HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 10:57 PM

Apparently it does!.......

And in a quirk of numerical symmetry......you're the 10,000th post!

You win a grocery basket of S&H Green Stamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Just wondering if this really does go to 501...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
So for the last month, I've been working at a company in the Helms Bakery building. I've always loved this place. I put these two pictures on my computer desktop:

Alan Weeks Collection

C. Younkers

They've done a beautiful job renovating this place:

Helms

with one exception. Here is a picture of the Helms H. It's on every sign in the place:

Helms

Now here is a picture of one of the fifty concrete trashcans in the complex:

Notice anything unusual? How about the fact that they're upside down? They spend all that money on the renovation, go to the expense of creating Helms H trash receptacles, and then install them upside down. Ah, L.A.
that would bug me if i worked there lol....maybe the cyliders are upside down.They had an antique alley there about 15 yrs ago,and near the entrance was a old restored helms truck,they would let you toot the whistle,and had fake bread and donuts in it,it was a great touch.the stuff in the store was great also,we got my head and footboard there super cheap,they also had a ton of old radio consoles,i was pretty sad when they closed along with the one at farmers market.

and isnt that a nice little pe station in the alan weeks photo.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
that would bug me if i worked there lol....maybe the cyliders are upside down.They had an antique alley there about 15 yrs ago,and near the entrance was a old restored helms truck,they would let you toot the whistle,and had fake bread and donuts in it,it was a great touch.the stuff in the store was great also,we got my head and footboard there super cheap,they also had a ton of old radio consoles,i was pretty sad when they closed along with the one at farmers market.

and isnt that a nice little pe station in the alan weeks photo.
Nowadays, there's a cute little art piece on the Washington Blvd side that has half a bread truck crashed into the side of the building with bread falling out the back into an Olympic O's shaped pool. I'm actually working in the Beacon Laundry building which is just across the alley, which is now a promenade from Helms.

As for the trash cans, no, you can simply flip them. There's an opening on top (bottom) and the bottom (top) is cemented to a base. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 12:10 AM

Congrats to all on the thread making it to 10,000 posts+, and more than 500 pages (and to still be here).

I started reading from page 1 several months ago, literally every post, and I'm currently up to page 388! I also started reading from a page in the 450's when I first joined the discussion a few weeks ago. The gap is closing!!

There are several buildings I'd like to discuss that I know will fit in great here, but I'll hold my tongue until I get all the way through the thread and make sure they haven't be discussed yet on the 80 or so pages I still have to read...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 12:23 PM

Hi Arch2000, If you know the name of a building or simply its street you can search this thread easily--as long as you are logged in. When logged in you can see a "search this thread" box up near the top-right edge of the page. You do not need to read the entire thread before posting. A little duplication is not a sin.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 12:39 AM

Train Tunnel Follow Up

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is taken at the south entrance of the tunnel looking north

Again looking north, just inside the tunnel. The white spot seen in the distance is the north mouth of the tunnel

Just as I was leaving and about half-way up the embankment, a train came by. I wasn't in the best position, but was able to snap it as it entered the tunnel

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 12:54 AM

Fantastic shots, Frank. Right down on the tracks.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 1:18 AM

Thanks G_W it was fun. The Santa Anna's are blowing today, so it was a perfect Fall day

Last edited by Mayor Shaw; Oct 27, 2012 at 1:20 AM. Reason: to finish my thought

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 2:44 AM

I certainly wasn't expecting this. 1875/1920 in the shadow of four levels of freeway.

posted by Mayor Shaw

Thanks for traipsing down there....it's much appreciated.

Man, do I miss the Santa Anna's.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 27, 2012 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 3:31 AM

I found this photo on an old cd of mine.

I googled it and referenced it back to this site. http://www.radiocityhollywood.com/

below: The building still stands at 1440 North Highland Avenue.

google street view

Does anyone know the original purpose of this building...even before it's KECA days?
Could it possibly have been a fire station? (note the three arched doors fronting the street)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 27, 2012 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 3:48 AM

I found this photograph on ebay several years ago. The only information is Los Angeles.

below: There appears to be a pastoral mural, or sign, between the windows on the facade.

below: There's one on the right side as well. (to me it looks like a tranquil pond with trees)

above: I can't quite make out the street numbers. Is it 1033...1053....or perhaps 1055? I can't quite make it out.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 27, 2012 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 4:36 AM

The Hotel Van Nuys, Main Street Los Angeles. I found this on ebay just this week.

ebay

The mystery is: What is this small 'museum' that appears in the lower left hand corner??

I can't quite make out this sign.

detail/ebay

above: Notice the small boy on his bicycle..lower right.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 27, 2012 at 5:10 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 5:29 AM

I think that sign reads Curios. We are looking at it from the backside, reading right to left

The 1915 City Directory shows the Dromgold-Schroeder Co. at 1033 S. Los Angeles:

1033 South Los Angeles today:

Last edited by Mayor Shaw; Oct 27, 2012 at 6:34 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 11:43 AM

Last edited by so-cal-bear; Aug 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 12:44 PM

And it appears a small sign on the fascia (at the left) says (c)urio store.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Oct 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I certainly wasn't expecting this. 1875/1920 in the shadow of four levels of freeway.

posted by Mayor Shaw

Thanks for traipsing down there....it's much appreciated.

Man, do I miss the Santa Anna's.
__
When I see this I don't think of balmy Santa Ana's, I think of how cold it was on that freight train I hopped one night out of the north end of the LA freight yard. When I went under this sign and into that tunnel it was about 11:00 PM on a moonless night. My buddy Rick and I were huddled behind the wheels of a semi trailer on a flatbed rail car. We thought we were catching a freight up to Santa Barbara, but woo-hoo we were on our way across the mountains and up to Bakersfield. If you want noire it's hard to beat freight yards. The Bakersfield yard at 4 AM was particularly hard to beat.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 4:31 PM

Event: George Mann's Lost Los Angeles (LAPL, 11/14/12, free)

On November 14, LAVA – The Los Angeles Visionaries Association and the On Bunker Hill time travel blog in association with the Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection and Photo Friends present George Mann’s Lost Los Angeles, a celebration of a newly-discovered treasure trove of mid-century photographs captured by the one-time Vaudeville dance sensation, and projected for the first time tonight in stunning 3-D Kodachrome. Join us as historians Richard Schave (Esotouric) and Nathan Marsak (On Bunker Hill) contextualize the places, 3-D experts Susan Pinsky and David Starkman (Reel 3-D) demystify the format’s history and technology, and Bunker Hill native son Gordon Pattison takes us on a virtual tour of his beloved neighborhood.

For more info on this free event, visit the LAVA website:
http://lavatransforms.org/mann3d

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Clark View Post
When I see this I don't think of balmy Santa Ana's, I think of how cold it was on that freight train I hopped one night out of the north end of the LA freight yard. When I went under this sign and into that tunnel it was about 11:00 PM on a moonless night. My buddy Rick and I were huddled behind the wheels of a semi trailer on a flatbed rail car. We thought we were catching a freight up to Santa Barbara, but woo-hoo we were on our way across the mountains and up to Bakersfield. If you want noire it's hard to beat freight yards. The Bakersfield yard at 4 AM was particularly hard to beat.
I thought this was an excerpt from a Raymond Chandler novel. It isn't.....is it?
__

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I found this photo on an old cd of mine.

I googled it and referenced it back to this site. http://www.radiocityhollywood.com/

below: The building still stands at 1440 North Highland Avenue.

google street view

Does anyone know the original purpose of this building...even before it's KECA days?
Could it possibly have been a fire station? (note the three arched doors fronting the street)
__
ER: The building seems to have been built as the block-long Knights of Columbus hall in the late '20s. The KoC hall had the address of 1441 N McCadden; I couldn't find much ready info on the the Highland end, but perhaps it was a theater. KECA seems to have become KABC in 1954; other tenants included Frank Flynn's insurance company and a business school. Lately, it's been home to studios for various creative pursuits.

Los Angeles Times July 29, 1956

Los Angeles Times June 10, 1936

Frank Flynn's operations seem to have also occupied the addresses between KECA and the little building down the street, which is also still there:

Google SV

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 9:31 PM

LAPL

This design of this ad from the 1932 city directory caught my eye a while back. I just noticed that the Neuner Corp was right next door to the "tongue depressor" building you posted not long ago, ER.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos