HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Surprised this thread has been allowed to go on as long as it has. I guess SSP policy has changed?
Are you new? Topics like this is the whole reason SSP exists, they love talking about blight in Northeastern/Midwest cities. And they say the same things over and over and over again for literally over a decade.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 4:42 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Are you new? Topics like this is the whole reason SSP exists, they love talking about blight in Northeastern/Midwest cities. And they say the same things over and over and over again for literally over a decade.
And the sprawl of sunbelt cities...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:06 PM

Two more hated for Ontario:

Sudbury - Pollutants from Inco or Falconbridge at one point, caused paint damage to cars when it rained..That and it looks like the freaking moon! This resource city was founded on an old meteor crash, hence the lunar landscape of barren rock.No trees, just black rock..It's gotten better over the years though. Scroll to 2.10 to see what much of the city looked like, and I remember this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcJ9yhlK3Fc

I don't know if this is true or not, but there was a rumour at one time that NASA tested their lunar equipment there.

Then there's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aC2mhtT-Zo

Hamilton - There was once a saying.."My gf asked me to kiss her where it stinks, so I brought her to Hamilton". End

It seems to me that both London and Kingston gets some love for just being nice cities.

Last edited by Razor; Jul 2, 2020 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:17 PM

Sarnia has to be disfavored within Ontario. It has enormous chemical plants that stink up/pollute a huge radius and a rather pathetic downtown.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:21 PM

Delete

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:21 PM
E pluribus unum

Isn't Sudbury where they film Letterkenny? That alone should bump it up a few notches above "least-favoured"

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:25 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

taking a look at NY suburbs:

In CT, least favored would be Bridgeport or Waterbury
Most favored: Stamford or Norwalk

Stamford

Strawberry Hill in Stamford, Connecticut Skyline Aerial by David Oppenheimer, on Flickr

New Jersey:
Most favored, Jersey City followed by Newark
Least favored: Camden and Trenton

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:40 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Two more hated for Ontario:

Sudbury - Pollutants from Inco or Falconbridge at one point, caused paint damage to cars when it rained..That and it looks like the freaking moon! This resource city was founded on an old meteor crash, hence the lunar landscape of barren rock.No trees, just black rock..It's gotten better over the years though. Scroll to 2.10 to see what much of the city looked like, and I remember this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcJ9yhlK3Fc

I don't know if this is true or not, but there was a rumour at one time that NASA tested their lunar equipment there.

Then there's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aC2mhtT-Zo

Hamilton - There was once a saying.."My gf asked me to kiss her where it stinks, so I brought her to Hamilton". End

It seems to me that both London and Kingston gets some love for just being nice cities.
Sudbury is extremely relevant for physicists though, due to SNOLAB, so it has that going for it. Many great discoveries have been made there (like the fact that neutrinos oscillate so the deficit of electron neutrinos from fusion processes in the sun is not evidence that the sun is dying).

Once you get to the surface though, I hear Sudbury isn't great.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
And the sprawl of sunbelt cities...
The US according to SSP:

Coastal cities - overpriced shitholes
Sunbelt cities - sprawled-out shitholes
Rustbelt cities - blighted shitholes
Rural areas - redneck shitholes

AMERICA........ FUCK NO!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:59 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Sarnia has to be disfavored within Ontario. It has enormous chemical plants that stink up/pollute a huge radius and a rather pathetic downtown.
I'm sure it punches above its weight though, also has higher bus ridership than Boston and Philadelphia, and several condo towers ergo - a gem of urbanism

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:11 PM

Ssiguy's post in the other thread is the perfect encapsulation about people's attitudes about Toronto, not just across the whole province, but across all of Canada:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...1&postcount=24

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:08 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
and I only brought up East St. Louis to refute the ridiculous suggestion that Chicago is anywhere close to the least favored city in IL. wasn't trying to start a derelict-d*ck measuring contest.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:43 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
to refute the ridiculous suggestion that Chicago is anywhere close to the least favored city in IL.
It wasn't a ridiculous suggestion, I simply interpreted the thread question differently than you did.

If you asked 100 random Illinoisians what their favorite city in the state is, the #1 answer would undoubtedly be Chicago.

Conversely, if you asked 100 random Illinoisians what their least favorite city in the state is, the #1 answer would undoubtedly be Chicago as well.

This is probably a common phenomenon in states that are so thoroughly dominated by a single giant alpha city as Illinois is by Chicago. The situation breeds large amounts of both favor and contempt.

It's kinda hard to live in Illinois and be indifferent about Chicago. It fucking runs the whole state, for better or worse, depending on your perspective.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 3, 2020 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Once you get to the surface though, I hear Sudbury isn't great.
Sudbury is on an old meteor cash crater in the Cambrian Shield. The whole city is built on pretty much bald rock, and is not very attractive..It's improved, but large undeveloped parts of it looks, or at least used to look like you were on a barren moon or planet...Lots of blasting for any new development..It is however a regional centre and University town that serves a larger area, so it is well serviced and can be fairly busy for a small metro of about 165,000. It's like the faux capital of North Eastern Ontario, so it gets a lot of regional out of towners coming in for services. Especially health and the University. It kind of acts larger then what it should be if that makes any sense. Yes, the city has lots going for it, and has done really well for starting out as basically a mining town.It's just darn ugly!

Last edited by Razor; Jul 3, 2020 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
When I randomly dropped into a streetview of Highland Park, it looked a world better than ESL. The commercial corridor is largely intact, though many of the storefronts/buildings are vacant. They also have fast food restaurants and strip malls- not great from an urban perspective, but at least a sign of economic activity, which appears to be completely lacking in ESL.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4047...7i16384!8i8192

The residential area I dropped in on looked decent, too. The homes are handsome, though you can see abandonment and decay scattered in:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3972...7i16384!8i8192

It seems like there are actually plenty of other spots in Detroit that look more like the utter devastation of ESL. Places like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3703...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3760...7i16384!8i8192
This is near your last link...

https://goo.gl/maps/N5UjYio4C7Ff9fmx5

Interesting interpretation of air conditioning...I'm sure little outside hot air can get in

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions