HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Mmmm....pints.

I wish I wasn't driving yesterday because I really needed to get a picture of the gorilla advertising electronic cigarettes on Broad Street yesterday.
I saw him too! He had a big arrow pointing west, but to where?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:42 PM
arf

Pointing the wrong way obviously. I would assume the new place in the stripmall just south of Simmer, Val-U Pizza, and chiropractor.

Has anyone been in the lighting store south of the stripmall?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Pointing the wrong way obviously. I would assume the new place in the stripmall just south of Simmer, Val-U Pizza, and chiropractor.

Has anyone been in the lighting store south of the stripmall?
I think it is asking a lot for a Gorilla to know the difference between east and west.

Also noticed a new eye glass shop next to Leopold's Tavern on Albert. Unique store, with large displays for just a few presumably high end frames.

https://www.facebook.com/spexbyryan

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 2:36 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:52 PM
North End Troublemaker

City of Winnipeg budgets get released today... Isn't it exciting?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:23 PM

^ The anticipation has me covered in goosebumps! Well, maybe not quite..
At least a mild interest in the Bowman Effect and his influence going forward.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:18 PM

I get excited for budget day haha. I mostly know what's coming from last years future projections. But I always like this day (call me a nerd, fine!).

I'm interested to see what info is provided for the east transitway, as that is going ahead this year. It was budgeted for $800k last year. And just a general sense of what money is being spent where.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:26 PM

^ oh crap I had to lurk for a few moments then I saw your post.and actually logged back in..

I have to do it...

....nerd....

Forgive me..

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:08 PM

So Bowman goes into the Katz playbook and pulls out frontage levy increases (it's times like this I'm grateful to have a house that sits on a very narrow lot)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:13 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So Bowman goes into the Katz playbook and pulls out frontage levy increases (it's times like this I'm grateful to have a house that sits on a very narrow lot)
BRT reserve being done with an annual .33% tax increase for the next 10 years and a 5c increase next year above the 5c normally.

Last edited by steveosnyder; Mar 3, 2015 at 8:39 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot and misread -- next year not this

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:19 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As my house is on an extra wide lot, I'll be looking at around another $80 in tax this year...

Last edited by steveosnyder; Mar 3, 2015 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM

Traffic management centre is going ahead. I'm liking that one. Be able to adjust traffic lights in real time if there's a collision somewhere. Better adjust lights for seasonal issues. Etc. They should also implement a disabled vehicle assistance program. As in send a tow truck out to a vehicle broken down in a dangerous location.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
As my house is on an extra wide lot, I'll be looking at around another $80 in tax this year...
As a condo dweller I actually do alright, for once. My frontage levy was $10.78 last year.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Traffic management centre is going ahead. I'm liking that one. Be able to adjust traffic lights in real time if there's a collision somewhere. Better adjust lights for seasonal issues. Etc. They should also implement a disabled vehicle assistance program. As in send a tow truck out to a vehicle broken down in a dangerous location.
I'm hoping that this management centre will show them just how fucked up traffic gets on Lag and Bishop.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 8:10 PM

RRC to unveil new Level 3 electric-vehicle charging station
Quick charger first of its kind in Manitoba

Quote:
The college is unveiling a Level 3 (30KW DC) electric-vehicle quick charging station at 10 a.m. at the Notre Dame campus this morning...Con't
From the WPG. FREE PRESS.....
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...ce=d-more-news

The photo was too large to post..maybe availble from the RRC campus site...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 1:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 1:41 PM

^ Nice place! I was going to ask if it was a rental property of yours, but it looks way too well kept for that.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:23 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It belongs to my son, they bought a bigger house just north.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:27 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Interesting read about what's going on "over there".

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/04/...r-construction

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 4:20 PM
North End Troublemaker

I sent the below email to my community committee and was informed today that it will not be discussed at their meeting. I'm assuming because all transportation related issues this year were already accounted for in the budget process, but I still feel sad that Main Street will continue to be 70+ kilometers per hour.

Quote:
Good Afternoon Councillors of the West Kildonan Community Committee!

First, I would like to preface this email with some words of praise for Councillor Sharma. I am glad that she is starting to see that Riverbend, Rivergrove, and River Ridge are in need of some Active Transportation (AT) infrastructure upgrades and look forward to meeting with you at the coming AT open house at Red River Community Centre.

Now to the crux of my email; the reduction of the speed limit (so to speak) on Main Street from Seaforth to the North City Limits.

This topic has come up to the Community Committee a fair number of times; Councillor O’Shaughnessy asked the Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works (IRPW) Committee to look into it in 2008 when West Kildonan first opened its door on Ridgecrest, to the latest time in 2011, when Councillor Sharma, in her capacity on the IRPW Committee, motion that the Public Services recommendations to not reduce the speed limit was carried. I am asking that the Community Committee revisit this request, but with a slight change.

Appendix A of report 90 from the public service to the IRPW committee regarding the speed limit reduction (link to report on DMIS) states the following:

“The Public Works Department recommendation to the Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works for any speed limit change is based on the measured 85th percentile speed of traffic on the street. This is the speed at or below which 85% of motorists operate their vehicles…Such a criterion recognizes that the majority of motorists operate their vehicles in a reasonable and prudent manner with due consideration for conditions encountered. This includes activity into and out of intersecting public streets and approaches, as well as the presence of pedestrians and bicyclists on or near the roadway. (emphasis added)”

Further to this quote, the reasoning behind why the reduction was not approved was because:

“Traffic laws that reflect the behaviour of the majority of motorists are found to be successful while laws that arbitrarily restrict the majority of motorists… usually fail to bring about desirable changes in driving behaviour.”

In this regard I am fully in agreement with Mr. Luis Escobar, Manager of Transportation and author of the report. But this does not change the fact that many in the community want, not just the speed limit, but the operating speed of this road segment to be 60 kilometers per hour. According to the report the 85th percentile speed for this road segment is between 71 and 76 kilometers per hour depending on segment, which is far too high. So, instead of asking the Public Service to reduce the speed limit of Main Street from Seaforth to the North City Limits, I am asking, through the Community Committee, for the Public Service to look into reducing the operating speed of Main Street from Seaforth to the North City Limits through design element changes.

Now a remark on the how of accomplishing this; to this I respond with AT integration.

The Transportation Association of Canada publication “Geometric Design Guide for Canadian Roads”, which is the nationally recognized code for the Canadian jurisdiction with regard to transportation standards, codes and guidelines, states that the speed of vehicles on a roadway depends, in general, on several conditions, one of which includes physical characteristics of the road and its surroundings. This is further supported in a study published by the Connecticut Department of Transportation, which states:

“These findings demonstrate that through careful, intentional selection of roadway and roadside design elements, it is possible to influence the running speed of traffic on a road… It is possible to influence drivers’choice of speed through design of roadway and roadside elements; but many existing roads cue drivers to travel much faster than the posted speed limit and the [speed] the community would like”.

I believe the above quote could be attributed to the design elements of Main Street in this segment from Seaforth to the North City Limits. The design elements cue drivers to drive much faster than the community wants. With this in mind I am asking, through this committee, that the public service looks at the possibility of redesigning this section of Main Street to change the roadway and roadside design elements to reduce the operating speed of Main Street. As noted by the Public Works Department in their report, quote above, and paraphrased here: the majority of motorists will operate their vehicles with due consideration to conditions which include the presence of pedestrians and bicycles on or near the roadway. Thus I believe that the integration of AT infrastructure would be good measures towards a reduction in design/operating speed of Main Street in this section.

Please feel free to contact me regarding this email.

Cheers,
Steve Snyder

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan