HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 5:28 AM

http://m.tucsonnewsnow.com/tusconnew...ntent/8fMAt6T5

According to KOLD, the Marist project hit a hurdle in getting finance for its project. They lost a sponsor for the project setting up a delay or possibly a different design. Also in the article, a commercial development is suppose to start in July for the empty lot west of I-10 on Congress.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
http://m.tucsonnewsnow.com/tusconnew...ntent/8fMAt6T5

According to KOLD, the Marist project hit a hurdle in getting finance for its project. They lost a sponsor for the project setting up a delay or possibly a different design. Also in the article, a commercial development is suppose to start in July for the empty lot west of I-10 on Congress.
The commercial development is the container park. Sounds like Rio Nuevo will end up putting up the money for the Marist project.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
And here's random slip I'll throw out there...a waterpark is being looked at (scoping stage I'd say) off of I-10 between Park-ish and Palo Verde-ish. Breakers just doesn't cut it in my opinion...all my kid's friends, and our family included, opt for Wet n' Wild, Big Surf, or even Golfland in the Phx area. So I'd be excited if it ever happens.
I've been saying for years that someone who builds a good water park in Tucson would make so much money. How do you know about this? Any on-line documents?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I've been saying for years that someone who builds a good water park in Tucson would make so much money. How do you know about this? Any on-line documents?
A local consultant stated they were working on this. I checked, its not on their website.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 5:27 PM

Sounds like Rio Nuevo will end up putting up the money for the Marist project.

From the article, it sounds like they won't.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
Sounds like Rio Nuevo will end up putting up the money for the Marist project.

From the article, it sounds like they won't.
Did you read the full article?

Quote:
I think we can participate," McCusker said. "A million dollars is not a lot of money relative to some of the other things we're doing."

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:58 PM

One West Broadway - 070416

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 3:30 PM

Greyhound bus terminal

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/tu...1e7d00684.html

The Greyhound bus terminal will soon have a permanent home.

The Rio Nuevo Multipurpose Facilities District bought 46,107 square feet of vacant land at 801 E. 12th St. from Broadway Euclid LLC for $575,000.

At its June 28 meeting, the Rio Nuevo board initiated an invitation for bids to construct the new Greyhound terminal near Broadway and Euclid.

The $1.9 million project will be awarded to the lowest bidder that meets the requirements. Bids will be opened at the end of July, with the contract being awarded almost immediately thereafter, officials said. Once the terminal is constructed, it will be leased to Greyhound Corp.

Greyhound has been in a portable building near Broadway and Interstate 10 in downtown Tucson since 2006, when the city relocated the terminal from a site on Congress Street next to the Rialto Theatre to make way for student housing. It had been at the Congress Street site since 1969. The 1,500-square-foot terminal is expected to open by the end of the year...

(Hopefully this means things will pick-up at the arena site)

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthomas View Post
http://tucson.com/business/tucson/tu...1e7d00684.html

The Greyhound bus terminal will soon have a permanent home.

The Rio Nuevo Multipurpose Facilities District bought 46,107 square feet of vacant land at 801 E. 12th St. from Broadway Euclid LLC for $575,000.

At its June 28 meeting, the Rio Nuevo board initiated an invitation for bids to construct the new Greyhound terminal near Broadway and Euclid.

The $1.9 million project will be awarded to the lowest bidder that meets the requirements. Bids will be opened at the end of July, with the contract being awarded almost immediately thereafter, officials said. Once the terminal is constructed, it will be leased to Greyhound Corp.

Greyhound has been in a portable building near Broadway and Interstate 10 in downtown Tucson since 2006, when the city relocated the terminal from a site on Congress Street next to the Rialto Theatre to make way for student housing. It had been at the Congress Street site since 1969. The 1,500-square-foot terminal is expected to open by the end of the year...

(Hopefully this means things will pick-up at the arena site)

Speaking of the arena site... I've seen Rio Nuevo say they would like to work with the Arizona Coyotes on getting a 2nd ice rink downtown in a year or year and a half. I wonder if they plan to work a deal to make it a part of the arena site plan.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 11:21 PM

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 7:14 AM

Development coming to 4th ave

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 9:13 PM

https://www.azpm.org/p/featured-news...-safe-streets/

Did anyone see this? I would be super excited to see this master plan come to fruition if they can find the funding.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatmd View Post
https://www.azpm.org/p/featured-news...-safe-streets/

Did anyone see this? I would be super excited to see this master plan come to fruition if they can find the funding.
At National APA (American Planning Assoc.) conferences...the only bike blvds that really seem to be successful are the ones that are exclusively for bicycles, not the "shared" roadways. The other types are the separated lanes with barriers. In this plan, its more of a visibility and safety program. I support many aspects of it, but compared to what I've seen nationally, it's a stretch to call it a blvd.

Last edited by southtucsonboy77; Jul 21, 2016 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:15 PM

Preliminary site plan and renderings for the La Placita project.

Last edited by Ted Lyons; Jul 22, 2016 at 6:04 PM. Reason: Fixed duplicate image.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 4:10 PM

Thank you Mr. Lyons for sharing this...I wish I could share projects that come my way.

I truly try to be positive on these projects...for me personally, I was hoping for something a little different. The sky is the limit for this property.

I'm confused as to why these developments are favoring sprawling structural footprints...141 South on Stone is nearby. And the architecture...its very preliminary, but first thought was the horrifying "The Armory" that is on-hold by Peach Properties.

The "Visit Tucson" building is a replica of a historic Tucson home? On the corner of Church and Broadway?

Anyone see this differently?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Thank you Mr. Lyons for sharing this...I wish I could share projects that come my way.

I truly try to be positive on these projects...for me personally, I was hoping for something a little different. The sky is the limit for this property.

I'm confused as to why these developments are favoring sprawling structural footprints...141 South on Stone is nearby. And the architecture...its very preliminary, but first thought was the horrifying "The Armory" that is on-hold by Peach Properties.

The "Visit Tucson" building is a replica of a historic Tucson home? On the corner of Church and Broadway?

Anyone see this differently?
I'm not really sure what's going on with the Visit Tucson building here. Definitely not reflective of reality right now.

I agree that it's not the greatest use of this land, but it's better than I envisioned from HSL sadly. Given the lot size, this would be ideal for a ground floor grocery store, but there is nothing to suggest this is a multi-use project from these images.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
I'm not really sure what's going on with the Visit Tucson building here. Definitely not reflective of reality right now.

I agree that it's not the greatest use of this land, but it's better than I envisioned from HSL sadly. Given the lot size, this would be ideal for a ground floor grocery store, but there is nothing to suggest this is a multi-use project from these images.
In a nod to the existing complex, it appears HSL is keeping the corner building for the visitor's bureau; otherwise, it seems that they're dropping one of their suburban apartment building designs onto a prime downtown parcel, without any thought of activating the street-level traffic with retail/office, or connecting the project to the rest of the existing block containing the Ekbo gardens, Music Hall, etc. (And who knows what they have in mind for their empty white-elephant hotel next door.)

Hopefully, the city will insist on a more thoughtful, urban-oriented design that corrects the shortcomings. (And oddly, the renderings don't match the proportions shown on the site plan, particularly from the east elevation side.)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 8:39 PM

stb77: Please define "sprawling architectural footprint" and spell out reference to 141 Stone. Not quite getting what you are saying here.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Now View Post
stb77: Please define "sprawling architectural footprint" and spell out reference to 141 Stone. Not quite getting what you are saying here.
kaneui is spot-on and goes a little deeper into my thought about use...but physically downtown has a limited footprint. I know downtown has a ways to go in "infilling" a lot of other parcels, but its never too early to start planning and banking space. For example, the Unisource building went "up" rather than using all of their allotted space. Long-term, that surface parking lot just south of the Unisource building is planned for future development.

In kaneui's project list you'll see the current rendering of 141...its sprawled out horizontally on two relatively large downtown parcels. kaneui uses a good analogy of a typical apartment complex. Planning is my job...I'm a huge downtown enthusiast, so I say this with the utmost respect to the land owners...but boy that 141 development is a huge opportunity to go up, allow more density, and plan the 2nd parcel for the future. Architecturally, its too much of the same thing for a distance equal to 2 downtown blocks.

I'm completely shocked that HSL is going with the same concept...at a more prominent intersection/area of downtown mind you. I'm a "let's reach for 10-15 stories" kinda guy at this point. Like kaneui I was hoping for a more urban-oriented effort...at minimum.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 10:09 PM

La Placita Reconstruction

Please take this with a grain of salt...as its only my opinion...and we all have one. I think most revitalization in downtown is beneficial for Tucson but I think this project is about as good for Tucson as the "White Elephant" next door to it. I really thought something of significance would be placed here considering the location and economic/social cost to demo the current La Placita, which I was never a huge fan of.

This property could have been the middle staple pulling together the massive Nor Gen and Ronstadt developments.

I was hopeful that something huge would come out of this by combining the La Placita and Hotel Arizona real estates.

I am still hopeful that HSL's "Armory" is pre-preliminary due to the fact (which was stated by others) that the east rendering makes no sense in relation to the site layout rendering, and the salvaged building sits much closer to Broadway.

Only time will tell...and since this is HSL, time may be what we are in store for.

On a lighter note I am so proud to see downtown Tucson shaping into something so cool and so different from anything I grew up knowing. Thanks all for your contributions to this site! It is something I visit regularly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest