HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I'm all for a combined map like that above even though it does create the false impression of an integrated user-friendly European-style transit network.

The solution to the confusion that might create is simply to put a prominent disclaimer on the map stating something along the lines of "WARNING - no attempt has been made to coordinate transfers between rapid transit, regional rail, and non-SEPTA transit agency operations. Transfers at such points may involve lengthy wait times, and will require purchase of new fares . . . But someday we'll get our act together".

But a consolidated map along the lines above is partly informational, partly aspirational. It serves as a constant reminder of what should be given the great infrastructure and potential for useful transfer points that we have but can't take advantage of given budget, labor work rule, and administrative - but not physical - constraints

Regarding the MFL A and B lines, am I the only person who feels that they are a really silly and unnecessary complication? I could see the need for them if MFL was longer or had splits, but it's such a short, simple line why bother? I feel like it's a legacy from when planners had bigger ideas for the system, but now it's kind of meaningless.
Eh, Paris, a notable European city, has a map that combined rapid transit and regional rail: http://www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php

The RER (regional rail) is mapped right along with rapid transit/subway lines (the numbered lines) and trams ("(T)" lines). I think the fare is better coordinated, but that'll be true of SEPTA once Key is out, leaving only PATCO/NJ Transit to be awkward outsider. And I don't think that's enough to say this map is useless.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:03 AM
BANNED

SEPTA's regional rail is the only US commuter rail that realistically can become an RER-type network. Also SEPTA does extremely well with less funding compared to MTA, CTA, and others. Imagine if SEPTA was properly funded Philly can easily have the #1 public transportation system in the country.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:43 AM

^Actually a report has shown that the CTA has the most cost-effective system compared to any other major transit system in the US (with Philly not being too far behind of course).

That being said of course, all transit systems in the US are extremely underfunded compared to other international cities. It's especially not helping how the US is doing a poor job at maintaining other crumbling infrastructures (roads, bridges, tunnels, towers, etc.) and the idiots at congress don't have a concrete plan. This means that transit agencies have to also compete with other infrastructure projects for a limited pool of money that's not growing fast enough. I'm genuinely concerned about what the state of our transit systems in cities will look like a decade or two from now. SEPTA has previously threatened shutting down several of their lines if they didn't receive proper funding. Who's to say other agencies won't do something similar?

P.S. Why is it that it's extremely pricey to build subway and el lines nowadays? Yes I do realize that part of it is that we are paying workers a fair wage now, land prices have gone up, and the obvious factor of inflation. However, I'm not convinced that these together are the main reasons. Is it ROW? Environment studies? NIMBY protests? I would like it if someone could give a comprehensive reason behind this.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 5:40 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
P.S. Why is it that it's extremely pricey to build subway and el lines nowadays? Yes I do realize that part of it is that we are paying workers a fair wage now, land prices have gone up, and the obvious factor of inflation. However, I'm not convinced that these together are the main reasons. Is it ROW? Environment studies? NIMBY protests? I would like it if someone could give a comprehensive reason behind this.
The prices for building and operating transit systems have gone up in direct proportion to the amount of cash the Feds, States, and Local agencies are willing to pay.

Because there is revenue sharing for many of these projects, with a 50% Federal share, the budget gets broken just every time because of the windfall from above. The only transit projects coming in on time, on budget, and with limited purposes are those projects not getting any Federal funds. Here's a few examples, SMART, DCTA, CapMetroRail, Northstar, and Music City Star are just the most recent examples. There's examples from the Pacific Northwest, California, Texas, the Deep South and the MidWest. I don't know of any recently really coming in on budget that had received any significant Federal grants.

Maybe that's what's wrong, too much easy money?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 1:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
...and the idiots at congress don't have a concrete plan.
It's the conservatives not congress itself. If the democrats had no opposition there would already be massive increases in infrastructure, HSR and transit spending. Let's place blame where blame is deserved - at the feet of these lunatic mental midgets in the GOP.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 1:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
It's the conservatives not congress itself. If the democrats had no opposition there would already be massive increases in infrastructure, HSR and transit spending. Let's place blame where blame is deserved - at the feet of these lunatic mental midgets in the GOP.
if that were true, why weren't there huge increases in transit spending when the democrats had the majority? they wouldn't have needed "no opposition", just a simple majority which they had for many years.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:09 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
if that were true, why weren't there huge increases in transit spending when the democrats had the majority? they wouldn't have needed "no opposition", just a simple majority which they had for many years.
They did get a huge amount of money for transit, $8.4 Billion. But it was under a one time spend of stimulus packages for supposedly ready-to-go projects. Rail projects were the only exceptions to the ready-to-go restrictions, and rail projects had a later spend by date. An additional $8 Billion was allocated to high speed and intercity rail in the stimulus package. Remember, the stimulus package was over and beyond the regular DOT funding streams.
It was "their" choice to spend with a one time spurt than with a smaller increase in the regular funding stream.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:52 PM

Jim Saksa wrote a good article for Plan Philly about the #StandUp4TRansportation rally yesterday.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/...pparent-accord

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 5:22 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Wissahickon Train Station to receive a mural

http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...1983509046.txt

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Claymont project could add 5,000 jobs

Jeff Mordock, The News Journal 8:16 p.m. EDT April 30, 2015

An artist’s rendering shows the First State Transit Center, part of the First State Crossing project proposed for Claymont.

CDC also will construct a new transit center on a 12-acre site roughly half a mile east of the existing Claymont Train Station. The transit center will include 600-foot passenger platforms, bus connections, 650 parking spaces, bike and pedestrian access and a ride dropoff area.

The First State Transit Center is expected to replace Claymont's current train station. Collins said the Delaware Department of Transportation expressed concern about the train station because of the lack of parking and that it sits on a section of curved track that could create a safety hazard.
Read More Here : http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...jobs/26663983/

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Hatfield officials urge SEPTA to keep Fortuna station

By Dan Sokil
@dansokil on Twitter

Published: Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Hatfield Twp >> Hatfield officials have heard about SEPTA’s plan to build a new rail station on Ninth Street in Lansdale and have a message they want the agency to hear.

They want, and many residents need, SEPTA’s Fortuna Station near Broad Street and Cowpath Road to stay open.

“With the projects going on in Lansdale, I think we have to be assertive and proactive in making sure we keep this station,” said Commissioner Scott Brown.
http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...8782159778.txt

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 8:14 AM

Record riders on Broad Street Line for Broad Street Run

Quote:
If it seemed like the subway was packed before and after Sunday's Broad Street Run - it was.

SEPTA said Monday that there were 88,510 trips on the Broad Street Line on Sunday, a record for the day of the annual 10-mile race.

Sunday's trips surpassed the previous record for race day, set last year, when there were 72,678 rides on the subway line.

For comparison, the Broad Street Line sees about 40,000 riders on a typical Sunday. The line's all-time ridership record was set on Friday, Oct. 31, 2008, when there were an estimated 361,800 trips for the Phillies' World Series parade.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...SFW0GBwiOOT.99

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Record riders on Broad Street Line for Broad Street Run
Read this yesterday, very cool!

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:29 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I grew up within spitting distance of Fortuna station.

The single best thing Hatfield Twp. could do is upzone and prioritize TOD around it and Colmar stations.

Also 9th street in Lansdale? The primary crossing there is on 7th!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 11:05 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Check out this map of the South Jersey rail transit back in the day . . . . amazing.

It's hard fathom how much better this country could have been than it actually is had we not systematically destroyed trillions of dollars of value in our cities and transit systems . . . so we could have tract housing, muscle cars, mcdonald's, and strip shopping.

http://www.prslhs.com/PRSL_Map_files/image007.jpg

My oh my........what South Jersey should've looked like if NJ Transit didn't shelve it's commuter rail. I've researched a lot of old archives and found out that the old Camden rail station was not just a rail terminal, but a ferry terminal as well. The site of the now non-existent rail station is just off the east bank of the Delaware River, where the Adventure Aquarium is now currently located. Here's the link:
http://www.sjrail.com/wiki/index.php...amden_Terminal

I know this thread is mostly Philly-centric, but I've always seen Camden as having huge potential, especially it's downtown. The Walter Rand Transportation Center is a very old and dingy facility. Very sketchy, too since the downtown area is going to reflect the general poplation of the city of Camden. The facility can be replaced with a more modern transportation facility which provides local and express bus service on ground and street level, PATCO service underground, and commuter rail above ground á la Reading Terminal.

I honestly believe that for Downtown Camden and Camden in general to not only survive, but thrive is to actually build up it's downtown core with mid-rise office towers and condos mostly on the waterfront and residential high rises near the vicinity of downtown. This could help Camden grow in population and keep it's tax base stable. Only thing for Camden to do is to lower it's crime rates, and it will be similar to what Newark, Jersey City, and Hoboken are to NYC!!!

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 12:17 AM

Plans for BRT along Roosevelt Boulevard taking shape.

Article here:
http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/...d-taking-shape

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 12:27 AM

^Beat me to it

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 5:01 AM

Philadelphia Airport expansion moves forward

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...nal-plaza.html

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 5:11 AM

Wrong thread.

Last edited by summersm343; May 28, 2015 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM
Show me the blueprints

Transportation?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation