HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 6:01 PM

It's beyond me how anyone could think this nondescript banality of a tower is an adequate replacement for the iconic twins or an appropriate architectural response to 9/11, such as was found, for example, in Foster's majestic Kissing Towers.

This is typical David Childs crap. How sad.

Go ahead, dump all over this post. I won't be reading any responses, though, so you're wasting your time.

Amazing how lemmings can be induced to fall over the cliff of conformity.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 7:52 PM
Discovered in 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
It's beyond me how anyone could think this nondescript banality of a tower is an adequate replacement for the iconic twins or an appropriate architectural response to 9/11, such as was found, for example, in Foster's majestic Kissing Towers.

Go ahead, dump all over this post. I won't be reading any responses, though, so you're wasting your time.

Yay for trolling! I think it's a gorgeous tower, plus the new technology being used to construct it and make it safer than any other building on the planet makes it even more symbolic.

Once the entire complex is built out, I don't think anyone will be able to deny the beauty.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:

Yes because two giant grey boxes are just wonders of beauty....

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 1:47 AM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
Yes because two giant grey boxes are just wonders of beauty....
They were more than that. Far more.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 7:20 PM

The tower is a total bore, no matter how many beautiful photos of it have been posted (and the photography in this thread has been exquisite).

It's a soulless corporate icicle, a vertical morgue for cubicle monkeys, without the slightest nod to the events of 9/11. As a replacement for the Twins it is a disgrace. Anyone can see that the toothpick on top is laughably out of proportion to the tower below. The radome would have alleviated that, but still could not have saved this hapless tower. Too bad New York failed to architecturally honor the events of 9/11.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 8:15 PM

Truly you have a dizzying intellect.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:
The tower is a total bore, no matter how many beautiful photos of it have been posted (and the photography in this thread has been exquisite).

It's a soulless corporate icicle, a vertical morgue for cubicle monkeys, without the slightest nod to the events of 9/11. As a replacement for the Twins it is a disgrace. Anyone can see that the toothpick on top is laughably out of proportion to the tower below. The radome would have alleviated that, but still could not have saved this hapless tower. Too bad New York failed to architecturally honor the events of 9/11.
The tower obviously echoes the original Twins, especially towards the top. The towers height is the same as the original twins. There is a massive, beautiful memorial at its base. You're in no position to be talking about "honoring 9/11". You may or may not know this, but many "cubicle monkeys" died on 9/11, doing their jobs, just like so many other New Yorkers in skyscrapers all throughout the city. I'm just going to assume you're a troll.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 9:02 PM
SUS BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbender View Post
Truly you have a dizzying intellect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spantik View Post
You're in no position to be talking about "honoring 9/11". You may or may not know this, but many "cubicle monkeys" died on 9/11, doing their jobs, just like so many other New Yorkers in skyscrapers all throughout the city. I'm just going to assume you're a troll.
Seriously? Let the guy have his opinion.

Get over yourselves and don't be so sensitive to opinions you don't agree with. This is a discussion board, what do you expect?

Oh and the "spire" looks like shit.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 9:48 PM

Funny how the originals, which were not considered spectacular in design by any stretch of the imagination, have been lauded as such now. I thought they were pretty, but they really didn't have as much character as old style buildings, such as the Empire State Building, and the Chrysler Building. This new tower, at least ,is beautiful in its own right. Certainly no worse that the originals.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:25 AM
I put the F-U in FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
Funny how the originals, which were not considered spectacular in design by any stretch of the imagination, have been lauded as such now.
Because in hindsight things are often greater than they actually were and there certainly wasn't much great about those giant, featureless twins, other than their staggering size/presence.

Not long after 9/11 I made the mistake of saying on this forum that the destruction of the twin towers was the one thing I liked that the terrorists did, they removed the horrible architectural blight they were and I was treated like I was one of the 19 hijackers. I was only talking about the buildings but people here didn't seem to get that and pilloried me mercilessly.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:21 AM
Come As You Are

No wonder they treated you like that. Happy that iconic buildings were destroyed simply because you yourself found them visually unattractive.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
This was, by far, the most attractive design, in my opinion.
I like that design, but it seems near impossible to build. especially with the angles making the building very thin in some places and wide at others.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 2:29 AM
A Realist

Quote:

Didn't you just say in your previous post you wouldn't come back to answer?

Never stop. Never stop.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurmiles View Post
In other words, they don't wanna hear anything related to twins because it hurts their inner feelings, or some sort of PTSD that wants to avoid any form of twins.
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't do it because it 'hurts my feeiings'. It's a building, it's not something to get emotionally invested over unless youu built it yourself. I do it because I live in this little place called reality land. A place where you can't spend tousands of dollarts to demolish foundations, subway lines, underground tunnels etc. Just to build a banal twin which in the end will look quite tacky anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurmiles View Post
The terrorists had dreamed [U]the world without twin towers
Also, where did this wierd urban myth come from? The terrorists did not do 9/11 because they wanted the twins gone, they did it because of U.S foreign policy. The twins had nothing to do with it, it would just leave a bigger impact because they were so big.

I just never understood where this came from.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture