HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:58 AM

If that Atari hotel (which is the coolest and most unique thing to be proposed here) is actually built, then Phoenix will be in a new phase where people will think of it as an actual big city where things like this can be built.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:33 AM

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...dkbw6ejlUR9oqs

More renderings here as well as a mention of Pedal Haus coming downtown, to the MonOrchid building.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...dkbw6ejlUR9oqs

More renderings here as well as a mention of Pedal Haus coming downtown, to the MonOrchid building.
Is monorchid closing?

Wish they would go to Desoto, that would be perfect for PedalHaus

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Is monorchid closing?

Wish they would go to Desoto, that would be perfect for PedalHaus
I don’t think they’re closing. A few months ago, TNS filed for a use permit to remove the parking spaces along the alleyway for expanded patio seating. I initially thought it was for Dressing Room but this makes sense if to allow for Pedal Haus in the back. We’ll see in the coming months.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:03 AM
Skyriser

This night render of the Atari Hotel is insane:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:30 AM

Yes, I clearly know I’m a drag with this comment, but that thing looks way too retro to me. Looks like something that belongs on Camelback or Melrose. Straight out the 60s/70s. My taste is probably too modern & im just bitching. But I just don’t think this project signifies Phoenix is an “actual big city”.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:20 AM

Diversity is such an awful trait for a city to have, right?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:51 AM
Skyriser

That's 10 stories of neon lighting up a bland midrise area that will be visible from 7th and the 10. Hard to complain about that.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
That's 10 stories of neon lighting up a bland midrise area that will be visible from 7th and the 10. Hard to complain about that.
I concur. Speaking of which, I wish during some of these building remodels they could add some facade lighting to the exterior of buildings. Stewart did a good job with that. Driving through Tempe on the 202 at night has anyone awestruck with all the blue neon.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
I concur. Speaking of which, I wish during some of these building remodels they could add some facade lighting to the exterior of buildings. Stewart did a good job with that. Driving through Tempe on the 202 at night has anyone awestruck with all the blue neon.
It is interesting to notice that most of the development along Tempe Town Lake has some form of neon/ LED lighting scheme incorporated into each project. Not sure if it's part of the design guidelines for that area or if its all voluntary?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
Yes, I clearly know I’m a drag with this comment, but that thing looks way too retro to me. Looks like something that belongs on Camelback or Melrose. Straight out the 60s/70s. My taste is probably too modern & im just bitching. But I just don’t think this project signifies Phoenix is an “actual big city”.
I think it looks like an 80's sci fi (bladerunner as somebody said) and I think its awesome.

I mean its ridiculous and definitely not in the right spot nor big enough to make an impact on the skyline but it seems like a cool if gimmicky kind of thing.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:23 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I think it looks like an 80's sci fi (bladerunner as somebody said) and I think its awesome.

I mean its ridiculous and definitely not in the right spot nor big enough to make an impact on the skyline but it seems like a cool if gimmicky kind of thing.
Maybe a little odd. But I think it's location being nearby Found:Re may make it a unique hotel area. Plus if the Airsteam/parking garage thing takes off, this will be a very interesting looking block.

And yes, very Blade Runner'ish indeed! My all time favorite flick!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Maybe a little odd. But I think it's location being nearby Found:Re may make it a unique hotel area. Plus if the Airsteam/parking garage thing takes off, this will be a very interesting looking block.

And yes, very Blade Runner'ish indeed! My all time favorite flick!
The Atari Hotel is very very cool.

Don't forget Cambria a couple blocks east as well in addition to Found:Re and the (hopefully) Atari Hotel.

That area really needs to have the large empty lots filled up though to be a destination. Is anything from True North in the immediate construction pipeline? I can't keep tabs on that area.

Plus what's the deal with the north east corner of 3rd Street & Portland? Did that whole huge lot almost over to 5th St ever start construction?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:22 PM

Its time for the City to really start pushing downtown for businesses.

We are getting buy in for entertainment, hotels, apartments and condos. But with this kind of job growth if we could get just a couple of mid-size companies to locate downtown or some more major operations like Quicken I believe we would be able to kick-start some real office growth.

20,000 health services and 6,000 Professional services, if we could snag just 20% of those to locate downtown that would be a couple of of office towers.

https://azbigmedia.com/business/jobs...ks-2nd-in-u-s/

Quote:
Arizona’s job growth ranked second in the nation last year, according to new data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Arizona added 84,400 jobs added between December 2018 and December 2019 for 2.8 percent job growth.

“With more than 80,000 jobs added last year, Arizona has become a jobs magnet, and we have no intention of slowing down,” said Gov. Doug Ducey. “Our focus will continue to be on cutting red tape and eliminating unnecessary regulations, while empowering people to get to work. My thanks to all our partners in the Legislature who have helped make Arizona competitive for people and businesses, and all the entrepreneurs and employees around the state working hard to grow our economy.”

Since 2015, Arizona has added more than 350,000 new private-sector jobs. From 2015 to 2018, Arizona also saw the fastest decrease in its poverty rate of any state in the U.S. — equal to approximately 175,000 Arizonans who have lifted themselves out of poverty.

Job growth in 2019 was driven largely by employment gains in sectors including trade, transportation, and utilities (17,700), education and health services (20,400), and professional and business services (6,600).

Arizona ranked third in percentage population growth rate in 2019, according to estimates by U.S. Census Bureau. Arizona welcomed more than 120,000 residents from 2018 to 2019, a growth rate of nearly 1.7 percent, which bests states like Utah (1.662), Texas (1.283), Washington (1.210), Colorado (1.185), Oregon (0.857) and New Mexico (0.195).

State Policy Reports recently ranked Arizona fourth in economic momentum as well as in the top five for growth in personal income, employment and population increases. In addition, manufacturing job growth in Arizona is at a 30-year high.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:35 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The Atari Hotel is very very cool.

Don't forget Cambria a couple blocks east as well in addition to Found:Re and the (hopefully) Atari Hotel.

That area really needs to have the large empty lots filled up though to be a destination. Is anything from True North in the immediate construction pipeline? I can't keep tabs on that area.

Plus what's the deal with the north east corner of 3rd Street & Portland? Did that whole huge lot almost over to 5th St ever start construction?
...and hopefully Meow-Wolf. The area could really rock with these hotels. As for the rest of True North, I believe they have started or are getting ready to start on the 5-story Knipe office building. They were clearing out the land a couple weeks ago and pulled a lot of permits in the last month for it.

The lot on the NE corner of 3rd/Portland was moving dirt about a month ago. I haven't been by to get an update on it since. Maybe I will swing by today and see where it stands and grab an update pic if it's worth it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:38 PM

Quote:
...and hopefully Meow-Wolf. The area could really rock with these hotels. As for the rest of True North, I believe they have started or are getting ready to start on the 5-story Knipe office building. They were clearing out the land a couple weeks ago and pulled a lot of permits in the last month for it.

The lot on the NE corner of 3rd/Portland was moving dirt about a month ago. I haven't been by to get an update on it since. Maybe I will swing by today and see where it stands and grab an update pic if it's worth it.
Seeing any of those fallow dusty lots under construction would be awesome.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:46 PM

Quote:

They have work ongoing at the Knipe house with a restaurant still planned to open there in a few months.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:18 AM

I think the Atari Hotel is awesome.

However, I'm afraid at what the upkeep costs will be to keep up with the times. They will need to upgrade tech equipment once a year or two (at most). So add that on top of remodeling every 5 years or so. If they value engineer it, it could be good for demo for something else later.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
They will need to upgrade tech equipment once a year or two (at most).
No. It's more like every 5-7.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:16 AM
Chase M

Don't know if this has already been posted...

Consultant Says Downtown Phoenix Needs Hotel And District

Graphic PDF Presentation in LINK BELOW!

https://kjzz.org/content/1411096/con...l-and-district

By Christina Estes
Published: Monday, January 27, 2020 - 5:05am

A market study involving the Phoenix Convention Center points out challenges and opportunities as the city considers what to do with the South Building.

The South Building covers more than 9 acres right across from Chase Field. It’s the center’s oldest building and used mostly for local and smaller events. Developers have approached Phoenix about buying the city-owned property but an outside consultant told the economic development subcommittee that’s not a good move right now.

“Our recommendation is you can’t lose that interior space because that’s the only place you’d have to ever expand your convention center if you ever wanted to,” said John Kaatz with Convention Sports & Leisure International.

He said convention planners want one main space, not areas spread out for blocks.

In the short term, he suggests Phoenix work to get a hotel with 800 to 1,200 rooms that’s attached to or adjacent to the convention center. Based on his research, Kaatz said Phoenix falls short in hotel inventory within one-half mile of the center. Phoenix has 3,838 rooms, compared to the median of 7,800, which included Phoenix and 12 other markets.

He noted Phoenix has 125 dining places within a half-mile from the center which is the median number for the group and pointed out what’s lacking: a brand for the area similar to San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter, Nashville’s Music City Center and Seattle’s Pike Street.

“The area when you walk around the convention center, you’re not in a district,” he said. “It doesn’t scream this is an entertainment zone that we can go to market with and beat, in some cases, the Austins, or the Nashvilles, or the San Diegos or the San Antonios.”

In addition to developing a district, he suggested the center maximize its use of outdoor space by adding areas for learning and make technological improvements to welcome augmented virtual reality opportunities.

“Imagine a medical company’s got a booth on the floor rather than moving in this million dollar piece of equipment, they have to go to special areas which, again, is reinventing some of your existing space,” Kaatz said. “Now I’m walking through their factory in Frankfurt and I’m literally looking at the equipment and they don’t have to bring it all over here.”

He said a recent survey showed 19% of planners used augmented reality at events in the past and 54% plan to use it in the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest