HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 AM

I wonder if Lululemon has the power in their lease to block them from coming into Polo Park?
Apparently some retailers have the ability written into their leases to block direct competitors in the same malls they are in.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 7:25 AM

So Indigo Will Take Over Two Chapters Locations In Winnipeg

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:58 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Chapters is Indigo. As far as I know, they're just rebranding.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 4:51 PM

Well, Garage is set to reopen by Wednesday at St Vital, work finished up over the weekend.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Indigo took over Chapters in 2000 and has been using both nameplates. So its just a rebranding. They also control Coles which I guess they run as the smaller formal stores.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 9:24 PM

most of the coles have been rebranded "indigo spirit" haven't they?

------------

Rockport Shoes is opening a store in Polo Park in april according to retail insider as part of its canadian expansion

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 9:32 PM

For sure Coles still exists in Kildonan Place. Not sure of anywhere else.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 9:38 PM

Pretty sure its still a Cole's at work at City Place. I walk by there but never look at the name over the door.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 9:42 PM

Coles at Cityplace still exists - come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen an "Indigo Spirit"

Then again, downtown Winnipeg locations are a little slow to get the rebrands. Our downtown HBC store will probably still have the old school yellow "The Bay" signs 10 years from now.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I wonder if Lululemon has the power in their lease to block them from coming into Polo Park?
First, with another yoga retailer already open in Polo almost directly across from Lululemon I doubt they have an exclusion clause in their lease. My understanding is most exclusion clauses are more common with food outlets, ie only one burger chain in the mall.

That said, even if Lululemon did have an exclusion clause in their lease it would not really apply to Kit and Ace as they are not a direct competitor to Lululemon. An interesting side story there is what is now Kit and Ace was pitched to Lululemon as a possible new product line and passed on.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 5:14 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
First, with another yoga retailer already open in Polo almost directly across from Lululemon I doubt they have an exclusion clause in their lease.
My understanding is that Lululemon is the parent company of the store across from them (ivivva) which is an athletic/dance wear store for young girls-teens.

I may be wrong though.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 5:44 PM

^^ A quick search turns up that ivivva is indeed a related brand to Lululemon. Even still, a possible exclusion clause for Lululemon would be based around direct competition, ie yoga/exercise retailers. Kit and Ace is marketing more of a modern, upscale business casual attire. Very different markets and other than the backers that started both companies no real overlap. That is partly why the pitch was passed on at Lululemon.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:35 AM

How long until book stores go the way of video rental stores?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:40 AM

well, considering there is still a coles in cityplace, i think bookstores still have a few years left by that single measure. i did buy a book from there today so i did my part.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 5:05 AM

Book stores are a lot like music stores, they have really started to shift their focus. In terms of music it used to be CDs first with a back corner selling a few band shirts. Now the product mixed has really flipped with t-shirts, etc being up front. HMV in Portage Place is starting to look more like a Hot Topic than the old Sam The Music Man. Book stores are going through a similar change shifting away from print, especially the non-fiction sections and more towards things that are bound stacks of paper. They have has been lots of stores that closed, at one time St Vital Center had three book stores and at least two music stores, now there is one of each.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:04 PM

No Frills on Notre Dame looks like it is getting close to (re)opening. They had a sign up saying they were hiring staff earlier this week and renovations continue on the place. I do wonder if this and the Main St location are included in the 50 stores Loblaws is opening this year. That story made it sound like net new locations however as we well know neither of these Winnipeg sites is really new.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
No Frills on Notre Dame looks like it is getting close to (re)opening. They had a sign up saying they were hiring staff earlier this week and renovations continue on the place. I do wonder if this and the Main St location are included in the 50 stores Loblaws is opening this year. That story made it sound like net new locations however as we well know neither of these Winnipeg sites is really new.
The two No Frills locations in Winnipeg are franchisee owned, so don't think that would be considered opened by Loblaws.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:30 PM

I'm looking forward to the No Frills stores. It'll be a bit of a more convenient alternative to Superstore for anyone who lives near the centre of town... close, and not as much of a pain to contend with as the mammoth RCSS outlets are.

It'll also be good for inner city dwellers too... these two stores will address the concerns that some had about the emergence of a food desert. I'd say central Winnipeg is fairly well covered now from a food standpoint... the only part of town where proximity to supermarkets is an issue is in the Selkirk Avenue part of the North End, but even they have had a new option come up in the last couple of years (Neechi Commons on Main).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:51 PM

^^ The condos on Waterfront are likely as far from a major grocery store as the Selkirk Ave area is from the McGregor and Mountain Safeway. Often when people talk about the "food desert" they are really saying "there is no 60,000+ sq ft, major chain grocery store that is within a walkable distance from my condo on Waterfront". I know there was lots of outcry over the closure of the Extra Foods on Main St when the then Safeway, now Coop, immediately next door remained open. It often gets wrapped up as being about inner city poverty though.

In terms of if Loblaws in counting the No Frills stores in their 50 store count it is hard to truly say due to the lack of information in their press release. While the new locations are both franchise locations they are flying a Loblaws owned banner, featuring Loblaws private label products on properties leased from Loblaws. I think there is a pretty good chance they are being counted in the 50 stores.

In terms of the former Polo Park Target location, Shindico, the leasing agent for the site, posts this on their site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindico Blog
It’s going to be difficult and costly if that store needs to be subdivided, and it would also take time. Ideally, another department store would be the most suitable and compatible tenant with the vision for the rest of the site.
Source

Their leasing site also lists the size on that location as being 140,000 sq ft which rules out virtually every retailer with established operations in Canada that would be willing to consider a new location in Winnipeg. My guess is that you could perhaps talk Sears into moving their from Polo Park but you would be throwing out some pretty heavy concessions to make that happen. The Sear space in the mall is of course far more attractive but the mall as a whole would likely see long term benefit in having Simons move into that space. Having waited out the Winnipeg market for many years I doubt that Simons would be interested in trying to anchor the free standing Plaza site instead.

Other interesting notes from the Shindico site is the Plaza site conceptual plans now include their "Outlets At Polo Park" concept featuring an approximately 30,000 sq ft anchor which would in the south east corner of the site. The north east corner now is listing a hotel. Between the hotel on the north east corner and the Target site (north west) is a grocery store still listed. Comparing the size to the Outlet anchor is looked to be around 30,000 sq ft which would roughly match the size of larger ethnic focused stores like T&T. No where to be found though is the residential component which the City of Winnipeg had included as a bid condition when selling the site.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 7:46 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Airport zoning does not allow any more residential development in the Polo Park area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan