HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 7:59 PM

I would think that this development would provide plenty of consumers for Winnipeg Square without having to keep P&M closed. I guess the small picture aspect is wanting to funnel people underground. But there is probably a bigger picture way of looking at this.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
You are heavily misreading the factors in why Graham is being developed over Portage or Main. Portage Ave from Main to Colony is almost all 4+ stories of occupied buildings. Graham over that same stretch has a number of significant surface lots. Even on Main St, the west side which has decent lot size unlike the tightly packed in east side, mostly has existing buildings. Granted Main St has some buildings that are heavily underused it still costs money to tear something down. It all comes down to opportunity costs first.

From memory Broadway has similar issues, sure there is one surface lot next to the Union Center but that is more securely held than the "never to be developed" lot behind WCB. The only other real opportunity short of demoing an existing building is the surface lot next to the Subway.

Just because you don't see projects on Portage, Main or Broadway does not mean there is not interest in those streets it just means the opportunities are not currently there. No developer is going to push their land acquisition costs through the roof just to locate one block north and be on Portage Ave.
There are plenty of streets downtown with surface lots in abundance... Graham is only one of them, yet it's the one seeing development. Not coincidentally, it has by far the best transit service and is walkable not only in the sense of its own streetfronts, but in terms of nearby shops and services (in Cityplace and elsewhere).

In other words, it has plenty of the things that draw people to an area. There's a reason that the three residential towers aren't going up on the many surface lots along York Avenue instead. Let's not forget that there are places on Portage that could support new development too... the pads at Portage Place for one, as well as some smaller commercial buildings that could be redeveloped.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:35 PM

Wait Portage Place has other areas to build on? Im confused...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:39 PM

There are two "pad" sites for tower locations. To me a pad site is a gravel lot for an A&W or something. But anyways, there are locations at either end where a tower can be built on top. Also, I've heard those towers behind Portage Place are riddled with bed bugs and the like. Might have been discussed here on SSP.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ As desirable as downtown residential is, the original office tower plan would have been much better for that site... even though the tower at 40 storeys will probably be around the same height as the ~30 storey office tower in the original plan, it'll probably have a much smaller footprint meaning much less density on the site. Office space is a bit of a sure thing while with rentals, who knows
Office is definitely not a sure thing.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 9:01 PM
the first stamp is free

I like the idea of pumping as much residential as possible downtown. The area is so huge that office space and the potential for more office space if demand requires it, will always be there.

In the meantime, lets put some more underused real estate to use - like this.

Without a foundation to worry about, excavation, etc., it is conceivable that this new tower could rise very quickly, and if it is rentals, it could start as soon as the permits are in - as pre-sales will not determine if the project is viable.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocket View Post
Office is definitely not a sure thing.
I should clarify, I meant that office towers tend to be a sure thing when it comes to retaining their clientele. Apartments can easily go downhill... Place Promenade went from being upscale in the 80s and 90s, to midmarket by the 00s, to now where the towers are looking pretty down at the heels.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Has Artis actually expressed their opinion? They bought the tower in 2012. I know that the previous owners expressed opposition to opening, but I don't know if Artis actually came out against it since buying the property.
Privately they have yes

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that approvals in Winnipeg are normally conditional on a traffic plan for the building which includes a specific minimum number of parking units.
They also look at is the location transit friendly. With the the complex being bounded on 3 sides with major bus routes that will have an impact on the number of stalls required.

The city planners will take into account the stops at Fort and Garry on Portage Ave, the Main St stops along side, and the Graham Ave stops again at Fort and Garry.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 11:20 PM
surely you agree with me

Artis were the only stakeholders who did not take part in the Portage and Main seminar the Biz put on a couple months ago.

The cynical side of me wonders about the timing of this. That pad was used as a shiny bauble to convince the city to agree to close the intersection for 40 years. 37 years later, the agreement is coming up for renewal. Is this the second verse, same as the first?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:21 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Granted Main St has some buildings that are heavily underused it still costs money to tear something down. It all comes down to opportunity costs first.
Such as 272 Main St. It was renovated about 3-4 yrs. ago. Still hasn't got a tenant and whomever is the caretaker/landlord for it doesn't keep the windows cleaned that often.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Such as 272 Main St. It was renovated about 3-4 yrs. ago. Still hasn't got a tenant and whomever is the caretaker/landlord for it doesn't keep the windows cleaned that often.
That building was purchased in the summer and the plan was to convert into apartments. I believe the last owners couldn't rent office space because when they repoured the floors they made them too heavy and therefore couldn't pass inspection.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I like the idea of pumping as much residential as possible downtown. The area is so huge that office space and the potential for more office space if demand requires it, will always be there.

In the meantime, lets put some more underused real estate to use - like this.

Without a foundation to worry about, excavation, etc., it is conceivable that this new tower could rise very quickly, and if it is rentals, it could start as soon as the permits are in - as pre-sales will not determine if the project is viable.
That is paramount. It all comes down to density and critical mass. More housing is needed, and don't stop.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:54 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post
That building was purchased in the summer and the plan was to convert into apartments. I believe the last owners couldn't rent office space because when they repoured the floors they made them too heavy and therefore couldn't pass inspection.
Reinforcement of the floors is underway. Some really smart Engineering in this one, let me tell you.

A restaurant is close to signing to take at least half the main floor.

I imagine by this time next year it will be close to being ready for occupation.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It'd be interesting to know how many of the stalls in there currently are rented monthly, and how many are daily. Because I've never had a problem finding a spot there when going in for a few hours, so if they can just rent them to residential people, they should be fine. They have no obligation to provide any parking to casual/hourly patrons (that I know of).
The rent is 300-350 a month.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Reinforcement of the floors is underway. Some really smart Engineering in this one, let me tell you.

I imagine by this time next year it will be close to being ready for occupation.
Excellent news! Hopefully the restaurant does well enough to survive until sky city and this new apartment tower have opened up. That Ivory restaurant always seems so dead when I go by.

272 Main has a surface lot right next to it...I wonder if it's owned by the owners of the building, in which case a temporary summer patio for the restaurant could be in order.

South main is just so bizarre. It's been having an identity crisis for quite some time now. Hopefully the proximity to these new towers is a catalyst for new development. I'm curious to see what Earl's will unveil next, too.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Great spot for a restaurant.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Taking into account the existing foundation, any idea how long it would take to get this tower rising?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:46 AM

Quote:

I can't even imagine.

That's awesome. I like entrance of the building. Never seen the inside

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 2:03 AM

I'm curious to see what will be in the center portion of the 360 main proposal, between the two towers. Maybe amenities for the apartments? Like a terrace type of deal, with a pool, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan