HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
Do you think Andy Fillmore will resign as MP and run for mayor instead? If he does, what are people's thoughts on that?
Seems if he wants to keep working he better find a new position sooner or later if polls are any indication (or sentiment)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Not Mason one hopes. Or if he does run, that he finishes last.
Mason has already said he would run if Savage wasnt.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 9:31 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Oh, joy, oh, bliss.... Please someone run against him!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 6:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Oh, joy, oh, bliss.... Please someone run against him!
Maybe if Waye Mason runs, Keith will run against him.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
This sub: "Oh we can't ever be a biking city because no one will bike in the weather."

Also this sub: "Who do those bikers think they are, biking in the weather?"
I've seen one since the last storm. It was dicey with the large snow banks. I gave him a large swath when there wasn't anybody coming in the other direction. The driver behind me must not have been paying attention as I saw him just swerve around him at the last second.

Definitely only the most dedicated of cyclists out in this weather, but I do fear for their safety.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 1:20 PM

Last day to email comments on density amendments

This is the last day to email feedback on amendments to allow for more density as-of-right in Halifax! The usual suspects have staged a write-in campaign for less density. Share your thoughts at haf@halifax.ca.

As you know Halifax is under pressure to allow more density as part of the Housing Accelerator Fund agreement. You can see the amendments here:https://www.halifax.ca/about-halifax...celerator-fund.

Some of the notable amendments:

- Allow a minimum of four units in all low-rise residential zones in the Urban Service Area
- Permit more than 4 units per lot in the Regional Centre, including through internal conversion in some areas
- Increase the maximum height and gross floor area of accessory structures
- Increase maximum lot coverage in the Established Residential (ER) zones within the Regional Centre
- Increase max bedrooms in Er-2 and ER-3
-Increase max. height to 40 storeys and max. Floor Area Ratio (FAR) to 10 in most Centre (CEN) Zones
- Remove parking requirements for all residential development in the Regional Centre and Suburban Area

Sorry if this topic has been done to death - I did a search and didn't come up with much.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Matthews View Post
Mason has already said he would run if Savage wasnt.
I cringe at the thought of Pizza Wars Waye being our mayor

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 2:39 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if you got a vote for every piece of real estate you own in a municipality. That way people who actually have more investment in the municipality have more voting power. I can't stand people who are so anti development and somehow councils bow to them just so they can get their votes

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 2:41 PM

A city should be viewed as a corporation

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
A city should be viewed as a corporation
?

HRM is a corporation.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice if you got a vote for every piece of real estate you own in a municipality.
Thinking that through for about five seconds should make it clear what a total disaster it would be.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice if you got a vote for every piece of real estate you own in a municipality. That way people who actually have more investment in the municipality have more voting power. I can't stand people who are so anti development and somehow councils bow to them just so they can get their votes
In theory, if our city operates in a purely democratic manner, then the tides could be turned simply by those of us who are pro-development being more active in hearings, information sessions, etc in the way the NIMBYs are in order to demonstrate and represent the pro-development populus.

Giving the voting power to property owners is a terrible idea, however. Bear in mind property owners are increasingly large corporate entities optimizing for profit. This would likely just entrench those myriad issues that have already made life far worse for the average person in NS these past few years.

In my view, although our government would function better if it operated more like a company, it should be a company whose key performance metric is the quality of life of its citizens. Parametric analysis of the inputs that affect quality of life and their externalities should be paramount. Unfortunately, ineptitude abounds.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 5:05 PM

In my view, although our government would function better if it operated more like a company, it should be a company whose key performance metric is the quality of life of its citizens. Parametric analysis of the inputs that affect quality of life and their externalities should be paramount. Unfortunately, ineptitude abounds.[/QUOTE]

It seems to me that the present administration has worried a little too much about the tent folks but alas a National Music event is imminent so the front porch is being tidied up. I wonder why the old Nova Scotia Hospital has not been re opened to solve a number of our present problems. Hard roof shelter combined with close by professional mental health and dependency resources.
Seems like a DUH opportunity.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
But it doesn't stop some cyclists, it's crazy what weather some folks will bike in.
Montreal just expanded its bixi bike share program into Winter. I wonder what the experience is there? Is it a response to the winter biking behaviour of non-bike-share-bikers? How many people take advantage of bixi in the winter, now that it's available?

Seems to me that people most prepared to bike in a Montreal winter would ALSO own their own bikes, but wonder if that's true.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 3:31 PM

As winters get less and less snowy there are greater opportunities for people to continue biking year round. Canadian winters aren't what they used to be.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikesBikes View Post
As winters get less and less snowy there are greater opportunities for people to continue biking year round. Canadian winters aren't what they used to be.
Absolutely, I don't know what these comments are about how crazy it is to bike in winter. It's hard to bike during an active snowstorm. That's about it. I biked from the far North End to downtown and back yesterday. It was pleasant and relatively mild, there was no problem at all when it came to weather. The real problem was haphazardly cleared bike lanes full of slush and snow boulders. That's not a seasonal problem, it's a problem of priorities. We wouldn't let the streets look like that days after a snowfall, why let bike lanes--essentially also a lane of traffic--look like that? Priorities.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
The real problem was haphazardly cleared bike lanes full of slush and snow boulders.
Absolutely that's the problem. The cyclist that I mentioned in my previous post wasn't doing anything wrong, it's just that the lanes were narrowed because of the large snowbanks, so there was less room for all vehicles, plus it was dark which made it more difficult to see him (apparently for the driver behind me).

So no wonder that there was only 1 cyclist that I saw on the road, given the conditions.

That said, there are realities, such as after a large dump of snow, the first priority is to clear the roads as well as possible for the majority of users, which are cars and trucks. This is done by pushing the snow to the side, which invariably narrows lanes after a large snowfall. These lanes need to later be widened by use of a snowblower and dump trucks to haul it away, which obviously takes more time. This is for areas where a "bike lane" is just a painted line on the roadway anyhow.

For dedicated bike lanes, there's no excuse for them not to be cleared at the same rate as sidewalks, since the equipment used would be the same.

It sounds like, perhaps, more of a budget issue or a contractor equipment issue if the clearing isn't happening as quickly as desired.

One would think, though, that there would be somebody behind the scenes who might question why we need all this budget for the few cyclists who will use the lanes in the winter, without realizing that if they improve the infrastructure, they will get more cyclists, in theory at least.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Montreal just expanded its bixi bike share program into Winter. I wonder what the experience is there? Is it a response to the winter biking behaviour of non-bike-share-bikers? How many people take advantage of bixi in the winter, now that it's available?

Seems to me that people most prepared to bike in a Montreal winter would ALSO own their own bikes, but wonder if that's true.
I think that last point is correct.

Just yesterday I stumbled upon and watched a walkaround video on YT of the area of NYC encompassing 42nd St and 6th Ave. It was snowing and there was an inch or two on the ground. I believe NYC has a public E-bike program (they looked different from a Victorian bike) and the camera passed by what must have been a hub where they are available for use or returnable. There looked to be a hundred or so of them, all untouched and snow-covered, so many that the storage area was full. Nobody wanted to ride one in the snow and slop. Wisely, no doubt.

Last edited by Keith P.; Feb 20, 2024 at 6:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

For dedicated bike lanes, there's no excuse for them not to be cleared at the same rate as sidewalks, since the equipment used would be the same.
After the first of the two big snow dumps we got in February it took HRM 4 days to clear the sidewalk in front of my house. I get that; it was a very large, heavy snowfall and since I had cleared a path to get to the street it wasn’t like my front door was totally inaccessible. But far more people use the sidewalks than do bike lanes. Sidewalks in most areas need to come first. In fact I wonder if any thought was ever given to declaring some sort of “snow status” when there’s a heavy snowfall, where certain sidewalks are declared temporarily OK for use by the few cyclists wanting to try to ride, and where pedestrians use that side at their own risk until the bike lanes are eventually cleared and the special status revoked. It would almost like a parking ban except with different provisions.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
Do you think Andy Fillmore will resign as MP and run for mayor instead? If he does, what are people's thoughts on that?
Looks like he'll run

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mp-andy-...ayor-1.6776204

Who you got, Keith? Fillmore or Mason? Democracy is great (and hard choices!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth