HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 9:36 PM

Question for everyone here: the original, more limited SoPo Square was rumored to include a hotel back before 220 Carlton was even in the picture. With the public information out there how do we know the hotel is still not on the MPI lot and that the current proposal for 220 Carlton is instead the residential that had bee whispered about for the MPI Donlad St lot?

Just wondering if I am missing some indicators in all this. I know there is lots of talk that the hotel is suppose to be at 220 Carlton but I do not recall it ever being said publicly that the True North proposals included a hotel specifically at the 220 Carlton address.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Question for everyone here: the original, more limited SoPo Square was rumored to include a hotel back before 220 Carlton was even in the picture. With the public information out there how do we know the hotel is still not on the MPI lot and that the current proposal for 220 Carlton is instead the residential that had bee whispered about for the MPI Donlad St lot?

Just wondering if I am missing some indicators in all this. I know there is lots of talk that the hotel is suppose to be at 220 Carlton but I do not recall it ever being said publicly that the True North proposals included a hotel specifically at the 220 Carlton address.
It was said publicly by Chipman himself during his blustering press conference that the hotel is not on 220, it's at 225 like they had planned earlier. There's no hotel on 220. Whether it's a massive residential tower nobody knows. The video doesn't tell us anything, but it's a possibility.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 9:48 PM

I'd answer the question with a resounding "sort of". Sounds like it was very much part of the vision for 225 even if it wasn't necessarily part of phase one.

Quote:
As a mixed-use development, ground level of the towers is envisioned as home to retail, restaurants and patios facing the plaza. Two would be designed for office space and a third for a multi- story parkade with potential for a hotel.
http://downtownwinnipegtrends.com/spotlight/sopo/

Quote:
Anchored by the MTS Centre, The SHED is an 11-blocks radius that is undergoing a significant transformation over the course of the next five years, turning downtown Winnipeg into a vibrant, urban multi-use district bringing new residents, businesses and events. The major SHED developments are: the Metropolitan Theatre; the expansion of the Winnipeg Convention Centre; CentrePoint (with the Alt Hotel, an office tower and two major restaurants, and Glasshouse!); and SoPo Square (with another major hotel, an office tower, parking and a central plaza with 5 restaurants, a four season entertainment site and 25 foot video screens).
http://glasshousewinnipeg.com/newsletter/1.0/page5.php

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the answers. It seems that is another fact that is getting buried in these discussions. If that is true and True North is pursuing a hotel for 225 Carlton even with their new plan, having anyone else working to find a hotel for 220 Carlton would be direct competition. If this is all true is further adds to the level of conflict of interest for True North.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. It seems that is another fact that is getting buried in these discussions. If that is true and True North is pursuing a hotel for 225 Carlton even with their new plan, having anyone else working to find a hotel for 220 Carlton would be direct competition. If this is all true is further adds to the level of conflict of interest for True North.
IIRC this is the point simplicity was making from the get-go.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ fire everyone!!!

The tax payer is really taking it on the chin here.

But still, I fail to see how Bowman looks that bad on this. The calls from the Chamber for him to apologize are hilarious.

If a development can't standup to a some amount of scrutiny, then f**k it, and move on.

Seriously, between Chipman's glasses off tough guy glossy video charade yesterday (that seemingly has people fooled), and now Kane's immature antics, I am a little fed up with all things True North. I need a breather.
100% agree.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
The new Sheriff in town needs to hang the outlaw in the public square to let everybody know that things are going to be done differently. Not one of these people deserves a graceful exit. That's the punishment for being a poor steward of the public; you leave in a shameful way. Ross McGowan already got to leave with a fawning farewell in the paper and a nice publicly funded party. Was Barry Thorgrimson supposed to given a beautiful sendoff in addition to his pension after spending the last ten years screwing the city by all means necessary? This is nonsense.

Everybody needs to get past this sentiment that all major development is good because it's not. The Chipmans/Thomsons/Artis - whoever - are not a charity. They aren't. Not a single one of them could care less about the city's bottom line. They are interested in this strictly for their own purposes on their terms. If they're going to build something, it's going to be profitable. If It's not, it's going to be made so at the expense of the city. And if it turns out that the project doesn't generate enough property tax (because everybody's being overly liberal with the estimates), then the taxpayer eats it. You know what never happens? The taxpayer never shares in the upside.

The Chipman family is so altruistically involved in the city and its development that after receiving funding from all three levels of government to build their moneymaker, they successfully lobbied to have the property categorized as recreational cutting their property tax by 80% and costing the city hundreds of thousands in annual business taxes.

The Chipman family thinks we're so stupid they claim the MTS Centre is not a business; it's a hockey rink like the one at your local community centre that sells a few chocolate bars at the canteen.

CentreVenture has been staffed by mostly incompetence for the better part of its 15 years. But it didn't need to have its lunch eaten because its only mandate was to give it away. There's nothing this quasi-NGO was doing that a moslty inept public service wasn't already doing or couldn't have easily done. It just got to hide behind a veil of secrecy while doing it.
This is the pure truth.

CV sold the pumphouse a while back to Ginakaes and Harris and then bought it back for $600,000.00 more than they sold for it.............less the valuable historical machinery. (Purportedly valued at $1M)

Where is the accountability?

Chipmans are no charity and worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

I met Mark Chipman on a plane in 2009 flying to Denver then Phoenix when he was trying to buy the Coyotes. He is a real nice person but money is money. I had a house in Phoenix for 5 years and also ran into my old Engineering classmate from the U of M on a plane as well in 2012. Phil Sheegl. He looked really worn down. I dunno his troubles but he did help me out in 2009.

Changes are a coming in Winnipeg so look out!!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 9:49 PM

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 6:43 PM

3/24/2015

One month later...

http://www.wcc.mb.ca/cc-archive/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
3/24/2015

One month later...

http://www.wcc.mb.ca/cc-archive/
Apparently they're focusing on finishing the City Room (over the street) and the interior ASAP, and worrying about the exterior last so that they can start booking events as rooms become ready.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 6:48 PM

^ There is something annoying about that setback just south of York Ave.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Apparently they're focusing on finishing the City Room (over the street) and the interior ASAP, and worrying about the exterior last so that they can start booking events as rooms become ready.
When was the projected finish date?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 7:07 PM

The original plan for the Convention Center expansion was that it would be ready in time for Grey Cup 2015. The city was actually offered the 2014 Grey Cup and turned it down as the Convention Center would not be ready. I am not sure what the current completion date is but heard it has slipped past the Grey Cup time window.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ There is something annoying about that setback just south of York Ave.
Isn't that area a major entry point into the new expanded facility? Set back from the roadway for drop off/pickup of patrons or people congregating before entering the building ? It's not pretty but functionality may have been a major consideration in the design?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Isn't that area a major entry point into the new expanded facility? Set back from the roadway for drop off/pickup of patrons or people congregating before entering the building ? It's not pretty but functionality may have been a major consideration in the design?
Is it? That would make a bit more sense. If so, I hope they add a canopy of some sort to provide some protection from the weather.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 7:32 PM

Quote:
The original plan for the Convention Center expansion was that it would be ready in time for Grey Cup 2015. The city was actually offered the 2014 Grey Cup and turned it down as the Convention Center would not be ready. I am not sure what the current completion date is but heard it has slipped past the Grey Cup time window.
CoryB would it be possible to finish the interiors of the expansion and have it ready for the Grey Cup while the exterior is still being completed?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Is it? That would make a bit more sense. If so, I hope they add a canopy of some sort to provide some protection from the weather.
Looks that way from all the renders and blueprints provided in the OP?

*all these images are from the Winnipeg Sun

some more from CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...expansion.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 7:57 PM

^ Doesn't look like there's any entrance or dropoff lane in that spot... looks like just a big ugly blank wall.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 7:59 PM

Quote:
That's surprising, I was under the impression it was not behind schedule. If you have a reliable source, then a delay it is?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 8:00 PM

Quote:
^ Doesn't look like there's any entrance or dropoff lane in that spot... looks like just a big ugly blank wall.
Your looking at the wrong image.. Top image of set..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan