HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 2:02 AM

I drove by the Green Line a few weeks ago when I was up there... It's going to do wonders for the connectivity between downtown and Victory. It will finally start to feel like one cohesive area (especially now that they are also revamping the retail aspects so it isn't so "upscale"). This line is really going to link the two areas for pedestrians and concert/sports goers alike.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 2:35 AM

Thanks for the photo updates. Very exciting for Dallas.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 4:56 AM
Closed account

Awesome. I am slightly jealous.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 3:10 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Looking good! I'm really digging that Fair Park station too. It seems everything was thought of here, right down to the appropriate typeface. You should be proud.
The State Fair and the City of Dallas have donated extra funds to make the Fair Park Station super! Being the first and last impression of the Park and Fair by many, that's important.

The Green Line trains will be stuffed to maximum capacity during the Fair.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 8:15 PM
Administrator

Can someone explain the purpose of the bollards running along the tracks I see in some pics? Their positioning seems inconsistent to me, so I don't understand why they're there.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 8:46 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Can someone explain the purpose of the bollards running along the tracks I see in some pics? Their positioning seems inconsistent to me, so I don't understand why they're there.
They''re to hold up chains or fences to control pedestrian traffic. Chains and fences are present at many Dart train stations.

Here's a few examples at Red and Blue line stations.

I would think some sort of pedestrian control would be welcomed and needed at the front gate to Fair Park.
I believe chains and fences aren't present at every train station, but I believe you'll find them at every side platform station.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 8:57 PM
Administrator

Aha... In the one pic, they look like the type of bollards used as a crash barrier. But the placement only made sense for keeping cars from hitting trains in one pic. Now I know why! Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 8:02 PM

Hopefully Ninjatune doesn't mind me stealing a couple of his pics, but he posted these on the DFW Metropolis boards taken over near Fair Park I believe where they shut down some streets, apparently running some drills with police and first responders...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninjatune/

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 9:56 PM

What make & model of trains does DART use?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 10:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

I don't know if they have a name (as far as I know they are custom built), but they were made by Kinki Sharyo, based in Osaka, Japan.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 12:19 AM

Lightbulb

Yes, DART uses Kinkisharyo light rail vehicles (LRV).
http://www.kinkisharyo-usa.com/
Instead of buying many more vehicles for the Green line, DART is extending all 115 LRVs they have now into SLRVs.

LRV arriving at Park Lane station

SLRV near Park Lane station

Two SLRVs hold almost as many passengers as three LRVs.
LRV = 76 seated, 160 total.
SLRV = 100 seated, 200 total.
Some math:
LRV= 2 x 76 = 152, 2 x 160 = 320, 3 x 76 = 228, 3 x 160 = 480
SLRV = 2 x 100 = 200, 2 x 200 = 400, 3 x 100 = 300, 3 x 200 = 600

Adding a "C" section to a LRV is common overseas, DART will be the first to do so in America.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 12:50 AM
Show me the blueprints

Pretty cool little SLRV animation on the KinkiSharyo website if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.kinkisharyo-usa.com/dart_dallas_slrv.html

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 1:10 AM

Lightbulb

Cool animation. Check out the video too at the same link.

To add, only SLRVs will be used on the Green Line, while Dart will still be using some existing, pre-modification LRVs on the Blue and Red Lines until all the LRVs are changed into SLRVs, and all the light rail stations have been remodeled for level boarding with the SLRVs. The new Green Line stations will be built for level boarding which is why only SLRVs will be used on the new line.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 4:00 AM

Time lapse construction of the Fair Park Station...

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:49 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Cool animation. Check out the video too at the same link.

To add, only SLRVs will be used on the Green Line, while Dart will still be using some existing, pre-modification LRVs on the Blue and Red Lines until all the LRVs are changed into SLRVs, and all the light rail stations have been remodeled for level boarding with the SLRVs. The new Green Line stations will be built for level boarding which is why only SLRVs will be used on the new line.
So is the plan to basically phase out all LRVs into the SLRVs in the future or will they use both?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
So is the plan to basically phase out all LRVs into the SLRVs in the future or will they use both?
I believe all of the current LRVs will be modified into SLRVs...

Quote:
Yesterday, Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) began to operate “super light-rail vehicles” (SLRV) — a modified version of its LRVs that feature additional capacity.

The agency currently is upgrading its 115-car fleet by placing inserts at the cars’ articulation point. The new center section features seating capacity for an additional 25 passengers and allows for level boarding, enabling passengers with disabilities — as well as those with strollers, bicycles, etc. — to step or roll directly onto the trains.

Additional SLRVs will be placed in service after they’re converted. The vehicle conversion is expected to be complete by 2010’s end. Designed in partnership with rail vehicle manufacturer Kinkisharyo, the inserts are being assembled at two DART facilities.

DART currently is modifying platforms to accommodate the level boarding. Work began in November 2007 and will continue for two years.
http://www.progressiverailroading.co...e.asp?id=17086

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 2:03 AM

Dallas l DART light rail expanison: Orange line

I guess since the Green line gets it's own thread, so too must the Orange. Even though the Orange line has been u/c for a couple of months, I thought this was big news worth posting...

Quote:
The good stuff:

By borrowing $1 billion at really good rates (thanks Uncle Sam, for the Build America Bonds), DART now has the money it needs to build the third phase of the Orange Line, which will take the rail cars to DFW International Airport by 2013. This should end a lot of controversy and get plenty of folks in Irving excited.
The Orange line (and this news) is big, probably the biggest since light rail was first planned, because it connects the system and downtown Dallas (and by extension downtown Fort Worth) to DFW International. I am of the opinion that having DFW, Love Field, the Irving Convention Center/Las Colinas and the Dallas Convention Center all connected via rail will be a HUGE addition to the region.

Quote:
The 14-mile Orange Line is a key component of a regional rail expansion that will lead to the doubling of DART's rail network to more than 90 miles by 2013. The Orange Line will run parallel with the Green Line through Downtown Dallas to Bachman Station in Northwest Dallas. From Bachman Station, the Orange Line heads northwest to the Las Colinas Urban Center in 2011 and Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in 2013.
http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/orangeline.asp

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 2:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

question: will the orange and green lines share track from downtown to the bachman station before they branch off?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
question: will the orange and green lines share track from downtown to the bachman station before they branch off?
Yes.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 10:54 PM
Ya Dig!!

That is great news. Are there any hints to where they will actually place the station?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation