HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 8:46 PM
Community Guy

Pretty awful stuff happening at the DECL Hall these days.

Downtown families meet other Downtown families at our bimonthly Urban Kids Playgroup! April 18th is the next date.

http://www.decl.org/2016/03/01/urban...tarts-march-7/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfS0Ut2UIAASTso.jpg:small

Urban Kids Playgroup Starts March 7
By Chris Buyze · March 1, 2016 at 1:39pm
Parents and caregivers and their children, ages 0 – 5, are invited to attend the first Urban Kids Playgroup on Monday, March 7 at the DECL Community Space (10042 103 St. NW). Drop in between 10:30am and noon.

Come play and meet new friends downtown!

DECL Memberships will be available for purchase for $5 if you aren’t a member already. $5 gives you membership for the whole family!

Mark your calendars – Urban Kids Playgroup will occur every two weeks, same time, same place!

For questions please contact us at info@decl.org

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Very much possible. Between Oliver, grandin and downtown, there are about 35,000 people. There are families, a hundred or two kids last census. Still a ways to go, but growing well with many new buildings, jobs, amenities and food options opening. The Legislature grounds are amazing as a backyard, McKay avenue park is home to many dog owner after work, kids too. Grandin is a wonderful urban community, school, park, playground.

I own a car, enthusiast, but don't need it 95% of he time. All amenities and needs are met within a walking distance hold a hardware store. I bus, lrt or cab if I want to go a bit further afar.

As for condos, lots of options but yes, many unfortunately have restrictions. My condo, the Omega, has no such restrictions and so we have had multiple families here. They can be found, don't lose hope.

Both Oliver and downtown have strong community leagues, event, support services, pool, rink, soccer even.

Edmonton has always had urban living, but it is getting better by the day.

Feel free to pm me.
We're neighbours. I'm in the Royal Park. Unfortunately it's adults-only here.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:59 PM
Community Guy

Child Friendly Edmonton - Cities Fit for Children Symposium
Thursday November 17, 2016
Santa Maria Goretti Centre - 9110-110 Ave.
9 am - 4 pm

You and/or your staff are personally invited to help shape Child Friendly Edmonton and Councillor Esslinger’s future plans to make our City an even better place for children and families. Please forward this email accordingly.

Learn from various dynamic national leaders who will be featured at the International Play Association (IPA) World Conference in 2017.

· Bob Yates - is a nationally recognized leader in innovative social and community planning and child friendly design.
· Pierre Harrison - launched PLAYLearnThink, a social enterprise focused on promoting the importance of play.
· Mary Ann Rintoul - is a Professor and Director of the Play Around the World program at the University of Alberta.
· Jane Hewes - is an Associate Professor and former Chair of the Early Learning and Child Care Program at MacEwan University.
· Paul St. Arnaud - works with the City of Edmonton in neighborhood revitalization and building great neighborhoods through playspace design.
*Full speaker bios are available on the Eventbrite registration link.

By attending this Symposium you will:
· Hear from national leaders in urban planning and playspace design, child development and engagement, play leadership and the 2017 IPA Conference,
· Learn about best practices from around the world and,
· Provide your expertise on the future direction of Child Friendly Edmonton

This Symposium is intended for professionals who have a role in planning, building and designing spaces, places and programs for children in Edmonton. This can include: policy makers, urban planners, architects, school boards, teachers, child care providers and recreation staff among others!

The Symposium is free but space is limited, please register at childfriendlyseries.eventbrite.ca by November 10th.

Child Friendly Edmonton is pleased to be hosting several learning events during this week. Please visit the Eventbrite link for more information on the series of events.

Please contact Allie Pratley, Child Friendly Edmonton Coordinator at allison.pratley@edmonton.ca should you have any questions.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:28 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 5:33 PM
Community Guy

A good report from Toronto, thanks CMD, on planning for children in vertical communities.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2...file-98096.pdf

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 6:20 PM

I don't know if there's been a rule change or just a policy change in my buildings, but I've now noticed at least a few kids coming in and out for several months now. It's looking like no longer adults-only, which is a good sign that more people with kids are seeing downtown as an option.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
I don't know if there's been a rule change or just a policy change in my buildings, but I've now noticed at least a few kids coming in and out for several months now. It's looking like no longer adults-only, which is a good sign that more people with kids are seeing downtown as an option.
Adults only will be long gone soon. http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...n-alberta.html

Writing has been on the wall for awhile.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 6:32 PM

Great to see! Nice to see Shepherd taking a lead on the issue.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 5:59 AM

That's great, I'm very pleased. Ultimately I think this will make the downtown core a much better place!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Adults only will be long gone soon. http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...n-alberta.html

Writing has been on the wall for awhile.
I wouldn't assume so. Condo associations are working hard to get owners to write their MLAs to "share their opinion" i.e. retain 55+ and 18+ restricted buildings. An instigator (and 90%+ of the audience) thinks 18+ buildings are a no-brainer for exemption.

People who assume age restrictions are going away might want to share their support with MLAs...where's kcantor's letter writing skills when you need them?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 9:25 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
That's great, I'm very pleased. Ultimately I think this will make the downtown core a much better place!
The entire Province a much more inclusive and better place.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:51 PM
Community Guy

https://cfhca.ca/

DESCRIPTION
Please join the Child-Friendly Housing Coalition of Alberta (CFHCA) in partnership with The Hendrix, for the CFHCA's official campaign launch to end discriminatory housing practices in Alberta. This community party takes place on Saturday, April 8 from 1-3 pm on the rooftop lounge of Edmonton's newest family-friendly luxury apartment building - located just steps from Grandin LRT.
This free event is open to members of the public.
Tours and family-friendly activities run from 1-3 pm. Media event begins at 2 pm, with presentations from community leader MLA David Shepherd.

Activities include:
• Guided tours of The Hendrix
• Board games station
• Children’s Art Station: Make your own postcards
• Puppy petting zoo
• Food and beverages
• Information about carshare programs, sustainable communities & family-friendly businesses and services downtown
• Opportunity to share your personal housing story in support of CFHCA's goal to end discriminatory housing practices
This is an amazing opportunity to connect with other families raising children (and fur babies!) downtown, and to experience first hand what it feels like to live in an inclusive, walkable, family-friendly community. Parking is limited so please consider walking, cycling, or taking the LRT (and don’t forget to invite grandpa and grandma along too!)
The Hendrix is located at 9733 111th Street NW. Please use the South exit at the Grandin LRT Station.
www.hendrixliving.com
For More Information Contact :
Jodie McKague - Director, Media Relations & Community Outreach
Child-Friendly Housing Coalition of Alberta (CFHCA)
hello@cfhca.ca
www.cfhca.ca
(780) 996-0489

Malcolm Mo - National Director of Marketing
Rhapsody Property Management Services
MalcolmMo@rhapsodyliving.ca
www.rhapsodyliving.ca

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:10 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:25 PM
HVAC guru

That's why for most the single family house will always be the preferred living arrangement

No listening to kids screaming or the neighbours fighting or putting up with obnoxious smells or petulant condo nazis.. Been there done that!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:27 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:12 PM
Community Guy

Basic initial needs assessment for the new Downtown playground in Dick Mather Park.

What do you want to see?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KJRJGDB

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:34 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
That's why for most the single family house will always be the preferred living arrangement

No listening to kids screaming or the neighbours fighting or putting up with obnoxious smells or petulant condo nazis.. Been there done that!
You are 100%. For the majority of the people out there, most ultimately would prefer to live in a single detached home. But for many in most major centres it's simply unattainable. We're very fortunate to be an affordable market where people can still afford a single family home. But that too has been changing.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
You are 100%. For the majority of the people out there, most ultimately would prefer to live in a single detached home. But for many in most major centres it's simply unattainable. We're very fortunate to be an affordable market where people can still afford a single family home. But that too has been changing.
There's definitely a culture in Edmonton that prefers the single family home, but that doesn't obtain everywhere. In Chicago my neighborhood (denser and more urban than anything in Edmonton or probably in Canada) is filled with families who prefer urban living (prices in Chicago aren't much higher than Edmonton, so they could afford a suburban house further out, if they wanted to). Families, of course, shouldn't be forced to live downtown, but there should be options for them, especially as Edmonton grows and attracts people from other areas of the world that don't have this obsession with cookie-cutter suburban lifestyles. For me, ultimately, I'd like to see a lot more rowhouses and townhouses in Oliver and other central urban areas. This is the best of both worlds: dense, urban, pedestrian living, but also a small yard and more of a sense of community than a big faceless highrise. Just my two cents.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Basic initial needs assessment for the new Downtown playground in Dick Mather Park.

What do you want to see?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KJRJGDB
Thanks for posting--I filled it out. I'm a little out of the loop as I'm in Chicago this year (back in Edmonton in 2018). We used to use this park a lot, so I'm glad a playground is going in (seems like an obvious place). What's happening to the dogs, though? People (including me) like to take dogs down there and run them off leash. What I'd really like to see is what they do in many cities--a 3-foot fence cordoning off the playground from the rest of the park. That keeps the kids safe, prevents them from running on the road, and keeps them safe from the dogs and vice versa.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:05 AM
Community Guy

Balance. I take my pup there regularly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton