HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 5:52 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

toukyou to ii desu ne.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 6:50 PM

Paris, Lisbon, Vienna, Madrid, Barcelona, Oporto, Rome, Milan, Florence, Lyon, Berlin, Cologne, Brussels. There are quite a few I would be happy to live in. Of course language barrier and job prospects are the biggest problem.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
What is the appeal of Monte Carlo? Bad food, ugly condos, everything overpriced, and overrun with third world gangsters.

French/Italian Riveria are great, but the only appeal of Monaco is tax avoidance (IMO). Aix, Antibes, Avignon are more my speed.
Agreed. I think people have a very Hollywood-skewed perception of places like Monaco, Dubai, etc. Was there for a day ~5 years ago and saw pretty much everything of note in a <500 acre country and no real desire to go back anytime soon. Even if it is about the glitzy lifestyle, if I was ultra-rich I'd rather be in Nice for 90% of the time and go over on a day trip for the Grand Prix.

As for the original question, depends if were talking about a hypothetical never-need-to-work-again scenario or not.

For a combination of career and the city itself? New York, London, Munich, maybe Melbourne (never been but the analogues to Toronto are obvious)

If I was retiring right now? Portugal and Spain have been my favourite recent destinations. I feel like I could be pretty happy between some combination of the small towns of the Iberian peninsula with Porto, Lisbon, Madrid, and Barcelona mixed in. The food and wine are nice bonuses.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Probably France or Germany, in an upland area, small village but close to a larger city.
One of the lakes south of Munich, if not Munich itself.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:08 PM

If I had enough money to live somewhere affluent and comfortable and central, definitely London!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
places to realistically work and raise kids? some of these seem more like extended vacations or retirement. i raise my hand for the antipodal commonwealth.
You can “realistically raise kids” anywhere. Whether you can work or not depends on your field and skills, but as a professional in an office environment you can get by with English in most major cities, at least to start.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:34 PM
An Optimistic Realist

It’s hard to answer this question. If I had my way, I would set up a house on every continent, including Antarctica. But I would probably spend most of my time in Europe, South Africa, and East Asia.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:03 PM

Bangkok.

Agoda

I'm so over western culture, particularly English-speaking cultures. Get me the hell away from Christians and other Abrahamic faiths.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Bangkok.

I'm so over western culture, particularly English-speaking cultures. Get me the hell away from Christians and other Abrahamic faiths.
I found Bangkok to be cool to experience, but parts also felt like hell on earth walking through a concrete jungle in the hottest, most humid weather I've ever experienced. Don't think there's any way I could live there through a full summer.

I also never thought of Pasadena as a place one would come into conflict with too many hardcore Christians. Is the Hispanic population there still very religious?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I found Bangkok to be cool to experience, but parts also felt like hell on earth walking through a concrete jungle in the hottest, most humid weather I've ever experienced. Don't think there's any way I could live there through a full summer.

I also never thought of Pasadena as a place one would come into conflict with too many hardcore Christians. Is the Hispanic population there still very religious?
Southeast Asian cities are chaotic. I like chaotic cities. Los Angeles is chaos; not on SE Asian levels, but chaotic nonetheless. Europe was nice, orderly... I'm so over Europe.

Not too much conflict with hardcore Christians in Pasadena, though some years ago, I did see Church of the Nazarene members at PCC holding up signs that said Repent Or Go to Hell or some such shit. Hispanics aren't overly religious, that's just a stereotype. Like most other Catholics, they're just Sunday Catholics and go to Mass on Sunday, if they even do that. And then of course there are the Evangelical Hispanics. But then there are the Evangelical non-Hispanics, too. Even Chinese people here have started to convert to Evangelical Christianity; I blame the goddamned American missionaries for that.

I've actually never been to Bangkok, but I don't care. We're planning a trip some time next year... Thailand might be one of the places we'll go to.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Why? We're not so bad so long as we don't turn stupid sectarian bigots.

Here's something genuine Christianity teaches.
People who can afford to pay taxes must do so, because it is a significant part of their duty. They need to get involved in society to help all those who are struggling.
Meanwhile, the poorer who benefit from these same taxes mustn't take it as anything granted, as if they were entitled to get money from any welfare state. They must grow more educated and skilled in return. So some good day, they can pay taxes to help struggling people in their turn.

I would willingly live anywhere such a basic principle would be effectively implemented.
Unfortunately, we're all spoiled and stuck in an individualistic greedy mindset, which causes the rise of corruption, distrust and violence.
That's beyond annoying. That's how people end up losing their Christian faith, which is a pity, really.

In a nutshell, I would live in any place where people are understanding enough, but certainly not in a bigot hellhole.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 11:39 PM
The New Republic

New York, USA
San Francisco, USA
Melbourne, Australia

In that order.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 11:39 PM

Outside of the US where I live and Brazil (where I'm from), most likely New Zealand.

It has a great economy, easy immigration, beautiful scenery and very high quality of life. The huge downside is that it's far away from everything, but this could also be an upside depending on what we're talking about.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 1:46 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
You can “realistically raise kids” anywhere. Whether you can work or not depends on your field and skills, but as a professional in an office environment you can get by with English in most major cities, at least to start.
i know that and it’s a highly personal
decision and spoke too generally when i should have spoke specifically...so, personally i would get annoyed with certain aspects of raising children in some places in so far as the inevitable interactions with other adults, language/culture noise, etc.

also i run field crews/contractors/etc in politically and otherwise sensitive or chaotic situations so i’d have to be damned sure i knew what we were all saying and i really only have a foothold in low spanish other than english and have to interact with the public/defuse situations/etc. one bad slip-up and i’m professionally canceled or worse (a few weeks ago i was guiding a cal-fire response for instance through an extremely...critical
area).

but, ironically the u.s. is probably the worst to raise children in the west (excepting good family support) even as a native.

Last edited by Centropolis; Oct 22, 2019 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 1:51 AM

Österreich in the Alps, Munich, Nuremberg, Amsterdam, Ghent, Antwerp, Copenhagen. Sweden and Norway in the Summer.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:48 AM

London. My Dad lived there a couple of decades ago, in the Kensington area. Extremely expensive area, but the company paid for everything. If I could afford to live there, I would.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:39 AM

For short periods, dozens of cities.

In the long run, I guess it's London. There's a sense you are right in the centre of the world with Europe right next door and direct flight connections to every corner of the world. As the city is incredibly cosmopolitan, there's a sense of familiarity there, you feel home right away.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 12:27 PM

Hong Kong would be my first choice. Quito would be more realistic for me though.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 12:54 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Edinburgh. It's dark, cold, dank, black, and grim. It's basically me in city form and I fucking loved it when I visited a few years ago.

Also, they had surprisingly good nachos.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 1:24 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Edinburgh. It's dark, cold, dank, black, and grim. It's basically me in city form and I fucking loved it when I visited a few years ago.

Also, they had surprisingly good nachos.
i've never been to edinburgh, and it's sort of my surname ancestral power center in a way (my parents have and my fathers and my first/last name are stamped all over the castle war memorial walls plummeting back in time), but i hear that it is sort of a protestant-y fizzle as far as street life compared to say dublin, but i'm sure it is wonderful.

champagne-arlenoble.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions