiving time. I remember going there c. 1947 with my mom and grandmother and while they were making their choice I watched a worker stripping the feathers off a bird and removing some of the pin-feathers. I don’t remember whether she had to cut off the head but since the bird was already dead, I’d bet she did. When we got home my grandmother settled into the task of removing the rest of the pin-feathers. Haha – not going to happen today when all we have to do is buy a Butter Ball! or just call in a buy a complete dinner from Von's.
The place where your pop got the horse meat was one block farther west, it was called Mabel's, I worked for Mabel for a week or so as a kid. I would go out when a car pulled up and take an order for horse meat. Mabel had a Spider Monkey she kept in the store, monkey bit me, quit. My pop bought horse meat there also. Just beyond was Metropolitan Chevrolet and up a couple more stores was the chicken market you mention. You watched as the chicken was killed, defeathered, gutted and wrapped up for you. Up the next block was Michaeltorena Street School. I also went to King in 56, 7 and 8.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
...demonstrating for, among other things, increased unemployment benefits, a school lunch program for hungry school children and against the generally crummy situation in which working families found themselves. Lotta this kind of thing going around in 1930. Of course, Harry Chandler was not amused and arranged for a few heads to be cracked, which, predictably, only served to further radicalize the working man.
I was just re-watching this documentary (originally recommended by GW I think) when that pic popped up, while sure enough, the voice over says something about the LAPD being Harry Chandler's own, private police force (this was due to the LA Times not saying a word against the nation's most corrupt police dept or its chief):

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/inventing-la/watch_online.html

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
... I worked for Mabel for a week or so as a kid. I would go out when a car pulled up and take an order for horse meat. Mabel had a Spider Monkey she kept in the store, monkey bit me, quit.
OMG, I laughed so hard at that. Can't wait to use "monkey bit me, quit" at some appropriate juncture.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 11:28 PM

1947 Sunset Bl near Silverlake Bl

http://youtu.be/GyAa8X99z1o?t=5s
This is a Edgar Kennedy comedy using the Laurel & Hardy "Hats Off" plot and the famous Laurel and Hardy stairs off of Vendome. Looking across Sunset to the same hill behind the Club Zarape and the Elite Market. You will see a car coming down the hill which is Westerly Terrace, that could have been my dad's car with me in it.. Doubtful but who knows.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 11:31 PM

So many interesting stories and vivid memories...everything from horse meat to Mabel's spider monkey. I love it!
__

Inaugural Academy Awards ceremony, Blossom Room, Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. May 16, 1929

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-stfckS__Rz...600/header.jpg

The only people I recognize are Louie B. Mayer, and at the same table, Irving Thalberg and his wife Norma Shearer (and possibly David O. Selznick to the right of Ms. Shearer).

__

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
kznyc2k made that great discovery of Court Circle area remains along N. Freemont Ave. a couple of weeks ago. Today, I was looking at my mid-1950's poster of Los Angeles and noticed that this area was in the poster. I took this photo which shows about five houses remaining along that section of Freemont after the 110 freeway went through.
Great shot! That's by far the clearest picture yet of the houses still standing with their backs up against the not so figurative wall.

Last edited by kznyc2k; Feb 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 12:44 AM
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post

Last edited by Graybeard; Feb 24, 2013 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 12:59 AM
Closed account

Want to stay at the CECIL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
...more on the Hotel Cecil's shady past here (very interesting)

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nationa...-has-dark-past
__
One wonders if the HOTEL CECIL can remain open after this catastrophe. It really leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth...so to speak.

Are it's days numbered? Time will tell... as it does in all things noir.

Last edited by DouglasUrantia; Feb 24, 2013 at 7:03 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 2:00 AM

Detail of 1921 Baists map posted by JScott

I know we've seen the Temple Block many times on the thread, but I don't remember these two views.

The NW corner of Market and Main Street in 1925, looking north.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6856392...57628005877803

Peeking around the corner of the Temple Block at far right is the Post Office.
Looming above the Main Street buildings is the International Bank Building on Spring Street.

I love the Nora's Grill sign with the light bulbs. (it might be Mora's..I'm not sure)
__

Same view from the opposite direction.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6856392...57628005877803

I believe that is the J.A. Bullard Building under construction in the distance. (it's being built on the former site of the first county court house)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 24, 2013 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:05 AM

Quote:
The place where your pop got the horse meat was one block farther west, it was called Mabel's, I worked for Mabel for a week or so as a kid. I would go out when a car pulled up and take an order for horse meat. Mabel had a Spider Monkey she kept in the store, monkey bit me, quit. My pop bought horse meat there also. Just beyond was Metropolitan Chevrolet and up a couple more stores was the chicken market you mention. You watched as the chicken was killed, defeathered, gutted and wrapped up for you. Up the next block was Michaeltorena Street School. I also went to King in 56, 7 and 8.
Mabel selling horse meat with a monkey in the store. It just doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

By the way, if you you really miss the old chicken market days, take a trip down to Peking Poultry in Chinatown. They have the live victims in a cage out front and you can watch the whole process:

Google Street View

Chicken conejos on the sign out front. How can you go wrong?

The whole thing reminds me of Taiwan in 1974. The wife (then pre-wife) said she was cooking me a turkey for Thanksgiving. I had visions of a roast bird with all the trimmings. They killed the turkey, plucked it, then threw the damn thing in a big pot of boiling water. We ate it with soy sauce. Not the same.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:07 AM

How'd I miss it.

I know there has been a lot of posts about the storage building at 3636 Beverly Blvd. I've always love this building and the architect's other buildings like the Wilshire Professional. So last week I decided to snap a picture and I noticed I had missed seeing something the hundreds of times I had drove by it. It was probably covered in a post and I missed that too but I never noticed that bearded head. No not Yosemite Sam, but those sculpted heads in the frieze at the lower part of the building.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:10 AM

MGM's stable of movie stars, 1943. Photo taken in honor of MGM's 20th Anniversary. Which stars do you recognize?

Wikipedia commons

I see Greer Garson, Donna Reed, Katharine Hepburn (wearing socks and sandals, and slacks!), a young handsome Desi Arnaz in the back, Gene Kelly, Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney, Lucille Ball, Jimmy Stewart...

No Joan Crawford? I guess by this time, she was considered Box... Office... POISON!!!

And today, just to channel some of these people, I went to Culver City.

Mr. Selznick, where are you?

Photo by me--->

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:12 AM

I'm gonna milk this map until it's dry.

detail of 1921 Baist map posted by JScott

Looking north along the west side of Main Street between First and Market Streets.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6856392...7803/lightbox/

I've been trying to read this sign in the distance. After checking the Sanborn Map I realize it says Rescue Mission.

detail

detail

I think this might be it as well, labeled 'Gospel Hall' and lodgings (upper right)

The 'Vaudeville' seems entirely surrounded. I believe it fronted on Court Street.

The Union Rescue Mission.

ebay

below: Here is a larger view showing the truly unique pediment/cornice. (almost a balcony)

http://www.insroland.org/

...sadly, the Rescue Mission sign eventually covered this unique part of the building.

below: A rare interior view...the Main Street Rescue Mission lecture hall. (zzzzzzzzz)

The Rescue Mission looking north along Main Street circa 1891 (the Grand Opera House can be seen on the right)

Note the wooden tower with a bell to the left of the Opera House....must be a fire station.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 24, 2013 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Ha ha, who would have thunk that from my obscure recollection of about 7 or 8 years old that someone who actually knew of that horse meat place would surface and reminisce about feeding our cats. I went to King from Sept 53 thru “Graduating” in June 56. From there onto Belmont, hence the moniker. I would assume you would have been relegated to John Marshall. On a side note…did you have Miss Cark at King? And maybe Mr. Jalphs = Jollfs (Spelling??) for drafting? I guess I must have been a 9th. grader about the time you were a “scrub” One thing for sure…I don’t remember the monkey.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:35 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6026618]I'm gonna milk this map until it's dry.

I've been trying to read this sign in the distance.

detail

I think the sign may say Rescue Mission, E.R.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
This area is always worth a second or third look, not least of which because the area has so drastically changed. Here's Sarah's "playground" from around that time:

1890s, LAPL
One more (reposted) shot of Sarah Bixby Smith's "safe, neighborhood playground":

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
view looking southwest from the roof of the broadway hotel, showing the connecting bridge 1955... this image is looking directly at what was once the upper station of court flight

Source: LAPL

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
MGM's stable of movie stars, 1943. Photo taken in honor of MGM's 20th Anniversary. Which stars do you recognize?
Totally into instant gratification, I cheated:

http://kottke.org/12/05/photo-of-mgm...-stars-in-1943

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 4:09 AM

[QUOTE=FredH;6026635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I'm gonna milk this map until it's dry.

I've been trying to read this sign in the distance.

detail

I think the sign may say Rescue Mission, E.R.
I had figured out it was the Rescue Mission sign after checking the Sanborn map; I just didn't word it very well in my post.
That's why I included all the Rescue Mission photographs.
__

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post
Ha ha, who would have thunk that from my obscure recollection of about 7 or 8 years old that someone who actually knew of that horse meat place would surface and reminisce about feeding our cats. I went to King from Sept 53 thru “Graduating” in June 56. From there onto Belmont, hence the moniker. I would assume you would have been relegated to John Marshall. On a side note…did you have Miss Cark at King? And maybe Mr. Jalphs = Jollfs (Spelling??) for drafting? I guess I must have been a 9th. grader about the time you were a “scrub” One thing for sure…I don’t remember the monkey.
I did take drafting but do not remember his name. I remember taking a 56 Olds and modifying it in the drafting class for a project. Yes, I was in the preferential area to go to Marshall. You Belmont guys, I felt sorry that you had to go there. Great football games between the two.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos