HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Exactly. The difference between street cars and light rail is not the light patterns but, rather, the presence of traffic. In an ideal environment, a street car would never hit a red light. In the real world, that's not possible given traffic speed. However, the lights will almost definitely be programmed to accomodate a regularized timing schedule.
I'm sort of trying to figure out how they're going to be programmed, though. There's a streetcar stop just to the west of Tyndall, so I would assume the light would turn red right as the streetcar is going through the intersection. Then the light's green for the cars on Tyndall trying to make a left, but they don't have anywhere to go because the streetcar's there. Seems like the cars on Tyndall would have to wait for a traffic light cycle without a streetcar present in order to get to make a left turn.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:39 PM

Talks start over future of Ronstadt Transit Center, possible commercial development

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...9bb2963f4.html

With construction activity in downtown occurring at a pace not seen in decades, Tucson city officials have begun to look at the Ronstadt Transit Center as the site of a possible mixed-use development.

“I’m encouraged by the fact that divergent groups in the community agree to not maintain the status quo for another 10 or 20 years,” said Councilwoman Karen Uhlich.

Uhlich requested the city begin a process of involving community members in discussions about the future of the transit center built in the early 1990s to serve as a hub for Sun Tran bus service. Recently, some downtown businesses have raised questions about the need for so many buses to converge downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaeffa View Post
I'm sort of trying to figure out how they're going to be programmed, though. There's a streetcar stop just to the west of Tyndall, so I would assume the light would turn red right as the streetcar is going through the intersection. Then the light's green for the cars on Tyndall trying to make a left, but they don't have anywhere to go because the streetcar's there. Seems like the cars on Tyndall would have to wait for a traffic light cycle without a streetcar present in order to get to make a left turn.
To add to what Mr. Lyons has stated, rule of thumb:

Streetcar traverses on normal travel lanes as vehicles, same interactions with driving, riding, and/or walking public; typically no dedicated lights or travel lanes, although the trend now, as is the case with express buses in larger metro areas, jurisdictions are working on giving streetcars and buses green light indicators at certain strategic locations, not all lights though.

Light Rail traverses on a dedicated lane and traffic lights are programmed; trains have the right-of-way, vehicles, bicyclists, and pedestrians are told to STOP till rails are clear.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:01 PM

Company plans to build 21+ turbine windfarm east of Tucson

Interesting non-downtown development news...

In what would be a first in Southern Arizona, a Texas-based company is looking to build a windfarm of 21 to 28 turbine generators standing up to 487 feet tall with blade diameters of 191½-feet, all of which would be capable of producing 51 megawatts of electricity that would be sold to Tucson Electric Power. The site is on desert land about 21 miles west of Willcox...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 6:45 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaeffa View Post
When they were putting the rail in, they completely rebuilt the curb on all four corners of that intersection with no layout, holes, or pre-digs, for extra poles for a light. I have a feeling that the Tyndall/University light might be down the timeline somewhere because the rail line poles at that intersection are set back too far to have lights.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...9bb2963f4.html

With construction activity in downtown occurring at a pace not seen in decades, Tucson city officials have begun to look at the Ronstadt Transit Center as the site of a possible mixed-use development.

“I’m encouraged by the fact that divergent groups in the community agree to not maintain the status quo for another 10 or 20 years,” said Councilwoman Karen Uhlich.

Uhlich requested the city begin a process of involving community members in discussions about the future of the transit center built in the early 1990s to serve as a hub for Sun Tran bus service. Recently, some downtown businesses have raised questions about the need for so many buses to converge downtown.
If PCC and Grand Canyon U moves in downtown, that area by Ronstadt better have a 20+ floor building. As you know, downtown may have some empty spaces available but at the same time, it isn't that big. Takes about 10 minutes walking from one end to the other (east-west). Can't wait to see the rendering of that development.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 10:56 PM
Tucsonan

The Ronstadt and the parking lot to the north and the railroad property north of that ALL have so much potential. The right development on these properties could be the centerpiece of downtown development! Its also a chance to make something thats a real standout, something with character. Retail, Public Space, plenty of pedestrian area, Residential, Good spot for highrise. I really hope they do something right here, because it could be something great. But.. i wont get my hopes up lol.

Im imagining something like a smaller scale City Creek Center in Salt Lake City

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 6:51 AM

I've been doing some research about City Target and other retailers moving into the city. What I learned was that Tucson is not a contender for a City Target. City Targets are typically over just half the size of a regular store (55k sqft) and they have been know to build their own buildings for the store. The market in Tucson for a city target is a lot smaller than needed. City Target has been successful and has 2 locations in SF, 2 in LA, 1 in Seattle, Portland and Chicago with more elsewhere. A better contender for downtown Tucson is Office Depot. Office Depot has built many stores within cities. These stores range from 5,000-17,000 square feet. Imagine owing an office supply store just minutes away from a university with 40k students. From what I've seen Walmart has tried to accomplish similar city goals in the Chicago but ultimately failed. They did not try to make their store seem special or different from the rest. (IMO the insides of new walmarts seem cheap and lazy. The ceilings are filled with thousands of the wires and utility lines and the ground is just cement.) From my understanding Kohls has also moved into the city. I do not know where or much about it but Tucson would also seem unlikely for that. We might be able to open a Kohls in the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges.

EDIT: Expect to see a Walgreens competing with CVS in the near future at Main Gate Square. Many jobs only allow one pharmacy in their health insurance plans and a Walgreens is still needed. Plus Tucson has been Walgreen's Territory for years, considering that they have over 45+ stores in the metro area. Walgreens is going to defend their territory.

I lost the list but Yahoo named Tucson the ninth best urban place to retire.

EDIT: I found the list http://finance.yahoo.com/news/these-...165606496.html

http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/11/2...s-pushing.html

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...itystores.html

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
I've been doing some research about City Target and other retailers moving into the city. What I learned was that Tucson is not a contender for a City Target. City Targets are typically over just half the size of a regular store (55k sqft) and they have been know to build their own buildings for the store. The market in Tucson for a city target is a lot smaller than needed. City Target has been successful and has 2 locations in SF, 2 in LA, 1 in Seattle, Portland and Chicago with more elsewhere. A better contender for downtown Tucson is Office Depot. Office Depot has built many stores within cities. These stores range from 5,000-17,000 square feet. Imagine owing an office supply store just minutes away from a university with 40k students. From what I've seen Walmart has tried to accomplish similar city goals in the Chicago but ultimately failed. They did not try to make their store seem special or different from the rest. (IMO the insides of new walmarts seem cheap and lazy. The ceilings are filled with thousands of the wires and utility lines and the ground is just cement.) From my understanding Kohls has also moved into the city. I do not know where or much about it but Tucson would also seem unlikely for that. We might be able to open a Kohls in the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges.

EDIT: Expect to see a Walgreens competing with CVS in the near future at Main Gate Square. Many jobs only allow one pharmacy in their health insurance plans and a Walgreens is still needed. Plus Tucson has been Walgreen's Territory for years, considering that they have over 45+ stores in the metro area. Walgreens is going to defend their territory.

Office Max is on Broadway and Euclid, it's been there for a long time now. So no need for another store of it's kind downtown in my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 6:37 PM
Teacher

Hub Image

Looking at the streaming video of the Level student housing, it looks like the Hub crane is up and ready to go! From what I can tell, it looks like UEB is the contractor for the Hub, so hopefully the video stays up for the duration of the Hub construction. http://www.uebbuilders.com/webcams/tyndall2.html

I seriously can't believe that these building are actually going vertical! I was up north and looking down at Tucson, one can see how Level stands out, and with Hub and Park Ave., it's going to look really nice.

By the way, the Aloft looks amazing at night! That's also a beautiful addition to the University area.

Last edited by oldpueblo; Apr 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 5:07 AM

Quote:

I was just in Seattle and had walked by their city Target. I didn't go inside but it was pretty cool seeing it there. Downtown Seattle is vibrant and has a lot of activity and so i was not surprised seeing it there. Downtown Tucson is slowly changing so it will probably be a while before we see a clothing store or pharmacy drug store again. I am hoping though that talks of building a strip mall along I-10 is still in consideration though (there was an article about that, I think it is part of the Greenline project?...). It would be really good if those plans come into fruition considering the streetcar and potentially the thousands of students who would use it to get to the mall and back. That would be awesome.

Also, inside tucson business just came out with an article about city leaders discussing developing Ronstadt again. I know many people on here is hoping the site gets developed but as we know, it will not come without opposition from people who want to keep it just the way it is.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 6:16 AM

I've got some old news from the suburbs.
Yet another major shopping center is planned for southeast Tucson.
The Valencia Crossings is a 850sqft powerhouse planned on the northeast corner of Valencia and Kolb. Most articles about the center are from late last year. The city council has approved of this annexation 7-0. This center is expected to get a movie theater. This is the only theater in the area. I am excited!! Hopefully it's a Harkins. If it was a century I'd be poor very fast.

http://www.woodmont.com/collateral/A...4767CB5095.pdf

BTW what's going on at Craycroft and I-10?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 10:18 AM

the Ronstadt getting something built over it would be cool because I can see dt from my house behind the Valencia library so a new highrise would make a wonderful addition from my POV

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 5:13 PM

Quote:
The Valencia Crossings is a 850sqft powerhouse planned on the northeast corner of Valencia and Kolb. Most articles about the center are from late last year. The city council has approved of this annexation 7-0. This center is expected to get a movie theater. This is the only theater in the area. I am excited!! Hopefully it's a Harkins. If it was a century I'd be poor very fast.

This seems like it would be a LONG way off. I would imagine they would have to do the Valencia re-alignment first before anything got built here. I know the widening of Valencia from Kolb to I-10 is still a couple years away at least, so I wouldn't get too excited for at least a few years from now.

Personally, I think that as the plans are now for Valencia, it's just another missed opportunity. They should be thinking of future congestion and put an elevated (or depressed) expressway over Valencia, over Wilmot (or grade-separated) that connects with I-10 with a new interchange. I'm just say'n...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
I was just in Seattle and had walked by their city Target. I didn't go inside but it was pretty cool seeing it there. Downtown Seattle is vibrant and has a lot of activity and so i was not surprised seeing it there. Downtown Tucson is slowly changing so it will probably be a while before we see a clothing store or pharmacy drug store again. I am hoping though that talks of building a strip mall along I-10 is still in consideration though (there was an article about that, I think it is part of the Greenline project?...). It would be really good if those plans come into fruition considering the streetcar and potentially the thousands of students who would use it to get to the mall and back. That would be awesome.

Also, inside tucson business just came out with an article about city leaders discussing developing Ronstadt again. I know many people on here is hoping the site gets developed but as we know, it will not come without opposition from people who want to keep it just the way it is.
Two new clothing stores actually just opened on Broadway between Stone and Herbert Ave. One was invested by a former U of A basketball player. I was thinking of stopping in, the clothes in the window looked pretty cool.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 6:10 PM

Weekend updates from Level and The Hub's crane.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 7:23 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:

this looks like a good spot for something.

I just wish Tucson had some more indoor shopping centers.. all we have is Park Place, Tucson Mall and Foothills Mall. Im getting tired of all these oversized shopping centers like Oro Valley Marketplace, Tucson Spectrum, etc. We used to have El Con, and I'm not sure if La Encantada counts since it outdoors...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
this looks like a good spot for something.

I just wish Tucson had some more indoor shopping centers.. all we have is Park Place, Tucson Mall and Foothills Mall. Im getting tired of all these oversized shopping centers like Oro Valley Marketplace, Tucson Spectrum, etc. We used to have El Con, and I'm not sure if La Encantada counts since it outdoors...
I think the era of malls like Tucson, Park, and Foothills is over. Newer mall construction, (for the better, IMO), seems to emphasize a less enclosed model. Strip centers like Spectrum and The Bridges aren't ideal but I think the most realistic step-up we could hope for is something like Santan Village or the north part of Tempe Marketplace.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 11:58 PM
Teacher

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, the Craycroft and I-10 parcel was bought by one of the major truck-stop companies. I think it was Pilot. It would seem odd, though, considering the old staple TTT is located there as well. Although, having the Pilot first from the west offramp would be beneficial.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 4:47 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
I think the era of malls like Tucson, Park, and Foothills is over. Newer mall construction, (for the better, IMO), seems to emphasize a less enclosed model. Strip centers like Spectrum and The Bridges aren't ideal but I think the most realistic step-up we could hope for is something like Santan Village or the north part of Tempe Marketplace.
Never heard of those so i looked up San Tan Village and it looks great. Love how the streets go through to make it seem like urban streets, also looks like the layout allows for a lot of room for future expansion if the owner desires, since all the 'blocks' are interconnected. Wish Tucson did have something like that. I think Marana Spectrum and Shops at Tangerine were supposed to be similar to that but those both got nixed.

I dont like these shopping centers that are just stores lined up long eachother with seas of parking lots in between.

I like outdoor Malls as long as their is dedicated areas for pedestrian traffic. One of my favorite malls I've been to was called Fashion Valley in San Diego and it was outdoor too, similar to La Encantada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest