HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 5:28 PM
Community Guy

^phenomenal.......this is very big for Edmonton considering only a couple of years ago you had to whitemud all of this.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:03 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Wonderful news. Can't wait to try it when we come up to visit family on the Nov. 11 weekend. It will make by-passing Edmonton much easier. I must admit I'm somewhat jealous. Edmonton now has 2 legs of their ring road open. We (Calgary) still have to wait another year for the first portion to open, and another few years for the second portion.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:06 PM
Community Guy

NW portion of the ring will be pretty easy.......but the NE will take some time. Here is hoping they fast track it all.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:44 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Wonderful news. Can't wait to try it when we come up to visit family on the Nov. 11 weekend. It will make by-passing Edmonton much easier. I must admit I'm somewhat jealous. Edmonton now has 2 legs of their ring road open. We (Calgary) still have to wait another year for the first portion to open, and another few years for the second portion.
I'll trade your LRT for our ring-road any day. Except the downtown underground portion of ours.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 1:59 AM
Kevin Folds Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
I'll trade your LRT for our ring-road any day. Except the downtown underground portion of ours.
Love it, hate it, really - this is great for our city. Good for residence, good for industry, good for business. Move people, product & pollution much much better.

Anywho, I won't be using it, but the thing has TWENTY BRIDGES!!! I had no idea! Crazy. I will drive it just to go over the 20 bridges.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:34 AM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
Love it, hate it, really - this is great for our city. Good for residence, good for industry, good for business. Move people, product & pollution much much better.

Anywho, I won't be using it, but the thing has TWENTY BRIDGES!!! I had no idea! Crazy. I will drive it just to go over the 20 bridges.
I think the 20 bridges include the flyover/spans used for overpasses and twin N/S overpasses.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:28 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Congrats Edmonton.
Will the remaining portions of the ring road in the north be built without traffic lights ?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:30 AM

That is the goal. There are one or two sets left on the west side that still need to be replaced with interchanges (at least when I was up there this summer), but when its all completed there shouldn't be any traffic lights on the entire loop.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:53 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
I know... I'm just saying I'd rather be in the position Calgary is in right now. built out LRT, and ring-road in 5+ years.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:33 PM

Drove the new stretch this morning. Fantastic, moves quickly. AAAAAnnnnnd then I hit the south west portion. That was the first time I drove the SW during a rush hour. What a joke. Callingwood road was backed up for at least a mile, as was SPR.
From Sherwood Park Fwy heading south on henday it took about 9 minutes to get to calgary trail. From Calgary Trail to Yellowhead - about 35 minutes
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:39 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
Drove the new stretch this morning. Fantastic, moves quickly. AAAAAnnnnnd then I hit the south west portion. That was the first time I drove the SW during a rush hour. What a joke. Callingwood road was backed up for at least a mile, as was SPR.
From Sherwood Park Fwy heading south on henday it took about 9 minutes to get to calgary trail. From Calgary Trail to Yellowhead - about 35 minutes
Yep. The SW leg really wasn't planned well. Was the SW portion "P3"? If not, perhaps this is a testament to the viability of P3 projects...?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:35 PM
Community Guy

^no it wasnt...good to hear about the SE though.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:30 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Congrats Edmonton.
Will the remaining portions of the ring road in the north be built without traffic lights ?
Craner - about a month ago, Stelmach approved the next phase to do the remaining 90% of the northern section. That section will be done light free with flyovers and some full interchanges

Not yet announced is the funding for the section from Manning freeway (hwy15) in the NE to the first part of AHD in the east (hwy 14/hwy16)

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:30 PM
Urban Advocate

so what is the biggest problem for the SW portion? I've never driven it during rush-hour.w

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:32 PM
Community Guy

^100km/h to 70km/h with a light at cameron heights (just west of the river)...then another light and 70km/h again then another...all before whitemud.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:42 PM
HVAC guru

Those lights should definitely not be there. I took the Volvo out for a burn on the SW AHD last friday afternoon to try out the new camshaft & injectors we put in & the traffic back-ups at those two lights and at the lights at Stoney Plain Road were ridiculous!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:54 PM
Change is good

Heres the problem - the lights on the westside. The rest will be light free

I've updated this map to include the lights, and the new completed portion in approriate colours.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:59 PM
HVAC guru

^The lights at the yellowhead will disappear once NE is open, Yes ?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^The lights at the yellowhead will disappear once NE is open, Yes ?
Correct. If I recall from when I was up there this summer they'd already built up the approaches to where the bridge will be, so ignoring any re-doing of that earth moving, those lights will probably be the first to go.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 5:45 PM
Majestic

My prediction: By 2020 Edmonton (and Calgary) will be looking at a second ring road to deal with the effects of the first ones...

(Hello Houston, Beijing, etc. here we come!)

Ring Roads: The best thing EVAR for suburban land development corporations...

Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton